weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2016 - 52 Celebration added

Week 8 - Topical

This is a real PABD, I'm afraid. Most of the topical subjects in the national news about Europe etc have little or no relevance over here, and our local news is currently small stuff, so I stumbled across this idea. Our family has an involvement in the Air Cadets spanning three generations, and with their 75th anniversary being marked and publicised on a national basis last month this seems fairly topical.

I was setting up a shot of the stamp cover and badge to publicise them on the squadron's Facebook page etc and had the idea of combining them with the newspaper article for my Topical image. Then decided to add the jersey with the badges for first aid, Duke of Edinburgh award scheme, shooting etc to act as a background, and it all got a bit messy. Exposure was also a challenge with the dark jersey and white envelope. I've spent a week trying to come up with a better idea but I'm falling behind again so here it is.

08 Topical by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Moving swiftly on...

Week 09 - The Living World

One of my favourite places to walk the dogs is a local reservoir, and last weekend the first signs of Spring were beginning to show in the new growth and fresh colours. To me, this view shows the remnants of Autumn and Winter with the old heather and gorse on the hills, Spring in the green trees and new grass shoots, and the overgrown enclosure on the far bank underlines how nature takes over again when man leaves.

09 The Living World by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

2 Good images Andrea like the composition of Topical and love the colours and reflections for Living World

What a beautiful location Andrea - seasonal changes must refresh the view quite regularly. Love the calm waters and the excellent reflections. Idyllic :clap:

Hi Andrea,

Topical - If it's topical for you, then it's topical. No argument here.
As you said, there is quite a lot of range in that shot, from the white to the greys and black. Well done of getting a great exposure.

Living World - Good sharp image, great reflection and well lit. To my eyes, everything seems to be rising up towards the right. Is that a result of the perspective in the shot?

Hi Andrea

Topical is just that - well done for getting something for that and as Carl has said, WB is bang on (easy for us all to forget that sometimes). Since it's a self-confessed PABD shot, I won't spend too much time commenting on it.

Living world is a really nice and pleasing shot, but... and I want to say this without causing offence - it reminds me of a lot of the landscapes I sometimes take because I like what I see. I looked at them in the viewfinder and thought, "that works" and it wasn't until I got back to the computer and looked at them, thinking there was something missing. Especially compared with others' photos of landscapes which were always, "WOW!" For me, this is "nice" rather than "wow", so let me explain what I discovered with my shots...

I found it was about a combination of things: the light (flat, overcast days or blank blue skies rarely work - obviously around sunset and sunrise are classics), layers of interest throughout the image (immediate foreground, middle, background and finally sky) or strong leading lines and finally, processing to add the finishing touch.

What I think you have here is a really pleasing shot which looks attractive. It's a lovely spot, it is technically well composed and well captured and to me, it conveys a real sense of "place", of being there. So it's a good image and as others have rightly said, you get a big (y). But... I honestly think you're an even better photographer than that. Imagine if you'd shot that with the sun breaking over the horizon behind you, throwing golden light over those trees and the hill in the background. A boat or a rock on an intersection of thirds in the water in the immediate foreground and a 50:50 split of the horizon with that reflection mirroring the top half of the scene (one of the few times a 50:50 really works). That's just one idea/example which I think could make it into a truly stunning image and you'd have been perfectly capable of capturing it, because you're a good enough photographer.

So, sorry to waffle on - I think you've got a really good image, but... perhaps the next time you go out to get something similar you will be setting out to get a breathtaking image...

Hi Andrea

Topical ... good lighting and textures

The Living World ... pleasing and yes it says The Living World, but a bit soft and lacking dramatics maybe. :thinking:

Topical- I like that it is both topical and personal, and the props each have relevance to the story.

Living world- lovely calm landscape great reflection

Topical, its topical to you, so it works (y)

Cracking landscape, nice reflections Andrea :)

Topical - I really like this shot - very well composed and works really well for the theme.
Living World - beautiful scenery and wonderful reflection.

Topical- I like that it is both topical with good use of props

Living World - good landscape and reflection

2 Good images Andrea like the composition of Topical and love the colours and reflections for Living World

Thank you for looking in and commenting, Mark :)

Topical works well Andrea ...all the separate props bring the story together well.

Living world is a stunning shot ...what a beatiful location.

Thanks Susie, Topical was a challenge but I'm glad you like the location for the Living World image. Definitely one of my favourite places for a walk :)

What a beautiful location Andrea - seasonal changes must refresh the view quite regularly. Love the calm waters and the excellent reflections. Idyllic :clap:

Thanks Carl, yes the colours do change a lot throughout the year, and it's a great spot for reflections as long as there's no wind. I must make a point of going up there more regularly :)

Hi Andrea,

Topical - If it's topical for you, then it's topical. No argument here.
As you said, there is quite a lot of range in that shot, from the white to the greys and black. Well done of getting a great exposure.

Living World - Good sharp image, great reflection and well lit. To my eyes, everything seems to be rising up towards the right. Is that a result of the perspective in the shot?

Thanks for your thoughts on both images, Tim. I know what you mean about the second shot but I think it is the perspective as the reservoir is shaped a bit like a 50p coin and it's quite misleading when you try to line your shot! (y)

Hi Andrea - Topical - Thanks for the narrative - very interesting :) nicely composed and lots on "on theme" props !

The Living World - Beautiful capture of a beautiful place - loving the colours and reflection - really my kind of thing :)

Thanks, Jon :) The first one really was a challenge as I'm rubbish at arranging things like that, but I do love the way the 52 leads you to try new things and to improve the things you're not good at :) The second one is a favourite location and although it wasn't the best of light when I got there, the reflections were beautiful.

Love your living world what a great view.

Thank you, Clive, it really is :)

Hi Andrea

Topical is just that - well done for getting something for that and as Carl has said, WB is bang on (easy for us all to forget that sometimes). Since it's a self-confessed PABD shot, I won't spend too much time commenting on it.

Living world is a really nice and pleasing shot, but... and I want to say this without causing offence - it reminds me of a lot of the landscapes I sometimes take because I like what I see. I looked at them in the viewfinder and thought, "that works" and it wasn't until I got back to the computer and looked at them, thinking there was something missing. Especially compared with others' photos of landscapes which were always, "WOW!" For me, this is "nice" rather than "wow", so let me explain what I discovered with my shots...

I found it was about a combination of things: the light (flat, overcast days or blank blue skies rarely work - obviously around sunset and sunrise are classics), layers of interest throughout the image (immediate foreground, middle, background and finally sky) or strong leading lines and finally, processing to add the finishing touch.

What I think you have here is a really pleasing shot which looks attractive. It's a lovely spot, it is technically well composed and well captured and to me, it conveys a real sense of "place", of being there. So it's a good image and as others have rightly said, you get a big (y). But... I honestly think you're an even better photographer than that. Imagine if you'd shot that with the sun breaking over the horizon behind you, throwing golden light over those trees and the hill in the background. A boat or a rock on an intersection of thirds in the water in the immediate foreground and a 50:50 split of the horizon with that reflection mirroring the top half of the scene (one of the few times a 50:50 really works). That's just one idea/example which I think could make it into a truly stunning image and you'd have been perfectly capable of capturing it, because you're a good enough photographer.

So, sorry to waffle on - I think you've got a really good image, but... perhaps the next time you go out to get something similar you will be setting out to get a breathtaking image...

Paul, thank you so much for your thoughtful feedback. There's a lot of truth in what you say and you've reminded me to take more time about images like this when possible. It was a late afternoon visit so I was stuck with shooting one way across the water as the other was falling into deep shadow (it's set in a bowl of forestry land) and boats aren't permitted, but you are quite right that the potential is there with some more planning ahead of times and light. I will have to try some of your advice at a location where some of those ideas may work :) Thank you again for taking the time to make me think :)

Hi Andrea

Topical ... good lighting and textures

The Living World ... pleasing and yes it says The Living World, but a bit soft and lacking dramatics maybe. :thinking:

Thanks for looking in and commenting, David. It's not soft but in view of Paul's comments above I've been reminded to look harder for the dramatic!

Topical- I like that it is both topical and personal, and the props each have relevance to the story.

Living world- lovely calm landscape great reflection

Thank you for looking in and for those comments (y)

Topical, its topical to you, so it works (y)

Cracking landscape, nice reflections Andrea :)

Thank you, very kind :)

Topical - I really like this shot - very well composed and works really well for the theme.
Living World - beautiful scenery and wonderful reflection.

Thanks very much, Liz, especially for liking the first image! :)

Topical- I like that it is both topical with good use of props

Living World - good landscape and reflection

Thank you, Lee, for looking in and commenting :)

Week 10 - Spiky

My first choice for this theme has been inaccessible all week due to building works but I'm hoping to get there over the weekend, in which case it will be my 'Reshoot' image. In the meantime, I've faced my aversion to indoor shots to set up this one. It's partly inspired by Emma's image for this theme and partly an effort to do something like this from my 'half' 52 of last year.

10 Spiky - Teasel head by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yes, very nicely lit Andrea to get that graduated shadowing across the subject. An excellent shot that must surely banish your aversion to indoor photography.:clap:

Very nice lighting on the teasel, Andrea it makes it stand out very well (y)

Oh Yes....lovely teasel close-up. They do make great subjects.

Very good Andrea, I like that a lot, good details, well lit, well done

Thank you, Chris (y)

Nicely sharp shot Andrea. Strong black background, so well lit :)

Thank you, Tim :)

Good one! I like the details and the simple framing!

Thank you, Richard. I debated adding a thin frame but decided on a plain square crop in the end. Glad you like it.

Yes, very nicely lit Andrea to get that graduated shadowing across the subject. An excellent shot that must surely banish your aversion to indoor photography.:clap:

:D Thanks, Carl. It's the first time I've tried this and must admit I'm starting to see the attraction of controlling the light indoors. I used the same black fleece that I used behind the cat for my Camouflage image, a chair in a shadowy corner and an LED torch to focus the light from an angle so the background stayed black. I wish it could have a tad sharper though.

Very nice lighting on the teasel, Andrea it makes it stand out very well (y)

Thank you, I enjoyed experimenting with this :)

Oh Yes....lovely teasel close-up. They do make great subjects.

Thanks, Ruth, they do have lots of fantastic shapes and textures, and this one was certainly very spiky - the thorns on the stalk got me a couple of times :eek:

Like this a lot. Lighting is very well done and the really blackest of black background makes the subject pop. :clap:

Thank you, Chris. It was fun trying different things to get this result (y)

LED torch to focus the light from an angle so the background stayed black. I wish it could have a tad sharper though.
So much fun experimenting Andrea - love the learning process. I use an LED torch sometimes too but usually to help focus the camera and then off camera flash to do the rest through some white material just to soften the light a bit. Pretty soon you'll be so hooked, you'll be doing more indoors than out.

Amazing teasel detail :clap:

all that's lacking is the colour, but that wouldn't be possible under such conditions.

Hi Andrea, that's a good shot. The only slight crit I'd offer - because it's such a good shot - would be the high key lighting on the right (as we look) of the teasel doesn't allow for as much definition as you might otherwise be able to get? Contrast that side to the other, where for me it's much easier to pick out texture... at least for me!

But a great shot no matter what (y)

So much fun experimenting Andrea - love the learning process. I use an LED torch sometimes too but usually to help focus the camera and then off camera flash to do the rest through some white material just to soften the light a bit. Pretty soon you'll be so hooked, you'll be doing more indoors than out.

I can see how that would be possible, Carl :)

This is a fantastic shot Andrea - I'm pleased my shot started the thought process :) I think you have captured the detail beautifully and the lighting is spot on. I can't believe you haven't done much indoor stuff before!

Thanks, Emma, they're just packed with texture and small details, aren't they? I must admit it's been fun experimenting each time I've tried, so the 52 gets me out of my comfort zone and trying new things.

Super detail and lighting Andrea and I like the perfect black background ...it works really well.

Thanks, Susie - that's my son's favourite black fleece blanket again. I should probably buy my own, eh? :)

Amazing teasel detail :clap:

all that's lacking is the colour, but that wouldn't be possible under such conditions.

Thanks David. The colour held up fairly well under the LED light, but I always had B&W in mind for this one as it brought out the details and textures a bit more.

Hi Andrea, that's a good shot. The only slight crit I'd offer - because it's such a good shot - would be the high key lighting on the right (as we look) of the teasel doesn't allow for as much definition as you might otherwise be able to get? Contrast that side to the other, where for me it's much easier to pick out texture... at least for me!

But a great shot no matter what (y)

Thanks, Paul. You're right, and I do have one where the exposure was better but the focus was a bit off. :oops: :$ All part of the learning process....

Week 10 - Reshoot (Spiky)

This was actually my first choice for Spiky but I couldn't access it until this weekend due to building work at the church, hence the teasel image instead. This is the staked and chained 'Vampire Grave' in Malew, Isle of Man.

10 Spiky (reshoot) - Vampire Grave
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

The alleged vampire was a Mr Hassal who died aged 54, possibly a suicide. It is rumoured that at his wake a groan was heard from the corpse, whereupon a stake was driven through the body and it was buried under a heavy slab of slate with iron stakes at the corners and iron chains crossing the grave. Further stories suggest that when the stakes and chains were once removed there were mysterious sightings in the churchyard, so they were replaced and never moved again! Mrs Hassal was later buried in the same grave :eek:

With the churchyard wall behind the headstone and another headstone at the foot of this one, it was impossible to get a better angle without scrambling around on another grave, so although I'd prefer the nearest stake not to be so central, I couldn't avoid it. Hopefully the B&W processing and low POV give prominence to the spike in this nearest corner.

Last edited:
Ooh, I do like that Andrea! The processing works really well given the backstory - brooding sky etc.

The only tiny comment, which is only to do with the theme than the image as a standalone... is for "spiky" it feels slightly too tightly cropped at the top, since the spike we're looking at is nearly at the edge of the frame. If it were just a photo though I think it'd be absolutely spot on - composition is bang on otherwise (y)

Very dramatic image Andrea which is helped by the low POV which accentuates the height of the spikes and chains ... their prominence is helped by using that powerful sky as bg. Scary tale ... did you linger long? :eek:

Back