weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2016 - 52 Celebration added

Name
Andrea
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm in again. I posted 51 photos in 2013, just one in 2014, and reached the halfway point in 2015 but fell by the wayside due to life getting very busy and then being too far behind to catch up, but I enjoy the challenge so I'm back again for a fourth attempt.

My aim this year is firstly to FINISH! Secondly, I will take a new image for each theme and will not use an archive image, so I may fall behind at times but this year I will not give up. If that means posting something I am not 100% happy with, then I will do that with the aim of reshooting when the option arises.

Week 01 - Metal
Week 02 - Captive
Week 03 - Miniature
Week 04 - Happy
Week 05 - Abandoned
Week 06 - Camouflaged
Week 07 - Danger(ous)
Week 08 - Topical
Week 09 - The Living World
Week 10 - Spiky and Reshoot (Spiky)
Week 11 - Artificial
Week 12 - Personal
Week 13 - Effort
Week 14 - Technology
Week 15 - Horizontal
Week 16 - Vast
Week 17 - Rough
Week 18 - Covered
----
Week 52 - Celebration

Last edited:
Eeek! Due to illness and weeks of horrible weather (and my aversion to taking indoor, still life type photos!) I'm already five themes behind! It seems that if I can't go and get the image I want, I'll wait until the conditions are right and subsequently find myself trailing behind.

I know from last year when I got stuck halfway, and advice from others with more "52" experience than me, that I should "post and be damned" and return to the problem theme later with a reshoot, so my first few images this year may be compromises just to get me going. We're still being battered by endless rain and gale force winds here so even today, when there was a break in the rain, I found myself leaning into the wind to take photos! Can't wait for some better weather :)

Here's week 1 - Metal

As you can imagine, the salty sea air takes its toll on metal at the sea front and this hand rail is showing the effects of the local environment.

01 Metal
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Andrea, Looks like a great start to me. Beautiful colours and I like the way you have focused on the rust.

Hi Andrea

That's shallow and it works really well, says metal although there's not much left to paint over. :D

I like the colours and it certainly fits the metal theme I would have liked a bit more depth but that's personal preferance

Beautiful detail and colour Andrea. DoF is excellent - love it. Would make a terrific abstract. :clap:

Hi Andrea, Looks like a great start to me. Beautiful colours and I like the way you have focused on the rust.

Thanks Liz, I liked the contrast between the brown and the green and tried to isolate the patch of rusty metal from the green paint.

Yes a great start Andrea, good luck to keep going this year ...I'm so looking forward to better weather too ...I don't think we've had hardly a day without any rain and high wind :(
I really like the focus on this one and the green looks lovely and bright against the rust,

Thanks Susie, I really DO intend to finish this year! :angelic: I always prefer to get outside to take photos but the last two months have been almost unbroken rain and gales; very depressing! :grumpy:

Hi Andrea

That's shallow and it works really well, says metal although there's not much left to paint over. :D

Thanks David :) The salt water really takes a toll on those railings.

I like the colours and it certainly fits the metal theme I would have liked a bit more depth but that's personal preferance

Thanks, minx. I hoped the shallow DOF would isolate the metal peeping through the peeling paint.

Hi Andrea.
Great shot, very strong colours and very sharp at the point you want it. :clap:

Thanks, TIm (y)

Beautiful detail and colour Andrea. DoF is excellent - love it. Would make a terrific abstract. :clap:

Thanks Carl, I hadn't thought of that but I will definitely be making a return visit to try out some different angles when I'm not being blown sideways by the wind :)

Week 2 - Captive

I seem to have a thing for rust at the moment! I don't want to get further behind so I braved the 65mph coastal gusts yesterday to visit Fort Island and the circular Derby Fort, built in the 1500s as the English, Scottish and Manx fought for control of the Isle of Man. Looking up through the bars at the blue sky gives the feeling of being 'captive', although in fact I had to take this from outside the fort as it is locked.

02 Captive

Hi Andrea - I love the colours in metal and the exposure is spot on. I might prefer a tiny bit more DOF but that's being quibbly for the sake of it! Love it as a starter for 10.

Captive - very imaginative shot and well spotted. Maybe a squeeze more shadow detail but lovely cloud pattern behind really makes the image for me - the contrast is super.

A great pair of shots and looking forward to more of yours!

Hi Andrea.
I like what ou've done with this shot, it's a great find.
I may have been tempted to darken the 'inside' wall in PP so that it wasn't obvious you were outside in the light, but that's just a minor thing.

That's a nice image Andrea - like it. Well done coping wit the extreme lighting as well - you've managed to keep the darker details around the window without blowing the sky. Excellent.

Hi Andrea

great images to start your 52 challenge love the detail in Metal and in Captive too for that matter

Hi Andrea, I really like the 'captive' image, the contrast of the blue sky against the dark metal and stone, it does indeed give the feeling of being captive!

... gives the feeling of being 'captive' ... sure does.

(y)

Andrea Hi, rust is good, some many ways and places to photograph it, really liking the DoF of the Metal and the glimmer of hope through the window

Fantastic colours on your first shot and well focused on the rusty bit. The fort shot really does give a feeling of being captive and I would never have guessed that you took it from outside :clap:

Welcome back Andrea.

Metal and Captive....both excellent and theme fitting.

Glad you're feeling better!

My first visit to your 52, hope you have recovered from illness. This weather really isn't good for getting out is it, I'm looking forward to getting out for some of my shots later in the year as I take way to many indoor ones and want to change that this year.

Metal - nicely seen, I like the contrast in the colours of the rust and green metal. The Point of focus is perfect just where the rust starts and the very shallow DOF is something I like.
Captive - well done for getting out in 65mph winds! Good shot, says captive well especially with that blue sky through the bars.

Wow, :ty: for all the comments and feedback, and sorry I haven't been around for a few days. I will definitely get around to everyone's threads asap, and I hope to be up to date again by the weekend.

Hi Andrea - I love the colours in metal and the exposure is spot on. I might prefer a tiny bit more DOF but that's being quibbly for the sake of it! Love it as a starter for 10.

Captive - very imaginative shot and well spotted. Maybe a squeeze more shadow detail but lovely cloud pattern behind really makes the image for me - the contrast is super.

A great pair of shots and looking forward to more of yours!

Thank you for looking in and taking the time to comment, Paul. I did try some shots with wider DOF for Metal but settled on this one as it seemed to best suit the texture and pattern of that particular bar. It's a location I will revisit now I know just what sort of textures are there, though. I agree on the shadow detail in Captive; it was very dark in those corners and unfortunately I was working with a JPG rather than RAW so there isn't much more to be had this time :( Thankfully the brief glimpse of blue sky rescued me :)

Hi Andrea that was lucky catching that blue sky, it really adds to the captive feel of the bars ...lots of lovely colour and texture there too.

Thanks Susie, it really was a stroke of good luck, as the weather otherwise was pretty wild!

Hi Andrea.
I like what ou've done with this shot, it's a great find.
I may have been tempted to darken the 'inside' wall in PP so that it wasn't obvious you were outside in the light, but that's just a minor thing.

Thanks for looking in and commenting, Tim, and I agree with your idea about darkening the wall. I wish I'd thought of that!

That's a nice image Andrea - like it. Well done coping wit the extreme lighting as well - you've managed to keep the darker details around the window without blowing the sky. Excellent.

Thanks very much for dropping in and leaving feedback, Carl.

Hi Andrea

great images to start your 52 challenge love the detail in Metal and in Captive too for that matter

Thanks for looking in, Mark; much appreciated.

Hi Andrea, I really like the 'captive' image, the contrast of the blue sky against the dark metal and stone, it does indeed give the feeling of being captive!

Thank you, Liz. I think the patch of blue sky was essential so I'm glad the weather complied!

nice couple of takes, rust on #1 really adds to pic,
#2 works really well nice BG through the bars

Thanks for dropping by and commenting, Walter. Much appreciated and I'll be along to look at your thread asap :)

... gives the feeling of being 'captive' ... sure does.

(y)

Thanks, David :)

Andrea Hi, rust is good, some many ways and places to photograph it, really liking the DoF of the Metal and the glimmer of hope through the window

Thank you, Lee. Yes, I'll definitely be going back to both locations to see what else I can see :)

Fantastic colours on your first shot and well focused on the rusty bit. The fort shot really does give a feeling of being captive and I would never have guessed that you took it from outside :clap:

Thanks Elaine, much appreciated :) I'm looking forward to visiting your thread as soon as I'm up to date!

Hi :)

Metal - love the DOF giving focus to the rust - lovely and sharp and wonderful colours throughout - like it !

Captive - I like the POV and looking up through the barred window it really adds to the feeling of being captive - very nice Andrea :D

Thanks for dropping by and commenting, Jon. I'm looking forward to visiting your thread :)

Welcome back Andrea.

Metal and Captive....both excellent and theme fitting.

Glad you're feeling better!

Thank you very much, Ruth. I hate being behind like this, and after a further setback I'm aiming to post the rest this week!

Hi I am a little late to the party of comments, sorry to hear you were ill. Glad your better now, I am poorly at the moment, but I do like your start to your challenge.

Hi Mandy, thanks for looking in and commenting. The cold has gone, but I'm confined to quarters now with a poorly leg ;banghead: I think perhaps they should just shoot me! Hope you're feeling better soon and I'll be over to see your thread asap.

My first visit to your 52, hope you have recovered from illness. This weather really isn't good for getting out is it, I'm looking forward to getting out for some of my shots later in the year as I take way to many indoor ones and want to change that this year.

Metal - nicely seen, I like the contrast in the colours of the rust and green metal. The Point of focus is perfect just where the rust starts and the very shallow DOF is something I like.
Captive - well done for getting out in 65mph winds! Good shot, says captive well especially with that blue sky through the bars.

Thanks for dropping by, Steve. I wish this wet windy weather would do one. I don't mind the cold, but this damp winter is getting me down! It looks as though you're the other way around to me; I've never done much indoor photography and tend to avoid it, but it might become essential for a little while. Thank you for your comments, and I'll be along to visit your thread very soon.

Last edited:
I hate trailing behind like this, but now I've injured my leg and haven't been able to get out at all - which was frustrating given the two days of sunshine we had at the weekend! - so maybe I'll be forced into some indoor shots, after all. However, I've been able to sit and play with my image for Miniature. It's the first time I've tried to simulate tilt-shift to give that feel of a model or miniature set. This image was not ideal but I can't get another at the moment and don't want to fall further behind, so I'll leave this here and regard it as a candidate for a 'reshoot' when one comes along.

Week 3 - Miniature

03 Miniature

Week 4 - Happy

For the reasons explained above, I'm struggling to get about at the moment so this is a bit of a shoehorn, although it's absolutely true that getting into my recently purchased 'new to me' bright red Renaut Captur has made me happy every time for the last couple of months. I had my previous two cars for 6-7 years each, so you can imagine it's a nice treat :) I think the colour is cheerful and I've cropped it at a jaunty angle so hopefully it conveys a happy tone.

04 Happy by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

What do I know about Tilt n Shift but Miniature does have the look of a model fishing port to me and a nice scene it is too. As for Happy, I can relate to that feeling totally being in a 'new' car and as you say the cheery colour helps too. Hope you get better soon and manage to get out and about Andrea. :)

I think the fishing boats look really great Andrea - one of the most convincing ones I've seen on here. I wonder if the image needs a slight rotation to the right, or is that an effect of the tilt shift? I'm completely clueless about that technique, too! Your car looks great - I do like the angle on this. My red car makes me happy, too - unfortunately unlike yours it's a complete heap! Hope your leg heals quickly and you're soon on the move again.

Miniature ....very nicely executed Andrea.....Love it.

Hi Andrea ....that's a super Miniature shot, the boats work really well ....I'd never tried the effect before and I like it ...I want to try it again too.

Happy ....well your car does have a big smile on the front :) the jaunty angle does work really well and it looks beatifully clean and shiny.

Hope you're better soon.

Last edited:
Miniature: a good choice for tilt and shift. I did a tilt and shift in Photoshop at the weekend. Need to see if I can tweak a little more before posting. I think the subject works really well.
Happy: good sharp image, colours look good and a new to you car would certainly make you happy. Hope your leg is better soon. look forward to seeing more images.

Hi Andrea ... the tilt-shift job works amazingly well, and the car shot could be out of a brochure. (y)

Miniature - that is very well taken and executed, a technique that eludes me at the moment.

Happy - I agree that does look like a car brochure shot, and given recent constraints. I can certainly see why you would feel happy, every time you got in it.

What do I know about Tilt n Shift but Miniature does have the look of a model fishing port to me and a nice scene it is too. As for Happy, I can relate to that feeling totally being in a 'new' car and as you say the cheery colour helps too. Hope you get better soon and manage to get out and about Andrea. :)

Thank you, Carl. Miniature worked out fairly well considering that the original image is usually meant to be taken from a higher viewpoint. It's definitely something to revisit when I'm more mobile :)

I think the fishing boats look really great Andrea - one of the most convincing ones I've seen on here. I wonder if the image needs a slight rotation to the right, or is that an effect of the tilt shift? I'm completely clueless about that technique, too! Your car looks great - I do like the angle on this. My red car makes me happy, too - unfortunately unlike yours it's a complete heap! Hope your leg heals quickly and you're soon on the move again.

Thanks Emma :) I also thought Miniature was a bit wonky and checked with the original image. It's not, but I think it's a combination of the way the cliffs on the left drop down and curve around to the beach front on the right, and also the harbour wall on the left is slanted and not upright, so it does make you look twice! Thanks for looking in and commenting on both images, and I'll be around to see your thread soon (y)

Miniature ....very nicely executed Andrea.....Love it.

Thanks, Ruth :)

Hi Andrea ....that's a super Miniature shot, the boats work really well ....I'd never tried the effect before and I like it ...I want to try it again too.

Happy ....well your car does have a big smile on the front :) the jaunty angle does work really well and it looks beatifully clean and shiny.

Hope you're better soon.

Thank you Susie, it's definitely worth trying the tilt-shift effect on a suitable image - I will definitely be trying again. If only the car was really as clean as it looks; it's muddy and salty at the moment and desperately needs a wash, but doesn't really show from this distance!

Miniature: a good choice for tilt and shift. I did a tilt and shift in Photoshop at the weekend. Need to see if I can tweak a little more before posting. I think the subject works really well.
Happy: good sharp image, colours look good and a new to you car would certainly make you happy. Hope your leg is better soon. look forward to seeing more images.

Thanks again for dropping by and commenting, Mandy, and I'll look forward to seeing your tilt and shift image!

Hi Andrea ... the tilt-shift job works amazingly well, and the car shot could be out of a brochure. (y)

Thanks, David. On reflection I think the tilt-shift image works better than I thought at first, and I'm glad I shared it :)

Miniature - that is very well taken and executed, a technique that eludes me at the moment.

Happy - I agree that does look like a car brochure shot, and given recent constraints. I can certainly see why you would feel happy, every time you got in it.

You should definitely give it a go, Mandy. I think I got a bit lucky with the image this time and will try again with the location I originally had in mind, as soon as I can get there :) Thank you for your comments, and I'll be along to your thread asap.

Week 5 - Abandoned

Just a short walk from the pretty harbour in Port Erin (see Miniature, above), the former Marine Biological Station lies in a state of sorry neglect and decay while various bodies debate its future. Black and white processing brings out the contrast and evidence of decay and damage caused by its proximity to the sea and the elements.

05 Abandoned

Last edited:
That does look very neglected Andrea so good choice for Abandoned. Bet it offers a few photo opportunities too. Great in b&w and with a dramatic sky to add to the feel. :clap:

That does look very neglected Andrea so good choice for Abandoned. Bet it offers a few photo opportunities too. Great in b&w and with a dramatic sky to add to the feel. :clap:

Thanks, Carl. It is a shame that it's got into such a state over the last eight years while people debate what to do with it. Last year it looked as though it was going to be developed into a hotel and base for divers, with a restaurant overlooking the sea and some marine-related companies there too, but there were problems with planning and now it seems destined to rot away a bit more until someone tries again. Such a waste.

You're right, it is very photogenic and I've taken photos there a few times :)

Back