weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2016 - 52 Celebration added

Wonderful texture and colours in your 'horizontal' shot.
Vast - Beautiful sea colour and I like the inclusion of the rock.

Technology - right on theme I like the lighting
Horizontal - Great Picture I am glad you kept it colour because I like the lichen too
Vast - lovely vibrant blues and the crop suits the theme well

Hi Andrea, I'd agree with what Tim is saying. And the corner that's included has ended up distracting a bit for me, rather than being additive.

Sun reflection etc. can be a focal point in an ultra-simplistic seascape but it needs to be fairly full on IMHO. Still, a very relaxing shot and it'll definitely make a good backdrop for compositing!!

Hi Andrea

Those Horizontal layer certainly are fascinating. You've caught some real colour and texture.

Vast has a lovely Vastness about it, must be the lens used.

(y)

Hi Andrea,

Good shot for Vast, I'm a bit divided about the rock in the corner, it adds another element than just the sea and sky but I think it either needs a bit more or not to be there at all.

Horizontal - Great find! I do love the colours; the three colours work very well together and the cracks complement the colours well too.

Vast - Lots of lovely blues in there. The scene has a vast, serene feel and I like how the sky and sea are almost the same shade of blue. Am undecided about the rock on the right. On one hand, I think it adds story to the scene. On the other hand, I feel it mars the serenity. I guess there is no right or wrong - it would work either way depending on what mood you’re after. :)

Hi all, I haven't been around for the last three weeks because of an incident when out shooting my image for 'Rough'. I took our dog out with me for a walk to see the waves down at the southern tip of the island but she slipped off one of the footpaths, had to be rescued by the coastguard, and is currently recovering from surgery to fix her hip. It was a horrifying experience and I can't shake off the feelings of responsibility, so I haven't even looked at the photos from that day yet, let alone picked up the camera. I'm sure I will get going again and catch up, but that's why I haven't been around and am a bit distracted at the moment.

Oh no Andrea I hope you ok and that your little dog makes a speedy recovery give her some fuss form me.

Really sorry to hear that Andrea, hope your dog makes a full recovery and that you get your confidence back, I thought your 52 was going really well with some great photos.

Aw! How awful - must have been so worrying for you. Hope things get back to normal soon.

I'm really sorry to hear that Andrea, I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Such a shame Andrea, hope all goes well Chris

Oh no Andrea I hope you ok and that your little dog makes a speedy recovery give her some fuss form me.

Really sorry to hear that Andrea, hope your dog makes a full recovery and that you get your confidence back, I thought your 52 was going really well with some great photos.

Aw! How awful - must have been so worrying for you. Hope things get back to normal soon.

I'm really sorry to hear that Andrea, I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Thanks all. She had the stitches out today and now needs extensive rehab to get her back to being as mobile as possible, given that she's an arthritic 13-year-old. I still haven't touched the camera since, but will transfer the images this week and upload one for Rough, then try to get going again.

Last edited:
Week 17 - Rough

Hi all, as explained above, waaaay back in April our dog had a bad fall when I took her out with me to to get some images for this theme. Fortunately she was rescued and after surgery and lots of rehab she's 99% as good as before, but it was three months before I could bring myself to pick up the camera again and transfer the images.

I have no hope now of completing my 52 for this year but just to draw a line under it I am posting the fateful image for Rough. There were certainly some rough weeks to follow for our doggy and it almost put me off photography for good, but I have rejoined the local camera club and will be back for the 2017 '52' hoping to rediscover my photo mojo. I can see I have missed some interesting themes and great images so definitely looking forward to being involved again next year.

17 - Rough
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well done Andrea - nice to hear the good news about your dog and your tentative return to the camera. It is a lovely shot for Rough - captured the waves beautifully - excellent colour and depth to the image.

That is is a great photo for rough, it really captures the feeling of being there with super colours and motion in the water. Welcome back and I'm glad all is going well for your dog, good luck for next year.

Well done Andrea - nice to hear the good news about your dog and your tentative return to the camera. It is a lovely shot for Rough - captured the waves beautifully - excellent colour and depth to the image.

That is is a great photo for rough, it really captures the feeling of being there with super colours and motion in the water. Welcome back and I'm glad all is going well for your dog, good luck for next year.

Thank you both. The sea is often rough at that particular point, but on that day the sight and sound was especially awe inspiring.

Yay! Good to see you back Andrea and I'm so happy to hear good news about your dog. It's very brave of you to post 'that' image - wonderful colours and movement to it. It looks like an amazing place.

Thanks very much, Emma. It is a lovely, wild place and was particularly wild on this day. I think this photo will always remind me of what happened, but thankfully we still have our precious girl :)

fateful image for Rough is a beaut. (y)

See you back in '17 (y)

Thank you, David - you certainly will :)

That's a lovely looking sea Andrea, and a very fitting end to the episode for you, glad your dog is well on the mend and you get your mojo back (y)

Thanks, Dean, it's great to be back and I'm feeling so inspired I may jump in to do the last couple of themes :snaphappy:

Last edited:
That's good news about your dog Andrea, so pleased she's on the mend. You've certainly captured the turbulence in the sea on your photo.
Looking forward to following your thread next year .... or even this year if you fit a few in.

Thanks very much, Susie :)

Week 18 - Covered

18 - Covered
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

This was my first attempt at a catch up, when we took the dog out for her first proper outing. The island was shrouded in sea mist and - remembering that the theme following Rough was Covered - I took this shot of some of the mist rolling slowly through a valley in the south of the island, covering up the roads and buildings below. My lack of interest in photography meant it sat in the camera for some months but having just seen it again I thought it belonged in this thread. I will aim to join in for the last few themes of this year to get back into the swing of things for 2017!

It looks very contrasty but this was the effect of the mist, nothing to do with PP. I think the bright sun reflects around it and gives a strange light on days like this.

Last edited:
Spot on Andrea - I like that sea mist scene. Definitely Covered ... looks beautiful

Welcome back Andrea. Good to hear your dog is okay :)

The shot for rough really does portray a rough day, plenty of power in that water, well captured.

Covered - Works nicely for the theme. I do like the effect you've caught, presumably the bright sunlight bouncing off the water droplets in the mist.

Looking forward to seeing your last few for 2016.

That's nice, not sure all that foreground is required, but I like the fact that the mist is thicker to one side, looks very effective :)

Thanks, Dean, and you have a point about the foreground. I was stuck with this viewpoint as there was no way to get higher, but I could have cropped some of it out. Put it down to lack of practice :)

Spot on Andrea - I like that sea mist scene. Definitely Covered ... looks beautiful

Thanks, Carl. The mist was thicker down at sea level but it was just a solid murky wall. Much prettier up on the hills (y)

Yep that belongs in this thread. I think @Dark Knight may have a point re the FG. o_O

Thanks, David, I agree.

Welcome back Andrea. Good to hear your dog is okay :)

The shot for rough really does portray a rough day, plenty of power in that water, well captured.

Covered - Works nicely for the theme. I do like the effect you've caught, presumably the bright sunlight bouncing off the water droplets in the mist.

Looking forward to seeing your last few for 2016.

Thanks for your comments, Tim. Yes, that sounds a good theory about the water droplets and the unusual light (y)

Hi Andrea glad to read the good news about your little dog.

Good to see you posting image again

Hi Andrea glad to read the good news about your little dog.

Good to see you posting image again

Thanks, Mark, it's a huge relief to see her running around again :) I'm struggling to to find the time (and weather) to do the last couple of themes so it adds to my admiration of those of you who have soldiered through to the end.

Back