weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2016 - 52 Celebration added

Hi Andrea,

Personal ... nice to capture what is truly personal but for a 52s entry I think it needs rearranging somehow. :thinking:

Effort ... top action shot. (y)

Personal....As you said, it was a quick catch. We can't always set things up the way we'd like them.
It's a good image for the theme though :)

Edit...... Effort is a good action catch too!

Last edited:
Spiky - I like the reshoot very atmospheric especially with the back story
Artificial - I like the selective colour processing especially as you did the reflection too
Personal - Right on theme a very personal collection.
Effort - Great action shot lots of determination showing in those faces

Hi Andrea - good to see you getting some images in !!!

I'm loving the reflections in your living world photo, the little red thing keeps catching my eye though, like that you made sure you got the top of the mountain reflected in the water :)

Spiky - Love this one too, nice strong lighting which I feel helps the spikiness (y)

Action - great expressions caught, and well frozen action, looks like they are all having a bad hair day :D

Andréa Hi, liking your personal image, like the framing and the light is nice too.

Effort - A very good action shot well done, fits perfectly into the theme.

Quite like the Personal shot. Lots of personal items, the symmetry works well too.

Effort; nice action shot and well caught. Their faces said it all for effort.

Thanks for looking in and commenting, Stan :)

Love the spike RE shoot! Would make a great Hammer House of Horror poster! Great processing and pov

Thanks Richard; glad you liked it (y)

That's a super shot for effort Andrea ....you've captured it all there, the effort, the determination, the action ....very well done.

Thanks, Susie, they were certainly committed!

Hi Andrea,

Personal ... nice to capture what is truly personal but for a 52s entry I think it needs rearranging somehow. :thinking:

Effort ... top action shot. (y)

Thanks for looking in and commenting, David.

A lot of effort in the facial expressions, well caught.

Thanks, Clive (y)

Personal....As you said, it was a quick catch. We can't always set things up the way we'd like them.
It's a good image for the theme though :)

Edit...... Effort is a good action catch too!

Thank you, Ruth. Personal ended up being a PABD as I was very uninspired, but for Effort I got what I went for, which cheered me up :)

Spiky - I like the reshoot very atmospheric especially with the back story
Artificial - I like the selective colour processing especially as you did the reflection too
Personal - Right on theme a very personal collection.
Effort - Great action shot lots of determination showing in those faces

Thanks for the catch-up. Your time and comments are much appreciated :)

Hi Andrea - good to see you getting some images in !!!

I'm loving the reflections in your living world photo, the little red thing keeps catching my eye though, like that you made sure you got the top of the mountain reflected in the water :)

Spiky - Love this one too, nice strong lighting which I feel helps the spikiness (y)

Action - great expressions caught, and well frozen action, looks like they are all having a bad hair day :D

Thanks Dean :) The little red thing is a life belt and on reflection (ha!) I might have cloned it out. Thanks for your time looking through the images and commenting.

Andréa Hi, liking your personal image, like the framing and the light is nice too.

Effort - A very good action shot well done, fits perfectly into the theme.

Thank you, Lee.

Week 14 - Technology

I had this idea last week but it took a while to persuade/bribe our youngest to take the side off his PC and let me take some photos! He has a few coloured LEDs in there, which added some subtle colouring to the details, and I fiddled with the exposure until I got some detail in the blades of the big fan spinning very quickly over the CPU.

I realise now that the red wire is a distraction but there's no chance of a re-shoot for a while!

14 - Technology
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Definitely one for Technology with the added interest of that moving fan which you have caught very nicely Andrea. Bravo :clap:

Really like this Andrea works really well I like the use of the slow shunter speed to get some movement in the fan, the subtle blue lighting coupled with the yellow f the fan and red wire make it a very eye catching image.

At first I thought I was looking at a CD but this moving fan somehow holds my attention.

The red wire is a good idea.

:D

Definitely one for Technology with the added interest of that moving fan which you have caught very nicely Andrea. Bravo :clap:

Thank you, Carl :)

Really like this Andrea works really well I like the use of the slow shunter speed to get some movement in the fan, the subtle blue lighting coupled with the yellow f the fan and red wire make it a very eye catching image.

Thanks very much Mark, although the fan was spinning so quickly I had to crank the shutter speed up to get any detail in it!

At first I thought I was looking at a CD but this moving fan somehow holds my attention.

The red wire is a good idea.

:D

Thanks David, although I can't take any credit for the red wire and wish it wasn't there :D

Hi Andrea - good effort on technology... I think it just needs more light? You've chosen the shutter speed well, I'd just like a touch more punch from some additional lighting - doesn't have to be flash (as that would freeze the fan and defeat the purpose) just a torch or something perhaps...

I love the colours in technology, Andrea,
If you are concerned about the red wire, you could always "Burn" it to tone it down a bit, or even clone it out totally?

Clever idea works well :)

Hi Andrea, here's a catch up from me. I thought I'd commented on some of your photos before but I had a look through and it seems I haven't. Anyway, have chosen my favourites to comment on. :)

Metal - I really like the colours on that. Great choice for the theme!

Miniature - I love tilt shift photos and yours hits the spot for me. The boats look like toys and makes me want to look closer to see how detailed they are, lol.

Abandoned - The b&w processing looks like it fits very well, especially the way the clouds are formed around the building. I like the stark, foreboding look of the whole photo.

Camouflage - Wow, gorgeous black cat and lovely expression on it.

Living World - Beautiful scene with beautiful reflections!

Reshoot (Spiky) - Love this one! Reminds me a bit of your abandoned photo, as in same kind of mood, but this one is stronger and more dramatic because of the angle, the grave and the contrasty clouds.

Artificial - I know many people complain about selective colour but I like it, if done for a good reason. I think your photo works. Really like it!

Effort - Fantastic moment captured! Well done!

You have to wonder how many PCs were harmed in the making of the technology shots this week ;)
Good image. Nice bit of motion blur going on. I thought it was an opened hard disk at first, but it's obvious once you mentioned it was a fan.

Technology, great picture, love the colours.

Thanks, Clive (y)

Technology -really well captured - great shot:clap:

Thank you, Liz :)

Hi Andrea - good effort on technology... I think it just needs more light? You've chosen the shutter speed well, I'd just like a touch more punch from some additional lighting - doesn't have to be flash (as that would freeze the fan and defeat the purpose) just a torch or something perhaps...

Thanks, Paul. I wanted it to be dark overall but used a torch to add some detail in the dark area (left hand side as you look at it), but probably could have done with another to lift the other side too. As you know, indoor stuff is a learning curve for me and I'm down at the bottom, so it's a lesson learned :)

I love the colours in technology, Andrea,
If you are concerned about the red wire, you could always "Burn" it to tone it down a bit, or even clone it out totally?
Clever idea works well :)

Thank you, yes, I realised that once it was online and kicked myself (ouch!) but CBA opening it again to re-edit it and then re-upload :oops: :$ Annoyingly, I struggled with this theme a bit and I'll probably re-shoot when we get one.

Super shot for the theme Andrea ....love the colour of those blue leds ....they really contrast well with the spinning fan.....well done with capturing that.

Thank you, Susie, much appreciated :)

Hi Andrea, here's a catch up from me. I thought I'd commented on some of your photos before but I had a look through and it seems I haven't. Anyway, have chosen my favourites to comment on. :)

Metal - I really like the colours on that. Great choice for the theme!

Miniature - I love tilt shift photos and yours hits the spot for me. The boats look like toys and makes me want to look closer to see how detailed they are, lol.

Abandoned - The b&w processing looks like it fits very well, especially the way the clouds are formed around the building. I like the stark, foreboding look of the whole photo.

Camouflage - Wow, gorgeous black cat and lovely expression on it.

Living World - Beautiful scene with beautiful reflections!

Reshoot (Spiky) - Love this one! Reminds me a bit of your abandoned photo, as in same kind of mood, but this one is stronger and more dramatic because of the angle, the grave and the contrasty clouds.

Artificial - I know many people complain about selective colour but I like it, if done for a good reason. I think your photo works. Really like it!

Effort - Fantastic moment captured! Well done!

Hi Sheylara, thank you very much for going back through my thread and commenting on so many images. Your time and thoughts are very much appreciated (y)

You have to wonder how many PCs were harmed in the making of the technology shots this week ;)
Good image. Nice bit of motion blur going on. I thought it was an opened hard disk at first, but it's obvious once you mentioned it was a fan.

Thanks, Tim. I didn't realise how many PCs had been dismembered until looking through the image thread :) I didn't realise just how fast those fans spin so it was an unforeseen challenge to get the shutter speed high enough in those conditions.

That fan stands out a treat in a quite dark image, liking the blur too (y)

Thank you, Dean. It was nice to have such a bright fan in that dark space (y)

Week 15 - Horizontal

Near a former limestone quarry by the island's southern coast there are these fascinating layers of rock, which seemed an ideal choice for this theme. I liked the touches of colour added by the lichen so opted for colour rather than my initial idea of black and white for this one.

15 Horizontal by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I like that Andrea and good choice to stick with colour for the reason you mention. Great texture and depth in all those nooks and crannies. :clap:

Hi, great texture and colour, it's like its been built, as said above better in colour I feel
I often take pictures of rock my partner thinks I am weird,

Hi Andrea

Liking your idea for Technology, the fan against the blue is nicely done, just enough SS.

Horizontal is such a good photo, so much to look at and take in. Well balanced and sharp.

Very nice, love the shale bands contrasted against the limestone.

Thank you, Chris. That's what caught my eye too, although I didn't know what the darker bands were. There is volcanic rock along there somewhere too; I should do some research!

I like that Andrea and good choice to stick with colour for the reason you mention. Great texture and depth in all those nooks and crannies. :clap:

Thanks, Carl (y)

Hi, great texture and colour, it's like its been built, as said above better in colour I feel
I often take pictures of rock my partner thinks I am weird,

Thanks, Allan. I was knocking ideas for this theme around for a few days before I remembered this walk, and it seemed almost too simple really! It's an interesting place with all the different rocks.

Liking that Andrea some lovely textures and tone in there

Thanks, Mark :)

Hi Andrea, that's a nice spot and well taken. I like the light and textures and your choice to keep it in colour was the right one for me (y)

Thanks, Paul. It lost something in B&W.

Hi Andrea,

Well seen and I agree with your choice of leaving it in colour..

I wondered what the bands were when I first saw the photo.

Thanks, Steve, it definitely works best in colour.

Super textures and colours there Andrea ...excellent choice for the theme.

Thank you, Susie :)

Wonderful textures and lines in that Andrea - it would have been a pity to lose the colour of the lichen.

I agree, Emma, and thank you :)

Hi Andrea

Liking your idea for Technology, the fan against the blue is nicely done, just enough SS.

Horizontal is such a good photo, so much to look at and take in. Well balanced and sharp.

Thanks for looking in and commenting, Lee. There were loads of rocks to choose from, but these ones were so perfectly straight it was almost too easy :)

Damn that is a real nice rock formation for the theme Andrea, I really like all the cracks and crevices which add lots of depth and detail (y)

Thanks, Dean. I'm glad I remembered they were there, as they were perfect for this theme!

Week 16 - Vast

I only had one chance to get out with the camera this week, and although it was a lovely warm day it was hazy too, hence balancing this in favour of the sea rather than the fairly boring sky. I've gone for this crop to try to give a sense of the wide ocean, looking out across the Irish Sea towards Northern Ireland. Next time we get a Re-shoot card, this one is likely to get the treatment! :cautious:

16 Vast ocean
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Andrea. Wish I lived nearer the sea - looks beautiful and all that lovely fresh air. Quite right with the crop, it definitely accentuates the vastness of the water. Lovely blues and I quite like the sunlight catching that outcrop of rock on the right.

Back