weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2016 - 52 Celebration added

Miniature - is cool, perfectly done.

happy - no wonder you was and are Happy with a nice car like that. Nice 3D pop you have captured there.

Abandoned - .Very nice image, like the B&W treatment and such a shame as it looks like it was a nice building in its previous life

Perfect for the theme Andrea and spot on choosing the b&w, the sky fits it perfectly too. Shame when planning holds up a good development and it ends up being shelved, it's happened many times down here.

Thanks Susie, it is a shame and becoming an eyesore. Perfect for this theme though :)

Abandoned - a great find for the theme, good composition and I like the processing on this image.

Thanks, Mandy. It was crying out for black and white.

Miniature - is cool, perfectly done.

happy - no wonder you was and are Happy with a nice car like that. Nice 3D pop you have captured there.

Abandoned - .Very nice image, like the B&W treatment and such a shame as it looks like it was a nice building in its previous life

Thank you for your comments, Lee. Very kind :)

Week 06 - Camouflage

Take one black blanket and drape temptingly over a comfy sofa. Await one curious black cat. Result!

I've been wanting to try something like this for a while, as our two black cats are very handsome but a challenge to photograph. Fortunately this theme provided the impetus and my son's black fleece blanket was inviting enough for this one to make himself fairly comfortable, although you can see he's suspicious about what I'm doing :) I tried some off camera flash to add some side light but my initial idea was to have his eyes standing out from blackness and this was the one that gave the closest result.

06 Camouflaged by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Very behind with comments you miniature picture is great certainly looks like a model my favourite is your camouflage
Cat spot on for theme and fantastic result might try it with ours one day it's hard to get a good picture of him
Hope your leg is better soon.

Last edited:
Hi Andrea,
  • Miniature - The TS effect works well. Good work for your first go at it :)
It does indeed have a model feel.​
  • Happy - You could also have commented about the happy face on the car itself.
Nice crisp shot with plenty of detail and an interesting background.​
  • Abandoned - The building certainly fits the theme. Plenty of detail. The Threatening skies also add to the overall effect.
B&W processing, as always, nicely compliments the composition.​
  • Camouflaged - That is fantastic, the eyes are pin sharp, excellent blacks. :clap:

Spot on Andrea - well done with the black on black ... looks quite difficult but you have pulled the cat out of the bag ... as it were. Beautiful shot with those mesmerising yellow eyes standing out of the bg. :clap:

Camouflage

That's a beauty Andrea.

Camouflage is a corker. Those eyes are spot on and black on black is enough to blend in bit stand out sufficiently to see the subject. Love it

Miniature at first glance it does look miniature it works for me well done
Happy I would certainly be happy with a brand new car I like the angle you have taken nice background
Abandoned you have captured the gloom of the place nicely taken.
Camouflage spot on(y)

Hi Andrea, that's a good spot for Abandoned. Nice B&W processing which suits the shot. It's possible you could squeeze the white point a touch higher (haven't looked at the histogram so this is just a hunch) but still really like the processing.

Camouflage - that's lovely. Your choice of shallow DOF and no rim/edge lighting really work for this theme. Black on black would ordinarily benefit from a bit of separation but losing it here in both of those ways really works. Lovely light on the eyes, fur (forehead especially) and whiskers. Stunning.

Morning Andrea

Abandoned - Love this nice composition, some lovely detail in there and the B&W conversion helps make it look even more abandoned.

Camouflage - What a fantastic shot no crit form me

Great shot for camouflage, great lighting, nothing to criticise

Again, thank you so much for your comments and feedback. It is much appreciated and I'm getting around to everyone's threads as soon as I can :)

Very behind with comments you miniature picture is great certainly looks like a model my favourite is your camouflage
Cat spot on for theme and fantastic result might try it with ours one day it's hard to get a good picture of him
Hope your leg is better soon.

Thank you for taking the time, minx. Glad you like those two; I think they're my favourites so far. And yes, I'm mobile again now, thank you (y)

Camouflaged is brilliant, perfect. Nothing else to add.

Thanks, Lee!

Camouflage is perfect :clap::clap::clap:

The eyes are amazing and you've caught the catchlights superbly.

Thank you very much :) It's lovely when you get a result very close to what you had in mind!

Camouflage - is excellent, looking at that cat it reminds me of my ex's cat Busby. The eyes are indeed amazing, fantastic work.

Thanks Mandy, I find cats' eyes fascinating close up, and I'm glad he tolerated me. Just!

Great idea Andrea and it works really well ....he's definitely giving you 'the look' . I don't think it needs any light on the left, I like just the shape of the head, the eyes, and the whiskas shining out of the blackness.

Thanks, Susie. I'm not a great one for indoor photography so it was nice to get the result I was after, and glad you like it.

Hi Andrea,
  • Miniature - The TS effect works well. Good work for your first go at it :)
It does indeed have a model feel.​
  • Happy - You could also have commented about the happy face on the car itself.
Nice crisp shot with plenty of detail and an interesting background.​
  • Abandoned - The building certainly fits the theme. Plenty of detail. The Threatening skies also add to the overall effect.
B&W processing, as always, nicely compliments the composition.​
  • Camouflaged - That is fantastic, the eyes are pin sharp, excellent blacks. :clap:

Thanks for your comments Tim, much appreciated (y)

Excellent shot for camouflage, well lit, focus spot on. The right eye (left as you look) really pops and adds life to the shot (y)

Thank you, Chris. I think that eye was the most important feature.

Spot on Andrea - well done with the black on black ... looks quite difficult but you have pulled the cat out of the bag ... as it were. Beautiful shot with those mesmerising yellow eyes standing out of the bg. :clap:

Thank you, Carl. I'm glad he cooperated :)

Some great catch-up shots Andrea, my fav is the miniature shot, not so sure with the horizon, but tilt shift at it's best for me, great subject matter and good positioning too, welcome back :)

Thanks Dean, it worked surprisingly well as I thought I would need a higher viewpoint. The horizon is straight, honest, but it's a horseshoe-shaped bay with those cliffs in the BG descending from the LHS to the beach on the right, so it does look wonky at first glance.

Camouflage

That's a beauty Andrea.

Thanks Ruth, glad you like it.

Camouflage is a corker. Those eyes are spot on and black on black is enough to blend in bit stand out sufficiently to see the subject. Love it

Thank you Ian, that's the effect I was aiming for but wasn't sure if it would work :)

Miniature at first glance it does look miniature it works for me well done
Happy I would certainly be happy with a brand new car I like the angle you have taken nice background
Abandoned you have captured the gloom of the place nicely taken.
Camouflage spot on(y)

Thank you for looking in and commenting, Michael. The car's not brand new but 'new to me' :)

Hi Andrea, that's a good spot for Abandoned. Nice B&W processing which suits the shot. It's possible you could squeeze the white point a touch higher (haven't looked at the histogram so this is just a hunch) but still really like the processing.

Camouflage - that's lovely. Your choice of shallow DOF and no rim/edge lighting really work for this theme. Black on black would ordinarily benefit from a bit of separation but losing it here in both of those ways really works. Lovely light on the eyes, fur (forehead especially) and whiskers. Stunning.

Thank you, Paul. Not sure about the white point but I will check. I may have altered things a bit by going for the 'dark' look in PP. Glad you like the lighting on the cat. I'm absolutely a beginner at such things but thought this would give the effect I wanted, so I value your feedback.

Morning Andrea

Abandoned - Love this nice composition, some lovely detail in there and the B&W conversion helps make it look even more abandoned.

Camouflage - What a fantastic shot no crit form me

Thanks Mark, glad you liked them :)

Great shot for camouflage, great lighting, nothing to criticise

Thank you for looking in and commenting, Bernd. Much appreciated (y)

I'll look forward to seeing you all in your own threads soon.

I've never done this before, but I really can't decide which of these is best for the Danger(ous) theme. Now I'm mobile again I got out and about this week and the first one is the sort of image I had in mind when I set out, with the bold red sign and the track in the background. I've checked and re-checked the verticals and horizontals, and the other images I took at the same time, and concluded that the sign is slightly wonky!

07 Danger by the Railway
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

But then I happened upon this cliff top sign the same day, and although the light was wrong on my initial visit I went back in better light yesterday. I think the sign is quite new as I don't remember seeing it there last summer, and it still looks quite bright and freshly painted. I can't decide which I prefer; the one with the sign as part of the landscape and showing the steep drop of the cliff path, or the one with the sign and the sloping wall as the main feature in the image:

07 Danger

07 Danger Sign

I think on reflection I prefer #2 as it shows the whole setting with the sign in context, but on the other hand #3 shows some of the footpath and rocks on the beach below. What do you think?

Last edited:
Hi Andrea

3 Great images for Danger out of the 3 I think I prefer the first one as it stands out the best love the DOF you've used for it, but I also like the 3rd one as I love landscapes

Liking that railway shot. (y) ... black painted rust, bright red sign, OOF tracks and nice POV.

I'm (obviously) going to go with the red danger sign, my spin will be because of the leading lines and the vibrant colours...
Of the other two, the closer crop is my preference, because close up the wall provides a lead into the sign.

Hi Andrea all the signs work well, I prefer the second, as like you said it more of a complete image, showing the extent of the danger

Danger(ous) I love the railway sign strong bold colours and the oof train line behind. Bang on the brief and well executed.

Danger No2 I like how you have brought forward the background and you can see the building on top of the hill great shot.(y)

Hi Andrea, I really like your first image for danger! The OOF track really anchors the image for me, adds depth and sustains interest beyond the (very in-theme) sign. Texture, lighting and colours on the metal is all great - really like the combination of this.
Second danger shot is interesting and "pretty" but lacks a bit of that sustained interest the first has in spades (for me). Had you managed to get there in different light, it could well be a very different story though - I bet that would be great in the golden hours!
Third one is perhaps a stronger composition but the sky is blown quite badly - shame as it's an interesting scene.

Some good shots again - looking forward to your next ones!

Sorry for the tardiness on commenting, but here goes !

Miniature - I'm a sucker for TS and think it works really well with this image - great first effort :D

Happy - whatever makes you happy and definitely looks a happy little motor Andrea - well taken and love the angle, looks like its straight out of a motoring magazine !

Abandoned - Thanks for the back story - looks a nice building (or was) and the B&W and PP suit it perfectly, especially those moody clouds ......

Camo - Beautiful cat - we used to have two who looked very similar so a real soft spot for me this one - think it works really well and added bonus with the expression :D

Danger(ous) - Nice selection and all work really well, however I think i prefer the first one with the composition, DOF and lines of the track off into the distance - like it :)

Really liking all the images for dangerous, although i think the first is my fav, nice strong colours against the background and nice DoF :clap:

Camouflage - Great photography and a beautiful cat.
Danger - The first one for me, I like the impact of the red sign.

Danger(ous) - good choices for the theme, for me I like the closer crop on the last image. Good composition, and the message is very clear on the notice board.

Hi Andrea all the signs work well, I like the perspective in the first one with the railway lines, and the bright red against the black post is very eye catching. Unless I enlarge the photo the second sign is slightly lost, so I think I'd go for the last one for the cliff path.

Hi Andrea

3 Great images for Danger out of the 3 I think I prefer the first one as it stands out the best love the DOF you've used for it, but I also like the 3rd one as I love landscapes

Liking that railway shot. (y) ... black painted rust, bright red sign, OOF tracks and nice POV.

I'm (obviously) going to go with the red danger sign, my spin will be because of the leading lines and the vibrant colours...
Of the other two, the closer crop is my preference, because close up the wall provides a lead into the sign.

Hi Andrea all the signs work well, I prefer the second, as like you said it more of a complete image, showing the extent of the danger

Danger(ous) I love the railway sign strong bold colours and the oof train line behind. Bang on the brief and well executed.

Danger No2 I like how you have brought forward the background and you can see the building on top of the hill great shot.(y)

Oooo nice selection for Danger Andrea... for me the first is a clear winner, cant beat a bold red warning sign, DoF on the curved track behind it is very nice, an altogether great composition (y)

Really liking all the images for dangerous, although i think the first is my fav, nice strong colours against the background and nice DoF :clap:

Camouflage - Great photography and a beautiful cat.
Danger - The first one for me, I like the impact of the red sign.

Thank you all for your comments and feedback. It's really interesting that there are so many different choices from the three. Just goes to show how subjective this all is, and I think I've changed my favourite since last week! :)

Hi Andrea, I really like your first image for danger! The OOF track really anchors the image for me, adds depth and sustains interest beyond the (very in-theme) sign. Texture, lighting and colours on the metal is all great - really like the combination of this.
Second danger shot is interesting and "pretty" but lacks a bit of that sustained interest the first has in spades (for me). Had you managed to get there in different light, it could well be a very different story though - I bet that would be great in the golden hours!
Third one is perhaps a stronger composition but the sky is blown quite badly - shame as it's an interesting scene.

Some good shots again - looking forward to your next ones!

Thank you for your comments on each one, Paul. I think that first image has become my first choice for the theme now. I thought it might be too 'simple' or straightforward an image, but actually it was the first idea I had so possibly the strongest.

I think I blew the sky in PP as I was trying to lift some of the shadows. Definitely a scene to revisit in nicer light, as you say.

Sorry for the tardiness on commenting, but here goes !

Miniature - I'm a sucker for TS and think it works really well with this image - great first effort :D

Happy - whatever makes you happy and definitely looks a happy little motor Andrea - well taken and love the angle, looks like its straight out of a motoring magazine !

Abandoned - Thanks for the back story - looks a nice building (or was) and the B&W and PP suit it perfectly, especially those moody clouds ......

Camo - Beautiful cat - we used to have two who looked very similar so a real soft spot for me this one - think it works really well and added bonus with the expression :D

Danger(ous) - Nice selection and all work really well, however I think i prefer the first one with the composition, DOF and lines of the track off into the distance - like it :)

Thank you for going back through my thread, Jon. Really appreciate your comments and feedback :)

Danger....Railway shot for me too. The bright red really pops!

Danger - the 1st one certainly fits the theme best, with the 3rd one as next best but I like the second one best for the landscape details.

Danger....Railway shot for me too. The bright red really pops!

Thanks for commenting Ruth, and on reflection I think I agree. I was attracted to the cliff top path by the new sign but my original instinct seems to have produced the most popular image of the three.

Danger - the 1st one certainly fits the theme best, with the 3rd one as next best but I like the second one best for the landscape details.

Thanks for your thoughts :) I think I confused myself with so many options for this theme but the red sign does seem to be the best fit and strongest image.

Back