weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2016 - 52 Celebration added

Your reshoot of Spiky Adrea is excellent I love the processing and low POV. The sky realy adds to the atmosphere of the image

Ooh, I do like that Andrea! The processing works really well given the backstory - brooding sky etc.

The only tiny comment, which is only to do with the theme than the image as a standalone... is for "spiky" it feels slightly too tightly cropped at the top, since the spike we're looking at is nearly at the edge of the frame. If it were just a photo though I think it'd be absolutely spot on - composition is bang on otherwise (y)

Thanks, Paul :) I always had B&W in mind for this one, given the subject matter, so the clouds and contrast were perfect for this. I would have liked to get a teeny bit more sky in but I was doing contortions trying not to stand on graves and this is the full frame of the best shot, so there was no more to be had. I understand and agree with your theme vs photo comments; I could have tried cloning some more in at the top to give the nearest spike a bit more room to breath, but I hope with the heavy slab, chains and other spike it's just about balanced. Thanks again for your thoughtful feedback (y)

That's a superb shot Andrea ....you've captured the whole atmosphere perfectly, love the processing :clap:

Thank you, Susie. I got a bit lucky with a good sky that day, and it converted well :)

Very dramatic image Andrea which is helped by the low POV which accentuates the height of the spikes and chains ... their prominence is helped by using that powerful sky as bg. Scary tale ... did you linger long? :eek:

Thanks, Carl :) The low POV was a challenge given the lack of space in this very old graveyard, but this one just about worked! It is a odd tale, and I've heard more details since, such that he may have been buried face down to prevent him rising again :eek: but in honesty it was a lovely sunny afternoon when I visited last weekend. I wouldn't rush back at night though!

I like your spiky and the re shoot, I must try b&w both of those have great lighting. The re shoot is very moody. You have inspired me.

Thank you, Clive. The teasel was experimental for me and I'm a beginner, so I'd definitely recommend having a play with lighting; even something as simple as a torch, like I did. Thank you for your kind comments :)

Spiky ... Woooo I do like that, a very powerful/atmospheric image. (y)

Thanks very much, David :)

The processing and image really sell the back story, very nice.
I'm happy with the front pointy being high in the frame, it accentuates that you took the shot from down low.

Thank you, Tim (y) I wanted B&W and a low POV for those reasons, and although it was tricky to get the camera into the right place I think I just about got it.

Your reshoot of Spiky Adrea is excellent I love the processing and low POV. The sky realy adds to the atmosphere of the image

Thanks, Mark. Thank goodness for the perfect sky that day :)

Ooo I love stories like this!
Nicely captured Andrea and the dark skies set it off well :)

Week 11 - Artificial

From the same churchyard :) Not just artificial flowers, but I spotted the reflection and thought I would try the artificial effect of selective colour. I don't normally like the effect and I've never tried it until now, but something I love about the 52 is the way it pushes me to try new things or ones I usually avoid. This isn't perfect but I hope it works!

11 - Artificial
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nicely spotted Andrea - the flowers on their own would have been enough for the theme but getting that reflection adds that extra little touch - works well. :clap:

Hi, sorry seem to have missed your thread, so will start with "spiky" great subject for the theme (i did one too) nicely lit and great detail
"reshoot Spiky" I like the angle even though as you say you didn't really want it but for me it works, nice moody sky very fitting, interesting back story
"Artificial" not too keen on selective colour, I see why you have done it and I like that you have coloured the reflection also it does make it stand out
going back a bit more love the cat for "camouflage" hard subject to catch you have done it well

Lovely contrasty shot Andrea.
Love the low perspective.

Also, Atrificial.
I know colour selction is a very "Marmite" thing, but it works well for me here. Very nice.

Last edited:
Artificial flowers in a graveyard. :banana:

Real nice compo., placement of the flowers and their reflection. (y)

Hi Andrea I'm not a fan of SC but this does pretty much work for me - and a good idea for the theme.

Personally (because of my general unwarranted dislike of SC), I'd perhaps have just gone for a heavy desaturation and selectively left the flowers at fuller saturation - a sort of partial SC but still retaining some colour detail throughout.

As far as the image is concerned, it's well put together and the reflection is a good touch. The only tiny thing which bugs me slightly is cropping the top off the cross but still a very good capture :)

(For some reason I keep typing Andrew instead of Andrea - sorry!!)

I think it works really well Andrea, the reflection really adds to the shot. I've just looked back over my previous 52's and I've certainly tried out some different things. Oddly I've not tried selective colour ...this might spur me on :)

Thanks, Susie. I've never tried it before because I don't usually like the effect, but tried it here because I thought it would suit the two bright spots of colour and also it was another layer of 'artificial'. You should definitely try it if you have an image that might suit it, even if you never use it again :)

Nicely spotted Andrea - the flowers on their own would have been enough for the theme but getting that reflection adds that extra little touch - works well. :clap:

Thanks Carl. It was the reflection that made me try this. I don't think it would have been as effective with just the one splash of colour.

Argh. Going to have to agree with Carl *again!*
The shot is really good, but the reflection adds extra interest to the picture.

I think that the selective colouring actually works nicely in this context.

Thank you, Tim. I don't know if I'll ever use it again but it does seem to 'work' for this one :)

Love the reflection Andrea great take on the theme

Thanks, Mark :)

Hi, sorry seem to have missed your thread, so will start with "spiky" great subject for the theme (i did one too) nicely lit and great detail
"reshoot Spiky" I like the angle even though as you say you didn't really want it but for me it works, nice moody sky very fitting, interesting back story
"Artificial" not too keen on selective colour, I see why you have done it and I like that you have coloured the reflection also it does make it stand out
going back a bit more love the cat for "camouflage" hard subject to catch you have done it well

Thank you for visiting, Allan. I haven't got around all the threads myself after starting a bit late, so I appreciate your taking the time. I agree about selective colour and this is the first time I've tried it, but the two splashes of colour seem to suit it and it adds another layer of 'artificial' to this image :) Glad you like Camouflage; I think that's one of my favourites so far. Thanks again, and I'll be sure to visit your thread, too (y)

Lovely contrasty shot Andrea.
Love the low perspective.

Also, Atrificial.
I know colour selction is a very "Marmite" thing, but it works well for me here. Very nice.

Thanks, Ruth. Glad you like them :)

Love the drama of your spiky reshoot Andrea - those clouds are fantastic. I also think the selective colouring was a great choice for artificial - it's such an artificial effect in itself that it works perfectly in this context.

Thanks, Emma. I was lucky to have such a contrasty sky that day, and glad you think the selective colouring works; it is a very Marmite thing.
Artificial flowers in a graveyard. :banana:

Real nice compo., placement of the flowers and their reflection. (y)

Thanks, David, I had to lie flat on the path to get that angle :)

Andrea, good idea for the artificial theme. Like the reflection.

Thanks, Lee, I think the reflection makes the image and the effect work.

Hi Andrea I'm not a fan of SC but this does pretty much work for me - and a good idea for the theme.

Personally (because of my general unwarranted dislike of SC), I'd perhaps have just gone for a heavy desaturation and selectively left the flowers at fuller saturation - a sort of partial SC but still retaining some colour detail throughout.

As far as the image is concerned, it's well put together and the reflection is a good touch. The only tiny thing which bugs me slightly is cropping the top off the cross but still a very good capture :)

(For some reason I keep typing Andrew instead of Andrea - sorry!!)

Thanks, Paul, I didn't think of that (heavy desaturation) and it probably would have worked well. I decided to try selective colour as soon as I saw the two bright patches of red among the dark stones, partly because I've never tried it before and also because it's a very artificial effect that I don't like much. It's funny, looking back through the comments, that most of us don't care for the effect at all :) I agree about the top of the cross and it bugs me too. Thanks again.

Week 12- Personal

12 - Personal by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I was a bit stuck with this one until I spotted this collection of photos and mementos at my Mum's house, including photos of the grandsons from toddlers to young adults and a canvas with favourite memories of her and my late Dad. It's a bit of a snapshot and the light was a bit tricky (big window one side and dark hallway the other) but there are a lot of personal items and memories in a small space.

Last edited:
Hi
Good interesting picture for Personal. might have been tempted to crop out curtain on left as it draws my eye from all the lovely things on the cupboard and wall.

You did well with the lighting Andrea - the square crop works well. Spot on for the theme.

Hi
Good interesting picture for Personal. might have been tempted to crop out curtain on left as it draws my eye from all the lovely things on the cupboard and wall.

Hi Anita, thanks for looking in. I did try cropping out the curtain but it meant losing those travel souvenirs on the bottom left corner, which I was reluctant to do as it spoiled the balance with the right hand side. Not the ideal location really, but I was keen to get something for the theme and move on!

Hi Andrea.
I'm going to agree with Anita regarding the curtain, but then again there was probably nothing you could have done about it and the square crop does work for the image.

Thanks Tim, no I couldn't move anything and a tighter crop didn't work so this was what I ended up with. Probably a candidate for a re-shoot at some point :)

You did well with the lighting Andrea - the square crop works well. Spot on for the theme.

Thanks, Carl.

I think I got my image for Effort this evening, so hopefully by this time tomorrow I'll be... up to date!!

Week 13 -Effort

13 - Effort by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

And.... I'm up to date!! :banana::banana::banana: For the first time this year I can look forward to the new theme without being behind :D My nephew was playing in a football match last night so I went along looking for effort and think these two are showing it. Mind you, with the light fading fast and the wind getting up I felt I earned my half-time cuppa, too :)

Really like the Artificial picture. The SC works really well in this case and the reflection just lifts the whole image.

Personal - all those Personal mementoes. It's a shame you couldn't move the things on the left of the table closer to the centre than you could have cropped off a chunk of the LHS but you have to take what you can get and this certainly fits the theme (y)

Just cross posted....

Effort - my goodness, the look of effort on their faces, they do take it seriously don't they :p

Last edited:
Really like the Artificial picture. The SC works really well in this case and the reflection just lifts the whole image.

Personal - all those Personal mementoes. It's a shame you couldn't move the things on the left of the table closer to the centre than you could have cropped off a chunk of the LHS but you have to take what you can get and this certainly fits the theme (y)

Just cross posted....

Effort - my goodness, the look of effort on their faces, they do take it seriously don't they :p

That was great timing, Jill! Thanks for your comments and I agree about the things on the table. It was an impulse idea initially concentrating on the photos and I should have planned the wider shot better. I struggled with the theme and it's a prime candidate for the next re-shoot :)

Topical - not a bad image for a PABD, I like the way you have placed everything so it works for me with your intro to the image.

Living world - I really like this nice colours, and you have captured the reflections in the water nicely :clap:.

Spiky - A simple but effective image, works well

Spiky - re-shoot I think this take on the theme is perfect.

Artificial - Another really good image from you, I actually like the SC and the reflection seen in the grave stone.

Personal - A good take on the theme, nice selection of mementos there, I do find the curtain creeping into the image a bit of a distraction.

Effort - A very good action shot well done, fits perfectly into the theme.

Personal - Lovely image very personal

Effort - Great action shot you can defiantly see the effort they're putting in

That is a fantastic action shot Andrea - the expressions and the movement of the foot on ball. Focus and colour are both spot on. :clap:

Topical - not a bad image for a PABD, I like the way you have placed everything so it works for me with your intro to the image.

Living world - I really like this nice colours, and you have captured the reflections in the water nicely :clap:.

Spiky - A simple but effective image, works well

Spiky - re-shoot I think this take on the theme is perfect.

Artificial - Another really good image from you, I actually like the SC and the reflection seen in the grave stone.

Personal - A good take on the theme, nice selection of mementos there, I do find the curtain creeping into the image a bit of a distraction.

Effort - A very good action shot well done, fits perfectly into the theme.

Thanks for looking back through my images, Mandy. Your time and thoughts are appreciated.

Nicely on theme. I've not shot sports so it's interesting to see how much was in focus at f/3.2
I love the expressions on their faces :)

Thanks, Tim. The expressions were what I was looking for and thankfully these two were fairly committed. They were fairly close to me here, hence only shooting at 75mm, and I think if they were further away and I was at 200mm the DOF would have been narrower. The light was fading fast and I gave up when I was at f/2.8 and 1/200th and ISO 12500 :)

Personal - Lovely image very personal

Effort - Great action shot you can defiantly see the effort they're putting in

Thanks, Mark. There were fisticuffs later in the match but I was too far away to get a clean shot of that :)

Hi Andrea - that's a cracker for Effort! I love some sports (rugby mainly) but I've never shot anything on the field... your photo has inspired me :)

Really like the expressions and framing you've captured. Superb "in the moment" shot - bravo :clap:

Thanks, Paul. You should take your camera next time and try it. This was my first time doing football for over two years and I was a bit rusty at first, but I enjoyed it so much I'm probably going again at the weekend, and the local amateur players are often chuffed when someone takes and shares photos of them playing their sports.

That is a fantastic action shot Andrea - the expressions and the movement of the foot on ball. Focus and colour are both spot on. :clap:

Thanks Carl, much appreciated :)

Last edited:
That' a brilliant action shot Andrea - sharp, well timed and very well framed - all three expressions are fantastic:clap:

Thanks for looking in, Emma. I thought this would be a good opportunity for this theme and they didn't let me down. I'm just disappointed I was too far away from the ones who started fighting later in the match! :)

That Effort shot isn't very flattering for either of the players is it?! :)
Definitely shows effort though. I am generally rubbish at action shots and rarely get something in focus how I would prefer, so we'll done :clap:

Very good action shot for Effort, I've tried shooting my son playing football and I always find nailing the timing and focus quite a challenge.

That Effort shot isn't very flattering for either of the players is it?! :)
Definitely shows effort though. I am generally rubbish at action shots and rarely get something in focus how I would prefer, so we'll done :clap:

Thanks, Chris. It seems to be the case with any sportspeople that when they're concentrating or making an effort that it shows in their faces! The only advice I can offer on action shots - apart from the obvious technical choices about shutter speed and AF mode etc - is to keep practicing, because half the battle is anticipating what's going to happen next. I was very rusty at this match as I haven't done any for a while, and it took a while to get back into it.

Very good action shot for Effort, I've tried shooting my son playing football and I always find nailing the timing and focus quite a challenge.

Thanks, Chris :) I spent about ten years taking photos of our lads playing football so it's definitely a case of keep taking the camera and keep taking photos and the timing and anticipation will start to come more naturally.

Plenty of effort going on there. Great exspressions captured.

Gaz

Thanks, Gaz. They were certainly committed and taking it seriously, and two players were sent off later in the game over being over-committed :)

Back