weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2017 - Week 51 & 52 Festive & Weather added (and COMPLETE!)

Excellent photo with a hint of reflection to ground the dolls. Only 11 more to go :)

Good to see you back Andrea :wave:

And that's a lovely image to come back with. I love the expressions and you've controlled the light very well (y)

Excellent photo with a hint of reflection to ground the dolls. Only 11 more to go :)

Thanks, Bernd. Yes, I've some way to go yet :)

Good to see you back Andrea :wave:

And that's a lovely image to come back with. I love the expressions and you've controlled the light very well (y)

Thank you, Jill :wave: Glad you liked the expressions; that's one of my favourite things about them.

Week 2 - Comfort

If I had to be a dog or cat, I think I would like to live in our house :) Compared to the last one, this is really just a snapshot but as soon as I saw them I knew it was right for 'Comfort'. I like the way they are sleeping so close together and surrounded by cushions and a blanket on the sofa. I would have liked to try a slightly lower viewpoint but, even though she looks asleep, our dog is usually just in 'standby mode' and when I tried moving she opened her eyes to see what I was doing and took ages to settle down.

02 Comfort by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Welcome back Andrea (y)

Order ... nice idea, nice props ... looking closely I see a reflection but cut off. I think a side-on pov with no reflection would work better for me.

Comfort ... yes sometimes you spot something and snap it up! .... perfect for the theme. :)

Comfort - looks much like our sofa at home most evenings! Definitely captured the spirit of the theme and nice to see that even big dogs like their blanket.

Good luck with the catch up, I know from last year just how hard that can be.

Order - I know your pain with reflections on russian dolls they are a real pain! You have done well and the colours stand out lovely against the black background.

Comfort - maybe more of a grab shot but it works well, they certainly look like they have settled down. I like the join of the cushions splitting the shot with the cat and dog on either side.

Welcome back Andrea (y)

Order ... nice idea, nice props ... looking closely I see a reflection but cut off. I think a side-on pov with no reflection would work better for me.

Comfort ... yes sometimes you spot something and snap it up! .... perfect for the theme. :)

Thanks, David. I know there's a better image to be made and I tried them in different formations but had problems with the background. I need some props, I think, but after several tries I went with this as the best of a 'meh' lot :) Thanks again for looking in.

Comfort - looks much like our sofa at home most evenings! Definitely captured the spirit of the theme and nice to see that even big dogs like their blanket.

Thanks, Chris, I think there can't be much wrong with a home where animals can sleep in peace on a sofa :D She did her best to shrug off the blanket but she was still a bit damp from her hydrotherapy swim so I had wrapped her up. Tough life, eh?

Welcome back Andrea and good luck with this years 52's, I love your Russian dolls they have such cute faces, really nicely done against the black, comfort says it all .... spot on theme.

Thanks, Susie :) It's good to be back despite the initial challenge to catch up again! I'm looking forward to doing the rounds of everyone's threads soon.

They look very comfortable indeed. Nice one Andrea (y)

Thanks, Jill. It was a gift for that theme :)

Good luck with the catch up, I know from last year just how hard that can be.

Order - I know your pain with reflections on russian dolls they are a real pain! You have done well and the colours stand out lovely against the black background.

Comfort - maybe more of a grab shot but it works well, they certainly look like they have settled down. I like the join of the cushions splitting the shot with the cat and dog on either side.

Thank you, Steve. As DK will attest, I've had a few catch-ups over the years but never quite made it to the end. I wasn't expecting another one this year but I WILL make it to the end :banghead: I'll also have another go with those dolls at some stage but they were a pain and on reflection (ha!) I should have chosen something else rather than get bogged down. Thanks, again.

Last edited:
Week 3 - Hairy

One freshly taken today. I had hoped to get the paw of one of our cats but neither were in the mood to cooperate so our snoozing doggy became my target. I was able to get this before she raised her head to wonder what on earth I was doing crawling around on the floor by her bed with a camera. I've converted to B&W to bring out the textures and contrast between the dark pad and claws and the white fur.

03 Hairy by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Week 4 - Smooth

This is the second of the two images I took on my compact when trying to keep an eye on the weekly themes in January. No more 'in the can' so the true catch-up starts now with the search for fresh images, and is it just me or are the themes especially challenging so far this year? Not looking forward to some of those :eek:

This is a local reservoir sheltered on three sides by hills so often has great reflections on the water, and the light and colours were lovely on this day. It has featured in two of my previous 52 attempts so some of you may recognise it!

04 Smooth
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Last edited:
is it just me or are the themes especially challenging so far this year?
It's not just you, I've found them hard.
You had me wondering with hairy, looks almost like an insect macro but it's bang on theme and suits the mono conversion.
Great reflection in smooth, another good one for the theme

Took me a while - dog paw! Nicely done and b&w suits it. Smooth is great to. Our local reservoir seems to have it's own continuous weather system, I swear the sea is calmer!

Hi Andrea,
Comfort - Bang on theme and both the sofa and pets are nicely symmetrical. Good of them to arrange themselves just so :)
Hairy - Is that your dog's nose? Oh, I see it's a paw. Great detail. B&W works really well. Nice one (y)
Smooth - Very smooth, lovely reflections and colours. Interesting to get more of the sky in the reflection than in the sky itself, which I think works really well.

Yes, you're spot on regarding some of the themes. I think our scaly leader is maybe being deliberately mean ;)

Hairy is a great abstract shot where you ask yourself what you're looking at. B&W works well.
Smooth is a lovely landscape photo, amazing colours and reflection.

Love the expression on the dolls faces, perfect idea for the theme:)

Thanks, Shirley, I love their expressions too!

Great catch up Andrea, my favourite out of the lot is Smooth as a great shot showing all the lovely colours and a great reflection (y)(y)

Thanks, David, it is one of my favourite places and it looked beautiful on that afternoon.

It's not just you, I've found them hard.
You had me wondering with hairy, looks almost like an insect macro but it's bang on theme and suits the mono conversion.
Great reflection in smooth, another good one for the theme

Thanks, Chris. I didn't realise how abstract the close-up would look until it was on my screen :)

Took me a while - dog paw! Nicely done and b&w suits it. Smooth is great to. Our local reservoir seems to have it's own continuous weather system, I swear the sea is calmer!

Thanks, Chris. This one can be a bit of a wind tunnel at times, but this particular afternoon it was at its best!

love "hairy" superb :clap:

Thank you, Allan :)

Hi Andrea,
Comfort - Bang on theme and both the sofa and pets are nicely symmetrical. Good of them to arrange themselves just so :)
Hairy - Is that your dog's nose? Oh, I see it's a paw. Great detail. B&W works really well. Nice one (y)
Smooth - Very smooth, lovely reflections and colours. Interesting to get more of the sky in the reflection than in the sky itself, which I think works really well.

Yes, you're spot on regarding some of the themes. I think our scaly leader is maybe being deliberately mean ;)

Thank you, Tim. On the last one I only had my little camera with me and took a few with different amounts of sky and water, and although the sky was a bit blown I thought the reflections in the water made this one work the best of the set - thanks for agreeing :) As for the themes, I still have no idea what to do for a couple of them :confused:

Hairy is a great abstract shot where you ask yourself what you're looking at. B&W works well.
Smooth is a lovely landscape photo, amazing colours and reflection.

Thanks very much, Bernd.

Week 5 - Mineral

I was a bit stumped last night wondering what to do for this one, then I remembered this piece of Iron Pyrite aka Fool's Gold, which we've had on a shelf in the house for several years. I was delighted to discover that it is indeed a mineral so here's my image for week 5. After nicking my son's lovely dark fleece blanket to cut out the ceiling reflections that I struggled with so badly for the Russian dolls I'm quite pleased to have a clean and clear reflection for this one. Progress! :banana:

05 Mineral

Last edited:
I've only just found your thread (I don't know why i hadn't seen it before, sorry). After reading your first post, i hope you don't fall by the way side. The 52 (my first attempt) is really helping me to improve my photography, it makes me try different styles that i wouldn't normally try. Also i have really enjoyed doing still life, which isn't something that I've done much of before. I really try not to use an old photo for a theme, although I have used two, because I didn't want to get behind. I've now realised that as long as I have an idea in mind for the weeks theme, it isn't the end of the world if i miss the Wednesday "deadline".

I hit the post button before I'd finished. So just to add, keep up the good work, i like what I've seen so far :)

Mineral I love, imo I think it is a cracking shot, well thought out and taken. Good focus on the Iron Pyrite, and just love that reflection too with the great BG (y)(y)

Thanks, David. That's the first time I've achieved the clean dark reflective background and surface I see in my mind's eye so glad you like it :)

I've only just found your thread (I don't know why i hadn't seen it before, sorry). After reading your first post, i hope you don't fall by the way side. The 52 (my first attempt) is really helping me to improve my photography, it makes me try different styles that i wouldn't normally try. Also i have really enjoyed doing still life, which isn't something that I've done much of before. I really try not to use an old photo for a theme, although I have used two, because I didn't want to get behind. I've now realised that as long as I have an idea in mind for the weeks theme, it isn't the end of the world if i miss the Wednesday "deadline".

I hit the post button before I'd finished. So just to add, keep up the good work, i like what I've seen so far :)

Thanks for dropping in, Dominic, and for your kind comments. I agree that the 52 challenge is a great incentive to get out of our comfort zones and try new things, like still life, which I must admit I am enjoying more these days - even though it can give me headaches :banghead: I really want to complete the 52 this year so hopefully you'll being seeing plenty of me from now on after a lengthy hiatus, and once I've caught up again I'll be sure to catch up on everyone's threads. Thanks again :)

Week 6 - Whole

This is a slight shoehorn in that it's a fun image I did a few days ago and not specifically for my 52, but in the sense of "whole egg" or "in a whole lotta trouble" I think it fits the theme and helps me keep the momentum going. :D

I wish I could have got rid of the reflection on the bottom right corner under the egg cup, but I managed it for today's image of the pyrite so I'll take that as progress and keep working on it.

06 Whole

Last edited:
They're coming thick 'n fast. (y)

Hairy's a beaut ... shallow dof works really well.

Smooth ... that certainly is.

Mineral ... shines

Whole's a laugh ... motion blur is spot on and so too is the egg face.

:clap:

I had a go at photographing pyrite and found all those shiny facets to be a nightmare, I really think you have nailed it with your photo, nothing blown and the reflection is just right for me.

Love the movement of the spoon in whole, very well done.

A couple more ticked off Andrea :)
Mineral - Captured really well, not blown highlights and by adding the reflection you've avoided the 'floating' effect that sometime impacts on this kind of shot on a black background. Nicely done :)
Whole - Made me chuckle that did. Cool bit of motion blur. 1.6 seconds... Certainly gave you time to work with.

They're coming thick 'n fast. (y)

Hairy's a beaut ... shallow dof works really well.

Smooth ... that certainly is.

Mineral ... shines

Whole's a laugh ... motion blur is spot on and so too is the egg face.

Thanks for keeping up with me, David :) Getting 1-6 done in quick succession has given me a real shot in the arm and hopefully I'll be up to date by next weekend. Thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed Whole :D

I had a go at photographing pyrite and found all those shiny facets to be a nightmare, I really think you have nailed it with your photo, nothing blown and the reflection is just right for me.

Love the movement of the spoon in whole, very well done.

Thank you, Chris. I enjoyed doing those two :)

Nice Pyrite shot, but I love the egg shot,made me lol.

Thank you, Mark :) Goodness knows where the idea came from but it seems to have raised a few smiles, which is great.

A couple more ticked off Andrea :)
Mineral - Captured really well, not blown highlights and by adding the reflection you've avoided the 'floating' effect that sometime impacts on this kind of shot on a black background. Nicely done :)
Whole - Made me chuckle that did. Cool bit of motion blur. 1.6 seconds... Certainly gave you time to work with.

Thanks, Tim. I experimented with a few shutter speeds for Whole and eventually found the right balance between movement blur and a reasonably solid spoon. Glad you liked it :)

Whole is a hell of a fun shot, love the spoon blur :)

Thanks, David, glad you liked it. I had fun doing it, too :D

Mineral - a great shot, you've done very will to keep the highlights under control. Very sharp and good lighting.
Whole - great idea, fun shot. I like the motion blur of the spoon and the face on the egg :(

Mineral - a great shot, you've done very will to keep the highlights under control. Very sharp and good lighting.
Whole - great idea, fun shot. I like the motion blur of the spoon and the face on the egg :(

Thanks, Bernd, appreciate the feedback :)

Love the 'whole' shot - the motion of the spoon really does help tell the story

Thanks for visiting, Donna. Glad you like it (y)

Week 7 - Structure

I considered a few subjects like close-ups of leaves and brickwork as well as buildings, but after shooting a few things over the weekend I settled on this as my favourite. I think it certainly meets one definition of " A building or other object constructed from several parts" as it shows the various structures and walls of Peel Castle. The castle was originally constructed by Vikings and the cathedral ruins located within the walls are those of the former Cathedral of St German.

With so many textures and the reflection on the wet sand of the beach I thought it best suited black and white, which has also cut out the distracting colours of the lifeboat station and harbour office and light.

07 Structure by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Lovely mono conversion with a good sky and nice hint of a reflection in the foreground.

Hairy, lots of detail captured in the paw

Smooth, lovely scene, almost prefect conditions.

Mineral, Sharpe with lots of detail and a nice refection.

Whole, Nice idea, the blur looks great.

Structure, looks a wonderful place to visit, lots of opportunities.

(y)

Great photo for structure, lovely buildings, great reflection and B&W conversion works a treat!

Back