weekly Marsha's 2014 52 Week 11 added 03 Apr.

How can we compete when you've got a helicopter at your beck and call. My preference is for #1 due to the blurring of the blades (a little too much on the others). Expsoure has been nicely held as well.

I bet the kids loved the fact that daddy just dropped in to say hello.

Cheers Peter, I know what you mean on the blurring of the blades. One extreme to another, I have a shot of a merging with no motion at all in the blades! Yes, it is nice being able to walk ten minutes from your house and have this happen!!! The kids loved it until it got too loud!
Oh and I'm going for a trip with them on Friday, hopefully going to try and take my camera, but only a P&S!

Hi Marsha,
Close... I like #2 as it has the children in it so close to Daddy I dont mind the helicopter being a bit soft (y)

Thanks Judi, I tried getting a greater DOF but it didn't work with a shutter speed of 1/6 second!

#2, for me. Looks scarily close.

Pity there wasn't a gap between your daughter and the 'chopter.

Good use of macro to compress.

Cheers.

I tried to get that gap Andy, but trying to round the kids up and move backwards with this hovering about 50ft away was a challenge!

#1 is a great shot of the heli - impressive given it was an impromptu showing..

#2 with the kids is cool too, shows how "matter of fact" your boy is about it all, he's not even looking and still holding his pear!

#3 is pretty sharp for 1/25th, shame about the tail rotor.

Sounds like an exciting day out.

Graham there's nothing that would make my son drop his food, even a helicopter! And to show you how blasé they are about aircraft flying around, when we got home four Typhoon jets arrived, I called them to come and have a look, they were very unimpressed and ran back in saying 'come on, we're going to miss the film'!!!

That's some family portrait Marsha (y)
They all work well but the one with the helicopter composed between the kids is the standout image for me.
There's a lot of elements coming together technically that make the shot.

Great work and I am sure unique, unless anyone else doing the 52 has ready access to a helicopter :D

Well i am not going to offer any crit as i think all 3 are just fantastic as i love helicopters just as much as i do my bikes, If i had to pick one it would have to be 2 as i feel with the kids in it waving to daddy it gives the perspective of how close they are in relation to the helicopter.

Close - I saw these first on flickr excellent take on the theme and captured in the moment.

I was trying to figure out the helicopter type.

No.2, you can almost hear your kids shouting "Mum, Dads home" 3 great images Marsha (y)

#2 for me too - how lovely for them - bet dad was pleased to see them too :)

Hi Marsha
Close - some nicely composed shots there but easily the best for me is #2 as it best matches the theme, on its own it reeks closeness and your back story juat adds to the effect. The oof of the helocopter is not a bother at all because of the crispness of the focus o the children. (y)(y)
Mind you, it looks like the crew are rescuing someone's picnic gear! Is that what i pay my taxes for :D

Helloooooo :wave:

only a teeny bit jealous that you have a 'copter at hand ! If pushed I'd go for #1 due the just right motion blur but then #3 show's Close to the ground better......choices choices :D

Well i am not going to offer any crit as i think all 3 are just fantastic as i love helicopters just as much as i do my bikes, If i had to pick one it would have to be 2 as i feel with the kids in it waving to daddy it gives the perspective of how close they are in relation to the helicopter.
Thanks Mandy, I got a flight in this last week, well, more a dunking in the sea as I was a practice survivor for them!

Ooo love them :clap:

For me the best is the second shot with your little angels in the pic, lovely and sharp/well handled considering the bright light, and bang on straight horizons (y)

Now if only you could PP the rotors from the first image onto the second :)
I probably could DK if I had the time and patience!

Close - I saw these first on flickr excellent take on the theme and captured in the moment.

I was trying to figure out the helicopter type.
Cheers Richard. Did I say the type? If not it's a Griffin, or a Bell 412EP :)

No.2, you can almost hear your kids shouting "Mum, Dads home" 3 great images Marsha (y)
#2 for me but 3 nice shots. (y)
#2 for me too - how lovely for them - bet dad was pleased to see them too :)
Close - I like the first one, it's clean and you've got a good amount of motion on the rotors.
Hi Marsha
Close - some nicely composed shots there but easily the best for me is #2 as it best matches the theme, on its own it reeks closeness and your back story juat adds to the effect. The oof of the helocopter is not a bother at all because of the crispness of the focus o the children. (y)(y)
Mind you, it looks like the crew are rescuing someone's picnic gear! Is that what i pay my taxes for :D
Thanks everyone.
Helloooooo :wave:

only a teeny bit jealous that you have a 'copter at hand ! If pushed I'd go for #1 due the just right motion blur but then #3 show's Close to the ground better......choices choices :D
Cheers Lynne, I'm trying to get a few flights in before I get promoted to Mrs!

Bubble, now I rather liked this theme! Chasing bubbles on the rocks is quite a challenge! Shooting manually whilst trying to get really close and then running away when a bigger wave rolls in proved quite entertaining!

I think I got about 40 shots, edited down to 13 on Flickr :wideyed:

Here's the final selection:
This one for clarity, motion around the popping bubbles and the start bursts.

I like how the bubbles are all little windows to the rocks below!

The abstract collection:

Best I stop there!

C&C welcome :)

first one for me, love the little starburst in the main bubble - well done to get a focal point in amongst all of this lot... the two starbursts upper left draw the eye a bit.

second I like, but lacks the depth of the first....

and I don't do / don't get abstracts so no comment!

Hi Marsha, as I mentioned over on flickr, #1 gets my vote for clarity, composition and sparkliness :D

#1 for me too. I like the sharpness and clarity of the bubbles against the texture of the sand.

No.1 for me too Marsha (y), its been mentioned, I'll mention it again, the starbursts are great :)

Bubbles.... I think #1 is a cracker Marsha! I like its clarity and the way the bigger bubbles are like little magnifying glasses, well shot (y)(y)
Cheers Judi.
first one for me, love the little starburst in the main bubble - well done to get a focal point in amongst all of this lot... the two starbursts upper left draw the eye a bit.

second I like, but lacks the depth of the first....

and I don't do / don't get abstracts so no comment!
Thanks Graham, I've never got the abstract thing much. I blame Peter totally!
Hi Marsha, as I mentioned over on flickr, #1 gets my vote for clarity, composition and sparkliness :D
Cheers Iain, I especially like the use of the word sparkliness (y)
Great set of bubble images, I like the first one for sharpness and clarity lovely job and very fitting for the theme.
#1 for me too. I like the sharpness and clarity of the bubbles against the texture of the sand.
Bubble - #1 for me too. Great light and love the starbursts.
No.1 for me too Marsha (y), its been mentioned, I'll mention it again, the starbursts are great :)
Another for the starbursts in 1 !
Many thanks everyone :) Maybe next week I'll try and post only open shot!

Hi Marsha, 1 for me too quite like 2 too but like the DoF in the first

Hi Marsha
Bubble - good work (y)- some lovely detail and good, but restrained colour. #1 has good focus - that small rock to RHS really stands out- and the bubbles and starbursts are super. I like comp and shape in #2 but it does not have the depth of #1 - b/g is a bit too defocussed.

Back