weekly Marsha's 2014 52 Week 11 added 03 Apr.

The goblin

<span class="poty">POTY Winner 2015</span></br>
Name
Marsha
Edit My Images
Yes
AGGGGHHHH, I can't resist!

Best I get my butt organised and sort out last years though!!!

I will comment more this year, promise!

Week 0: Odd
Week 1: Line
Week 2: Play
Week 3: Close
Week 4: Bubble
Week 5: Smoke
Week 6: Mineral
Week 7: Sense
Week 8: Ending
Week 9: Positive
Week 10: Time
Week 11: Swirl Re-shoot Sense.
I'll add the rest later!

Last edited:
:agree: I am with you on the Landscape thing Matsha. I have never yet set out my stall to go early or late to catch the lower level of light that is so important in a landscape. Maybe when a theme comes up that prompts it we will plan it right :thinking:

Hi Marsha - is starting 2014 before you finish 2013 like having your icecream before you finish your main course.... :naughty:

Odd certainly is, parks in the snow don;t seem quite right somehow, but a roll of barbed wire.... :eek:

Passable landscape for line, you have a foreground interest which is always the thing I struggle with. Better sky would be nice, as you say... light on the rocks looks pretty nice though.

:agree: I am with you on the Landscape thing Matsha. I have never yet set out my stall to go early or late to catch the lower level of light that is so important in a landscape. Maybe when a theme comes up that prompts it we will plan it right :thinking:

Thanks Mark. I see the sunrise every morning and I WILL get up for it one day! This was actually taken during sunset but the sky is a bit pants!

Hi Marsha - is starting 2014 before you finish 2013 like having your icecream before you finish your main course.... :naughty:
Hi Graham :wave: yes, I think it is! 2013 was an awful year, so glad it's over! I'll finish that 52 eventually!

Odd certainly is, parks in the snow don;t seem quite right somehow, but a roll of barbed wire.... :eek:

Passable landscape for line, you have a foreground interest which is always the thing I struggle with. Better sky would be nice, as you say... light on the rocks looks pretty nice though.

The snow was actually solid ice, the kids were disappointed the couldn't make snow men!

The sky out here is a bit garbage for photography. It's mostly blue (hardship I know) with wishy washy clouds. The annoying thing the day before the clouds were great!

Hi Marsha
Odd - nicely composed and a bright image for a snowy day.
Line - good viewpoint. Agree with Graham re the lighting
Cheers Alan. Like Graham I struggle with foreground interest, even though this isn't an award winning landscape shot it's a start!

Now can someone tell me how to multi quote on this new forum?

Hhhhhhheeeeeerrrrrrreeeeesssss, Marsha :)

Odd, well spotted and a very Odd place to leave barbed wire :thinking:

Lines, interesting interpretation. Pity you couldn't emphasis the line in the centre more. Looks a tad soft. Sunset would have been nice.

Welcome back.

Cheers.

Now can someone tell me how to multi quote on this new forum?

Just scroll thro the posts and click the 'Quote' button on any that you wish to quote and they will just list at the bottom. No need for the old system of first and last quotes etc. Works well. In fact I think that the new site and ways of working in it are excellent. I find the Alerts partic good at keeping up to date

Odd: certainly is!

Coastline: lots of lines in this one. Maybe a crop to focus down a bit more. Not sure where main point of focus for the eye is.

Hi Marsha, Good to see you again.

Odd - Definitely odd to have barbed wire in the playground
Line - The sea looks a nice colour but you'd probably guess I'd be tempted to put a 10 stop ND on the camera. Looks like you didn't stray too far from the base ;)

Hhhhhhheeeeeerrrrrrreeeeesssss, Marsha :)

Odd, well spotted and a very Odd place to leave barbed wire :thinking:

Lines, interesting interpretation. Pity you couldn't emphasis the line in the centre more. Looks a tad soft. Sunset would have been nice.

Welcome back.

Cheers.

Many thanks Andy. Cyprus really is an odd place! Some bloke had a bonfire in his garage a few weeks ago!!!!
As for emphasising the line in the centre, do you mean to have the actual coastline down the middle of the shot? I went for the rule of thirds here. The sunset was the the other was, I have tried to shoot that as well!

Yup, it is a tad soft, I also forgot to sharpen it :bonk: done that now!

Just scroll thro the posts and click the 'Quote' button on any that you wish to quote and they will just list at the bottom. No need for the old system of first and last quotes etc. Works well. In fact I think that the new site and ways of working in it are excellent. I find the Alerts partic good at keeping up to date

Cheers Alan. I am still finding my way around this new look forum!

Hi
welcome back
lovely light on rocks in landscape
Cheers Anita. The light here is amazing, beautiful golden and red hues. So difficult to capture as it is gone in a blink!

A good start, it certainly is odd to have barbed wire in a childrens playground.
Thanks Judi. Admittedly they had made an attempt to shut the park, but kids are like water, they get everywhere!

Odd: certainly is!

Coastline: lots of lines in this one. Maybe a crop to focus down a bit more. Not sure where main point of focus for the eye is.

I know what you're saying, not sure where to crop it though!

Great start to your 52 I look forward to following you.
Thanks Mandy, and you too :)

Hi Marsha, Good to see you again.

Odd - Definitely odd to have barbed wire in the playground
Line - The sea looks a nice colour but you'd probably guess I'd be tempted to put a 10 stop ND on the camera. Looks like you didn't stray too far from the base ;)

Hey Peter :wave: So good to see you guys back here this year. I think it was seeing you, Sarah, Alex and Iain all back in gave me the push to do another year, that and I need a bit of structure to keep me motivated!

Alas I don't possess a 10 stop ND. Only the baby brother 0.6ND. I can't justify the added spend until my landscape skills improve, a lot! I did try and slow things down, I believe this is a 2 second exposure with both the 0.6ND and the 0.6 hard grad on. The urge to shop for more filters is niggling away though!!!! If I didn't have the kids waiting in the car to be taken for dinner I would have maybe attempted to slow things down even more, next time!

Many thanks for dropping in everyone.

And they're going to help this week I guess, playing is something they seem to be rather good at :D They had Daddy in the car entertaining them. I get nervous when they're anywhere near the cliffs!

Oh and Peter, this shot was taken on camp :) The cliffs are out of bounds after sunset and before sunrise, so I may have to venture further afield to find a good spot to await the sunrise one day!

wooohooo....she's back in for another year :clap::clap: & we're only just a teeny weeny bit greeneyed that you're in sunny Cyprus :naughty:

Barbed wire in a playgorund.....cripes , H&S over here would have a field day with that one :rage:

Lovely scene in your lines shot....landscape is something I love but struggle with as well...maybe we should coach each other:D Dunno if you get Digital Photo mag out there but they have some great tutroials....one I've been trying out is making 3 separate exposures from one RAW file then blending then to get the max detail throughout the whole shot . Take a look at the photoanswers website as well :)

Thanks Paul.

wooohooo....she's back in for another year :clap::clap: & we're only just a teeny weeny bit greeneyed that you're in sunny Cyprus :naughty:

Yup I'm back, making more of an effort with the commenting this year, you'd think being a 'house wife' now is have more time on my hands, hahahaha!

Barbed wire in a playgorund.....cripes , H&S over here would have a field day with that one :rage:

I know. They're supposed to be in the EU now, I think they're selective with what rules they follow!

Lovely scene in your lines shot....landscape is something I love but struggle with as well...maybe we should coach each other:D Dunno if you get Digital Photo mag out there but they have some great tutroials....one I've been trying out is making 3 separate exposures from one RAW file then blending then to get the max detail throughout the whole shot . Take a look at the photoanswers website as well :)
The coaching each other part I like. Feel free to visit, it's a shocking 19c here all week if you can cope!

Are you talking about HDR? I wanted to try and get it right in camera, but the sky really was that colour, even with a filter on!

I will try HDR. But I seem to be rubbish at it.

Cheers Lynne.

Last edited:
I would rather get it right in camera if I can, but the power of PP is rather amazing!

I agree, I like to get it right in camera, but then I still have to get it right in PP ;)

I prefer the first edit, the second one look too forces in PP to me, I like the scene but to improve and a nice sky and better light would help the image and also the image is a tad soft for my liking. either way, the composition is good - now you just got to get the timing ;)

Hey Marsha - Good to see you in for 2014 :)

Odd - Nice Barbed wire lol, looks like it's been there a while too :D

Line - Well the Edit works for me, some lovely colours brought out, looks like some real warmth from the sun in them rocks, some nice detail in the sky too, looks a lovely spot (y)

I agree, I like to get it right in camera, but then I still have to get it right in PP ;)

I prefer the first edit, the second one look too forces in PP to me, I like the scene but to improve and a nice sky and better light would help the image and also the image is a tad soft for my liking. either way, the composition is good - now you just got to get the timing ;)
Cheers Nick. The annoying thing is I did get the timing right, I was there as the sun was setting, I'm just in need of doing better! As for it being soft, also annoying as the camera was on a tripod :bonk: Off to learn more lessons!

Hey Marsha - Good to see you in for 2014 :)

Odd - Nice Barbed wire lol, looks like it's been there a while too :D

Line - Well the Edit works for me, some lovely colours brought out, looks like some real warmth from the sun in them rocks, some nice detail in the sky too, looks a lovely spot (y)
Hey DK, I can't possibly stay away! Although 2013 is hanging around my neck like an albatross, I am just going to post the lot at once I think!!!! Thanks for the comments. The hours here are odd with the kids at school so I only have half hour a night to get some comments on, but planning on a few every night!!!

Hi Marsha, Nice surprise to see you here! I've decided to give it another go for 2014.
Not sure I can add a lot to what has already been said about your pics - your re-post for "Line" is definitely an improvement.
Good luck for the rest of the year!
Hello MIke :wave: good to see you back for another year :clap: Many thanks for the comments :)

This week is a freebie with two small people who play all day! Two days, two different forms of entertainment:

Some painting in the garden for a school project:

I actually like the wonky angle!

And a visit to the beach today:

Try telling a five year old to NOT splash to stop her feet getting wet! This was the first shot there :rolleyes:

If I had to choose a favourite it would be number three!

C&C welcome, cheers all.

No.3 for me too Marsha, well captured (y)

Love the litle girl jumping at the waves! And I prefer the second attempt at 'Lines' theme.

(We are hoping to be in Cyprus ourselves later this year - permanently!)

No.3 for me too Marsha, well captured (y)
Cheers Phil.
Love the litle girl jumping at the waves! And I prefer the second attempt at 'Lines' theme.
Thanks Diane

(We are hoping to be in Cyprus ourselves later this year - permanently!)
Oooo really? Where abouts? We could have our own mini 52 meet :) If you need any info let me know, I have family in Barnsley as well, small world! There are quite a few of us on here from the Yorkshire area!

yes #3 for me too lokks like great fun :)
great set of images for the theme but i have to pick number 3 as well.
Thanks Judi and Mandy. I'm happy I caught it in focus :)

Oooo really? Where abouts? We could have our own mini 52 meet :) If you need any info let me know, I have family in Barnsley as well, small world! There are quite a few of us on here from the Yorkshire area!

Somewhere around the Paphos area, we think. We were almost out there a couple of years ago, then I went and got a job!! I might need some hints and tips as time goes on. We have to get the house sold first, that's the first hurdle. I already know quite a few Yorkies in Cyprus too! We have had meetings of the Tykes Club when we've been there.

Back