weekly mercurius's 52 in 2013 - Week 52: Water (and that's a wrap!)

Edit My Images
Yes
Never tried this before, but I need the challenge to try and improve my photography through some sort of discipline.

Wish me luck! (I'd cross my own fingers, but don't need any more handicaps when taking shots)

Last edited:
Best of luck, welcome in!

Plenty of us have started early... Look forward to seeing your efforts! (y)

Hi ya...welcome aboard.....:wave:

Have fun with your project , any questions just ask away, we're a friendly bunch round here (y)

OK, struggled with this, but here we go with Week 1 Sin.

This is my Pride (and joy) or my (badge of) Pride. Hopefully it can only get better from here on!

_DSC0042_zps714344fd.jpg

Last edited:
Going off to do a search for a Yeti car now, not having heard of it before. I think you managed to leave a few specs of dust on the bodywork of your Pride and joy (mine is covered in mud so what is a few specs of dust, come to think of it my body is as well having just done my "sin" picture).

Nice to see I am not the only one doing this challenge for the first time

Nice different take on the theme (y)

Good luck with your 52!

Thanks, Puckers.

Going off to do a search for a Yeti car now, not having heard of it before. I think you managed to leave a few specs of dust on the bodywork of your Pride and joy (mine is covered in mud so what is a few specs of dust, come to think of it my body is as well having just done my "sin" picture).

Nice to see I am not the only one doing this challenge for the first time

Yes, should have got my duster out first, but actually it's the cleanest it's looked for ages (at least one good thing about all this rain).

Great car, the Yeti. Bought mine when I was made redundant and retired after driving company saloons for yonks. It makes driving fun again. Good luck with your 52.

The Sin of pride. Interesting take on the theme.

I can see why you've included the light, but I'd like it to be more minimal and just the badge, also loosing the rim thing at the bottom. Looks a tad out of focus :thinking:

I look forward to your future posts (y)

Cheers.

The Sin of pride. Interesting take on the theme.

I can see why you've included the light, but I'd like it to be more minimal and just the badge, also loosing the rim thing at the bottom. Looks a tad out of focus :thinking:

I look forward to your future posts (y)

Cheers.

Thanks for your comments, Andy. I seem to have a lot of problems with out of focus shots. This was taken with a prime 35mm f1.8 lens as well! I have been mucking about in the past couple of days with the diopter on my viewfinder to see if it makes any difference and I wonder if that is why it is soft.

I like your idea mercurius, I can't see the viewfinder being the issue with sharpness unless you are manual focusing, what you must remember, you have had a good idea, taken a shot and got it up, if you keep doing that every week your photo's will improve no end - good idea, and keep them coming (y)

Hi ya

I like those Yete's....still a strange name for them though :thinking:
I like the inclusion of the lamp unit as it gives the badge some context...would have cropped the tailgate line out though , maybe made it more letterbox shape crop ? & Yeti's are'nt meant to be clean :LOL:

Good start to your project...keep it going (y)

good thinking behind it but not sure of the composition i can't give you any pointers sorry

I shall have to google as have never heard of a yeti car... having a micra, pride isn't something I have for my car.. great start for your 52 :)

Here's week 2 - and the snow has come just at the right time for this week's effort.

_DSC0032-Edit_zps97d7b269.jpg

Last edited:
You've handled the snow very well, overall, just the seat area looks a little blown. Nice detail and on theme.

Personally, it feels a tad close.

Overall, :clap:

Love it, great find :)

And I hope you sat on it afterwards, it's too good an opportunity!

Oh Yes I like that, well found, with no footprints around it makes it look a very avoided/abandoned area - well exposed and good WB (y)

Thank you. Yes, it's a very deserted spot where hardly anyone ever goes: my back garden in fact!

He's certainly grave, in fact he looks positively upset! I think this works really well; the monochrome tones are nice, and the background is well separated, and the composition works. The only niggle would be the out of focus lump in front middle, which just looks a bit odd. I'm guessing you didn't have too many options there!

He's certainly grave, in fact he looks positively upset! I think this works really well; the monochrome tones are nice, and the background is well separated, and the composition works. The only niggle would be the out of focus lump in front middle, which just looks a bit odd. I'm guessing you didn't have too many options there!

This.

I must be tired because I don't get the connection to the theme :thinking:

A tiny bit of background info would be nice, as I'm struggling to get the link... Sir Frances Drake ?? :thinking: really liking the image, the PP and the DoF around his head though :)

Hi Dark Knight, its Gravity in the sense of 'seriousness'. It depicts a tomb effigy in a church (so also linked to the theme through 'grave'), nobody famous as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for your comments. I took it in a rather dark corner of a church, standing on a chair looking down at the subject and balancing myself with one hand on the nearest wall, so that's why it's probably not as sharp as it could be! Shame about the hands in prayer, but as ever, didn't pick it up until I looked at the pics on screen.

This.

I must be tired because I don't get the connection to the theme :thinking:

Gravity = seriousness. Also it's a tomb effigy, so I suppose another link through 'grave'. Perhaps I should stick to straightforward pics that are more on theme!

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Hi Dark Knight, its Gravity in the sense of 'seriousness'. It depicts a tomb effigy in a church (so also linked to the theme through 'grave'), nobody famous as far as I'm aware.

Gravity = seriousness. Also it's a tomb effigy, so I suppose another link through 'grave'. Perhaps I should stick to straightforward pics that are more on theme!

Thanks for looking and commenting.
NO !!!! we love tenuous links... we thickies just like an explanation of them at the start :D

OK, not totally inspired this week, so went with literal interpretation of the theme.

_DSC0020_zps9262b31c.jpg

Hi ya

Gravity...I also needed the explanation ....sometimes you get so hung up on one meaning of a word that you clean forget it has more....welll thought of connection...good detail , mono suits & great use of DOF (y)

Wild.....Swans are def Wild so bang on theme.... I'd be happy with the exposure on the whites as no blown bits....if you try for this type of shot again go for a lower POV....works better when you're at their level (y)

I quite like the image. I agree with what the others have said so far. If im honest its better than my swan shots i got at Pennington Flash the other week, its not as easy as it looks to expose for swans especially in bad light as well i think anyways but im not expert.

Back