weekly mercurius's 52 in 2013 - Week 52: Water (and that's a wrap!)

+1 I don;t quite get your take on the theme, but maybe I'm just being dim

I find my eye wandering around a bit and not sure what to focus on. Don;t ask me for a technical explanation of that because I am not adept/experienced enough...just exlaining my experience of viewing the shot... HTH

Hi ya

different take on the theme & a pretty good shot for a phone camera :) works well with the body in shot , & I like the contrast from left to righthand side of the screen :)

Well spotted. Like the idea. Well done for getting it on phone.

In heavy catch up mode after being in hospital and recuperating for a spell. This is the letter O:

Letter_zps88887890.jpg

Hi, Letter, latteral thinking here and I like it. It's a tad under exposed, amybe.

Electricity, yip, on theme. Again looks underexposed. How did you meter? Possibly get closer.

Direction, nice detail and I do like these old signposts. I'd like a bit more oomph and ideally perfect symmentry would be better.

Cheers.

Hiya :wave:

What a lovely old milestone.

It's well exposed and clearly focussed and I like the limited colour palette.

To be honest I'm not keen on the crop - personal taste of course - to me it feels a bit close on the bottom and the whole thing is kind of lacking context, maybe you could have made it the focal point of a larger scene?

Sorry to be so negative, I hope you found this constructive.

Hi M

letter....brilliant idea for theme...like the processing & lighting just right for me...good detail in the wood & handle without any blown bits...a bit of a web as well (y)

Direction...needs a little something to make it pop a bit more but good find & on theme for sure :)

Electric...quite partial to these turbines....needs a little tweak on exposure I feel & a slight straighten...appears to be listing to the right a smidge ?

Hi, Letter, latteral thinking here and I like it. It's a tad under exposed, amybe.

Electricity, yip, on theme. Again looks underexposed. How did you meter? Possibly get closer.

Direction, nice detail and I do like these old signposts. I'd like a bit more oomph and ideally perfect symmentry would be better.

Cheers.

Thanks for your comments. Agree that the PP on Electricity could be improved, I'll have another go at that one and Direction.

Really like Direction, but I'm not in favour of symmettry, and wonder if some negative space on one side (gotta be Shepton Mallet 2 1/4!) might give a stronger sense of direction?

Like your thinking and this might be the only nature type photograph. Value indeed.

Nice low angle and shallow DOF.

Crit, looks a tad underexposed on my laptop.

Cheers.

Hi mercurious, that's nicely exposed and I like the way you have isolated it from the wall with a shallow DOF. (y)

A possible improvement (for next time) might be to clean up a little before you shoot, the bit of string or whatever it is is a little bit of a distraction. (no harm in a quick tidy up I always think, but of course, within reason!) keep at it, you are improving fast.

Hi mercurious, that's nicely exposed and I like the way you have isolated it from the wall with a shallow DOF. (y)

A possible improvement (for next time) might be to clean up a little before you shoot, the bit of string or whatever it is is a little bit of a distraction. (no harm in a quick tidy up I always think, but of course, within reason!) keep at it, you are improving fast.

Thanks for your kind words, Brian.

Actually the main reason I took the photograph was because of the dried piece of root in front of the flower. It reminded me of a snake!

Tenuous link for value, but lovely photo, well done.

Greed indeed. Took a while to realise what the building on the right was, and it wasn't a photo of a window. Maybe would have worked better shooting close up to the sign on the right with the barclays sign behind it?

Greed indeed. Took a while to realise what the building on the right was, and it wasn't a photo of a window. Maybe would have worked better shooting close up to the sign on the right with the barclays sign behind it?

Thanks for your suggestion on Greed. I've had a few more goes at it now. They're getting closer but still not right.

and finally, this one which might have worked if the union jack had been unfurled (didn't have the stepladder with me at the time to fix it!).

I really like the Angle shot looks like a spine nicely composed in the frame (y)

Got to agree with Allan, spine was the first thought on seeing this.

Nicely leads through the frame.

Angle, well composed and well spotted. Well processed. No crit on this one.

Rustic, another one on theme and nice lead in line. The vignette (unless it's natural) leads the eye but it's a tad tark for me.

Cheers.

Hi M

good on you for trying some different angles (y)...think the 2nd version is the stronger...just maybe crop out the bit of doorway to the rhs so the image finishes a few mm after the plaque....?

Thanks for the encouraging comment and suggestion, Lynne.

Angle, well composed and well spotted. Well processed. No crit on this one.

Rustic, another one on theme and nice lead in line. The vignette (unless it's natural) leads the eye but it's a tad tark for me.

Cheers.

Thanks for the comments - much appreciated. I used the pinhole preset in Silver Efex 2 as my starting point. For some reason, I tend to prefer darker tones in my pictures.

Gorgeous lighting, I love it in mono too.

I also find it a bit "tark" :LOL: - but it does suit the subject matter and it's a lovely composition. (y)

Back