weekly mercurius's 52 in 2013 - Week 52: Water (and that's a wrap!)

Limited time, I'm afraid, so quick comments...

Nicely captured. Bit under exposed and clipped tail.

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback. Shot was taken under time constraints, but no excuse really for clipping the tail.

Hi ya

Gravity...I also needed the explanation ....sometimes you get so hung up on one meaning of a word that you clean forget it has more....welll thought of connection...good detail , mono suits & great use of DOF (y)

Wild.....Swans are def Wild so bang on theme.... I'd be happy with the exposure on the whites as no blown bits....if you try for this type of shot again go for a lower POV....works better when you're at their level (y)

Many thanks and appreciate your suggestion about POV.

I agree with Lynne's comments here, swans can be difficult with all that light reflecting off the water onto them and blowing out their feathers at times so it is nice to see the detail

Thanks for looking and for your feedback.

I quite like the image. I agree with what the others have said so far. If im honest its better than my swan shots i got at Pennington Flash the other week, its not as easy as it looks to expose for swans especially in bad light as well i think anyways but im not expert.

Yes they can be a tricky subject. Thanks for looking and commenting.

So here's my take on space, in this case the gap between the two rails:

Space_zpsfcb317ea.jpg

Welll, after a long look at this one, I'm still not sure.... Some thinking out loud...

Don't think it's quite straight overall, needs a bit of ACW rotate, maybe too close a crop to the left barrier at its top, maybe half a step to the right would have put you more central to the alley, maybe include some more of the top of the walls to give the sense of perspective.

Having said that - its a good subject and you've got the focus on the barriers which is the important bit, you do get drawn into it and wonder what's at the end. I think you're right to have the extra space in the wall to the right, again draws you through the 'space'.

I like this shot but i think i would like a little more above the barriers and there to be a bit more of a central composition, but im guessing you needed the slight angle to get the staggered look of the barriers. I think the black and white works well also.

Hi ya

I quite like your Space shot.....draw's your eye down the lane , long thin space coupled with the space between the 2 barriers & works well in mono (y) I think it's one of those shots that will naturally look a little on the squiff...the rh post of the lh barrier:)eek:) looks straight enough to me , the rh barrier was obviously put in to the ground on the squiff or the walls falling over on that side :LOL:

Welll, after a long look at this one, I'm still not sure.... Some thinking out loud...

Don't think it's quite straight overall, needs a bit of ACW rotate, maybe too close a crop to the left barrier at its top, maybe half a step to the right would have put you more central to the alley, maybe include some more of the top of the walls to give the sense of perspective.

Having said that - its a good subject and you've got the focus on the barriers which is the important bit, you do get drawn into it and wonder what's at the end. I think you're right to have the extra space in the wall to the right, again draws you through the 'space'.

Thanks for looking and your comments.

Hi ya

I quite like your Space shot.....draw's your eye down the lane , long thin space coupled with the space between the 2 barriers & works well in mono (y) I think it's one of those shots that will naturally look a little on the squiff...the rh post of the lh barrier:)eek:) looks straight enough to me , the rh barrier was obviously put in to the ground on the squiff or the walls falling over on that side :LOL:

Thanks for your comments.you're right about the right hand barrier, it is on the skew.

This is my fallback idea for this week as I couldn't find what i wanted for my first idea.

_DSC0012_zps8a5b06f0.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, Like Space, nice composition and good depth. Can't work if the barriers have been bent outwards or there some distortion?

Work, not easy when you can't photograph what you want. Decent fallback and on theme. I'm not keen on having the cuter things :D horizontal, might have worked better with a 45 degree counter clockwise rotation?

Cheers.

Yep... think you have it all there (y)

Really like the concept on your space photo. I'd agree it needs a bit of a rotate, and perhaps slight reframing.

Work looks far too much like hard work. I hate gardening. :p

This is my fallback idea for this week as I couldn't find what i wanted for my first idea.

At least you had more than one idea.. :LOL:

Good natural colours in this one, clear to see the work that's been done, agree with Andy that some angle would have made the shot more dynamic.

Yes, the pretty vibrant green, the two oranges, and the several angles (handles and the rock wall) make up a very pleasing composition from a simple subject.

Hi, Like Space, nice composition and good depth. Can't work if the barriers have been bent outwards or there some distortion?

Work, not easy when you can't photograph what you want. Decent fallback and on theme. I'm not keen on having the cuter things :D horizontal, might have worked better with a 45 degree counter clockwise rotation?

Cheers.

Thanks for your comments. Take your point about the cutters, although I would probably have struggled to keep them in focus!

Really like the concept on your space photo. I'd agree it needs a bit of a rotate, and perhaps slight reframing.

Work looks far too much like hard work. I hate gardening. :p

Thanks for looking and commenting. I prefer the sort of work in your avatar!

At least you had more than one idea.. :LOL:

Good natural colours in this one, clear to see the work that's been done, agree with Andy that some angle would have made the shot more dynamic.

Thanks for commenting, Graham.

oooh yeah - one massive pan of sausages being fried up, couldn;t be more on theme!

Good colours, steam rising, like the hint of eggs in the background, good work!

Excellent, pity you can't say "all for me!" :). Really nice colours and the composition works too.

Holy crap, that's a lot of sausages :D

Lovely lighting, nice angle and detail. Crit, the box of eggs draws my eye and would be easy to crop out, if needed.

Cheers.

Holy crap, that's a lot of sausages :D

Lovely lighting, nice angle and detail. Crit, the box of eggs draws my eye and would be easy to crop out, if needed.

Cheers.

Thanks for the comments. I did think about cropping the eggs, but felt in the end it added a bit of context. In retrospect they do distract the eye though.

The Crop needs to be Larger to include all the pan or tighter in for me so the food overwhelms the image - not sure if oof too :thinking: - A great idea and goo image though :)

Thanks for your comments. On your oof point: this is something that troubles me a lot about my pics. I took this handheld, but with a good firm stance. I went back to check the EXIF data for this pic: 35mm f1.8 lens, ISO 200, 1/50 sec, f8. Any thoughts on how to improve the sharpness of my pictures?

I just couldn't get the shot I wanted for this week. I went to a particular churchyard once which had all the right ingredients for my planned shot, but I can't find it again.

So it's a fallback shot again. This is meant to illustrate Time (vs eternity):

Time_zps1a048250.jpg

Pretty good fallback shot here. The empty sky doesn't detract as there's plenty in the rest of the shot.

Don't know if you could try something to bring out the 2 foreground gravestones a bit - to separate them from the background, might need to be done selectively in PP??

Very nice compostion, and focussing is bang on. :D

Thanks for your comment.

Pretty good fallback shot here. The empty sky doesn't detract as there's plenty in the rest of the shot.

Don't know if you could try something to bring out the 2 foreground gravestones a bit - to separate them from the background, might need to be done selectively in PP??

I have lightened the headstone on the left, but it could do with some more processing to make it stand out more.

Great photo there for time. Certainly shows a building that's been there for some time too.

Hi there M

liking your Time shot...mono works well ..not sure why but it has an almost 3d feel to it . I suffer from your problem as well....spot lots of things when I'm out n about but can never find them again when I want them :bonk:

I didn't have a single idea about how to tackle this week's theme. So, this is a grab shot taken on my phone in the car wash and the 'juxtaposition' is between the two different types of soap sud on the screen. It really needs a lot more processing to make it work properly, but heck it was only a 5 megapixel jpeg.

Hope next week's theme cuts us a bit of slack!

photo_zpsff53db13.jpg

Hi, there, sometimes the themes just don't click.

The link is somewhat tenuous.

But, that said, as a photograph I do like it, especially with the guy on the LH side.

I'd like to see a bit more contrast in the blacks and whites.

Cheers.

Back