weekly mercurius's 52 in 2013 - Week 52: Water (and that's a wrap!)

That's a big canvas right there! Hard to crit, just works really well, both from a theme point of view, and as an image. Nice!

nice texture in the wall for pattern - B&W working well here - cloning the black shadow out is harder than it might seem (I tried :D).... Doesnt detract too much for me though

movement - bold choice, well done for posting up a completely blurred shot and receiving no negative comments. :LOL: Also love the colours, and there's just enough shape in the flowers making up the triangle to the right to hold interest. (y)

movement - bold choice, well done for posting up a completely blurred shot and receiving no negative comments. :LOL: Also love the colours, and there's just enough shape in the flowers making up the triangle to the right to hold interest. (y)

Well, to be honest, I did expect some comments about OOF and my hands were already covering my head in a defensive posture:) Thanks for pointing out the triangle - I hadn't noticed it!

Mercurius, I liked your pattern shot a lot, and wasn't too offended by the big shadow; the shot would have been very different without it and might have been less effective? I did really like Movement; great idea. It's really hard to find the right crop with something like this, but there are enough hinted lines and features here to take my eye around the frame.

Mercurius, I liked your pattern shot a lot, and wasn't too offended by the big shadow; the shot would have been very different without it and might have been less effective? I did really like Movement; great idea. It's really hard to find the right crop with something like this, but there are enough hinted lines and features here to take my eye around the frame.

Chris, on pattern, it's a difficult call. Personally, I agree with some of the posters who said it didn't quite work. It would have been better if I could have taken it with some space between the big shape and the upper left one. Many thanks for your kind words about Movement. I find it had to see the patterns in it and certainly didn't see anything like it when I took it!

Not very inspired this week, so my recent visit to the opera at the Millennium Centre will have to do. Thank God for the iPhone!

Hi, sometimes you have to get them when you can (y)

Love the old chap in the lower balcony, seem to be thinking, "what the hell am I doing here?!"

Cheers.

An interesting image is an interesting image. I like the way the balconies flow down the frame, and the textures are nice. The people add interest and the softness of the lights and the grain give it a really nice, warm feel.

I find this quite abstract. It looks very flat but that doesn't spoil it because it keeps on moving your eyes around the frame following the lines of the balconies... I don't like the colour(s) or the grainy- ness, they are subjective though. The people add size and meaning. well done.

Hi M

interesting shot....lovely lines , rather abstract & I think the graininess works well :)

Falling a bit behind, so am now in catch up mode - two weeks for the price of one.

Here's Size:

and Process:

I'm not sure what I can offer on Size. It doesn't really hold my interest, and I'm not sure what I could suggest that would help. Fits with the theme though.

Process on the other hand, is a lovely shot. Cracking idea, a really nice take on the theme. DOF, composition and colours work really well together, and the detail in the decay is great.(y)

have to agree with the above comment, process nicely thought out it never occurred to me to do rust :bonk: a very common natural process :clap:

I like the contrast of the fields & hedges in the distance, It's unfortunate that the stone is a little lost amongst the grass. Nice outlook though.

Hi, Size, on theme but I feel a cleaner image would be better. One a clean surface for me.

Process, interesting interpretation. Possible a bit busy with the top loop and a bit too much FG at the bottom, but nice colours in the rust.

Cheers.

Hi, Size, on theme but I feel a cleaner image would be better. One a clean surface for me.

Process, interesting interpretation. Possible a bit busy with the top loop and a bit too much FG at the bottom, but nice colours in the rust.

Cheers.

What's FG?

I dont think the B+W is helping the image it all blends into one the stone needs to stand out a bit more

Hi M

FG= foreground (y)

Stone....wonder if the Rock would stand out more if it were in color ? Still , it's on theme with a good view and a few clouds as well (y)

You mentioned in my thread about artefacts in your mono shots....might be worth downloading the trial version of Neat Image.....only saves images a jpegs but does a fairly good job of removing noise that pse can't ,trial is free as well (y)

:wave: well done on getting to the half way point!!!

From a composition perspective I think there's a lot going for the stone image.
Nice low angle - good balance of foreground, midground and sky and the grass and stone add some really nice foreground interest.

Like the others though, I'm finding that stone a bit lost and am wondering whether colour may have worked better.

Hi M

FG= foreground (y)

Stone....wonder if the Rock would stand out more if it were in color ? Still , it's on theme with a good view and a few clouds as well (y)

You mentioned in my thread about artefacts in your mono shots....might be worth downloading the trial version of Neat Image.....only saves images a jpegs but does a fairly good job of removing noise that pse can't ,trial is free as well (y)

Hi Lynne
Thanks for your comments, I'll try it in colour. Many thanks also for the suggestion of Neat Image: I haven't come across this one before. I normally use Lightroom + SFX Pro2 and notice that SFX Pro2 does seem to put a lot of artefacts in my pics. Perhaps there I should also explore the in-application noise reduction tools too.

I have used Noise Ninja in the dim and distant past, but not sure I've even got it on my PC now. Do you know how it compares to Neat Image?

:wave: well done on getting to the half way point!!!

From a composition perspective I think there's a lot going for the stone image.
Nice low angle - good balance of foreground, midground and sky and the grass and stone add some really nice foreground interest.

Like the others though, I'm finding that stone a bit lost and am wondering whether colour may have worked better.

Thanks Sarah. I'll have another go in colour. I think the main problem though is the grass is just too long for the stone to stand out more. Should have waited for the farmer to cut it first!

Hi..sorry it's taken me so long to get around to commenting..trying to catch up :bonk:

Pattern:Liking the black and white contrast, the different patterns makes for an interesting shot

Movement:Lovely colour, just enough of the flowers in focus to see what they are (y)

Below:Liking the flowing lines, well caught on your phone!

Size:made me smile :)

Hi..sorry it's taken me so long to get around to commenting..trying to catch up :bonk:

Pattern:Liking the black and white contrast, the different patterns makes for an interesting shot

Movement:Lovely colour, just enough of the flowers in focus to see what they are (y)

Below:Liking the flowing lines, well caught on your phone!

Size:made me smile :)

Anita - many thanks for looking and for your comments.

Back