weekly Minx 52 for 2016 -Finished

Camo - works well with the BG and nice and sharp on the clothing - well done

Abandoned - like the composition on this - nice image with the juxtaposition of the burnt out car and surrounding greenery

Danger - !!!!! :) The first one for me (glad for the explanation though !)

Living world - I prefer the colours of the second

Topical - took a few seconds and then the penny dropped - very clever

Spiky - ouch I bet those could do some damage - #1 for me !

Thanks everybody for you comments when I originally cropped spiky I actually looked at #2 first but preferred the look of #1.

25848452131_675048e776_c.jpg

Artificial by Alison White, on Flickr

I was hoping the ink would take better if I left it longer but this seems to be it, artificially coloured flowers

Last edited:
Hiya minx... I like the artificial shot and it feels on-theme enough for me. My pet "issue" at the moment though is exposure and I reckon you could lift this by a stop at least without blowing anything... the petals should and could be a lot whiter?

You'll be a proud parent and well done to your son. You've captured a super achievement (y) I rather like the way the bunting frames his head!

I've tried this with daisies with children at school and had about the same amount of success - not sure why either! I like the way you've arranged the flowers so we can see front and back, but I'd agree with Paul that it is a bit dark. Well don to your son - that's a great achievement and a lovely shot to remember it by.

Same as everyone else, the flowers could do with lifting a tad,
And Congrats to your son on the 2.5k (y)

Well done on the mini catch-up. Artificial: I noticed the colouring - could do with a lot more but fine for the theme. Personal: What an achievement - couldn't be more appropriate.

Another in agreement regarding lifting the exposure on the flowers.
Well done to Your son too!

Personal - Lovely personal image congratulations to your son a great achievement

Topical - a nice image, I just don't get the link to the theme:thinking:.

Spiky - number one works better for me composition wise.

Artificial - a nice shot and fits the theme.

Personal - a nice portrait of your son and well done to him for his achievement.

Hi Alison,
Great shot for personal. Very well done to your Son too.
I think I prefer the second Artificial shot - very clever take on the theme. Something I have not tried but will do at some point.
I like your Effort shots. Made even better by it being your own work (y) As said, nice colourful shadows too.

Those are lovely works of art - good that you put in effort to such good effect. Like the second best with the variety of shapes.

Well done on both counts. The glass blowing looks brilliant and I love the images especially the shadows/reflections

Oh I love the collection shot for effort minx......Gorgeous colour!
I'd love a go at that.
The flatter piece reminds me of the ceiling in the Belagio in Vegas!!

I like the way you've back-lit the glass and the long shadow and reflections it has cast.
As said, nice colourful shadows too.

Super colours and I like how you've captured the reflections.

especially the shadows/reflections

Thanks all for the comments I had a very powerful back light but only when it wasn't behind the clouds. I took them out into the garden for some nice natural light and was hoping for some nice colourful shadows had to stop a couple of times for clouds to pass as the pretty shadows where missing.

Last edited:
Good work on both fronts, Alison! I've only seen glass blowing once and it was fascinating. The colours and swirls in this glass are lovely, well done! Photographically, I like the way you've back-lit the glass and the long shadow and reflections it has cast.

Wow Alison I love them, you must be really proud. Super colours and I like how you've captured the reflections.

Those are lovely works of art - good that you put in effort to such good effect. Like the second best with the variety of shapes.

The glass blowing is really nice, and nicely photographed too.

Well done on both counts. The glass blowing looks brilliant and I love the images especially the shadows/reflections

Thank you for the lovely comments this was the second time I had such an experiance and I did have plenty of expert help but it was a great day and I am very proud of my results,

Oh I love the collection shot for effort minx......Gorgeous colour!
I'd love a go at that.
The flatter piece reminds me of the ceiling in the Belagio in Vegas!!

Thank you, I have looked up the ceiling and can see what you mean. As for having a go I thoroughly recommend it there are
many studios that offer one day courses bound to be one not too far away the one I went to was near Guilford.

excellent work with the glass blowing and well captured, you obviously have a talent for it

Hi Alison, they are excellent shots (and real works of art) for effort / glass blowing... well done.
The highlight on the rim works well and the coloured shadows from light pouring through work really well, too. Only wrinkle is the small wrinkle in the background on the collection shot but still, they're very good (y)

Liking the second Artificial image the best, better WB for sure. Personal is a nice image and a good achievement for you son. Really like the glass blowing photos for the Effort theme, good lighting and lovely colours

I like that, Alison (as I'm sure @LC2 will also!).

Only thing I'd do is adjust the horizon slightly, bring the left side up a touch and crop the passengers on the platform out. Shame one of the lights at the front isn't on / off too, does nothing for my OCD! :)

Hi. Technology of bygone times for sure; such powerful yet beautiful machines. Like the slightly unusual PoV.

Very nice Alison fits the theme for me (why didn't I think of that when I was on the Severn Valley the other week!

I do agree with Ian about cropping the left hand side slightly

Back