weekly Mr.Si's 52 Week Challenge - Final Photos Added

Congratulations to the Si Family and the new addition :clap:

Back to photo's....

Swirl - That's a great picture Simon, I think the noise on the green leaves could be lessened with a small adjustment to the luminance, the red of the rose looks very nice and silky, a smashing black background and an effective reflection - Nice One (y)

Hi all,

Again, thank you for all your comments.
Here's my week 12 photo. Well, actually I have 2 versions. I like them both so wanted to submit both.

Linked (by holy matrimony)

Linked 1

Linked 2

+1 with Judi, colours No 2 but composition No 1 but I'd prefer a little more DoF.

I might have one actually, as I tend to take loads and play with settings until I get something I like (I'm not great at knowing settings straight away)
I think I got the colours in number 2 by changing the WB from "Auto" to "Incandescent light bulb". So I could probably change the RAW file in the Darktable software to make it look more like the real yellow gold colour. I may do that tomorrow or at the weekend if I have time. It's a shame as the warmth of number 1's colours look nicer. :)

Thanks all for your comments.

Another thing I'd like to do is to not have a shallow DOF when using a macro filter (as I used here) but I suspect that would require lots of photos with different focus points and then stacking them in software, is that right?

Composition of the second is preference for me, along with the more goldy colour in that one.

Another thing I'd like to do is to not have a shallow DOF when using a macro filter (as I used here) but I suspect that would require lots of photos with different focus points and then stacking them in software, is that right?

Aperture still affects DOF, even with a filter on..... (AFAIK :)) these were both at f/4, which is quite wide open... giving shallow DOF. Suspect closing down towards f/16 could benefit you some. (Don;t go too far beyond this as diffraction will start to soften the images).

This will obv lengthen exposure time so tripod or solid platform needed.

Or resort to changing focus point / focal length and stacking a number of shots.. Harder than it looks.

Thanks Graham.
I did go to f/11 at one point with an exposure time of between 1 and 2 seconds, but I was afraid to go any further!

My final image I thought worked with the patience I had at the time!
Since I only have the pop-up flash (I can't decide which speedlite to get yet) which I used along with angle-able halogen ceiling spot lights to light the rings, I've taken to using a bit of milk bottle plastic to cover the flash at different angles to try and get a non-washed out looking shot. I think it worked alright.

I'll have a play with the aperture settings some more.

Time - nice shot of your newborn. Enjoy the peace and quiet too!

Swirl - really like this. Composition, colours and focus all work well.

#2 for me. I like to close perspective and interesting take on the theme.

Looks a little dark on my work's PC and I'd like the diamonds to be in focus with a wider DOF.

Cheers.

I'm afraid I'm with the majority Simon, a combination of the two images and more dof, good idea though, works well for the theme (y)

Hi, to shallow DoF for me but you already know that out of the 2 the second one works better

nice to see something other than steps. Good thinking.

Shame the little guy isn't walking yet, first step would have been a super one for the week. :naughty:

Feel it could be a tad brighter, or the shadows lifted a little. But (y) for sticking with the challenge with your other new challenge too.

Hi, nice thinking behind this for the theme, agree with graham about lifting the shadows but as you don't have much time you can be forgiven

Hi Simon :)

Step - My initial thought was it looks on the wonk, but closer inspection (I know... sad or what) the feet look level so does the horizontal wall/floor line, rambling on now, so back to the shot, nice original idea, good blacks and a nice touch of shine on the taps, glad to see your still getting some togging in too :)

Hi, Step, on theme and good detail.

Looks a little dark to me and I'd like to see a little movement, because that's what come to mind when I think about tapshoes.

Cheers.

Hi Simon

good to see a slightly different take on the theme , like the low angle , mono works well , agree with Andy about a little more movement & possibly lightning a smidge (y)

Hi all, here's my Natural/Nature entry for week 14.

I have wanted some decent shots of my cat for a while, so had a go this Saturday. The backgrounds aren't brilliant, but I was happy with these and decided to mosaic them together.

NaturalBehaviour by Mr_Si, on Flickr

And, because I am unlikely to submit on time for this week, here is my Action shot for Week 15 (my first attempt, late last year at light trails).

LightTrails1 by Mr_Si, on Flickr

Great job with the cat pics - super low POV - great eye contact - lovely shallow DOF.... shame about a couple of distraction in the BG (car mainly). But nice presentation.

Not really feeling the light trails though. Think it's that the headlights start from nowhere, and normally I like starbursts but find these a but overpowering.

Back