Daily MWHCVT(Matt's) Challenge 366 - 2012 - Part Deux

Dark Knight said:
Lemsip is the answer... always does the trick for me :)

vince31 said:
A large dram of whiskey !! Ballatines Finest(y)

Both sound like a fine idea (y) I feel a hot toddy coming on (y)

Day 286 - Milkyway Time

It sort of really makes you feel some and insignigicant when your stood there trigger in hand taking a photo of this spectacular view, here you see the much photographed windmill, yeah it has been seen dozens of times in my challenge, but never quite like this...this is my first ever photo of the Milkyway

286/366 (651) by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Matt
MWHCVT

Once again a very nice shot !

Thanks Vince :D

Fab Matt, a little darker and we would see it more pronounced (y) but still fab

Cheers Dave, I've got one with a little shorter exposure so will have a play with that later :D just still riding a bit of a high at the moment :D

Matt...even on my phone my jaw dropped seeing the milky way shot. Yes a little darker. And maybe missing that light on the lhs ..but its caught my eye. The tones in the transition across the horizon is great. Well done.

Cheffievrs said:
That's turned out really nice Matt, what time was you up there..?

Cheers Jason, I guess it would have been about 9/9:30 ish I'd have to check the exif to be totally sure ;)

SamuelSlade007 said:
Matt...even on my phone my jaw dropped seeing the milky way shot. Yes a little darker. And maybe missing that light on the lhs ..but its caught my eye. The tones in the transition across the horizon is great. Well done.

Thanks a lot Kev, totally agree a touch darker and without the lights of the services that would make it epic :D

Matt

Maybe a different angle to eliminate the services, however like it, good work :)

Trouble was I couldn't find my torch in the car so I walked about as far into the field as I was happy to in the pitch black ;) If you went further into the field it might put the services right behind the windmill that could actually look rather good I think :D

Day 287 - Range? or is it....

Does anyone really trust the range your car says you have left to travel?

I thought I would do another in car photo, since the car seemed to be supporting me :D this time I remember to clean the plastic before the shot :D

287/366 (652) by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Matt
MWHCVT

Day 288 - A Dream or A Nightmare....

I'm still undecided which of these this photo falls into :thinking: it took nearly an hour to take this photo well photo's this is made up of six frames in a 2 high x 3 across panorama, the reason that it took an hour to shoot a total of 90 seconds of exposures, well that that was because it had to be restarted a few times, why...because of a very friendly horse, that as soon as we arrived came trotting over to the fence next to where we parked, and when we (Darrell and myself) were in the field darrell went of to get his photo but the horse decided it wanted to stop with me :shake: and kept on trying to eat different combinations of me, my camera, my tripod, or my TP Strap :bang: that or stand in front of the camera and by this I mean 3 inches from the front element, where it turned it's head a few times knocking the camera :shrug:

288/366 (653) by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Now we get home and the woes continue, do you think that the stitching software wanted to merge the frames into a single image? that would be a negative, so I've been pulling my hair out all afternoon working on a manually merged panorama

So Dream, nightmare I'm still not sure :cool:

Matt
MWHCVT

Last edited:
Day 289 - Fuzzy Ideas...

...It's macro monday again :D In the spirit of my POTD challenge today, without reading any guides or seeking advise I thought I would try and learn focus stacking, maybe in hind sight I should have sought assistance as this is far from perfect, there are a few soft areas over all I'm happy with the out come as I can see things that I would already do differently, but that was the reason to start this challenge, it was to learn new things :D

289/366 (654) by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Matt
MWHCVT

Matt I can't comment on the last 2 Techniques because I haven't personally tried them.

But the old saying goes ""Try and Try again until succesful"" We all improve on our mistakes.

Matt I can't comment on the last 2 Techniques because I haven't personally tried them.

But the old saying goes ""Try and Try again until succesful"" We all improve on our mistakes.

Indeed I'll try anything :D I've done plenty of panoramas but never a 100% manual one before :eek: and focus stacking was totally new to me :eek:

Day 290 - Star Fail

I was looking out the window and noticed that it was clear so I thought that I'd do a tree line star trail, in the end thought it was a bit of a failure as mother nature was not in the mood tonight :(

This is about 5 minutes @ f/4 ISO2500 split into 15 second exposures stacked using StarStaX

290/366 (655) by mwhcvt, on Flickr

and then the video of the failure that I actually quite like :D

[YOUTUBE]f8NrEypss-U[/YOUTUBE]

Matt
MWHCVT

Day 291 - Hello old Friend...

...It's a long time since I've done a sunset at the windmill so because I had a little bit of spare time, and because I couldn't think of anywhere I'd rather go this evening I pottered off down to the windmill for a little bit of long exposure fun :D

291/366 (656) by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Matt
MWHCVT

Grand location , great compostion , breath taking colour , my cup of tea.........superb Matt

Cheers Vince, the windmill is always good to me :D it's funny it was is my view the perfect light up there today and there was no other photographers there to be seen :shrug: yet I've sat up there and watched loads of photographers scurrying around there in not very nice light :LOL: :LOL:

Day 292 - Weather Blues

I having watched the forecast all day I was convinced that we were going to have a nice clear evening tonight so it was my intention to go back to the windmill to do a star trail of the angle with the milky way, but rather than clear up it actually started to rain :bang:

So I wend for a bit of a abstract macro of a recent addition to my toy box :D

292/366 (657) by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Matt
MWHCVT

After posting my abstract 292 I see you have also gone abstract with yours!
That's quite a bizarre coincidence really. Great minds an' all that ......

Anyway, the windmill never fails to inspire a grand shot and the blue tube is neat to say the least!

After posting my abstract 292 I see you have also gone abstract with yours!
That's quite a bizarre coincidence really. Great minds an' all that ......

Anyway, the windmill never fails to inspire a grand shot and the blue tube is neat to say the least!

Indeed great minds and all the windmill is a great location for me, it's so close and I now only go there in the best of light :D

What was the latest edtion to your toy box Matt?

3 lengths of EL Wire with battery packs ready for a bit of light painting, this is obviously the blue, I also have a red/orange and lime green :D

Day 293 - Named at at last....

...not that he's bothered ;)

From this day forward he will be known as Ted 'Wirewool' Nelson and was he bothered, no because the rugger was on do he wouldn't even turn towards the camera the suborn git

293/366 (658) by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Matt
MWHCVT

Day 294 - Time and Motion

Always keen to try something new and still trying to learn about layers and dodge/burn etc this is a photo that I have made with no fewer than 7 exposures that I shot this evening, an exposure for the sky, one for the trees and embankments and then five for the different traffic areas

This really shows that even as the sun is setting on what ended up a fine Saturday there is still a lot of people out at work keeping the country stocked with everything from apples to light bulbs

294/366 (659) by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Matt
MWHCVT

Back