weekly My first TP 52 challenge 2014- Week 13- 31 added

Ending is a delightful shot.

The picture of the watch, meh, not so much. It's a picture of an old, scratched Casio watch and I'm afraid it does nothing for me.

Again though, I love the Ending shot.

Ending is a delightful shot.

The picture of the watch, meh, not so much. It's a picture of an old, scratched Casio watch and I'm afraid it does nothing for me.

Again though, I love the Ending shot.
Thank you for your comments :)

Ending - nice sunset and I like the interesting shapes silhouetted in the foreground.

Watch - it's simple and on theme.

Sense - Good image and on theme. Well executed (y)

Ending - Really nice image you've really captured the colours in the sky well with the silhouetted foreground (y)

Time - On theme but not a huge fan. A bit more interest is needed and the shadow is a bit harsh.

Sense - Good image and on theme. Well executed (y)

Ending - Really nice image you've really captured the colours in the sky well with the silhouetted foreground (y)

Time - On theme but not a huge fan. A bit more interest is needed and the shadow is a bit harsh.
Thank you :)

I love the composition of the ending shot some nice colours in the sky. Sadly the watch shot doesn't excite me the scratch is annoying slightly but it does fit the theme.

Ending - A nice sunset. I wondering whether cropping the bottom making it into a letterbox shape would work here although that said the foreground does add interest

Time - The scratch has been mentioned (probably easy to PP it out) and I find the strong shadow works with the effect you look like you've tried to achieve. There's a few strange pixels showing up on the very right edge of the image though (again easy to pp out)

Nice colours on ending and a good silhouette. I like the lighting on Time and the shadow, I don't mind the scratch but the OOF near corner of the watch draws my attention.

Ending - A nice sunset. I wondering whether cropping the bottom making it into a letterbox shape would work here although that said the foreground does add interest

Time - The scratch has been mentioned (probably easy to PP it out) and I find the strong shadow works with the effect you look like you've tried to achieve. There's a few strange pixels showing up on the very right edge of the image though (again easy to pp out)
Thank you both. The focus is something I'll look out for next time :)

Nice colours on ending and a good silhouette. I like the lighting on Time and the shadow, I don't mind the scratch but the OOF near corner of the watch draws my attention.

Hi James

Ending...lovely muted sunset colors (y) only niggle would be the very small spot of lighter blue( like a bit of a glare) just to the lhs of the sun reflection under the smooth bit of water....does that make sense ?

Time....on theme though cropped a little tight for me....scratches don't worry me...it's an older watch so they show it's been around for some time ,shadow works in this instance but the bg seems to have greyish stripes running through it ?

Hi James

Ending...lovely muted sunset colors (y) only niggle would be the very small spot of lighter blue( like a bit of a glare) just to the lhs of the sun reflection under the smooth bit of water....does that make sense ?

Time....on theme though cropped a little tight for me....scratches don't worry me...it's an older watch so they show it's been around for some time ,shadow works in this instance but the bg seems to have greyish stripes running through it ?
I did notice the stripes and tried to get rid of it. Thanks for your comments

Well done trying to get back in it...

Can;t help but feel a bit of a cheat going on using the same setup for all three - but if it gets you up-to-date, ;)

I think the shadows on these three have worked out well (natural window light?).. Good use of DOF to draw attention to the plus key - nice thinking there. (y)

Just looked on flickr at the swirly one, feeling DOF is too shallow here, you have the same settings for all three shots :), shallow DOF is good, used appropriately, but feel you need more on these last 2.

Well done trying to get back in it...

Can;t help but feel a bit of a cheat going on using the same setup for all three - but if it gets you up-to-date, ;)

I think the shadows on these three have worked out well (natural window light?).. Good use of DOF to draw attention to the plus key - nice thinking there. (y)

Just looked on flickr at the swirly one, feeling DOF is too shallow here, you have the same settings for all three shots :), shallow DOF is good, used appropriately, but feel you need more on these last 2.
Thanks for your comments. Been bogged down with exams and revision so had to be quick. Only two months till theyre over though. *sighs* All done with window light. Will probably use these themes for any reshoot weeks!

Hi James well done on your catch up,
positive... nice one fits the theme well, good dof (y)
swirl... it has swirls :)
Linked... Like Graham I feel too many on the same set up but it works:)
Cheers will be more inventive for the others

HI James

well done on your catch up , hope the exams are going well :)

Positive......good position /angle in the frame , maybe a little too tight at the top though oddly the clipped lower corner isn't bugging me :) There's something odd happening at the top as well..have you tried cloning something out ?

Linked....like the focus & the light shadow , not so keen on the really bright area around the lhs of the watch face

Twirl.....the weakest of the 3 for me....a little too dark to see the detail in the leaf.seed head ?

HI James

well done on your catch up , hope the exams are going well :)

Positive......good position /angle in the frame , maybe a little too tight at the top though oddly the clipped lower corner isn't bugging me :) There's something odd happening at the top as well..have you tried cloning something out ?

Linked....like the focus & the light shadow , not so keen on the really bright area around the lhs of the watch face

Twirl.....the weakest of the 3 for me....a little too dark to see the detail in the leaf.seed head ?
A good catch up from you.
Thanks both

Positive - Good use of a shallow DoF to bring the eye to the + sign

Swirl - Composition on this on is nice. Just needs a little more light (not too much mind) to bring out the detail in dome of the darker areas of the subject

Linked - Certainly shows linked although the blown highlight on the left distracts a little

Well well well, its been a while!!!! I have recently been through a period of little motivation but im back and keen to get back into my photography once again as it is something I love to do!
To catch up im just going to post shots that fill the gaps, whether old or new!

Week 13- step
Russel square fountain by Planetjamez, on Flickr

Week 14- Nature
Seagull eating a crab- Edited by Planetjamez, on Flickr

Week 15- Action
Red arrows 1 by Planetjamez, on Flickr

Week 16- Mono
Street photography in covent garden by Planetjamez, on Flickr

Week 17- Twisted
London eye by Planetjamez, on Flickr

Week 18- Fresh

Week 19- Shape (I loved the shapes in the bridge)
Waterloo bridge by Planetjamez, on Flickr

Week 20- reshoot- time
Houses of parliment from the london eye by Planetjamez, on Flickr

Week 21- Strong
Looking stormy on sandbanks by Planetjamez, on Flickr

Week 22- Texture
Rusty pole by Planetjamez, on Flickr

Week 23- Wild
Stag at Arne by Planetjamez, on Flickr

Week 24- Dream
Scott portraits by Planetjamez, on Flickr

Week 25- Vertical
Neuville St-Vaast german cemetery by Planetjamez, on Flickr

Week 26- Yum (who doesnt love chilli?)
Slow shutter chilli plant by Planetjamez, on Flickr

Week 27- Loud

Wow... that is some catch up! I'll work through this in batches otherwise I'll be here all day... ;)

Week 13- step: Good conversion in a style I like (high contrast). Nice freezing of the fountain. Only crit is the people who are walking are walking out of the frame. If it intended so as to create tension, then it's worked but I would find the scene more natural if the guy, in particular, was walking through the frame into some space on the right. Good capture though.

Week 14- Nature: Super catch of the horrible gull about to eat a poor little crab. I think your balance between land and water is interesting (being almost 50/50) - I might have been tempted to increase the amount of water a bit more. Placement is good although might feel more natural if the gull is further down in the frame? Exposure and saturation good for me.

Week 15- Action: That's a belter. You've really brought the colours to life in both the trails and the sky. Placement of the planes is a bit unconventional, with the cloud balancing the frame rather than bringing the planes further down so the trails represent the majority of the picture. It's a cracking take though and very well developed.

Week 16- Mono: Interesting scene with lots going on... almost too much as I'm not sure what I should be looking at! Definitely high intensity "street"... In full screen is looks quite grainy - not sure if that's the effect or a consequence of high ISO?

Week 17- Twisted: Really nice take. I find it really well balanced with the obvious weight of the wheel pulling the image down and the strength of the supporting members holding it back up. Nice cloud detail behind. Top notch shot for me, but... why is it twisted, other than the supports don't go perfectly to the corners?

Week 18- Fresh: Another busy street shot but I find this one easier to find focus. Not sure the plastic wrap at the bottom of frame is helping. I'd probably like to see more of the food visible, but it's a neat take.

Week 19- Shape (I loved the shapes in the bridge): I agree with you, it's a fascinating shape, all the way back to the supports on the embankment. Nice conversion, although you could perhaps have pushed the highlights a bit higher? Only crit is it looks a touch wonky, perhaps a smidge of CCW rotation? Good shot and a great eye to spot it.

Hi, quick catch up, I'm afraid, of the set it's Half for me. I really like the perspective and it's very well composed the good symmetry.

Looks a little dark on my iPad, that said it works for me

Cheers.

I like ... Week 24- Dream ... never thought you could get away with cropping a foot off ... but yes.

Week 30- Half ... excellent but half??

Wow... that is some catch up! I'll work through this in batches otherwise I'll be here all day... ;)

Week 13- step: Good conversion in a style I like (high contrast). Nice freezing of the fountain. Only crit is the people who are walking are walking out of the frame. If it intended so as to create tension, then it's worked but I would find the scene more natural if the guy, in particular, was walking through the frame into some space on the right. Good capture though.

Week 14- Nature: Super catch of the horrible gull about to eat a poor little crab. I think your balance between land and water is interesting (being almost 50/50) - I might have been tempted to increase the amount of water a bit more. Placement is good although might feel more natural if the gull is further down in the frame? Exposure and saturation good for me.

Week 15- Action: That's a belter. You've really brought the colours to life in both the trails and the sky. Placement of the planes is a bit unconventional, with the cloud balancing the frame rather than bringing the planes further down so the trails represent the majority of the picture. It's a cracking take though and very well developed.

Week 16- Mono: Interesting scene with lots going on... almost too much as I'm not sure what I should be looking at! Definitely high intensity "street"... In full screen is looks quite grainy - not sure if that's the effect or a consequence of high ISO?

Week 17- Twisted: Really nice take. I find it really well balanced with the obvious weight of the wheel pulling the image down and the strength of the supporting members holding it back up. Nice cloud detail behind. Top notch shot for me, but... why is it twisted, other than the supports don't go perfectly to the corners?

Week 18- Fresh: Another busy street shot but I find this one easier to find focus. Not sure the plastic wrap at the bottom of frame is helping. I'd probably like to see more of the food visible, but it's a neat take.

Week 19- Shape (I loved the shapes in the bridge): I agree with you, it's a fascinating shape, all the way back to the supports on the embankment. Nice conversion, although you could perhaps have pushed the highlights a bit higher? Only crit is it looks a touch wonky, perhaps a smidge of CCW rotation? Good shot and a great eye to spot it.

Thank you so much for your comments! I chose that image because the london eye turns (twists) I 'twisted' the theme ;)
In mono it was quite grainy due to the higher ISO, it was quite dark in the market!

Hi, quick catch up, I'm afraid, of the set it's Half for me. I really like the perspective and it's very well composed the good symmetry.

Looks a little dark on my iPad, that said it works for me

Cheers.
I like ... Week 24- Dream ... never thought you could get away with cropping a foot off ... but yes.

Week 30- Half ... excellent but half??

Thank you both! I chose half because there was much more below!

I'll catch up with your next batch now...

Week 20- reshoot- time: super detail of parliament and big ben - looks very slightly underexposed for the buildings but sky is spot on, exposure-wise. The sky does, however, look a touch pixellated top right - not sure if you recovered some blown highlights (which now aren't?

Week 21- Strong: on theme but not grabbing me. Horizon police might want a tiny word, but maybe not ;)

Week 22- Texture: what a cracker. I really like this, your exposure and your DOF choice. Brilliant shot.

Week 23- Wild: looks underexposed for shadow detail to me, but an ok take. Would prefer the hooves to be visible.

Week 24- Dream: really like this, just a sliver of window (is he dreaming of being outside, or someone standing out of frame in his direction of gaze?)... even the light switch, fire alarm etc. just add to it. Stonking shot for me.

Week 25- Vertical: interesting and a nice hazy shot but not as compelling as others.

Week 26- Yum (who doesnt love chilli?): really nice effect and something different. Fun! Great colours (saturation is perfect on my monitor) and nice close shot. Top.

Week 27- Loud: familiar scene and similar conversion to one in the last batch - decent take, but not as exciting as some of your others. Works though.

I'll catch up with your next batch now...

Week 20- reshoot- time: super detail of parliament and big ben - looks very slightly underexposed for the buildings but sky is spot on, exposure-wise. The sky does, however, look a touch pixellated top right - not sure if you recovered some blown highlights (which now aren't?

Week 21- Strong: on theme but not grabbing me. Horizon police might want a tiny word, but maybe not ;)

Week 22- Texture: what a cracker. I really like this, your exposure and your DOF choice. Brilliant shot.

Week 23- Wild: looks underexposed for shadow detail to me, but an ok take. Would prefer the hooves to be visible.

Week 24- Dream: really like this, just a sliver of window (is he dreaming of being outside, or someone standing out of frame in his direction of gaze?)... even the light switch, fire alarm etc. just add to it. Stonking shot for me.

Week 25- Vertical: interesting and a nice hazy shot but not as compelling as others.

Week 26- Yum (who doesnt love chilli?): really nice effect and something different. Fun! Great colours (saturation is perfect on my monitor) and nice close shot. Top.

Week 27- Loud: familiar scene and similar conversion to one in the last batch - decent take, but not as exciting as some of your others. Works though.

Thank you so much for the comments!

Some cracking shots James, well done on the big catch up! Ones that really stand out for me -

Twisted - a very original perspective on a much-photographed landmark. The mono conversion suits it well and I love the dramatic sky. Somehow the clouds remind me of a fluffy white kitten with the spokes as whiskers - but maybe that's just my twisted mind o_O

Texture - two good textures in one and all the better for the stark contrast between them.

Wild - perhaps could do with a tad more light on the subject and getting rid of the barbed wire, but I'm a sucker for deer so that gets a big (y) from me.

Half - another unusual perspective with a great looking sky and the colours just seem to go together somehow ;)

Architectural - glass buildings are another of my favourite subjects and you've caught the reflections in this one really well.

Some cracking shots James, well done on the big catch up! Ones that really stand out for me -

Twisted - a very original perspective on a much-photographed landmark. The mono conversion suits it well and I love the dramatic sky. Somehow the clouds remind me of a fluffy white kitten with the spokes as whiskers - but maybe that's just my twisted mind o_O

Texture - two good textures in one and all the better for the stark contrast between them.

Wild - perhaps could do with a tad more light on the subject and getting rid of the barbed wire, but I'm a sucker for deer so that gets a big (y) from me.

Half - another unusual perspective with a great looking sky and the colours just seem to go together somehow ;)

Architectural - glass buildings are another of my favourite subjects and you've caught the reflections in this one really well.
Thank you very much :)

Hi James

jeez....that's a catch up n a half !

I 'll comment on t e few that really stand out to me

Nature...love the low pov, that you caught the bird with dinner & the angle of the shore line...only viewing small so can't really tell if totally sharp

Action....love images of the Arrows...perfect blue sky ,the small amount of cloud works & the smoke trails really pop (y)

Twisted.....great pov, seems perfectly sharp & mono works well (y) Not quite symmetrical but suspect that's more the subject than your

Shape....like the underside view of the bridge but needs a slight ccw rotation..

Wild....clone the barbed wire out , lift the shadows & boost the colors a smidge...shame you missed the bottom of his

Half....love the POV ,the splash of read against the blue sky :) needs cropping a smidge from the rhs to make it perfectly central

Hi James

jeez....that's a catch up n a half !

I 'll comment on t e few that really stand out to me

Nature...love the low pov, that you caught the bird with dinner & the angle of the shore line...only viewing small so can't really tell if totally sharp

Action....love images of the Arrows...perfect blue sky ,the small amount of cloud works & the smoke trails really pop (y)

Twisted.....great pov, seems perfectly sharp & mono works well (y) Not quite symmetrical but suspect that's more the subject than your

Shape....like the underside view of the bridge but needs a slight ccw rotation..

Wild....clone the barbed wire out , lift the shadows & boost the colors a smidge...shame you missed the bottom of his

Half....love the POV ,the splash of read against the blue sky :) needs cropping a smidge from the rhs to make it perfectly central
Thank you very much!

Back