weekly Naka's 52 for 2016: Week 17 - Rough

SIRCH, is it the dullness (lack of colour) that makes it lack punch?

Hmm, interesting question, not necessarily colour although that would do it, a nice smooth plum or apple in the basket might be a nice juxtaposition. But equally well you have just caught a bit of the reflection in the smooth worktop, perhaps more of that with a touch more contrast and saturation?

Hmm, interesting question, not necessarily colour although that would do it, a nice smooth plum or apple in the basket might be a nice juxtaposition. But equally well you have just caught a bit of the reflection in the smooth worktop, perhaps more of that with a touch more contrast and saturation?
Ah, see what you mean. Thanks for taking time to answer.

Spot on for the theme definitely. Nicely composed with that partial take of the wicker basket and the texture is fabulous. :clap:

Thank you Carl and Steve. I didn't consider a tighter crop because it would have cut off a little of the top of the basket.

Hi Naka

Vast - definitely does it. And keeps you up with the themes!

Rough - I do like this and the composition and light work really well here. Good shot :)

The background could be slightly distracting with the vertical line but I only notice it when I go looking for it, if you know what I mean...

Sorry for the late reply Paul, been away from the forum a long time! Yes I do know what you mean. And thank you [emoji4]

Hi Naka

Technology - very good idea for the theme, like it a lot
Horizontal - l keyboard for me, like that better because it is more interesting.
Vast - perfect for the theme. Love the shapes clouds can make.
Rough - cool idea and well taken, I like the framing of this photo

Thank you Lee.
#Dark Knight is it the section to the back left that you're not sure on? Thank you for looking.

I've fallen behind A LOT! Life got in the way - study and long days due to difficult school runs. The latter has eased up TREMENDOUSLY so I'm hoping to be able to catch up soon. In the meantime here's weeks 18 and 19 - covered (not great to be honest) and colourful.

Covered
27568760071_94bc8ea253_z.jpg

Colourful
27543082242_0510fc11e5_c.jpg

Covered ticks the box but I love your colourful, those pencils are great against the coloured in background, nice use of DoF, I think it really connects with the theme

Hey… long time no see, Nada!
May I suggest:

Colourfulpp.jpg

Hey Naka :)

Covered - And far away in the land of nod by the looks of it :) just where I hope to be in ten minutes :D

Colourful - I like this, nicely laid out and a real nice set of pencils too, my wife would love them, I'm glad you included a coloured in page too, nice photo (y)

Hi Naka. Good to see you back. Covered is fine - needed to be subdued lighting to go with the subject, would look wrong any other way. As for Colourful, looks a very therapeutic pastime. Nicely taken with the DoF and beautifully colourful.

Hi Naka welcome back.

Well done on catching up I love you image for covered but for me colourful top it lovely vivid image

Hi Naka

Covered - the composition isn't doing it for me. I'd prefer to see more face or perhaps from a different angle? I'd be tempted to use a bit more tonal variation as well, either lighter clothes or more light on the face just to give that separation which is missing?

Colourful works really well though and the low angle works in this instance. Nicely done (y)

Hi @Naka.

Covered - As you say, not the greatest shot but sometimes we have to post and be damned.
Maybe try to recover the shadows a bit in post?

Colourful - Works nicely for me, plenty of colour. Only comment would be I would have tried to get the sharp focus on the pencils outside the box, rather than those in it, but that's just personal preference.

Thank you Susie. I'm not sure how much longer I can hang on though! Life is busy with other things at the moment that I haven't taken my camera out the bag in a long while now!

Thank you everyone for the replies. And forgive my delay in replying. Life is busy right now with study and family life. Unfortunately I don't know if I will be able to continue with the challenge. I've fallen very far behind and not sure when I can truthfully say I will catch up. :(

Last edited:
Covered - A different angle showing a bit more face would have been better for me but it still has a cute factor
Colour - great POV and I like the inclusion of the colouring in, someone has been busy.

"covered" might have been better if you'd chosen a different point of view, but I like "colourful". Great low perspective, and the photo is very colourful!

Back