weekly Nat's 52 - 2014 - I'm out

Hi Nathalie, sorry I've not been here before now. Welcome back to the 52's :)

Loving the little flowers, fresh and colourful and hopefully a sign the weather may finally improve over there.

Blue sky again on the rocks, like the birdy ears. Not sure on the composition but like you say it's difficult when it's busy.

Had to look for the 2nd image for Sense and prefer it overall although i agree that the 1st is more Spring like. A little tiding up i.e. dead leaves before or in PP though.

Can only see one image for Mineral so a bit confused there. Nice Sky I'd maybe have removed the birds as they don't really add anything for me.

Had to look for the 2nd image for Sense and prefer it overall although i agree that the 1st is more Spring like. A little tiding up i.e. dead leaves before or in PP though.

Can only see one image for Mineral so a bit confused there. Nice Sky I'd maybe have removed the birds as they don't really add anything for me.
Yup, leaves should have been removed prior to shooting (didn't notice until it was too late). I personally can't remove them in PP and make it look natural as there's too many, and they are too large.

I removed the 2nd images because I wasn't looking for comparative crit -- I just wanted crit on the MAIN image. I had already made my choice as to which I was keeping. Too many people were going 'I prefer photo number...'

Hi Nathalie , hope you have a great holiday (y)

Post & be dammed .....tis a good way to go sometimes .

Right - Tomorrow, I am headed off a much needed and long awaited holiday. My next two entries should hopefully be from Portugal. :cool:
Have a good time and hope for good light

Sense - liking the crocus shot - good colours and like the letter box approach. Nice to see a field of tight buds rather than the more usual open flowers - more redolent of the expectation of spring

Mineral - on theme but lighting is a bit flat i feel - prob cos you coud not choose your tiem with many peiople about. Looks a bit soft too :thinking: Inclusion of the birds to give scale is good idea, altho not much detail in them and the one flying I find distracting.

That is a big chunk of mineral, spot on theme but as mentioned the lighting is a little flat and doesn't do the image any favours.

Back in the UK again - unfortunately! I think it was 3 degrees when we landed in Manchester last night. Ugh.

I did try to look for things to fit the themes (Ending and Positive) while I was on holiday, but it's really hard when you can't camp in a certain spot for an hour to get the shot you want. Positive would have been in the bag if I'd managed to get a place in the front for the carnival, but I was stuck three rows back and literally everyone infront was holding their little compacts above their heads making it almost impossible for me to get any shots at all. My only chance was the floats, but even then peoples' heads were in the way and the light was abysmal. I will probably use one of them anyway, simply because it's all I've got. Ending I've got a few options for, though not sure any are obvious for the theme.

9/52 - Positive
by C Fredriksson, on Flickr

I struggled to find one photo that on its own was enough to show just how much I enjoyed my recent holiday, so I tried a collage instead. For me, this is better, but it really only works for the theme if you know that I love flowers, nature in general and the great outdoors.

Edit: new version uploaded 08 March.

Last edited:
I struggled to find one photo that on its own was enough to show just how much I enjoyed my recent holiday, so I tried a collage instead. For me, this is better, but it really only works for the theme if you know that I love flowers, nature in general and the great outdoors.

We do now. Nice idea.

Great idea Nat, I like it (y) Madeira looks a lovely place :) ( I looked on flickr ;))

lovely set and well arranged too. The 2 orange ones (centre and bottom centre look great).

If it makes you feel positive it must be on theme :)
Good set of images there.

Some good shots in there - my only minor niggle is that the seascape bottom right jars a bit against the land based nature of the others
I wanted a bit of variety, plus of course it is an island, but I do agree with you. Hmmmm. Might do an edit later if I can find something that works (the format being the biggest issue here).

8/52 - Ending
by C Fredriksson, on Flickr

Edited to add: shoehorn entry for sure, the idea being that the spider would be the end of me (see below).

I am terrified of spiders. The larger the spider, the bigger the fear. This was about 5 cm, which is by no means big, but still big enough for me to shudder at the mere sight of it... I leaned in to take the photo, then immediately backed away, so it is very much a quick snap... I wish there'd been a bit more depth of field (spider + web) and I find the background a little distracting.

Last edited:
Hi Nathalie

Hope you had a fab holiday (y)

Love the montage....the orange flower at the bottom is wonderful....fab DOF (y)

Ending....struggling to see the connection to the theme ( but hey , I'm blonde ! ) That is one serious bad looking dude , like the angle , looks sharp enough, good use of DOF :)

Hi, with blondie about the connection to the theme, nice spider though and you know about the BG I would possibly crop some off the top too

Hi, with blondie about the connection to the theme
Ending....struggling to see the connection to the theme ( but hey , I'm blonde ! )
You're not being blonde -- it is a shoehorn entry for sure, the idea being that the spider would be the end of me (figuratively speaking) because of my intense and irrational fear of it. It is quite far-fetched, I know.

Love spiders, love pictures of spiders. I had house spider who posed for me for about ten minutes before legging, legging,legging, etc , it. House spiders seem to be covered in rubbish when photographed close up. Nice pic, doesn't fit the theme though IMHO.

Hey Nathalie, love the collage, some beautiful photos in there. It could be a postcard for which ever island you visited :)

The spider, yup, just a slight shoehorn there, but considering your phobia I totally get it. I have issues with cockroaches and I can assure you I would NOT get close enough to photograph it! They also generally die as soon as they come anywhere near me!

Have you decided to pull out of this 52? Your thread title suggests so?

Hey Nathalie, love the collage, some beautiful photos in there. It could be a postcard for which ever island you visited :)

The spider, yup, just a slight shoehorn there, but considering your phobia I totally get it. I have issues with cockroaches and I can assure you I would NOT get close enough to photograph it! They also generally die as soon as they come anywhere near me!

Have you decided to pull out of this 52? Your thread title suggests so?
I'm going to carry on but independently and I won't be posting the photos here.

Back