weekly nickbee's 52 2016: week 19 - Colourful

Hi nice idea and the graphicsgold bit of some great contrast, nice detail. I would like to see it cropped a little tighter but good first post.

Cheers

Week Two: Captive

Last week I left this all too late and the good ideas were gone early, so this time I'm getting in there first with the obvious Jelly Baby kidnapping shot.

Jelly Baby by nickbrotherston, on Flickr

Disclaimer: The version of this I originally posted contained text but I have subsequently changed my mind on it. The original is here.

When you look at this can you see the shadow looming on the far wall? It's clear as day on my laptop, totally invisible on my ipad.

Last edited:
Wow, Nick.....I love your OLD and METAL shots...setting a pretty high bar!
I like your CAPTIVE shot, but I'd like it more without the text.
The image itself conveys the theme nicely.

Gotta say I agree with Viv just because I think it would credit your composition a more. Still a really nice addition to your already extremely strong start with the 52's.

Good luck with completing your 52s, I'll definitely be making a weekly visit here;)
Oscar

I like your CAPTIVE shot, but I'd like it more without the text. The image itself conveys the theme nicely.
Gotta say I agree with Viv just because I think it would credit your composition a more.

Ever since I posted the wordy version I've been wishing I hadn't and this confirms it. It's not a writing challenge. The trouble is I find myself too funny! Thanks for the advice - I've posted the clean version.

@Brian_of_Bozeat @Toothie @CliveNX Thanks very much (y)

Ever since I posted the wordy version I've been wishing I hadn't and this confirms it. It's not a writing challenge. The trouble is I find myself too funny! Thanks for the advice - I've posted the clean version.

@Brian_of_Bozeat @Toothie @CliveNX Thanks very much (y)

The clean version....Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

The clean version....Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Yeah, didn't think I'd comment originally but this is my exact same reaction when I saw the clean version made me mutter "awesome" looking at my screen.

Keep at it, I need to shoot my "Old" and "Captivated",
Oscar

Hi Nick ....I love it :) a super fun idea, really nicely done, I can see the shadow on my iPad but only when I follow your Flickr link.

It was obvious from your first post that you are a bit of a wordsmith, I rather enjoyed the words, but agree for the topic it works best without.

What is the ransom, well thought out, as you say BG bit distracting, two minute in pp would fix, love the ideas coming out of this thread:)

That's the thing - there's supposed to be a shadow, it's quite important to the image! I've upped the brightness a bit within flickr but I might need to go back and do it properly. Thanks for the nice comments though - and to @alsjazzera @susiejb and @Jon.P.73 as well.

Hello and welcome Nick

love the Old books, and the lovely Old shelf too, as featured in the reshoot.

Metal ... nice work! Clean, good detail, and the drill bit lying in the frame like that tops it.

orange Captive ... :clap: ... what fun! This is the kind of stuff that makes the 52s

... looking forward to more. (y)

Last edited:
When you look at this can you see the shadow looming on the far wall?
I can see it clearly on my monitor.
Excellent idea for the theme Nick (y)

Hi Nick Great shot on captive I love that there is only a little light on the subject Lets your imagination run wiled, the great thing about this picture is you have the teddy’s hands tied behind its back loll. Excellent.. :clap:

Hello Nick, superb image and a great idea for the theme. I like the darkness, a feeling of a glimmer of hope from the sunlight shinning through a crack in some boarded up window., Quality

That's a neat idea - shame on the jelly bean being banged up like that but, as the saying goes, needs must if @Cobra drives. Nicely thought out and great take.

Only just realised I haven't commented on this, saw it last week and it really stood out as a great shot. The shadow is a great addition but on my screen is just a bit dark (probably my calibration though).

Old - I like the first shot best
metal - I like the twists and shavings
captive - great shot and better without the writing

Week 3: Miniature

I struggled to get the background properly white without overexposing the bird and/or causing horrendous purple fringing. Ran a 'script' (get me) to reduce the fringing in PP and just about got away with it, I think. I don't know much about processing so tips would be appreciated ("get Photoshop" would be the first, I suppose).

I originally shot a 1:43 racing car and whilst it was a relatively simple photo, I really liked it. Then I had this idea and because it's is obviously more unique, I went with this instead. I'm keeping the car shot in reserve in case I can use it for another topic later down the line

Hi, its a nice idea and obviously fitting for the theme, maybe cloning out the twig and chain would add a little something to it

Hi Nick. Great idea - love the colours. The plain white bg looks good to me .. can relate to fringing but haven't a clue about what or how to run a "script". Very nicely taken.

Yup - background looks good to me! Interesting interpretation on the theme and a well put together shot. I liked the twig and chain - slightly surreal! Running scripts? Coronation Street?

'Miniature' looks good to me, as above, why not try and clone out the branch and chain, may make it even better (I'm sure there is a script for it)

Thanks @alsjazzera @Carl Ayling @Richard Miller @susiejb @Longimanus (and @minx for the comment on Captive!).

I tried cloning out the branch after the first suggestion. Thanks for the suggestion. It certainly makes for a striking image but I think it takes away the visual and conceptual connection between the bird and plant. It's neither better nor worse, but the feel is different.

Incidentally 'Scripts' are some sort of add-on for the free image manipulation program I use, called GIMP (@posiview might know it). Presumably Photoshop is different!

Nice use of '3s' here for the composition and the colours are beautiful against the white bg - it certainly looks clean. I agree with Susie and would leave the chain in. I use GIMP too, but mostly just for cloning as I haven't really got fully to grips with it...thanks for linking it for always with @posiview 's captive shot...:eek: ;)

Very clever Nick
And actually I like the other branch and chain (y)

Hi Nick. Love the idea and you have positioned the bird perfectly. I agree with others above that it's good with the branch and chain left in, it adds some charm to the shot for me.

I also use GIMP but wouldn't know where to begin to run a script to get rid of the fringing, you've done a good job and although there is a little bit left it doesn't detract from making it a good shot in my opinion.

Back