Nikon D800......

Tollesbury Sunrise with D800 and Nikon 35mm F1.4 AIS

xCnH3iw.jpg

These images bring home what an outstanding bit of kit the D800 is. Had a mad moment and sold mine to go Fuji. Idiot. Hated it. Fortunately, thanks to a member on here, a D800 is arriving tomorrow so I'm back in the fold. I wasn't tempted to go D810 because when I did that before it was moiré madness as there are a lot of nylon-type fabrics in what I mostly shoot and I had to go back to a D800 which works great for me.

Some superb work on here as ever.

I was thinking this week that work has taken over a bit in recent weeks and I'd hardly taken any photos. But then looking through Lightroom I realised I had actually taken a few, I just hadn't done anything with them. So here's a few that I've finally got around to hosting. Sorry to spam the thread, it was a bit of a backlog!

Layers by G.A.D, on Flickr

Alnwick Castle by G.A.D, on Flickr

Milkyway over Dunstanburgh Castle by G.A.D, on Flickr

Pratchett's first visit to the beach by G.A.D, on Flickr

Dove Crag, Northumberland by G.A.D, on Flickr

Trow Rocks by G.A.D, on Flickr

I was wondering what difference there was between them in the pictures they produced

yes me playing again

So I did a simple test
Both cameras using the same lens nikon 70-200 on the same tripod with same settings of 1/125 second @f2.8 in same position with jpeg file unedited

First the Nikon D800 below that has the anti aliasing filter and second the D810 without the filter

md4Rzp5.jpg

L8qHIKe.jpg

may at first glance look the same until you look at the foliage etc shows up at the foot of the right hand trellis upright
The d810 is definately sharper.

Last edited:
I would say the D800 is definitely focused further back if you look at all the foliage etc.

I was wondering what difference there was between them in the pictures they produced

yes me playing again

So I did a simple test
Both cameras using the same lens nikon 70-200 on the same tripod with same settings of 1/125 second @f2.8 in same position with jpeg file unedited

First the Nikon D800 below that has the anti aliasing filter and second the D810 without the filter

md4Rzp5.jpg

L8qHIKe.jpg

may at first glance look the same until you look at the foliage etc shows up at the foot of the right hand trellis upright
The d810 is definately sharper.

Peter I think you are right . I had the focus on the right front trellis upright in both cases. So just checked the fine tune as that might have been the reason, but both cameras were/are on the zero (0) line, so that didn't cause it. The only other thing it might be is I had dropped the D800 and the focus plane inside might have shifted a bit. I know they worked on the inside because apart from damage repair they had reset the red colour to what it should have been. Prior to the repair I always had a problem with that colour, I could never get it right in camera. The amount it is out is not I think really worth worry about, still could fine tune if necessary

TheD800 is only a back up camera now, The D300 I have a wide angle DX lens 12-24 f1.4G which is what I only use it for now

Last edited:
Peter I think you are right . I had the focus on the right front trellis upright in both cases. So just checked the fine tune as that might have been the reason, but both cameras were/are on the zero (0) line, so that didn't cause it. The only other thing it might be is I had dropped the D800 and the focus plane inside might have shifted a bit. I know they worked on the inside because apart from damage repair they had reset the red colour to what it should have been. Prior to the repair I always had a problem with that colour, I could never get it right in camera. The amount it is out is not I think really worth worry about, still could fine tune if necessary

TheD800 is only a back up camera now, The D300 I have a wide angle DX lens 12-24 f1.4G which is what I only use it for now

to be honest I am genuinely interested in this as i keep debating replacing my D800 with a D810 or even a D850 if any good offers next month :eek:

to be honest I am genuinely interested in this as i keep debating replacing my D800 with a D810 or even a D850 if any good offers next month :eek:

upgrade to the D810 and see the difference, you won't regret it. First thing I noticed was handling the D810. Hard to explain but I found I needed to use a different "technique" when taking a photo. You (or should say I) will be more aware of the cameras capabilities and getting the best out of it. You may also notice the need to fine tune the lens to the camera as shots are so much sharper.
One big bonus is cropping a photo, then is really when you see the difference. have to mention the video side of the D810, WOW !!!!!! what a change from the D800

I didn't go for the D850 because I didn't want such large MP photos taking up computer drive space- don't think the costs gains me that much more it photo quality wise- have to get a flashgun (I have the nikon SB-900) which is extra to carry about.

Maybe for professional photographs to have the very best top of line camera is worth it ( tax expense claim thinking of) but for the keen amateur photographer who could spend the extra money on another lens !!!!

Soon new D810 cameras won't be available and grey market ones ( around the £1750 mark) are so much cheaper. I got mine from Ireland ( ;) )

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=nikon+d810&_sacat=31388&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=1000

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuDHnIcAtVQ

Last edited:
upgrade to the D810 and see the difference, you won't regret it. First thing I noticed was handling the D810. Hard to explain but I found I needed to use a different "technique" when taking a photo. You (or should say I) will be more aware of the cameras capabilities and getting the best out of it. You may also notice the need to fine tune the lens to the camera as shots are so much sharper.
One big bonus is cropping a photo, then is really when you see the difference. have to mention the video side of the D810, WOW !!!!!! what a change from the D800

I didn't go for the D850 because I didn't want such large MP photos taking up computer drive space- don't think the costs gains me that much more it photo quality wise- have to get a flashgun (I have the nikon SB-900) which is extra to carry about.

Maybe for professional photographs to have the very best top of line camera is worth it ( tax expense claim thinking of) but for the keen amateur photographer who could spend the extra money on another lens !!!!

Soon new D810 cameras won't be available and grey market ones ( around the £1750 mark) are so much cheaper. I got mine from Ireland ( ;) )

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=nikon+d810&_sacat=31388&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=1000

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuDHnIcAtVQ
new D810 grey are about £1429 and D850 £1739

Love to see the second desaturated a bit, the green bank on the left raises an eyebrow. The problem is only you know what it was like colour wise as you were there. Anyone else can only guess that so may not be correct

Last edited:
Love to see the second desaturated a bit, the green bank on the left raises an eyebrow. The problem is only you know what it was like colour wise as you were there. Anyone else can only guess that so may not be correct
here is is SOC apart from exposure, highlights and shadows. all other adjustments removed.
i did say i had maybe overdone them :)
800_1293-2 by peter staddon, on Flickr

West Pier at Brighton

6hjDgdI.jpg

“Excellent” shot, well composed, nice movement in the water, good sky, and a very nice mono presentation.

George.

Every time I use the D800 it delivers, such a good camera for it's age, I love my Sigma DP2 Merril but with good glass the D800 delivers the goods, and to think that I sold it, it came back to me as the purchaser claimed that it wouldn't auto focus. I've kept it as I didn't want to sell a camera that had a potential fault, since it was returned I have taken over 1000 images with it and every one is sharp. I have only used a Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art lens on it and it performs beautifully, has to be a keeper.

Artmoor by Tim Riesner, on Flickr

My Best Friends by Tim Riesner, on Flickr

Every time I use the D800 it delivers, such a good camera for it's age, I love my Sigma DP2 Merril but with good glass the D800 delivers the goods, and to think that I sold it, it came back to me as the purchaser claimed that it wouldn't auto focus. I've kept it as I didn't want to sell a camera that had a potential fault, since it was returned I have taken over 1000 images with it and every one is sharp. I have only used a Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art lens on it and it performs beautifully, has to be a keeper.

Artmoor by Tim Riesner, on Flickr

My Best Friends by Tim Riesner, on Flickr
cracking shots!!

i thought it was about time I did a side by side comparison between the Nikon D800 and the Nikon D810. So this is how I went about it.
First was using a tripod, something I rarely use but for this test everything had to be exactly the same. So each camera used the same Nikon 50mm f1.4g lens on the same tripod and head changing one camera on it for the other. Both cameras set up in landscape mode (should have used portrait mode but what the heck) both using aperture mode A - f8 and 1/100 sec . slight variation in shutter speed of 2.0 v2.5 in the exif file

D800
Q1Tl8QU.jpg

D810
BauGPqZ.jpg

That is better messed up first test with angle different

So slight variation on colour and sharpness. The D810 (photo 2) the colour is far closer to what it should be judging by the window blind- plant leaves etc. All I can put it down to the AA filter being removed

Question to ask yourselves is the D810 upgrade worth It? I think so but that is just me

Last edited:
cracking shots!!

Thank you Mark, the shot of my girls was taken with my right arm stretched out as far as it would go, holding the camera and my left arm stretched the other way holding biscuits ;) so the AF is dot on.

I thought it was time to show a couple of my favourite shots with the D800, so far. They Parrot and Tiger were shot in early September at a safai zoo up in the Lake District. They have been moderately cropped.

The Squirrel was raiding the bird feed in our back garden in mid-October. Taken with a 70-300 AF-S lensd this is quite heavily cropped.

Last edited:
i thought it was about time I did a side by side comparison between the Nikon D800 and the Nikon D810. So this is how I went about it.
First was using a tripod, something I rarely use but for this test everything had to be exactly the same. So each camera used the same Nikon 50mm f1.4g lens on the same tripod and head changing one camera on it for the other. Both cameras set up in landscape mode (should have used portrait mode but what the heck) both using aperture mode A - f8 and 1/100 sec . slight variation in shutter speed of 2.0 v2.5 in the exif file

D800
Q1Tl8QU.jpg

D810
BauGPqZ.jpg

That is better messed up first test with angle different

So slight variation on colour and sharpness. The D810 (photo 2) the colour is far closer to what it should be judging by the window blind- plant leaves etc. All I can put it down to the AA filter being removed

Question to ask yourselves is the D810 upgrade worth It? I think so but that is just me

I’ve got both - there isn’t a huge amount in it final image quality wise

Some superb work on here as ever.

I was thinking this week that work has taken over a bit in recent weeks and I'd hardly taken any photos. But then looking through Lightroom I realised I had actually taken a few, I just hadn't done anything with them. So here's a few that I've finally got around to hosting. Sorry to spam the thread, it was a bit of a backlog!

Layers by G.A.D, on Flickr

Alnwick Castle by G.A.D, on Flickr

Milkyway over Dunstanburgh Castle by G.A.D, on Flickr

Pratchett's first visit to the beach by G.A.D, on Flickr

Dove Crag, Northumberland by G.A.D, on Flickr

Trow Rocks by G.A.D, on Flickr

Cracking set of images amazing what you can find in your unworked back catalogue

Last edited:
Nikon D800 causing problem until I found out the answer, so beware.

What happens is if you assign the shutter button for videos in the setup menu it greys out lock up mirror for cleaning and dust off ref as well. This is if you assign "g4" in the movie menu to record movies as well. I thought I had lost part of the camera menu until I found the answer. it is on page 324 in the users manual under "Record movies" block. It may well effect other functions as well so worth checking out. there was something about assigning to another memory bank such a "D" for example but I could not be bothered to go into all that.

link
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50300280

this doesn't happen on the nikon D810 I should add

Last edited:
Back