weekly Nikon f1.8's 52 for this year....... and we are off - Week 7 Broken added

Lovely looking happy dog. Never heard of a Pomsky before but the husky gene looks the dominant one.

Hi Paul, I have a few bits like that here, plenty of detail and works well on a plain background.
Thank you, I have a drawer full of bits and bobs from all my gear, must get it all sorted out.
Works for the theme, and good DOF :)
Thank you for the comments.
Good for the theme Paul, and nicely placed.
Cheers Dave, getting the hang of it now :)
Seems a bit drastic just to get the shot?
:D

It works well for the theme,
Needed doing Cobra, much better machine now, the SSD really makes a difference.
120GB? That's gotta be quite old then.
f/11, 1/10th. 640 ISO.
I'd have liked to see more DoF, but you were already at f/11 so okay. 1/10th is quite impressive if you were hand-held, but surely a tripod and closer to 1 sec would have been better? (Could've pushed the f-stop a bit smaller too). I'd also have liked a bit more headroom too, but I obviously don't know your constraints.
Works nicely for the theme :)
It is quite old you are right Tim, it was more of an impulse shot as I have put off the upgrade for a while now and I thought, well it is definitely on theme. I must try and put more thought into placement when doing stills.
Works well for me.
Thank you
works for the theme, I think an upgrade was overdue
Yes, 16gig memory makes all the difference compared to what was in it.

Nice start to your 2020 52 Paul.
The three figures for your local shot certainly fit the theme. They are unusual but that makes the shot for me.
Excellent shot for Pleasure. I really like the condensation drops. Well lit without getting reflections.
Tool is another great shot. It really pops out of the picture. The legs are indeed strange!
Discarded is a perfect fit to the theme. Nice and simple shot and a good shallow DoF.
Your snapper's choice shot is very nice. It really looks as if Frankie is smiling :)

Nice start to your 2020 52 Paul.
The three figures for your local shot certainly fit the theme. They are unusual but that makes the shot for me.
Excellent shot for Pleasure. I really like the condensation drops. Well lit without getting reflections.
Tool is another great shot. It really pops out of the picture. The legs are indeed strange!
Discarded is a perfect fit to the theme. Nice and simple shot and a good shallow DoF.
Your snapper's choice shot is very nice. It really looks as if Frankie is smiling :)
Thank you for all the comments Lee

Great action shot fits the theme perfectly.

What a great well timed shot Paul, really do like it as you have them fighting and all in focus well but also like the flying drops of water (y)
Would have liked to get the shutter speed up a bit more but it was a bit gloomy and I was already on 1000iso

2 wild birds having a bit of a wild scrap, I'd say you've nailed it (y)

Snappers Choice - Lovely image he's obviously enjoying himself.

Wild - Great action shot well caught

Tough call, Paul.
But I think the nest building heron has it, just.

Got to be the broken twig in the Herons beak, a cracking shot and lovely OOF BG makes it pop.
Thanks Dave, I like the texture in the bark, but I also like the Heron shot as well if the background was not so dark.
Tough call, Paul.
But I think the nest building heron has it, just.
Thank you Cobra for the comment, I might try to lift the shadows a bit to see if it makes the image any better, the gloomy weather we are having made the location of the shot even more dismal.

I might try to lift the shadows a bit to see if it makes the image any better
I've just had a little play, and you need to be careful you don't lose the definition in the wing whites, its easy to do.
Maybe try a bit of contrast to lose the haze on the background. Or a "de haze" tweak if you have it.

Another vote for the heron. Expresses the theme more clearly for me too.

Thanks Clive and Helen, to be honest I was totally undecided which to put in the main thread, the darker background of the Heron image sort of put me off as I do like the lighter textures of the broken bark.

Sorry Paul another vote for the Heron shot, looks even better on Flickr. That being said I do like your tree stump shot and wonder what it would look like in mono (but then again I convert just about everything to mono so best ignore me!)

Wild - great action shot well captured
Broken - as others have said both great shots, I too like the Heron shot best

Back