weekly Nikon f1.8's 52 for this year....... and we are off - Week 7 Broken added

I love what it is sitting on. Is it a lizards leg, a hand, a horse's hoof and????

That`s a cracking shot Paul, really do like it as it just pops against the sky.
Thanks Dave
hope to get up there again when we get a nice red sunset as it is facing west, should make for a better image.

The dark grey sculpture against the blue grey sky works nicely - and a fascinating subject. What is the background of this sculpture?

here we go, it is one of a pair of landmarks in Consett County Durham.

In the 1960’s Consett Steelworks made some of the highest technology steel in the world, but in September 1980 the steelworks shut down, ending 150 years of iron and steel-making in the area.
The railway serving the steel town was closed shortly afterwards and the area was redesigned as a cycling and walking route by 1990 with artworks being added between 1988 and 1998.

A sculptor, Tony Cragg, was commissioned to create a lasting memorial to the steelworkers of County Durham. When Cragg visited the site, there was nothing left of the steelworks, so he decided to call the project Terris Novalis – literally “new made land”.

Cragg made models of the Terris Novalis sculpture in 1992, cast in mild steel, but for the commission in Consett, he blew them up from 2m high to over 7m high, and cast them using stainless steel. They were installed in 1996, with the help of a massive crane. Terris Novalis became a phenomenal piece of work: giant instruments marching across County Durham on their strange feet.

Tony Cragg, who works in Germany, has slipped from public notice since his Turner Prize win in 1988. Perhaps that suits the slightly mysterious character of Terris Novalis: there is no plaque, sign or interpretation board to explain what it is, or why it landed on the outskirts of Consett.

Because Cragg works in Germany, the stainless steel was cast in Düsseldorf – ironic when it found itself landing on the site of a British steelworks.

Now that's a bit bonkers that is - which for me is a good thing. Plenty of texture going on. If it was mine I'd be heaping a dollop of mono on it :)

Now that's a bit bonkers that is - which for me is a good thing. Plenty of texture going on. If it was mine I'd be heaping a dollop of mono on it :)

thanks for the comment Dave, I actually thought about that and even tried it, but I thought (to my mind) that the grey steel against the pale blue sky was much better. when we get a nice red sunset I will be up there again which should give more contrast between sky and steel.

Sextant? ( or did I miss that bit?)

I really like that, lots of textures and details.

Sextant? ( or did I miss that bit?)

I really like that, lots of textures and details.
Possibly or could be an old fashioned theodolite, there are no plaques on the sculptures so it's anyones guess.

Cna't knock a cold Guiness, nicely shot :)

Like this shot, great choice of subject very well executed.

Hi Paul, that's a great idea for Pleasure and it's a pleasing image too, with the almost monochrome effect from the combination of dark brown and cream tones, including the background. Not a cop out at all - it works well :)

Your subject for Tools is a fascinating one and the low angle works nicely to isolate it against the sky. Really well composed and exposed, and the background to the sculpture made interesting reading (y)

Great subject, It would make a great silhouette shot too, but then you would loose all the texture details

Those feet are bonkers. Just read up about it and they are a cow's foot, a bird of prey foot, a primate's hand and a crocodile's foot. How they are related to the dead and gone steel industry defeats me but they add a cracking bit of detail to the whole thing.

It's not really a functional tool, is it? But great photo, well composed, with plenty of details and textures!

That's one very impressive sculpture and would like to see a person standing next to it for scale comparison.
No one around at the time I'm afraid, but it is around 20 foot high

It's not really a functional tool, is it? But great photo, well composed, with plenty of details and textures!
Not functional Bernd, but it is a tool nevertheless so you could say it is a bit of a shoehorn

That's a great picture of a very unusual tool, I like it.
Thanks Clive for your comment

Those feet are bonkers. Just read up about it and they are a cow's foot, a bird of prey foot, a primate's hand and a crocodile's foot. How they are related to the dead and gone steel industry defeats me but they add a cracking bit of detail to the whole thing.
Yes Joan you are correct, they are a bit on the ludicrous side, but I do think they add character to the sculpture.

Great subject, It would make a great silhouette shot too, but then you would loose all the texture details
Cheers Minx, might try a silhouette shot one day, would love a sunset in the background though I think it would look great with the grey steel against the red sky.

That's a great shot for the tool theme Paul!(y)
And what an impressive structure with some fascinating background too.
Good, strong, central composition and the muted colour palette works to emphasise the fantastic 'steel-ness' of it!
Well done!
Thanks Gareth, it is a rather imposing sculpture, it is a pity that is is slightly out of town so some folks passing would probably miss it.
Hi Paul, that's a great idea for Pleasure and it's a pleasing image too, with the almost monochrome effect from the combination of dark brown and cream tones, including the background. Not a cop out at all - it works well :)

Your subject for Tools is a fascinating one and the low angle works nicely to isolate it against the sky. Really well composed and exposed, and the background to the sculpture made interesting reading (y)
Thanks for your comments Andrea, I had to Google the sculptures myself as there is no info on the site about them.

Works for the theme, and good DOF :)

I have removed an old drive and two memory modules from my mac mini and discarded them. :)
Seems a bit drastic just to get the shot?
:D

It works well for the theme,

120GB? That's gotta be quite old then.
f/11, 1/10th. 640 ISO.
I'd have liked to see more DoF, but you were already at f/11 so okay. 1/10th is quite impressive if you were hand-held, but surely a tripod and closer to 1 sec would have been better? (Could've pushed the f-stop a bit smaller too). I'd also have liked a bit more headroom too, but I obviously don't know your constraints.
Works nicely for the theme :)

Works well for me.

works for the theme, I think an upgrade was overdue

Lovely clean image Paul, lovely looking dog too (y)

Back