weekly Phil Bennett's 52 for 2015 - Week 24 Spiral added

As others have said for companions, excellently lit.

Scenic - Great shot and nicely suited mono conversion. A very poignant location and well taken image. The low point of view has really helped to strengthen it. Nice one.

Companions - Some absolutely super lighting on this which makes this a top image. You'd usually want to see the face but in this case it works better without. The fact the head is leant towards the table helps lead the viewers eye there as well.

As has already been said companion is a very moody and overall well lit photograph. I like how the shadow on your left corner produces a leading line to the table but I wonder what it would look like if your shoulder have a bit more lighting :thinking.

Cheers.

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated, and for those who are interested.

The lighting is from a Bowens strobe, through a beauty dish, photographers left, pointing down on me. The Port and Cheese are lit from a speed light, again from the photographers left, I did have a speed light on the sideboard straight behind me, but it needs more work to rim light properly.

Camera on timer, and shot in my dining room.

Scenic - Very nice composition and processing. Like the sharp focus on the foreground with the rails taking me deeper into the scene. I agree with others regarding removing the pole / mast from the top of the train carriage and maybe the wires too.
Companions - Fabulous lighting and colours. Great use of negative space (y)

Hi Phil.....

I love your Scenic shot......POV is spot on, processing really suits, I wouldn't change a thing .....such a poignant image as well :clap:

Auschwitz & Birkenau are high on my list of places to visit....could I ask who organised the trip foryou...was it a UK travel agent or did you just sorted everything yourself ?

Companions.......like that a lot , really good lighting giving a moody feel to the image (y) The only niggle is the placement of your left hand....feels a little awkward to me ?

Really like your bliss image, you composed the shot very well and the lighting is spot on for me. I also love your image for companion, it fits the theme perfectly and the lighting helps convey a sense of sadness having gave up your pool cue.

Would you mind sharing your lighting setup?

Really like your bliss image, you composed the shot very well and the lighting is spot on for me. I also love your image for companion, it fits the theme perfectly and the lighting helps convey a sense of sadness having gave up your pool cue.

Would you mind sharing your lighting setup?

Cheers Steven

Bliss, is just light painted with a 7 day shop torch

Companions,
The lighting is from a Bowens strobe, through a beauty dish, photographers left, pointing down on me. The Port and Cheese are lit from a speed light, again from the photographers left, I did have a speed light on the sideboard straight behind me, but it needs more work to rim light properly.

Camera on timer, and shot in my dining room.

Last edited:
Hi Phil.....

I love your Scenic shot......POV is spot on, processing really suits, I wouldn't change a thing .....such a poignant image as well :clap:

Auschwitz & Birkenau are high on my list of places to visit....could I ask who organised the trip foryou...was it a UK travel agent or did you just sorted everything yourself ?

Companions.......like that a lot , really good lighting giving a moody feel to the image (y) The only niggle is the placement of your left hand....feels a little awkward to me ?

Hi Lynne

Three of us went to Krakow, and I just organised the flights myself, Easyjet. I also organised an apartment (In the Jewish Quarter of Krakow) via Tripadvisor, just booked direct, we paid for a taxi to pick us up, from the guys who manage the apartment. When we were ready to go to Auschwitz & Birkinhau, I gave him a ring and they picked us up the next day, and looked after us all day, nothing was a problem to them.

We went to the Auschwitz camp before 10:00am, so we could do our own thing, after 10:00 you have to do the guided tour.

And yes, the left hand was a pain when I was taking it, I ended up just going with it.

Thanks for looking and commenting

Phil

OOoooo, they are nice...pity they aren't full size :)

Nice lighting, maybe a tad close at the bottom but the reflections are great. I like two, but IMO, one would have been better.

Cheers.

Yes they are nice.

The Porsche looks better lit and focused than the Merc ... but maybe it's meant to be that way. :)

Love the interpretation of the theme!
Great reflections.

Hey Phil - nice choice of subject for your entry this week.

It's well lit to emphasise the "elegant" curves and the reflective surface they sit on really adds to the image. My only crit would be the narrow letterbox crop, but then I prefer seeing subjects in lots of space. Makes still life shots of things more arty and less "product shot".

+1 on all the above.

I rather like that Phillip (y)
(nothing more to add really)

Very pretty image Phillip....What a lovely place!

yep i like that - it is as Al says a bit brigt to the right but that doesnt really detract from the image in my view

Nice ... getting right down there at water level ... and the perfect shutter speed.

Back