Critique required Photo Van Gogh's - Project 52 for 2024

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, we're off and running. I hope I've posted both of these in the right places. This is were I can share my weekly challenge and engage with others for critique and feedback. The other I'm not allowed to make any comments. Anyway, I had big ideas for my first project. But life has a way of taking over, weather didn't cooperate, neighbors were in the way (it's a church that I wanted to shoot), family emergency. But dame it, I was gonna get off on the right foot. So, here it is right outside my window. And please I'm doing this hoping for critique and seeking to improve. Your input is always welcome

Daily Photos-23.jpg

Life does get in the way of shooting weekly for a theme doesn't it!
The odd leaf still on the tree does make you look more closely at it and gives away the fact that it isn't shot in mono or B&W.
A solid first shot for the challenge :)

Please have a look at the guides around how to link your post in the main thread back to the post in your personal thread.
Without the link, people are less inclined to post comments, especially when your personal thread drops down the list.
The HowTo (provided by @Cobra ) is here:

Life does get in the way of shooting weekly for a theme doesn't it!
The odd leaf still on the tree does make you look more closely at it and gives away the fact that it isn't shot in mono or B&W.
A solid first shot for the challenge :)

Please have a look at the guides around how to link your post in the main thread back to the post in your personal thread.
Without the link, people are less inclined to post comments, especially when your personal thread drops down the list.
The HowTo (provided by @Cobra ) is here:
Oh thank you.

It's a nice start and a lovely shot. Those little hints of brown work well :)

Like that good start to the year, looks a bit chilly there. Only crit would be the darker bits just to the right of centre which could be a bit distracting

Like that good start to the year, looks a bit chilly there. Only crit would be the darker bits just to the right of centre which could be a bit distracting
Oh yes, it's like a big clear X in the middle there. I never even noticed it. Thanks

Reactions: nog
Yeah, we had a couple of days like that and last night it was in the 50s. Thanks for the feed back

Reactions: nog
So do we think this is better? Even though you know what was there can you tell? It's a rabbit hole. Now the large branch off the right bothers me.

revised.jpg

Okay, I struggled with in that I just couldn't get what I wanted. Being this is the following Thursday, this is my final submission. So, this is an orange slice frozen in ice.
I also had problems with my camera and might have to send it in for repair. So, I'm a little frustrated.

Hard Icy Orange 1.jpg

Last edited:
Week 1: I love this. Simple, almost monochrome save for the brown thing (leaf?) which almost becomes the subject once you notice it.

Week 2: Isn't shouting the theme at me and I totally understand deadlines in one's ear - I had the same issue! Good close framing that confuses the brain as to it's size. As a photo, it works. As for being on theme, less so for me.

But sill - keep it up!

Good to have the explanation as my initial thoughts were sharp rather than hard, but now I understand where you were coming from :)
Whilst it isn't 100% centralised, I think that's good enough to show that you put time and thought into the composition.
I hope the camera problem either fixes itself, or can be quickly/cheaply resolved.

Good to have the explanation as my initial thoughts were sharp rather than hard, but now I understand where you were coming from :)
Whilst it isn't 100% centralised, I think that's good enough to show that you put time and thought into the composition.
I hope the camera problem either fixes itself, or can be quickly/cheaply resolved.
Thanks, I spent hours on the phone and chasing emails to repair shops and Sony. I'm waiting on one last effort with Sony. But it's not looking good. No one will even look at it. I'll have to Just make due for now as I don't have any way to buy a new camera.

There is no such thing as deadline Thursday or any other days. Just post the image whenever you are ready. We are lead a busy life so catchups are norm.
Anyway I thought you've done well with the shot and I like the square format but I find the crop is a bit too tight.
Thank you. For the encouragement and kind words.

The crop was so tight because the when I put the orange in the water to freeze it, it floated near the edge. So as to not show the rough edges I felt I had to crop tight. I should have tried the AI in photoshop to create a larger image.

Like the crop as I think it gives impact, needed the explanation as, to me, not obvious it is hard. Good lighting behind the slice though bit white in the middle as no orange there. Good luck with the camera issue.

The ice and hence the hardness wasn't very obvious to me but I really like it as an image. Perhaps other crops would also be good but for me I think filling the frame works really well with the subject. The back lighting is effective at showing the internal structure of the orange and some texture in the ice.

Alrighty, week three, soft. Originally I wanted to shoot talcum powder but couldn't figure how to do it without it looking like cocaine. Then I wanted to shoot soft serve ice cream at work. Got there and took out my camera only to realize that I didn't have a charged battery. So, I ate it. Moving on I went back to the powder and thought ok, some flour and an egg fit the bill. So, here it is. Soft Flour.jpg

Eggscellent!

Nicely set up too :)

Cracked it this week :exit:
Egg looks good with nice colour, not sure about the finger? Marks in the flower, might look better without but maybe not.
Good to read you made good use of one the ice cream, camera fixed and ok?

Cracked it this week :exit:
Egg looks good with nice colour, not sure about the finger? Marks in the flower, might look better without but maybe not.
Good to read you made good use of one the ice cream, camera fixed and ok?
Thanks for the kind words anc C&C. No one will touch the camera including sony. It still works but just can't use the back screen. So, no preview or awkward positions to tilt the screen to compose, and certainly no chimping. Even when I look at the prices of some of these repair shops they start with a minimum of $350 labor and up. So for now I'll just have to suck it up and make due. Thanks for asking

Back