photoman2 52 week challenge- week 0 old

I just found two was there more?

There was a thread called 'Wow' with a shot of an American diner for week one. Not sure how I saw that but missed the topless blonde. :thinking:

My comments to tie the three together:

Old: I don't mind the extreme processing, it's eye-catching and makes the image actually look old.

Metal: Love the subject, would have liked to see it in the context of its surroundings.

Captive: Obviously fits the theme. She's a beautiful girl but I'm fairly sure she could fit through those bars if she tried!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Metal - Wow indeed very shiny and definitely on them.

Captive - certainly fits theme

Miniature D
DSC_4211.JPG type Jag

Hi William

Well, I love the diversity of your photography - we have almost everything in here and it's only week 4!

Old works for me - stylistically it's interesting and effective. Blown highlights and lost shadow detail can sometimes work (or at least not be a negative) and I think this is a case in point.
Metal is less appealing to me - it feels a touch underexposed (not by much) and the wow strikes me as out of context. That's not your fault, more the owner of the diner's fault!
Captive is bang on theme and I like the composition with her positioning in frame etc. The only thing I'd say is for me the lighting looks a touch flat - too close to the axis of the camera, which gives less definition. I think some soft sidelighting plus fill might work better?
Happy - can see the contentment in all three subjects! Is it a scan from a negative/print? Unfortunately the colour resolution appears a bit "compressed" which doesn't do the shot as much justice as it could.

Hi pjm1
Allways interested in critique of my work ,not always everyones cup of tea. Old is one of my favourites Metal was put into try to catch up and is a record shot of route 66 captive was somthing differant from the norm on the shoot. Happy is a bit compressed but thats what my wife wonted I see you have not found miniature yet look forword to your comments in the future thanks for your thoughts
mutch appreciated.
WM

Not sure what that is in your Miniature shot but that car certainly does look very tiny.

Excellent choice for Happy ...out on the beach with those beautiful dogs....that's a certainly a happy prospect...the processing isn't everyone's choice but it's all very personal isn't it.

I've just noticed your Abandoned shot on the main page ...very appropriate as it was Holocaust Remembrance Day this week ...the starkness of the shot empasises the utter bleakness of it all.

It may help to refer back to Cobra's info that helps with links and posting ...you'll soon get the hang of it.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...nes-and-linkys-for-tp52-class-of-2016.611629/

Last edited:
Not sure what that is in your Miniature shot but that car certainly does look very tiny.

Excellent choice for Happy ...out on the beach with those beautiful dogs....that's a certainly a happy prospect...the processing isn't everyone's choice but it's all very personal isn't it.

I've just noticed your Abandoned shot on the main page ...very appropriate as it was Holocaust Remembrance Day this week ...the starkness of the shot empasises the utter bleakness of it all.

It may help to refer back to Cobra's info that helps with links and posting ...you'll soon get the hang of it.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...nes-and-linkys-for-tp52-class-of-2016.611629/
Hi Susi j
Thank you for your comments geting there slowly
WM

Hi there ... Abandoned ... love it: the subject, the POV, the framing, the processing. :clap:

miniature - It is certainly on theme. I didn't know what the object with the car was but found out and now I can see why you used it.

Happy - 3 very Happy faces there.

Old... I like the gritty feel to the picture and no doubt them hands have done this job for a long time,
Metal... Wow route 66 what a find lovely picture and on theme
Miniature... nicely done I guess there pistons represented by the miniature car
Happy... lovely shot of the wife and dogs I guess the long haired dog is a German shepherd beautiful dog he/she looks very mean loll grate shot for the theme.
Abandoned... love the angle of the shot and the snow give is and eerie abandoned feel to it(y)

clever idea for the miniature theme, Happy is a lovley picture but the standout is abandoned, saw this in the original thread, moving and powerful in equal measures.

Camouflaged]

Attachments

• Camouflaged.jpg
    Camouflaged.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Hi, William, can I have some narrative to post #62 please, is this camouflage?

Might be an idea to add a link in the 'no comments' thread, helps folk navigate to your thread (y)

Cheers.

Hi, William, can I have some narrative to post #62 please, is this camouflage?

Might be an idea to add a link in the 'no comments' thread, helps folk navigate to your thread (y)

Cheers.
Sorry still havent got the hang of it yet will keep trying and yes it is camouflaged
Thanks WM

Last edited:
Hi William
My favourite of your images so far is for the Metal theme, however I do agree that it requires a slight CCW rotation as the diner itself leans to the right on all the verticals.

Hi William
My favourite of your images so far is for the Metal theme, however I do agree that it requires a slight CCW rotation as the diner itself leans to the right on all the verticals.

Hi Ruth
Thanks for your comments the verticles depend on how much Jack Daniel you have had to drink.
WM

Hi Ruth
Thanks for your comments the verticles depend on how much Jack Daniel you have had to drink.
WM

Well, they depend on simple geometry, but ok! :LOL:

Abandoned - a very emotive picture and the snow adds to the feeling of abandoned.

Camouflage - would be interesting to know the background to these pictures. In itself it has interest with the different range of ages and clothing etc in the pictures but not sure of the link to camouflage.

Abandoned - not sure how I missed it last time but right on theme
Camouflaged - very interesting picture not sure why it is camoflaged unless it is the uniforms but good picture nonetheless

Abandoned - a very emotive picture and the snow adds to the feeling of abandoned.

Camouflage - would be interesting to know the background to these pictures. In itself it has interest with the different range of ages and clothing etc in the pictures but not sure of the link to camouflage.
Abandoned this is Auschwitz and is in Febuary say no more
This is a cosentration camp outside Burlin at the end of the war it was hushed up and part of it was cleared away before it was stoped to me this was a cover up or camouflaged.
Thanks for your coments WM

Not sure where the link is William but just saw your Dangerous shot and worked my way here via your postings. The mix of drugs is clearly dangerous so definitely on theme. Like the composition and concept. :clap:

Very edgy, there's a suitable feeling of griminess about that whole picture.

By the way, see where it says #73 in the bottom-right of your post above? Click on that and paste the second link into your last post on the main photo thread - then people seeing the image will be able to come straight to this thread to comment.

Both excellent images and on theme William. I particularly like the flower in ice for this week - the detail is nicely retained in the white - could so easily have blown highlights - and that beautiful vibrant mauve & orange combo is so striking. (No link by the way from the main page to yours).

William Hi, It certainly looks Dangerous, liking the black background, The Topical image is good for the theme and the flower image seems to fit the living world theme perfectly. Like how the purple is set off with the snow.

Back