weekly pjm1's TP52 in 2016 - week 31 Fauna

I saw this theme come out just before I headed up north for a long weekend of dangerous stuff - only one week out of sync with the themes in real life!

Friday I was brushing up on my winter skills by taking an avalanche awareness course. Very interesting stuff learning to forecast the avalanche danger on different aspects of the mountain, using weather forecasts and precipitation and wind histories - all a bit "classroom" but vitally important to establishing what the local danger in any one hill might actually be. Then we went out up onto the North face of Ben Nevis to examine some potential avalanche hazards, examine snow layers and in a safe and controlled way, start very small avalanches to see how the snow fractures differently.

The conditions were brutal - 50mph winds at about 500m up and gusting far higher. One of our group (we started with 4 of us "students" and two guides) was blown off her feet as we were walking along the path and seemed to tear her MCL, so she had to be walked back down again after just half an hour out on the hill :( An hour before we went out a Swiss guy was avalanched down about 100m in the gully next to where we were heading - it just goes to show that even though our mountains might be small, they're no less dangerous than the Alps in their own way. Fortunately he didn't need an evac and managed to walk out of the coire back to his car (hobbling).

Friday night I then drove back down south again to wild camp in the southern-most part of the Highlands, near Killin. We pitched our tent part of the way along a route to Meall Ghaordaidh, which is a very unremarkable munro and usually fairly boring. However, it benefited from requiring a NW approach, avoiding the worst of the forecast 50mph winds that following day and we could choose a couple of different approaches depending on conditions the following day. Which was brutal! Westerly winds probably higher than forecast and freezing level at about 500m, so plenty of fresh snow coming down and ice being blasted across us as we walked up. I made sure we kept to the windward side of the mountain on our ascent and descent - although it meant we had to walk a little more into the painful wind, we'd avoid the transported snow on the Easterly side of the mountain, which would be ripe for avalanche. We saw one group of walkers taking the opposite approach and heading towards the Easterly side - an easier walk but they would have faced a much more dangerous climb up above the snowline.

Anyway, the descent was pretty hairy. We drifted a little too far East at one point and as visibility disappeared during yet another snowstorm I realised we were about to cross onto an Easterly face. It was fairly steep - 35-40 degrees or so and therefore lethal. I was standing below my friend, who took one step onto the slope. Just a couple of feet away from me, across the entire face of the slope a crack appeared in the slope. I yelled to him to get back on the ridge (which he did) and a sheet of windslab about 6" thick and the size of a large dining room table broke away and fell down the slope. It wouldn't have been enough snow to carry us (unless very unlucky) even had we been standing on it, but it reinforced how careful you need to be, even when you know what you should be doing (because it's easy to "drift").

The rest of the descent was done very, very carefully - taking a bearing every minute or two (since we often couldn't see because of the whiteout) and picking our way down some fairly steep stuff - always keeping again to the windward side. Ice axes were in constant use (although not for arresting any slides) and there was quite a bit of front pointing down the steeper stuff. I did enjoy the bum slides down some of the gentler soft snow slopes, though!

Just over five hours after we set off we were back at camp, a bit sore from the exertion (despite being a short walk, it was quite "tense") and the prolonged crampon work had put quite a bit of pressure from my boots onto my shins. I thought they were just a bit sore, but when I had a bath back home I realised I'd manage to mangle my shins quite badly - which needed some topical attention! :)

Week 8: Topical
by Paul M, on Flickr

So, a very long story for how and why I came to take this photo :)

Lighting was from a single strobe, off frame left and above the scene. Reflector to the right of frame. Large aperture (f/2.8) meant a bit of natural light came in from the window, but that was ok for the image I wanted to create. Light modifier was a large gridded softbox which I flagged down to a circle about 70-80cm in diameter (using tin foil!) to give the effect you see. I then processed quite heavily in lightroom to make it as gritty as possible, without going black & white or selective colour - I wanted to be able to see the red of the sudocrem and my wounds!

The grain and desaturation may not be to everyone's taste (as might my feet!). Similarly, the choice of a very large aperture to throw the toes slightly OOF to accentuate the shins and tub of cream is a decision which might not work. If I were shooting again, I might shoot it in square format with more empty space to the left and right. But this is what I have... PABD!

The things I do to myself to get a photo on theme! :p

Last edited:
Interesting read Paul, glad everyone remained safe (y)

Sudocreme, now there's a name from the past, I used to put that on my kids bums, pre-nappy your legs will soon be as soft as an erm ... :D

Cor! you lead a very adventurous life Paul - adrenalin pumping and that's just me reading your narrative. My goodness - fancied the Ben Nevis (tourist) walk when we were up that way last year .... summertime; knew it could be dangerous in winter. When I saw your image my immediate thought was how on earth did he manage to get blisters on his shins - now I know. Clearly a lot of technical stuff went into lighting the shot - I read that bit too and have a broad understanding (I think) - you have achieved what you set out to do as both the scars and tub of Sudocream are perfectly lit. Bravo. :clap:

Not really sure what to say after reading that, so I'll restrict myself to commenting that the shot is well lit using the drop off in lighting to frame the shot and nicely sharp where it needs to be.

Wow what a story mate !!! - My Wife suggested an ointment for the theme but didn't do one in the end, glad I didn't, liking the long crop myself, think it works better than a square one would... And thanks, my OCD appreciates you even getting the wood strips central too :D

Hell of a back story Paul, and the shot just makes me wince!
Beautifully shot.

Hi Paul, (makes mental note not to go anywhere with paul) the things you do indeed sounds like hell. As for the shot I don't think you could get it any better looks about perfect to me, I think you have made all the right decisions, though I do have to say I have never heard of the word topical used for ointment until yesterday.

Interesting read Paul, glad everyone remained safe (y)

Sudocreme, now there's a name from the past, I used to put that on my kids bums, pre-nappy your legs will soon be as soft as an erm ... :D

Thanks Chris - we were glad when we were back down below the heavy snow... enjoyable and certainly challenging but my shins paid the price!

Cor! you lead a very adventurous life Paul - adrenalin pumping and that's just me reading your narrative. My goodness - fancied the Ben Nevis (tourist) walk when we were up that way last year .... summertime; knew it could be dangerous in winter. When I saw your image my immediate thought was how on earth did he manage to get blisters on his shins - now I know. Clearly a lot of technical stuff went into lighting the shot - I read that bit too and have a broad understanding (I think) - you have achieved what you set out to do as both the scars and tub of Sudocream are perfectly lit. Bravo. :clap:

Cheers Carl - I like to get the blood pumping, that's for sure (just hopefully not out of an open wound :eek:)... to be honest, the lighting was just step-by-step. A single light and I wanted a circular effect, so blanking off part of the softbox seemed an easy way to do it. With just that one light the shadows were a bit too dark, so I added the reflector to fill in from the other side. And that was it! Thanks for looking and commenting.

Not really sure what to say after reading that, so I'll restrict myself to commenting that the shot is well lit using the drop off in lighting to frame the shot and nicely sharp where it needs to be.

Cheers Tim - I won't be offended if you use the word "nutter"! ;)

Wow what a story mate !!! - My Wife suggested an ointment for the theme but didn't do one in the end, glad I didn't, liking the long crop myself, think it works better than a square one would... And thanks, my OCD appreciates you even getting the wood strips central too :D

Thanks Dean - I did make an extra special effort to get the shot centred. I was deciding whether to put a line or a plank in the middle and went for a plank :)

Hell of a back story Paul, and the shot just makes me wince!
Beautifully shot.

Thanks Ruth! Mucking around with the kids before bedtime and caught my shins a few time. That made me wince! :confused:

Hi Paul, (makes mental note not to go anywhere with paul) the things you do indeed sounds like hell. As for the shot I don't think you could get it any better looks about perfect to me, I think you have made all the right decisions, though I do have to say I have never heard of the word topical used for ointment until yesterday.

Cheers Allan - I don't always do crazy stuff, sometimes I'm sensible :) Really appreciate your generous comments about the shot - I wasn't sure if it would work as an image (even though on theme) but I do think the desaturation has helped anchor it in an odd way.

Topical - very fitting image for the theme well done, I am 3 themes behind at the moment. The weather just has not been my friend of late, and I find this theme tricky.

Thanks Mandy - it was quite fun to take the shot even if it wasn't as much fun creating the wounds in the first place!

Don't get stressed about being behind. You have a couple of easy options - just go with it (i.e. not care) and catch up when you can, or post a few PABD catchups and be done with it. Indoor setup shots using natural window light are options on even dull days (especially on dull days) and people have done some great producty type shots without fancy background or lighting!

Looks nasty, topical attention required. :) That floor makes a good BG.

That's one hell of a back story - thanks for sharing. The lighting looks spot on to me - and it's so obliging for Sudocrem to have a label that colour co-ordinates so well with your injuries ;) Ouch! Hope they're healed soon.

That's one hell of a back story - thanks for sharing. The lighting looks spot on to me - and it's so obliging for Sudocrem to have a label that colour co-ordinates so well with your injuries ;) Ouch! Hope they're healed soon.

Thanks Emma :) Already planning the next fun trip for March. Something called the CMD Arete if the weather's kind enough (basically not too windy). So we have a few weeks' themes before I'm going to be willing it to be "vertical" or something!

Thanks Dean - I did make an extra special effort to get the shot centred. I was deciding whether to put a line or a plank in the middle and went for a plank :)

How sad we are and the lengths we go to for our hobby :D

Hi Paul ....what an exciting write up ....very scary too. I followed the Flickr link and you've certainly captured those wounds well, they look very painful, hope they're better soon. Hopefully there will be a theme that you can relax and enjoy next week.

Thanks Susie... can't really feel them to be honest :) And far better than getting blisters or something which rub against shoes for days/weeks... as long as I don't bang against things, I'm fine. Unfortunately young children have a habit of banging into your shins!!

wow, very nice story and picture. the darkness in the picture really works well!

Hi Paul, this is a catch-up on my first visit to your thread after you were kind enough to visit mine and leave some feedback. My first impression is that you are clearly very capable with lighting techniques, which is something I know next to nothing about, so it will be interesting to follow your thread for that reason, and also the 'walk through' you did for Captive was interesting.

Old - as noted above, beautifully lit to bring out the shapes and textures of the metal and the ropes, with a useful tip as to how you achieved it.
Happy - again, super lighting with an explanation, which is appreciated, and a very natural pose and expression from your lovely daughter. As for being 'grubby', well, kids just seem happier that way :)
Captive - a clever and unusual take on the theme, with a welcome explanation of how you achieved it.
Miniature - having the bottle feature so small in the frame really underlines the theme, and your lighting, as ever, makes your image stand out. Simple and very effective.
Abandoned - nice to have a selection of ideas and images to choose from - sometimes I struggle to get one! - and the one you selected is a beautiful landscape. I really like the wide open scene, the big colourful sky and the sweep of the empty road, and your 'first reserve' shot of the abandoned building is also a well composed image that would also have been bang on theme (y)
Camouflage - I wasn't sure what I was looking at until I read the subsequent comments, but I do like the weak sunlight and cold, bleak atmosphere. The barrier certainly is well hidden by the snow.
Dangerous - a stunning scene with wonderful light, and easy to understand just how much danger lies within such a landscape.
Topical - first of all, an interesting read and glad you got back safely! The narrow DOF works very well to draw the eye immediately to the red of the Sudocrem and your wounds, as does the dark surroundings and the desaturation (y)

I've enjoyed catching up with your thread and will be looking out for the themes you decide to do in future.

Hi Paul, this is a catch-up on my first visit to your thread after you were kind enough to visit mine and leave some feedback. My first impression is that you are clearly very capable with lighting techniques, which is something I know next to nothing about, so it will be interesting to follow your thread for that reason, and also the 'walk through' you did for Captive was interesting.

Old - as noted above, beautifully lit to bring out the shapes and textures of the metal and the ropes, with a useful tip as to how you achieved it.
Happy - again, super lighting with an explanation, which is appreciated, and a very natural pose and expression from your lovely daughter. As for being 'grubby', well, kids just seem happier that way :)
Captive - a clever and unusual take on the theme, with a welcome explanation of how you achieved it.
Miniature - having the bottle feature so small in the frame really underlines the theme, and your lighting, as ever, makes your image stand out. Simple and very effective.
Abandoned - nice to have a selection of ideas and images to choose from - sometimes I struggle to get one! - and the one you selected is a beautiful landscape. I really like the wide open scene, the big colourful sky and the sweep of the empty road, and your 'first reserve' shot of the abandoned building is also a well composed image that would also have been bang on theme (y)
Camouflage - I wasn't sure what I was looking at until I read the subsequent comments, but I do like the weak sunlight and cold, bleak atmosphere. The barrier certainly is well hidden by the snow.
Dangerous - a stunning scene with wonderful light, and easy to understand just how much danger lies within such a landscape.
Topical - first of all, an interesting read and glad you got back safely! The narrow DOF works very well to draw the eye immediately to the red of the Sudocrem and your wounds, as does the dark surroundings and the desaturation (y)

I've enjoyed catching up with your thread and will be looking out for the themes you decide to do in future.

Thank you Andrea and sorry for the delay in replying - a busy end to the week last week and then the weekend happened, all a bit too fast! I really appreciate your detailed feedback and glad so many of the images worked for you. There isn't really a substitute on the lighting side to just getting out and shooting with the stuff. Sounds a bit daft saying that, but the number of poor and "not quite what I had in mind" lighting attempts I had to shoot before it started to come together is untrue. There are plenty of good books on the subject, not all technical either so if you want a recommendation, just ask. But books and online guides are just that - guides... and it's all about practice making perfect (or, in my case, practice leading to fewer disasters now :))

Right, so the "fun" week 9 theme of The Living World. This could have been an opportunity to snap an animal - something I do very rarely, TBH. Or maybe a macro shot of a caterpillar. But that would have been a bit conventional and I was in the mood for doing something proper leftfield.

The living world... what could that be. Well, the world is our planet so my first idea was paint a map with honey or something and leave outside for bugs etc. to come and infest the landmasses... only problem being I thought it would probably be too cold for them right now and they'd probably be hibernating or just not wanting to venture out from their hidey holes. So how else could I make a fake world "live"? Fungus :)

I took a tangerine and carefully cut out the land masses from the skin. I then made a fungal "cream" from mashed up stilton (a bit of a waste, but art has a cost...) and liberally applied said fungus to the tangerine where I'd removed the skin. I cleaned it up a bit and then left it for the weekend in a warm place to ... well, fester. On Sunday I had a peek (in between kids' parties and reviewing 400 photos from said party where I'd been asked to take a "few" snaps) - it was nice and green where I wanted it to be and the tangerine was otherwise in pretty good shape. Only problem being, I wasn't sure how to snap this - yet another setup shot on a background, fruitbowl or something didn't seem creative enough for me in this mood. I looked outside and saw a fairly sorry looking tree in a pot in our back garden - bonzer! I knew at nighttime with the right lighting setup, I could make the image I had in mind...

Week 9: The Living World
by Paul M, on Flickr

For the purpose of this theme/challenge, I could do with the tangerine being bigger and more of an obvious subject, however in terms of the image as an image, I actually prefer it more in context with its surroundings. It's clearly visible and something of a strange juxtaposition with the otherwise dead-looking tree, which I think draws you in and you see the "land" growing on it. (Note that Greenland is the centre of attention... appropriate, I thought!)

The lighting was supposed to be a two light setup, but one of my flash triggers died so I ended up using the second tiny softbox as a slightly cumbersome reflector to add a bit of light frame right aiming back up at the tangerine. Otherwise only lighting is from a large gridded softbox which has been flagged down to a circular 70-80cm box with the use of very technical and expensive... erm, tin foil. That is positioned slightly precariously above the tree, shining down. I then dodged and burned in photoshop to get the slight light painted look which I was after.

I'm happy enough with the image etc., but I'm pleased my idea has managed to translate into a picture which bears at least a passing resemblance to what I wanted!

Now I can look forward to you all telling me I'm just a bit odd :)

Last edited:
Not odd at all, a great idea and a really good photo for the theme. As you say the effort you went to to get the fungus to grow is a little lost but the overall effect works well and hats off to you for making the effort.

Dangerous, scary story to back your image up. Good lighting and the grain does add to the image IMO.

The Living World - clever idea and far more technical than I could muster, like it.

Not odd at all, a great idea and a really good photo for the theme. As you say the effort you went to to get the fungus to grow is a little lost but the overall effect works well and hats off to you for making the effort.

Thanks Chris... it was fun to do (even though it was bloomin' freezing outside). The lighting didn't quite come out as I wanted in camera, but with a bit of PS work I managed to get more or less what I was after :) Glad you liked it.

Dangerous, scary story to back your image up. Good lighting and the grain does add to the image IMO.

The Living World - clever idea and far more technical than I could muster, like it.

Thanks Lee. Dangerous (I think you're meaning the topical one - my shins?) was one of those shots where I thought, "that'll do" rather than it being a plan for any length of time or particularly creative. Living world was the opposite and I'm probably happier with that one as a result. Thanks for commenting (y)

Blimey thats dedication for you!

Great idea Paul, well presented and captured (y)

Blimey thats dedication for you!

Great idea Paul, well presented and captured (y)

Thanks for that - it didn't really take long to do the tangerine. And I might still eat it ;)

Faffing around with the shot in the pitch black and cold at 6am was worse... especially since I couldn't get autofocus to work in the dark, so had to do it manually (after three trips back to the computer and then reshooting to check focus properly!)

I think the image would be better if the tangerine was just "normal" but that's not the point of these themes, is it?! Thanks for commenting as always.

As always, Paul, two well thought out submissions.

Topical looks a little painful. Lighting looks good, well composed and nice POV. I know then cuts are an integral part of the theme, but I'd like to see one with cream added to the cuts and remove the tub.

Living world, BG looks clean and makes the bush and tangerine pop. My main cri is the POV, with it being wide angle, it looks like I'm looking from eye POV and the base perspective looks a little odd....not sure I've explained what I mean :)

Cheers.

As always, Paul, two well thought out submissions.

Topical looks a little painful. Lighting looks good, well composed and nice POV. I know then cuts are an integral part of the theme, but I'd like to see one with cream added to the cuts and remove the tub.

Living world, BG looks clean and makes the bush and tangerine pop. My main cri is the POV, with it being wide angle, it looks like I'm looking from eye POV and the base perspective looks a little odd....not sure I've explained what I mean :)

Cheers.

Thanks Andy - you're spot on with your crit for living world as it does just look a bit strange (verging on fisheye-ish). I was torn between taking a shot which worked better in terms of perspective etc., to one which worked better for the theme with the slightly larger tangerine because of that distortion. I might try a "proper" image using that tree at some point (not for the 52) with a similar, but perhaps slightly more carefully set up lighting arrangement. I'll have get up earlier as the days get longer though!

Perhaps I should have done a grapefruit instead as that would have been larger. But then it probably would have broken the branch!

Good suggestion on topical - I'll be honest and say it isn't my favourite image or composition and only just about works (I think)... your suggestion could well improve it, the only problem being they're getting better now and I don't really want to re-do the damage ;)

Living World BG actually had a fair bit of shadow detail hidden away so I did burn that a bit further, except for the lit area at the bottom. I dodged the tree itself a touch using a luminosity mask as a starting point.

Thanks for comments as always!

My word that is very creative Paul - brilliant idea with the stilton tangerine. Great final result and deservedly so for all your artistic efforts - I would be absolutely chuffed with that. Bravo. :clap:

My word that is very creative Paul - brilliant idea with the stilton tangerine. Great final result and deservedly so for all your artistic efforts - I would be absolutely chuffed with that. Bravo. :clap:

Thanks Carl... I think it's fair to say I'm not expecting someone else to do a similar submission this week :) It's a bit off-the-wall...

As Andy's spotted, the distortion does make the image a bit Escher-like with the pot almost looking like it's at the wrong angle. The low-key lighting probably doesn't help in that regard, but it's worked for what I wanted! Thanks for looking and commenting...

Hi Paul. Dangerous is spot on for the theme even without the story.I think it is a good marker as to wether the image really works imo. Really do like everything about it the post work is great too.
The Living world image is very very clever and creative, no idea where you pulled that from.That said if I had not read your full post I would have been at a loss as to what was going on. Thats no jibe at you more at me really.As i'm not that much of a thinker in that regard I either get the giste after a pause and a little study or I don't and move on. Which after reading what went into the making I feel real bad !

Gaz

Looks interesting and a bit strange, but I like it! The way the tree is lit with the black background makes it stand out for me, I wouldn't know where to start with this!

Hats off for the dedication!!!

Hi Paul. Dangerous is spot on for the theme even without the story.I think it is a good marker as to wether the image really works imo. Really do like everything about it the post work is great too.
The Living world image is very very clever and creative, no idea where you pulled that from.That said if I had not read your full post I would have been at a loss as to what was going on. Thats no jibe at you more at me really.As i'm not that much of a thinker in that regard I either get the giste after a pause and a little study or I don't and move on. Which after reading what went into the making I feel real bad !

Gaz

Hiya Gaz, thank you for the kind comments on both pics. Living World wasn't really meant to make sense - it was one of those, "how crazy would this be?" type ideas I had. Thinker or not, I'd challenge anyone to come up with something as half baked as that ;) To be honest, there was very little effort in the preparation - just a bit of carving work on a tangerine and the wastage of a tiny bit of blue cheese (which my waistline will thank me for). And the carving work is always good practice for halloween! Thanks again for taking the time to comment!

Looks interesting and a bit strange, but I like it! The way the tree is lit with the black background makes it stand out for me, I wouldn't know where to start with this!

Hats off for the dedication!!!

Thanks Lee - strange is one word for it (or me)... The lighting was really the part of the image I wanted to nail - I had this image in my mind which was fairly close to the lighting effect I achieved and to be honest the rest of the image was just my crazy way of making it fit with the theme! Dedication to the surreal, perhaps?! Thanks for commenting and as for getting the lighting - one light, dead easy! (After a bit of trial and error...)

What a creative response to the living world - I'm feeling very lazy now! I'm glad you & Andy unpicked the reason the perspective looked a little odd, not that it spoils the image - it adds to it otherworldliness for me. I love the lighting (as always with your shots) , and don't think the orange would seem so small if it wasn't for your description of the effort that went into creating the world on it!

What a creative response to the living world - I'm feeling very lazy now! I'm glad you & Andy unpicked the reason the perspective looked a little odd, not that it spoils the image - it adds to it otherworldliness for me. I love the lighting (as always with your shots) , and don't think the orange would seem so small if it wasn't for your description of the effort that went into creating the world on it!

Thanks Emma - one person's creative is another's insane, of course :) No laziness on your part - your photos have been excellent. The lighting was surprisingly simple in the end, although it feels a bit more complex when you have a huge softbox 2m up swaying slightly in the wind with extension cables running around the garden... Just as well the rain held off!

Still debating whether to eat that tangerine ;)

It's good to have more alternative entries for Living World. That's an interesting take on the subject.
I think the lighting is pretty good and the image seems sharp enough so gets a (y) from me.

I love your different take on topical and i am currently kicking myslef for not thinking of it!

I agree that your leftfield view of the living world could have done with a bigger fruit but otherwise i love the idea and the mood of the image :clap:

Back