weekly PSPDan's 52 for 2016 - Week 17 "Rough" added!

Danger - yep that says it all right on theme
Topical - good street shot fits the them perfectly

Hi Dan, it's a quick catch-up from me as I've been busy catching up with my themes and it's the first time I've visited your thread. You said that you've tried a 52 in the past and failed, like me, so good luck with your 52 and I hope to see you at the end:) Thanks for dropping in to comment on mine, and I'll try to keep up to date in future!

Metal - that's a lot of metal, especially that big beam, and I like the way the two main features cross over.
Captive - very dark and atmospheric, and really suits B&W. It's almost like two pictures in one, with the two people working late and brightly lit on one side, and then that mysterious face behind the grille on the left. Quite spooky :)
Miniature - there's a great sense of scale here, and what is probably quite a high peak and a lot of buildings at its base are made to look very small by your altitude.
Happy - really colourful and unusual sculpture, with a strong sense of contentment. Great for the theme and well spotted.
Abandoned - the empty box and brown leaves behind it hint at the theme, and your back story makes it clear. Very sad, but good on you for doing what you could.
Camouflage - the squirrel is well disguised in its environment so that's the most fitting choice for the theme, but I like the second image because of the contrast of the camouflaged material being so out of place in such urban surroundings. The opposite of the theme really, but I like it (y)
Dangerous - needs no explanation. A big barrier and lots of bright danger warning signs straight ahead, and the clear danger of the tracks off to the side.
Topical - bang on target and I like her bored expression and pose! I've read the comments about the bag on the right, and your thoughts on cropping and proportions, but I think it could work well as a square crop, meaning you could lose the bag and figure on the right completely.

I've enjoyed catching up with your thread and will make sure I keep up to date with it in future (y)

Last edited:
Hi Dan, it's a quick catch-up from me as I've been busy catching up with my themes and it's the first time I've visited your thread. You said that you've tried a 52 in the past and failed, like me, so good luck with your 52 and I hope to see you at the end:) Thanks for dropping in to comment on mine, and I'll try to keep up to date in future!

Metal - that's a lot of metal, especially that big beam, and I like the way the two main features cross over.
Captive - very dark and atmospheric, and really suits B&W. It's almost like two pictures in one, with the two people working late and brightly lit on one side, and then that mysterious face behind the grille on the left. Quite spooky :)
Miniature - there's a great sense of scale here, and what is probably quite a high peak and a lot of buildings at its base are made to look very small by your altitude.
Happy - really colourful and unusual sculpture, with a strong sense of contentment. Great for the theme and well spotted.
Abandoned - the empty box and brown leaves behind it hint at the theme, and your back story makes it clear. Very sad, but good on you for doing what you could.
Camouflage - the squirrel is well disguised in its environment so that's the most fitting choice for the theme, but I like the second image because of the contrast of the camouflaged material being so out of place in such urban surroundings. The opposite of the theme really, but I like it (y)
Dangerous - needs no explanation. A big barrier and lots of bright danger warning signs straight ahead, and the clear danger of the tracks off to the side.
Topical - bang on target and I like her bored expression and pose! I've read the comments about the bag on the right, and your thoughts on cropping and proportions, but I think it could work well as a square crop, meaning you could lose the bag and figure on the right completely.

I've enjoyed catching up with your thread and will make sure I keep up to date with it in future (y)

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful response to all of my images to date, Andrea! Makes my commenting efforts look very slack. Thank you for your kind words and encouragement!

Hi Dan. Good luck with your sub-project. This one definitely fits the bill ... um ... theme. The image contrasts nicely between the natural and man-made Living Worlds. :clap:

Love this.
Like he's enjoying the view.

Hi Dan. Good luck with your sub-project. This one definitely fits the bill ... um ... theme. The image contrasts nicely between the natural and man-made Living Worlds. :clap:

Thanks, Carl. This is what I was going for.

Now you've started, yuo have to continue :)
Nice sharp duck.
I feel you should have used the 4' rat perspective trick and given us a "The attack of the 60 ft Duck" shot ;)

That would've been great! I haven't read up properly on how to pull that off unfortunately. Next time!

Hi Dan, that duck shot works nicely with it looking into the frame, good DoF and liking the wall line at the bottom too :)

That is incredible. :clap:

Love this.
Like he's enjoying the view.

Thanks for your comments all

Week 10 - Spiky

So due to popular demand :cautious: I've continued my sub project of shots out and about in London. I headed down to Clapham Common last night with a view to finding something spiky. This fence wasn't the spikiest thing I found, but I do like the shot, and no-one said the spikes had to be sharp!

TP 52 Week 10 - Spiky by Dan Griffiths, on Flickr

Nice sunset colours and bokeh from the cars, and great contrast to the almost back fence. And great texture on the spikes too.

When I first saw the duck shot I thought arr boris Johnson...he...he...
well taken and spotted, it looks like the duck is surveying his kingdom,

some nice BG in your spiky shot, works well,

Last edited:
One of the best images of Clapham Common that I've come across ha ha. The composition works really well with the fence vying for dominance over the basketball net but the star of the show for me are the coloured lights in the bg. :clap:

Two strong images since I last looked in, Dan (y) The Living World is a good contrast between the natural and man-made world, and perfectly framed with the wall along the bottom edge and the duck looking into the frame. Your framing for Spiky also works well, with the rusty spikes along the bottom giving strong foreground interest and pointing into the colourful scene behind. The OOF basketball hoop and especially the distant lights make for an attractive urban scene.

I'm enjoying seeing London through your eyes so no complaints here :)

Dan Hi, liking your Living World image, looks as if the duck is surveying his territory, like the framing and colours. Spiky is very good too, good composition and DoF

Yes bokeh you gotta love it. Adds loads here.
Well done.

Gaz

Nice one Matt. Could almost be a New York skyline! Good composition with the nice detail like the position of the base of the basket ball hoop meeting the fence cross piece. Attention to detail makes it for me! They may not be sharp spikes but I wouldn't mind betting they would hurt!

Really nice colours and bang on with the DOF.
Good for the theme!

Living world - great shot it really works with the duck looking away from the camera
Spiky - I like the colours of the sunset in the back ground.

It definitely works, nice find Dan :)

Nice ... capturing a single bunch of (artificial) flowers like that in the light, with OOF message board in the BG. (y)

Hi Dan, I like the image overall and it's interesting. Quite busy with the condolence messages OOF in the background plus the flowers, but it does make sense when you realise what it is. Only downside to that whole image being applied to the theme is whether or not one considers the condolences "artificial"?! Which would be a shame...

Fairly hard lighting on the flowers, but I think that works for this image.

Hi Dan

Nice image the Red of the flowers really stands out from the background nicely seen.

Thank you all for your comments!

Only downside to that whole image being applied to the theme is whether or not one considers the condolences "artificial"?! Which would be a shame...

I did wonder this myself when I took the shot, I tried to remedy it with the shallow depth of field and keeping the focus completely on the quite literally artificial flowers.

Great shoot I like the fact the the door way is clear but yuo have 2 lots of people heading out of the frame either side.

Hi Dan.
Artificial.....I really like that, especially knowing the location. The OOF BG is perfect.
Personal....I feel the same way as @Downton Mini about the composition, and love the colour pop of the green neon.

Back