weekly Purplepleasers 2016 52 Flora

The simplicity of the first one has my vote the others though interesting I can't focus on anything specific they are a little too busy maybe don't work in the same way

I prefer the first too, the view through the fence works well. I am pleased your search for a bit of rough was successful!
Difficult choice, but on balance I prefer the car (is it an old Mini?). I would have preferred the wire mesh fence to be more out of focus though.
Nice trio Lee, tough call, but I think the flaky paint has the edge.
Yes, I agree with @Cobra - the flaky paint of #2 for me. Great textures - makes for a cracking abstract. :clap:
Love the texture of the flaking paint in #2 Lee, but that's a great aspect for #1 so I'm torn between the two. They are all super shots as always.
Rough in B&W makes sense. Like the middle one especially - rough wall is it?
Rough - All on theme but I like the texture of the flakey paint in the second one best
Nice set the flaky paint for me.
It's the paint for me too - great textures and lines in this.
#2 is a beaut ... sharp & contrasty. (y)
#1 and #2 for different reasons, for me #2 has it graphically but #1 is a very good response to the theme.
Hi all good for the theme but I will plump for the paint
3 Great images for Rough Lee (putting anorak on) the first on is either a MK1 or MK2 Mini or maybe a Mini Van/Pick Up as it has sliding windows after 1969 they had winding windows) (takes anorak off) It's between No 1 and 2 for me I think No2 just edges it as No1 makes me feel sad seeing a little Mini left like that!
Sorry, am a bit late here, but I’m glad to hear that your dad’s on the mend. :)

Horizontal - Two very visually interesting photos. I like the first one very much. Both the reflected image on the window and the actual main image are nicely composed! ;)

Vast - A good alternative idea for the theme. :) I like the second one especially because of the contrast and also filling the frame makes it more impactful.

Rough - Yeah, definitely liking the first one. I didn’t know what it was from a first quick glance but the lines and textures just look appealing.

Thsnks everyone for the comments, appreciate them greatly.

I like #2 as well Lee - think it's the fact that the Covered window is almost a subsidiary element to all the interesting components like the Costa, building reflection etc. :clap:

#2 ... buildings reflected in buildings ... covered because the broken pane is covered, presumably. :)

#2 for me, well composed with the reflection of the buildings and right on theme

I like the composition and I can (kind of) imagine the colours, so that's not too much of a stretch.

Hi Lee. Good for you trying the b&w response - although I've posted my Colourful, I'm still mulling over how best to create a b&w image and bring out colour without resorting to selective colouring. Yours certainly stretches the boundaries as Susie says. Like the contrast between the gritty footpath and petals.

Works for me and at least you tried everyone else bottled it :LOL: because we have an imagination you know what blossum is so you can picture it in your mind, might have been an idea to do maybe a triptych of different thing that are colourful it maybe would have enforced the idea in peoples heads

Thanks so much the positive comments, I really appreciate them. I am definitely keeping this 52 this year B&W and then printing a big book. Its more difficult find something a bit more original or less obvious than me worrying about B&W, hopefully for next years 52 I will have a Leica MM 246. This week was slow so me and the Mrs went to Bakewell for tea and i knew this was my entry for theme 20.

Fuji X100T, not sure if the yellow filter was used with B&W jpeg.

TP 52 WK-20 Entry/Entrance by L D Middleton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hiya Lee

Who'da thunk it... you doing a B&W for colourful ;)

However, it works well and I like the fact you've stuck to your guns for this one. I'll be honest and say I would have liked to see *some* colour shots for a bit of variety, but equally it's your personal challenge and if that's what you want to do then that's 100% your call and good on you. Nothing wrong with deciding "this is what it will be" and choosing B&W is certainly not making your life easier!

Entrance - a great spot which reconfirms what a great eye you have for photo subjects (as I've said to someone else on their thread, funnily enough!) Just the right DOF for me (y)

Good take on the Entry theme Lee. Like the b&w processing; the misaligned padlock creates added interest.

Cover - 1st one for me
colourful - good effort but I do feel it lacks colour
entrance - well I would not want to have to unlock all of them in order to get in anywhere

Colourful Black and White, works great in my mind :D

Liking the padlock shot too, nice reflections and the upturned one for the entry is good thinking :)
Nice photo of the locks, your beginning to tempt me in to trying b&w.
Do you shoot in bw or convert?
Looking at Lee's comments, the padlocks are SOOC perhaps with a b&w film simulation used.
Hiya Lee

Who'da thunk it... you doing a B&W for colourful ;)

However, it works well and I like the fact you've stuck to your guns for this one. I'll be honest and say I would have liked to see *some* colour shots for a bit of variety, but equally it's your personal challenge and if that's what you want to do then that's 100% your call and good on you. Nothing wrong with deciding "this is what it will be" and choosing B&W is certainly not making your life easier!

Entrance - a great spot which reconfirms what a great eye you have for photo subjects (as I've said to someone else on their thread, funnily enough!) Just the right DOF for me (y)
clever if not rather cheeky one for the theme, with top wire and padlocks nice & sharp.
Really like that Lee something a little different
Good take on the Entry theme Lee. Like the b&w processing; the misaligned padlock creates added interest.
Cover - 1st one for me
colourful - good effort but I do feel it lacks colour
entrance - well I would not want to have to unlock all of them in order to get in anywhere

Thanks for the comments, very kind and constructive. Ian, I have been shooting RAW + B&W jpeg for most of my 52 this year. I have used the green and yellow simulations a few times, Since having my Fuji X100T I have not looked at a single RAW file, I have only used Flickr's inbuilt Aviary to tweak my photos. When I do the end of year book I might try and use the RAW files and convert.

Hmm... the first seems more in keeping with your style for this challenge but I prefer the second too. Nothing you could have done about it but I do find the brickwork a bit distracting because it is level at the bottom but sloping at the top.Amusing take on the theme none-the-less

Hi Chris,

I agree with your comments, I tried to crop and straighten the graffiti shot but it seemed to tight on the bottom, might try again later.

Definitely #2 Lee - great characters ... was it taken at the TP convention perhaps? Excellent choice.

Last edited:
Back