weekly Purplepleasers 2016 52 Flora

I agree with Chris, #1 is more you with the window and reflections.
Not quite sure I get 'size' from the shot though.
Definitely #2 Lee - great characters ... was it taken at the TP convention perhaps? Excellent choice.

Thanks for commenting, Tim I pass this cake shop on the way to work, i thought the different cakes would work for size. Carl more like some of the signallers i work with lol.

Hi Lee, really like your Colourful b&w as I can imagine the colour of the petals.

Great shot too for Entrance. I like the dof and the non conformity of some of the locks.

It's the cake shop shot for me as it shows different sizes of cakes. It doesn't scream size without the title but with it it works really well and it's a great b&w shot too (y)

Nice find Lee, on my monitor it could perhaps do with the shadows lifting a bit but good that the dandelion heads show up.

Nice find Lee, on my monitor it could perhaps do with the shadows lifting a bit but good that the dandelion heads show up.
Hi Lee, I would like to see the right hand side lightening a tad to see more detail. Nice find

Hi, thanks for the comments, not sure if I can make those adjustments using Flickr's in built Aviary program. Maybe I could try again using the brightness and contrast slider.

Hi Lee

Size: I also rather like the first and I reckon if you'd been able to get the height changes in the cakes matched to the height changes in the reflection of the hedge, it's be a smasher!
Forgotten: doesn't really work for me as is, but I'd agree it would be good to see a bit more shadow detail.

Well chosen and taken Lee - I particularly like those two dandelion heads - they stand out so well against that dark bg.

Good to see a non window shot Lee ;)
I'll agree with the others, it is a little dark around the edges, if you're just using flickr to edit then I really would urge you to add software to your armoury. Even something like paint.net (free) will give you more flexibility - A bit of playing with a levels adjustment layer would improve the shot.

Haaa I hope they were not yours, your Mrs will not be happy :D
I like that Lee love the detail in the dandelions
Hi Lee

Size: I also rather like the first and I reckon if you'd been able to get the height changes in the cakes matched to the height changes in the reflection of the hedge, it's be a smasher!
Forgotten: doesn't really work for me as is, but I'd agree it would be good to see a bit more shadow detail.
Nicely shot, B&W helps the theme :)
Well chosen and taken Lee - I particularly like those two dandelion heads - they stand out so well against that dark bg.
It is a little dark around the edges, but good find for the theme.
Good to see a non window shot Lee ;)
I'll agree with the others, it is a little dark around the edges, if you're just using flickr to edit then I really would urge you to add software to your armoury. Even something like paint.net (free) will give you more flexibility - A bit of playing with a levels adjustment layer would improve the shot.
Number 2 for me - a great find and bang on theme
Hi I like the high contrast look of it but obviously that just seems to be me
Nice find for the Abandoned theme. :exit:

high contrast look, eh! @alsjazzera ... yes high contrast look. (y)
I like your size picture, very different.
Forgotton is spot on too.

Thanks for all the comments, i really need a new computer and some decent software to edit my images better.

So this weeks theme was a bit of a drag, went to Lyme Park and house on Monday, bright sunshine, blue sky and mega hot, so no details in the sky because of the B&W jpeg on the house photo. Not sure which i like the best probably the pot,

TP 52 WK-23 Stone (Lyme Park and House) by L D Middleton, on Flickr

TP 52 WK-23 Stone Lyme Park and House by L D Middleton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Must admit Lee I like all three for different reasons.

No 1 For the B&W and reflection in the water. Composition is spot on for me with the trees to the left
No 2 Suits the theme for me, would like to see the crop show the top of the alcove ?
No 3 Nice, would be good for a different theme, possibly Image, Mirrored ?

Size - I Agree no 1 is more your usual style but both fit the theme
Forgotton - not sure if someone forgot they left their mattresses there more deliberatly abandoned them
Stone - I like the 1st picture best with the reflections on the water but the 2nd of the stone urn fits the theme better for me.

Last edited:
Stone - I like the high clarity B&W "HDR" version of that house. Really works for me. I'd be tempted to lose a fair chunk off the bottom as it doesn't answer my standard "what is this adding to the picture" question well enough. I also like the third one as that's an interesting take.

Some good shots for that week! Looking forward to simple :)

Hmmm! I prefer the first Lee - not sure why, maybe symmetry. Nicely taken with soft shading defining the shape.

Back