weekly RG Miller 2016 - 52 Challenge

View attachment 56796 Hi Carl - As the weather was so poor today I thought I might have a go at adding a more dramatic sky to the Asylum shot - pushing the old PS skills along - so thanks for the suggestion!
Whoa! That looks so much more dramatic Richard - the gloomy sky helps to close it down, gives it more atmosphere. Good on you for getting out there. If you're into PS, try playing around with Selective colouring and play around with the white, grey, black or drop a black/white Gradient Map on it and change the blend from Normal to Overlay or Darker and see what happens.

Camouflage - nice spot there, Richard. It's a shame not to be able to get the whole plane in frame, but them's the breaks sometimes! Asking them to move their other exhibits etc. might not have gone down well :) Similar with the lighting, so you've done well in the difficult circumstances!

I would say so Richard - I wouldn't take the chance. Looks a lovely location. Like the bright red splash of that flag against the blue/grey sky. Nicely themed.

Camouflage - nice spot there, Richard. It's a shame not to be able to get the whole plane in frame, but them's the breaks sometimes! Asking them to move their other exhibits etc. might not have gone down well :) Similar with the lighting, so you've done well in the difficult circumstances!

Thanks! Sometimes it is how it is! I like to carry a little compact camera and shoot what I have! The best camera us the one you have with you etc!

I would say so Richard - I wouldn't take the chance. Looks a lovely location. Like the bright red splash of that flag against the blue/grey sky. Nicely themed.

Thanks Carl. It is amazing across there when the light is good. It can be depressingly grey some days though!

Good idea for the theme, like the light on the flag and the public footpath sign in the background

Thanks Chris - I spotted the flag from the bottom of the valley against the sky!

Aha the good old A66. I remember stopping to change our son's nappy at Warcop when he was a few months old. I looked up to find a load of army people up on the hill pointing guns at one another. I suddenly became quite a protective father and hurriedly closed the door again!

Anyway, back to the photo... I think the composition works for the theme and certainly covers the base. The arrangement also works for me, even if it's not necessarily the kind of shot one would take outside of the challenge. The splash of red certainly adds interest - and reminds me I might need to recalibrate my monitor as that's the second red image that looks oversaturated today (my fault not yours, I think...) I would say the image looks very noisy, but that may because you had to push the exposure to recover shadow detail, perhaps??

Love the composition for Danger and that vibrant flad certainly emphasises the point.

The village I grew up in had a practice range as part of a small army camp. It was about 50 meters from the cliff edge and you were often forbidden to walk along the cliff path. I used to worry about any boatmen/fishermen within range :eek:

Hi Richard :)

Sorry a tad behind on your thread (and many others), so picking a couple of shots...

Abandoned - I like the colour version myself, I'm liking the close in and low PoV of the image, rust on a white car always stands out nicely and this one sure is well and truly un-loved :)

Dangerous - I'm liking the red flag myself, a sure sign of danger, a nice cold spot that and not a place to wander off track by the looks of it :)

Morning Richard,

Dangerous - Defiantly fits the theme the red flag stands out and immediately makes you think of danger

Wk8 Topical - In the tradition of " Publish and be Dammed " here is my contribution for the topic this week! I have struggled a tad - but whilst the images are obviously heavily editied I did make the effort of actually getting out and taking the original images of the In and Out signs from the local car park!! No prizes for the Topic!

20160222_1315.jpg

Last edited:
This is going to be talked about endlessly over the next four months and more so very topical Richard. I like the artwork you've made out of it - makes an interesting abstract. (y)

Aha the good old A66. I remember stopping to change our son's nappy at Warcop when he was a few months old. I looked up to find a load of army people up on the hill pointing guns at one another. I suddenly became quite a protective father and hurriedly closed the door again!

Anyway, back to the photo... I think the composition works for the theme and certainly covers the base. The arrangement also works for me, even if it's not necessarily the kind of shot one would take outside of the challenge. The splash of red certainly adds interest - and reminds me I might need to recalibrate my monitor as that's the second red image that looks oversaturated today (my fault not yours, I think...) I would say the image looks very noisy, but that may because you had to push the exposure to recover shadow detail, perhaps??

Do not adjust your set - at least not just on my account - I did up the red to pull it up against the sky to pick up the "danger" element - Noise - I probably over sharpened a little to get the detail of the drystone wall and have over done it a tad! Thanks for your coments!

You wouldn't get much more on theme for Danger than that Richard, I like the composition, you've got it all in, the sign, the flag, and the rather intriguing public footpath sign ...I don't know if I'd feel too happy walking along there, that red flag looks a bit tattered by the wind.

Yes - it certainly looks like they leave it out to deter visitors dosn't it!

Excellent. Great for the theme and nicely composed and shot

Thanks you!

Danger, text is a little OOF but nice red and dramatic weather.

Cheers.

Probably a little camera shake - Blomin' freezing!

Abandoned - mini for me as well poor little car :(.

Camouflage - agreed not the sharpest of images, but bang on for the theme.

Danger - a nice find for the theme.

Thanks PBB

Love the composition for Danger and that vibrant flad certainly emphasises the point.

The village I grew up in had a practice range as part of a small army camp. It was about 50 meters from the cliff edge and you were often forbidden to walk along the cliff path. I used to worry about any boatmen/fishermen within range :eek:

Thanks Bruja ! Yes we have an area along the cast where they test fire tank guns out to sea - cant be a great idea for the fish?

Nicely captured image for Danger. The Red Flag gives a strong contrast against the sky, and placed on the RH 1/3rd makes the composition work.
I kinda wish I could read the words on the sign clearly though.

Thanks - tripod would have helped I guess !

Hi Richard :)

Sorry a tad behind on your thread (and many others), so picking a couple of shots...

Abandoned - I like the colour version myself, I'm liking the close in and low PoV of the image, rust on a white car always stands out nicely and this one sure is well and truly un-loved :)

Dangerous - I'm liking the red flag myself, a sure sign of danger, a nice cold spot that and not a place to wander off track by the looks of it :)

Thanks DK - all comments appreciated! I need to catch up myself!! :rolleyes:

Morning Richard,

Dangerous - Defiantly fits the theme the red flag stands out and immediately makes you think of danger

Happy - lovely family shot and they certainly look happy
Abandoned - two good shots for the theme i like both subjects but the colour mini just pips it for me
Camouflage- works well for theme
Danger spot on for theme shame the sign is out of focus
Topical - certainly is topical good composition piece

At first I wasn't taken by your in/out image at all, but the dazed-and-confusedness of it actually sums up perfectly how I think we'll all feel after three months of being bombarded with opposing messages from each side. So it's really quite apposite!

Not at all Richard ... spot on theme , love the vibrant colours. Maybe crop to take out the oof bit on the left (?!?) but excellent take anyway.

Bang on theme, nice PoV it all works well IMO Richard (y)

Not at all Richard ... spot on theme , love the vibrant colours. Maybe crop to take out the oof bit on the left (?!?) but excellent take anyway.

Nowt wrong with a bit of Spring Richard, we might ge bored with it if all 60 shots are in the same vein (I'm sure they won't be) for this week, but you've got in early enough :)
I like the strong yellows against the black background.

The living world Great take love the vibrant yellow nice dof and very nice black background (y)

Bang on theme, nice PoV it all works well IMO Richard (y)

I don't think that's a cliched photo of a crocus at all, very nicely done

Thanks chaps!!

Hi Richard

Topical - definitely on theme and although the images themselves (in & out) are too small to comment technically on the photos, the image works. It is abstract and slightly unsettling to look at - which adds to it for me.
Living world - nicely shot and definitely on theme, but I'd like to try to squeeze a touch more DOF to get the subject that tiny bit sharper... may have required a different angle to get all of it in the same plane of focus, perhaps? Well lit and a good shot still.

Danger - very well composed, the red stands out nicely against the background

Topical - I like hte idea and the use of the in and out signs but the layer on top with the rotation just makes my head hurt

The living world - i have no idea what that is but i like the yellow agaist the greenary :)

Back