weekly Rob E's TP52 2015 - Alphabet and Sound

Hi

relax - nice shot of Milo there, he's very relaxed

vertical - great idea, I love #2, I'd never have known it was a chopping board (or even wood) if you hadn't said

Hi Rob :)

Elegant - A cracking car you have chosen and a nice low PoV, as said by others shame about the car to the side of it, still... liking the little starburst coming off the front wing and the choice for the theme :)

Watery - Oooo Love this one, really good colour you have chosen to go with the theme, a real bright sparkly bright image from the plain original (y)
Bold - Blimey he is nicely puffed up :D

Vertical - Again really like this one, the perspective correction makes a great deal of difference from the original, nice colours and grainy look :

Hi Rob

Bold ... that's quite extraordinary! Nice detail and yes good thing to include those funny down going branches.

Vertical ... #2 ... detailed wood grain. (y)

Hi Rob

Bold....not sure it says Bold to me but hey....it's sharp & keeps you in the game :)

Relax.....what a lovely looking pooch...has to be a winner for me , well processed , plenty of detail in the fur & good use of DOF to minimise bg distractions :clap:

Bold - a nice image interesting shapes in the branches, but I am not really seeing much boldness sadly.

Relax - great doggy image, nice processing the inclusion of the border around the image works as well.

Vertical - plenty of verticals sadly it doesn't excite me as an image.

#2 Vertical for me, good detail there but I'd like to see just a tad more contrast I think. Well spotted and composed though (y)

Bold: Not really striking a chord with me I'm afraid - sorry.

Relax: A proper relaxed shot. The only thing I would say is the blacks look a little too black for me.

Vertical: I'm a sucker for Macro shots so this one works for me (y)

Elegant - Nice car and the blown out top right corner works well with the shot. The downside is that car next to it which just makes this look like a car park shot unfortunately

Watery - I like this. A very surreal feel to it. I never knew the water at Rhos could be that clear :p

Bold - Nice image of the fluffed up bird. A pity about the bland sky though

Relax - Looks a dog full of character. A nicely suited conversion and I agree with you on the choice of border. It works well with this one

Vertical - I feel #2 suits the theme best capturing the grain well

Firstly many apologies for not commenting before i have missed your thread completely not sure how I love your dog pictures.

So quick catch up A couple of super landscapes for Scenic & Bliss weeks.

You have probably taken 4 pictures that if i had taken i would have them framed and hung. Fragile and Watery both brilliant. The water shot is a great conversion from the original almost gives the impression it was taken from under the water.
And onto the star of the show you pooch what a lovely looking dog the Companions pic taken from a clever perspective with great expressions. But Relax has to be pick of the bunch its brilliant.

And your shot #2 gets my vote of the 2 for Vertical a good idea away from the obvious things for the theme and some nice grain detail standing out.

Hello All,

Thanks for all your feedback again. It's very much appreciated and I try my best to take the points of improvement away and remember them when I approach the next theme. I've had a bit of a catch up again tonight.

Week 11 - Crowd

I had a brilliant shot lined up in my head for this one. I was supporting an apprentice open day in work and had permission to bring my camera along :D....But there was so much interest in our department's job opening, I didn't have a single chance to really leave my post and as a result didn't get the shot of 700+ people in a Bentley showroom....nevermind! Here is the next best thing I have to hand, a photo from a family member's 18th birthday party back in January. I tried my best to capture the atmosphere created by the DJ's lighting setup but I think I can get away with using it for the theme too :)

Week-11-Crowd by rob.evans22, on Flickr

Week 12 - Close Up

The perfect opportunity to try out my purchases from this years Photography show. A light tent and some 85W lights. The subject - a set of limited edition 1:43 scale WRC Subaru Impreza's from the Network Q Rally of 1999. I shot each car individually in the light tent by placing them on a gloss black ceramic wall tile to give the reflection. I approached the shot using the good old macro stacking technique and Zerene Stacker software. They were then cleaned up in Photoshop and brought together.

Week12-Close-Up by rob.evans22, on Flickr

Last edited:
I really like the cars in "close-up" nice colours as reflections (y)

Good stuff all round. ELEGANT is superb and , as mentioned, the burn out adds to the effect.

I often take shots of my 500+ Scalextric collection, usually because I'm trying to sell the bloody things, so I was interested in CLOSE UP. Just a niggle, but maybe the the reflection on the right hand car, which blocks out the interior, could have been avoided?

I like the car shot. Putting the models on the black reflective surface adds a nice touch. I do feel just having one in the picture may have been better - The left hand one being the stronger of the two

I like close up, its the reflection that makes this work, agree that one car would be an added bonus
;)

Fancy seeing 'ewe 'yer, Awesome shots so far mate, particularly fond of companions, relax and your most recent shot for close up,

great composition on the companions and your got the pair of eyes nice and sharp, relax is just what it is and shot with lovely light, close up is cars, i can rarely find critique with cars as I just love the things lol, the only thing is the reflection has some wierd oily effect on the windows doubt it can be helped but i immediately picked it up.

Like all the others but particularly drawn to those, will be keeping this in my watch list :)

Catch up from me
Mouth is a super looking dog yes the backgrounds a bit off putting but not enough to take away from a cracking dog picture
Crowd works maybe a touch of cloning here and there but there is lots to like about it
Close up is pic of the bunch great shot super sharp with excellent reflections you nailed that one (y)

I really like the cars in "close-up" nice colours as reflections (y)

Thanks Cobra :)

I like the Mouth shot ... shame about the BG.

Thanks David, it was the best I could do at the time, late evening and dark outside. If I'd try to use a sheet instead, it would have ended up in a game of tug!

Good stuff all round. ELEGANT is superb and , as mentioned, the burn out adds to the effect.

I often take shots of my 500+ Scalextric collection, usually because I'm trying to sell the bloody things, so I was interested in CLOSE UP. Just a niggle, but maybe the the reflection on the right hand car, which blocks out the interior, could have been avoided?

Hi Bob, Thanks for the feedback, this was the first time using a light tent but I'll take the comments of the window onboard for the next time I shoot some more models :)

Super close up of the cars Rob ...I think the car on the left hand side would work as a stand alone image...a really smashing shot.

I like the car shot. Putting the models on the black reflective surface adds a nice touch. I do feel just having one in the picture may have been better - The left hand one being the stronger of the two

I like close up, its the reflection that makes this work, agree that one car would be an added bonus
;)

Thanks all, as I stitched these together from two separate images so unstitching is no problems :)

Fancy seeing 'ewe 'yer, Awesome shots so far mate, particularly fond of companions, relax and your most recent shot for close up,

great composition on the companions and your got the pair of eyes nice and sharp, relax is just what it is and shot with lovely light, close up is cars, i can rarely find critique with cars as I just love the things lol, the only thing is the reflection has some wierd oily effect on the windows doubt it can be helped but i immediately picked it up.

Like all the others but particularly drawn to those, will be keeping this in my watch list :)

Hows it going pal?? Thanks for the feedback, yeah the oily reflection is just down to the manufacturing process of the model. It's a trait of plastic unfortunately!

Catch up from me
Mouth is a super looking dog yes the backgrounds a bit off putting but not enough to take away from a cracking dog picture
Crowd works maybe a touch of cloning here and there but there is lots to like about it
Close up is pic of the bunch great shot super sharp with excellent reflections you nailed that one (y)

Hi Simon, thanks for the comment, I think I'm going to use the reshoot card on the mouth theme as I've managed to take a slightly more pleasing photo of Milo's mouth in action :D

Week 13 - Machine

I'm currently enjoying a well earned week off work :D We spent yesterday up at the beautiful Llyn Geirionydd situated deep in the hilly forest above Llanrwst in North Wales. I had just put the camera down when I heard this amazing machine come rumbling up the valley. The magnificent RAF Sea King helicopter. A familiar sight to many residents of the North Wales costal regions over the past 60 year which is sadly been withdrawn from service in July this year. I'm really glad I've managed to get some images of her in flight before she is retired. She certainly is a magnificent machine which has saved countless lives both over land and sea.

Week 13 - Machine by rob.evans22, on Flickr

Seaking1 by rob.evans22, on Flickr

Seaking3 by rob.evans22, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Michael, I almost selected that picture to enter for exactly the same reason. I decided to go with the top one in the end because it filled more of the frame. I took 24 shots of her as she passed as it will most probably be the last time I see it flying in service :(

RESHOOT Week 13 - Mouth

While up at the lake, Milo got so excited by the prospect of playing in the water! Even more so when the tennis ball came out :) A perfect opportunity for a reshoot unfolded before my eyes and luckily the camera was to hand. Water Dog by name, Water Dog by nature ;)

RESHOOT-Week-13-Mouth by rob.evans22, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great chopper pics.

#2 (y) ... so sharp against those OOF trees.

Hi, like the middle pic of the machine ones if you have to include the trees there might as well be a lot of them

Great picture of the dog for mouth :clap:

Thanks for your feedback guys :)

Week 14 - Alphabet

I struggled to find anything suitable for this theme....Then we took a trip to Anglesey earlier in the week which happens to have a little town more famously known for its incredibly long name. Lots of letters and almost a full alphabet here

Week-14-Alphabet by rob.evans22, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi, Alphabet, couldn't have a better sign to take a pic of, as you say almost a complete alphabet on its own

sound again a nice idea, I am amazed so many people still have vinyl, that LP looks a little dusty though :p

Rob comment catch up from me
Machine is a super capture framed really well in the oof trees really add to a great shot
Mouth reshoot dog in pic winner every time for me
Alphabet clever and good thinking. Was up that way on holiday last year and never went as i always thought it was in South Wales for some reason i was gutted when i realized.
Sound pic of the bunch for me just enough detail and focus points are spot on where your eyes are drawn to (y)

Rob I really like the alphabet shot. Tried pronouncing it out loud using the bottom line....still sound like a fool :LOL:

Sound. We had similare thoughts. I like yours more for it's simplicity :)

Hiya,

Alphabet - great idea for the theme, made me chuckle

Sound - cracking shot and it fits the theme well :)

Superb shots for MACHINE, The second of the set for me. Sharp and nice framing

ALPHABET - great idea for the theme

SOUND - BW Works well. Maybe a higher pov with more of a reflection would also work?

Cheers

Hi Rob

Close up.....my kinda shot that...cracking reflection i the tile, lovely lighting & love the angle of the lh car :clap: (they really are very sexy cars :kiss:) My only other comment is ,for me anyway,1 car would have worked better & possibly a lower POV ?

Alphabet.....Lord I remember that sign sooooo well....my grandad gave me a pound when I was about 7 to learn how to say that & it's stayed with me ever since :)

Sound.....this is the pick of the bunch for me...love how it's almost in silhuoette, lovely DOF & focus :clap:

Water...lovley idea & even lovelier pooch...reckon that would stand a crop to get closer in to the dog so we can sew the fab detail in his fur...beautifully sharp :clap:

Alphabet ... made me laugh, the 'Way Out' sign too, as in the way to civilisation. ;)

Sound ... nice, and I think you've got the perfect POV. (y)

Back