weekly rpn's 2018 Project 52 - Week 52 SHOWCASE Added (Complete)

Hi Stan

Thick ... fun, colourful image ... sharpe in all the right places. (y)

Abundance ... sure is a lot of URN BRU ... you should send some south of the border, not sure I've ever tasted it.

Thick works well Stan, love the use of Macro!

Abundance works too for the theme!!

Abundance

That's a lot of cans.

Short of ideas and inspirations this week (I blame the weather! :)). So this is one of those PABD (publish and be damned) shot.

You get what you can when you can.

Thick - a good fun shot with the Lego characters, works for me.
Abundance - WOW that is alot of Irn bru in that image, I could do with a few cases of that myself, one of my favourite fizzy drinks. For a PABD it is a good image for the theme, another box ticked for you.

Thanks, Mandy. Glad you like both the Thick and Abundance shots.

Hi Stan

Thick ... fun, colourful image ... sharpe in all the right places. (y)

Abundance ... sure is a lot of URN BRU ... you should send some south of the border, not sure I've ever tasted it.

Thanks, David. I thought they are available in Englandshire!

Hi Stan.
Nice tones, and Irn Bru is a nice drink, disregard the nay sayers :)
I think you let your PABD mindset stop you from playing with the image. I have to agree in it's posted form it's not the best. But have a play with the transform tool, to straighten it all out, pump up the orange, blue and contrast and you can make a decent punchy image out if it. If you like, I could have a go and show you what I mean (and then you might just hate what I did with it, who knows!)

Good shot. An abundance of "girders" in that one (you have to be of a certain age :) ).

Nice image Stan, very sharp and bang on for the theme. it did make me chuckle.

There is a trick you could employ with images like this where there is a tendency for the subject to float on the background.
  • Duplicate the layer.
  • Flip it horizontally and vertically.
  • Position the duplicate layer so that it's below the subject, with the inverted subject just touching.
  • Lower the opacity to say 10%
That gives you a fake but believable reflection and removes any floatyness from the image. Give it a go and see if you like it.

I'm not surprised that someone did this for the theme, I thought exactly the same with the balancing scales, but i've not got any either.

Nicely on theme and good concept Stan

Nice image Stan, very sharp and bang on for the theme. it did make me chuckle.

There is a trick you could employ with images like this where there is a tendency for the subject to float on the background.
  • Duplicate the layer.
  • Flip it horizontally and vertically.
  • Position the duplicate layer so that it's below the subject, with the inverted subject just touching.
  • Lower the opacity to say 10%
That gives you a fake but believable reflection and removes any floatyness from the image. Give it a go and see if you like it.

Thanks, Tim for the detail 'how to' and will give that a go when I have spare minutes.

It’s a good idea but the floaty nature of it lets it down

Cheers, Allan. I'm going to try out the 'fake' reflection idea by Tim and see how it turns out.

I'm not surprised that someone did this for the theme, I thought exactly the same with the balancing scales, but i've not got any either.

Nicely on theme and good concept Stan

Thanks, Ian. I look forward to seeing your version.

Abundance still is a decent photo, and the abundance box is certainly ticked!

Heavy is a clever idea, very well composed and lit!

Last edited:
Cheers, Allan. I'm going to try out the 'fake' reflection idea by Tim and see how it turns out.

Thanks, Ian. I look forward to seeing your version.

I went down a different route in the end, playing a joker ;)

Abundance must have been shot in Scotland, they love the stuff!
Heavy, good idea, but as others have said the scales are to isolated. Be interesting to see Tims idea used and see how the two then comapre.....

Abundance must have been shot in Scotland, they love the stuff!
Heavy, good idea, but as others have said the scales are to isolated. Be interesting to see Tims idea used and see how the two then comapre.....

Thanks, Mark. Irn Bru was advertised as Scotland's other national drink. :) :beer:

Deffo makes a difference, I prefer the bottom one, but the reflection appears a tad lighter than the above, is that right or just an effect of the crop ?

EDIT - maybe an opacity setting ?

Deffo makes a difference, I prefer the bottom one, but the reflection appears a tad lighter than the above, is that right or just an effect of the crop ?

EDIT - maybe an opacity setting ?

Thanks, Mark. I set the opacity to about 12% for the shadow layer and looks a lot stronger in Photoshop. I think Flickr has lost some of them! :D

Not surprising, Flickr isnt quite what it used to be..... Looks a good technique that I hopefully remember next time I do the floating in black thing though, so thanks to @LC2 ....

Guard - good detail and nicely focused
Thick - A fun shot I like they are measuring the thickness.
.Abundance - nice colourful shot and definately an abundance of drink
Heavy - great Idea and well presented, I like the cropped reflection version better.

Last edited:
Nice work on Heavy. 2nd version for me too :)

Good work Stan ... and the feather add a touch of humor. (y)

Abundance - I like that some nice bright colours I also like the angle you've taken the image at.

Heavy - Brilliant idea made me l laugh when I saw it. I prefer the first of the edits with the full reflection

Very nice - abstract - very colourful - looks wet too

Hi Stan really like your take on Wet lovely details in the rain drops on the full size image on Flickr and great colours too.

Back