weekly *sarah* TP52 2014 step and nature added

That's a bit special. Well composed and cracking detail. The reflection of the flower works really well.

I'd have had no compunction about removing the reflection of the window - I gel it would have made for a more balanced photograph. Minor crit and some would cringe at my PPing to this level.

Good show.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, thats what doing the 52 is all about - PP is something I need to practice more - hows this one!!:)

bubble flower 2
by *sarah*., on Flickr

Another stunning submission Sarah. Beautifully lit and well composed with a true black background. (y)

Hi Sarah, bubble is really subtle but catches the reflection of the flower perfectly :clap: excellent lighting of the flower and the BG is perfect
top marks

Another stunning submission Sarah. Beautifully lit and well composed with a true black background. (y)
Thank you Adam!

Hi Sarah, bubble is really subtle but catches the reflection of the flower perfectly :clap: excellent lighting of the flower and the BG is perfect
top marks

Thank you Allan! Black backgrounds are quite eay to achieve - it is a large piece of black card thats held a distance from the subject and its then just a case of trying to keep any stray light off it, I find getting a clean white background more challenging!:)

Excellent - I'm so glad I didn't go down this route now - that is beautiful and so very clever.

Black backgrounds are quite eay to achieve - it is a large piece of black card thats held a distance from the subject and its then just a case of trying to keep any stray light off it, I find getting a clean white background more challenging!:)

We really need to get together on this - I CANNOT do black backgrounds unless of course I U/E the subject :LOL:

Excellent - I'm so glad I didn't go down this route now - that is beautiful and so very clever.
Thank you Sarah!
We really need to get together on this - I CANNOT do black backgrounds unless of course I U/E the subject :LOL:
Your place or mine!!:D when you do your black backgrounds do you have other lighting in the room (window, ceiling light) I find it can help to have the room fairly dark, though for the one today it wasn't too dark!

There are quite a few videos on youtube showing how to do it but I do find this book a big help with lighting, it shows how to light glass on both white/black backgrounds amongst other tricky table top lighting.

Last edited:
I Absolutely love it......one I will certainly aspire too......shots like that spur me on so much....my favourite of the week :)

Thank you Susie, your comment has left me with a beaming smile on my face, its all the comments on here that spur me on to take more. I didn't do the 52 last year and decided to do the POTY instead. My photography slowed down alot and wasn't as creative - the lack of critique on there didn't spur me on!

I like that, clever, skilful and well-executed.

Sarah your bubble image is absolutely stunning I love the idea and after seeing this am beginning to feel out of my depth would look lovely on your wall get a print done. :clap:

Sarah your bubble image is absolutely stunning I love the idea and after seeing this am beginning to feel out of my depth would look lovely on your wall get a print done. :clap:
Thank you, you're not out of your depth, we're all still learning new skills and some are more testing than others! I learnt a lot last time I took part in the 52 and found out that I enjoy table top photography but I'm rubbish at portraits!

This is one of the best entries (if not the best) I've seen for Bubble yet. I love your lighting, the creative thinking of the theme and I like the reflection at the top of the bubble. Only little niggle is I wish we could see more of an edge to the bubble itself.

Great work though I will be keeping my eye on your thread, keep up the good work :)

Hi Sarah, I will just echo what everyone else has said, very creative, unique and ever so well done, good work Missus (as Lynne would say ;)) :D

WOW :notworthy: simply wonderful....i really hope you're going to frame that one ( either of the edits ) :clap:

if that doesn't make Staff photo of the week there's no justice in this world !

This is one of the best entries (if not the best) I've seen for Bubble yet. I love your lighting, the creative thinking of the theme and I like the reflection at the top of the bubble. Only little niggle is I wish we could see more of an edge to the bubble itself.

Great work though I will be keeping my eye on your thread, keep up the good work :)
Thank you Simon, I don't think I'l be going back to it too soon as I'm pulling my hair out today trying to get this weeks right! I think I might be going for my back up!!

WOW :notworthy: simply wonderful....i really hope you're going to frame that one ( either of the edits ) :clap:

if that doesn't make Staff photo of the week there's no justice in this world !
Wow Thank you Lynne, I don't think you'll be saying the same about this weeks, I think I'm going to have to use my back up one instead - It's pushing my patience this week!!:)

Things weren't going as well as I hoped this morning and patience was flying out of the window! I had a break and went back to attack it later and ended with 3:)!

Valentines rose - taken in a darkish room and using an 8sec exposure I gave the smoke a quick fire of flash from a speedlight and then used a torch to light the rose!

Smokey Valentine rose (edit)
by *sarah*., on Flickr

Smokey rose - same exposure as the one above.

Smokey rose (edit)
by *sarah*., on Flickr

Smokey Wine! - this was the one I had originally thought of and the one that took some planning. I hung the glass upside using string, fastened an incense stick to the bottle, used a speedlight to one side and fired away!! Sounds Easy!! (not!!):) Once I managed to get a shot with the smoke in the glass it was on to photoshop. I rotated and cropped, pulled my hair out, inverted, added colour overlays, pulled my hair out, masked the bottle and cloned, I think there was more but its gone into a blur!!:)

Smokey Wine!
by *sarah*., on Flickr

I can see a few things that I might go back and re edit but in case I don't have time I'm putting them up today!

#3 for me. Cracking idea, well composed and nice clean BG. Had a good luck and no crit on this one.

#1 is a good take. Just a little more definition in the smoke as crit.

Cheers.

Blimey what a choice !!!!

Ermmmm.... loving the flowers, especially the first one, it is lit very nicely with some excellent detail, but WOW on the wine bottle and Glass, that is a fantastic image again, very well thought out and executed, and thanks for your guide to how you achieved it (y)

Excellent Sarah, all 3 (y) If I had to choose, No.3, very clever :)

#3 for me. Cracking idea, well composed and nice clean BG. Had a good luck and no crit on this one.

#1 is a good take. Just a little more definition in the smoke as crit.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy, I tried in pp to give more definition but it looked a bit false - I'm not sure if I'm up for a reshoot quite yet!:D

#3 hands down for me. Stunning. Love to know how you did it.
Thanks Simon, I've put a little explanation above the pic, I wish I'd taken a pic of the set up but I'm not going back now!!:)

Blimey what a choice !!!!

Ermmmm.... loving the flowers, especially the first one, it is lit very nicely with some excellent detail, but WOW on the wine bottle and Glass, that is a fantastic image again, very well thought out and executed, and thanks for your guide to how you achieved it (y)
Thanks Dean, I liked the flowers (but I'm going through a flower phase - and it was a good excuse to treat myself) but am more pleased with the glass just because I learnt a lot of new things from it!:D

Excellent Sarah, all 3 (y) If I had to choose, No.3, very clever :)
Thank you Phil, I had the idea but putting it into practice was another thing - I'm hoping for something more straight forward next week!:)

Back