Line ~ For a rush picture thats excellent one of my favs of that week
Play ~ Nice idea all well shot
Close ~ #3 is my fav

Right catch up time

Odd ~ loved the colours you have captured
Line ~ For a rush picture thats excellent one of my favs of that week
Play ~ Nice idea all well shot
Close ~ #3 is my fav
Thank you for stopping by and commenting Simon! I think I'll have to take more rush shots!!:) Thanks

Last edited:
Like the triptych idea very good, not sure on the focus of the bottom RH one though I would have gone more central the other 2 spot on.(y)

#1 for the take on the theme though I prefer #3 as an image. Nice shades (y)

Hi Sarah, 1 and 3 for me like the play on words in 1 and 2 i love the colour and composition
have to disagree with Nathalie about the exposure i don't think you could lighten it any more without blowing it out and ruining the colour

Number 3 for me too. Lovely soft tones and nice abstract composition. I like it a lot!

Definitely #3 for me. I like the colour variation, the strong lines of the petals and the abstract feel to it. Very Freda Kahlo! Excellent work.

Nice set of images and good thinking about close and knit for #1. I like #2 but feel #3 is my favourite. Outside the 52, it's a bit of a signature shot for you, so well done for including it in the theme. I've since seen the 50 shades edited version of this and the exposure is much improved.

preference for the middle one - the white flower for me, although there's definately something about the last, with the range of "pink" tones, and the stretching out of the petal, with focus beautifully on the front edge of it.

The figures in the first don;t add, the closeness of the shot just brings out the lack of detail in them. (not your fault though)

Hi Sarah

Close....Close knit family is a good fun image with a great title but the winner by a country mile for me is the Gerbera...exquisite framing , superb color & DOF...that needs framing :clap::clap:

Play.....another one here who's never heard of mancala...all crit's been mentioned so I won't bore :)

Close - not keen on the family one sorry but love 2 and 3. With 2 like the heart shaped centre plus the detail of the petals and with three the colour does it for me wonder what 2 would look the if it was the colour of 3. :thinking:

Hi Sarah
Play - good subject and all 3 shots have their merits. But i would like to see the same dof in each and, for me , I wold have the long one at the bottom with the other 2 on top, for the 'strength' of the image

Close - all 3 have merit in their own right and are diff to each other - therefore difficulty in choosing. #1 is very humorous with your own(?) knitting as a base and some nice colours in the models. tend to agree that the lack of detail in their faces pulls the image down a bit. #2 - lovely colour and comp. Good lighting. #3 beautiful colours and a very arty abstract treatment - to be perfect the very, very small 'bits' sticking up in middle and towards end would need to be removed and then ready for the wall!
Final comment relating to all 3 is that the crops have been very well judged for the subjects. (y)

1. Close but not my sort of picture.
2. Lovely shot, lots of detail and shades.
3. Really lovely shot, the colours and the shapes are great.

Hi Sarah

Close....Close knit family is a good fun image with a great title but the winner by a country mile for me is the Gerbera...exquisite framing , superb color & DOF...that needs framing :clap::clap:

Play.....another one here who's never heard of mancala...all crit's been mentioned so I won't bore :)
Says it all :clap:

The Gerbera image is my favourite of the 'Close' theme images. Love the soft colour.

I like the pastel colours and abstract feel of #3, but #1 edges it for me. It's a nice simple idea and well composed.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy!

Hi Sarah,
Close.... I love the idea of #1 but my vote is for#3 so delicate (y)

Thank you!

Like the triptych idea very good, not sure on the focus of the bottom RH one though I would have gone more central the other 2 spot on.(y)

#1 for the take on the theme though I prefer #3 as an image. Nice shades (y)

Thank you!

Hi Sarah, 1 and 3 for me like the play on words in 1 and 2 i love the colour and composition
have to disagree with Nathalie about the exposure i don't think you could lighten it any more without blowing it out and ruining the colour

Thank you, I've had a play with the exposure but I'm not sure as it does start to blow out in places!

Number 3 for me too. Lovely soft tones and nice abstract composition. I like it a lot!

Thank you!
Definitely #3 for me. I like the colour variation, the strong lines of the petals and the abstract feel to it. Very Freda Kahlo! Excellent work.

Thank you, I think #3 is def the winner!

Nice set of images and good thinking about close and knit for #1. I like #2 but feel #3 is my favourite. Outside the 52, it's a bit of a signature shot for you, so well done for including it in the theme. I've since seen the 50 shades edited version of this and the exposure is much improved.

Thank you Peter and thank you for buying me the flowers!!

preference for the middle one - the white flower for me, although there's definately something about the last, with the range of "pink" tones, and the stretching out of the petal, with focus beautifully on the front edge of it.

The figures in the first don;t add, the closeness of the shot just brings out the lack of detail in them. (not your fault though)

Thank you Graham!

Hi Sarah

Thank you Lynne!

Close - not keen on the family one sorry but love 2 and 3. With 2 like the heart shaped centre plus the detail of the petals and with three the colour does it for me wonder what 2 would look the if it was the colour of 3. :thinking:

Thank you!

Hi Sarah - Great triptych - lovely colours. For close, No 1 doesn't do anything for me at all, was undecided about 2 or 3, but your final re-working of 3 takes the biscuit

Thank you Mike!

Oooo look another 3 :)

Again some great pictures, As I scan down them I like the characters on the carpet, but the 1st flower pic beats it for me, but then the second... Damn I REALLY like that, I love how you have lit that and picked out that one petal :clap:

Thank you, the flowers were all done with natural lighting which was fading quickly and gave long exposures!

Hi Sarah
Play - good subject and all 3 shots have their merits. But i would like to see the same dof in each and, for me , I wold have the long one at the bottom with the other 2 on top, for the 'strength' of the image

Close - all 3 have merit in their own right and are diff to each other - therefore difficulty in choosing. #1 is very humorous with your own(?) knitting as a base and some nice colours in the models. tend to agree that the lack of detail in their faces pulls the image down a bit. #2 - lovely colour and comp. Good lighting. #3 beautiful colours and a very arty abstract treatment - to be perfect the very, very small 'bits' sticking up in middle and towards end would need to be removed and then ready for the wall!
Final comment relating to all 3 is that the crops have been very well judged for the subjects. (y)

Thank you Alan, I noticed the little bits sticking up after posting and will go back to edit as they annoy me now!:)

1. Close but not my sort of picture.
2. Lovely shot, lots of detail and shades.
3. Really lovely shot, the colours and the shapes are great.

Thank you Kev!

Number 3, wow, nothing else to say (y)

Thank you Mark!

Thank you!

I quite like the slightly darker #2. It's a great photo - it's sharp but smooth.

Thank you!

Close: No three is great! the soft pastel tones, shallow DOF and composition compliment the floral subject perfectly. Well done!

Thank you!:)

Says it all :clap:

Thank you!:)

The Gerbera image is my favourite of the 'Close' theme images. Love the soft colour.

Thank you Diane, I like your avatar as well!:)

Sorry I've not been around this week to comment - I've been laid up with a nasty bug but will try and catch up today!

Heres my entry for Bubble!! I decided to keep with my flowers this week while they're still alive and spent ages tryig to get a bubble to sit on the petals! I used one flash held up near to the subject. I found that by putting lots of bubble mixture on the flower stopped the stamens from popping the bubble straight away, I then used a straw to blow more mixture onto the flower to make the bubble - it took lots of attempts to get a bubble and to get the shot quickly before it popped!

bubble

bubble flower
by *sarah*., on Flickr

Last edited:
sounds like you've had just about as many frustrations as me this week!!

But well worth it to get a shot like that. Love the black BG to really bring out the colour (the B&W on your flickr is much less nice).

Super job getting the reflection of the flower in the top of the bubble.

:clap:

Excellent Sarah (y), well done, it was worth the effort, reflection is stunning :clap: ..........and I thought I was trying for the impossible!

sounds like you've had just about as many frustrations as me this week!!

But well worth it to get a shot like that. Love the black BG to really bring out the colour (the B&W on your flickr is much less nice).

Super job getting the reflection of the flower in the top of the bubble.

:clap:
Thank you Graham, bubbles are very frustrating but I was determined to get this and not get beaten by a little bubble!!:) I agree about the bw one I don't even know why I did it!!

That's a bit special. Well composed and cracking detail. The reflection of the flower works really well.

I'd have had no compunction about removing the reflection of the window - I gel it would have made for a more balanced photograph. Minor crit and some would cringe at my PPing to this level.

Good show.

Cheers.

Back