weekly Seaodysseys 52 for 2021 (Critique Welcome) Week 51 & 52

Definitely Dirty Pete. :D

That does look very dirty, liking the puddles in this sloppy dirty mess.
That might win the tick for the dirtiest shot so far!!

Things me of the mud, glorious mud song...
Dirty
Muddy, muddy, muddy.
Pretty common at this time of year.
looks to be about as low a perspective as you'd want to get in those conditions. :runaway:
Yup, nice and dirty and certainly filling the frame, good job.
Ticks the dirty box!
Looks like most of my walking options these days. Definitely fits the theme.
Definitely Dirty Pete. :D
Muddy, wet and dirty so spot on for the theme :)
Proper captures the theme. Nice photo.
very muddy indeed bit like the pathways I was walking a couple of weeks ago.
Mud, mud gorgeous mud. Spot on theme.

Thank you all for the comments.

Pete

Your rock has great patterns which are well exposed in the image. Did you try any straight on, the angled corner looks quite interesting.

Your rock has great patterns which are well exposed in the image. Did you try any straight on, the angled corner looks quite interesting.

Thanks Stuart, I did but it did not look quite as good. The angle works better that the pattern.

Pete

Nice lump of rock, I do like the offset composition and the snow gives a great background. I also like the various textures and strata in the stone - nice job.

The angle has really brought out the textures in both the snow and the stone. Possibly an option for a B&W conversion? The angles and graphic lines are really rather nice.

Nicely done rock - big canvas in a coffee shop job!

Rock
That's an interestingly patterned stone. It would be interesting to know what it's makeup is.

Really nice strata running through the rock Pete.

nice interesting rock and your right the snow background sets it off nicely great choice

Rock
That's an interestingly patterned stone. It would be interesting to know what it's makeup is.
Hi Dominic

The rocks come from between West quantoxhead to Kilve in Somerset, so should contain Psiloceras planorbis succeeded by a thick sequence of shales with a few thin limestones containing Coroniceras.

Thank you Google.

Pete

Nice lump of rock, I do like the offset composition and the snow gives a great background. I also like the various textures and strata in the stone - nice job.
The angle has really brought out the textures in both the snow and the stone. Possibly an option for a B&W conversion? The angles and graphic lines are really rather nice.
Super looking rock/stone, wet shine, natural lighting ... love it a lot.
Nicely done rock - big canvas in a coffee shop job!
Really nice strata running through the rock Pete.
nice interesting rock and your right the snow background sets it off nicely great choice
Contrast between the rock and snow is great. Very well composed too.

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Pete

Nice detail in the rock, i like the lines of the lighter colour minerals - Quartz ?? they run down the length of the rock so your eye follows them nicely (y)

Last edited:
Interesting rock. I can't work out it's size.. it could be tiny, huge or middling :)

Whilst not knowing the actual conditions you took the shot in I would have been tempted to play with the levels a bit to whiten the whites.
That said, the lack of shadow perhaps indicates it was overcast so the slightly grey whites could easily be correct.

Nice detail in the rock, i like the lines of the lighter colour minerals - Quartz ?? they run down the length of the rock so your eye follows them nicely (y)

Thank You Simon
Interesting rock. I can't work out it's size.. it could be tiny, huge or middling :)

Hi Helen

It was not Tiny, nor is it huge, it must ne middling, about 10inches across.
Whilst not knowing the actual conditions you took the shot in I would have been tempted to play with the levels a bit to whiten the whites.
That said, the lack of shadow perhaps indicates it was overcast so the slightly grey whites could easily be correct.

Hi Tim
The Snow was melting and as you say it was overcast (When has it not been lately), also it was not that thick so gray was the correct cast, Thanks for casting a critical eye over it.

Pete

Hey Pete, I like the upward PoV on the barbed fence tops, cables and stuff under the perfect sky. But the lower wall bit grounds it.

As David above, I like the pov and composition. I particularly like the leading lines and graphical look.

It makes me feel penned in, I like that.
The hard, low light on the verticals really makes it pop.

Tall
Good pov, light and sky. It is always going to be difficult to get a clean shot of something like this.

Everything about it says "tall" nice PoV Pete.

Tall - the POV works well with the overhead lines (ohl) nicely aligned behind. The ohl structures provide great geometric image opportunities, I'm fortunate that I can get images from the other side of the fence on occasions at work

Well composed and fits the theme nicely. Can't help feeling tempted to take some secateurs to the bramble though :)

Nice lines!
Hey Pete, I like the upward PoV on the barbed fence tops, cables and stuff under the perfect sky. But the lower wall bit grounds it.
As David above, I like the pov and composition. I particularly like the leading lines and graphical look.
Lots of lines and angles. Works well with the urban elements of the shot.
Yes definitely lots of interest in there, I think a bit less, or no wall at all would maybe emphasise the height. Super sky, it really complements the shot.
It makes me feel penned in, I like that.
The hard, low light on the verticals really makes it pop.
Tall
Good pov, light and sky. It is always going to be difficult to get a clean shot of something like this.
Everything about it says "tall" nice PoV Pete.
Tall - the POV works well with the overhead lines (ohl) nicely aligned behind. The ohl structures provide great geometric image opportunities, I'm fortunate that I can get images from the other side of the fence on occasions at work
Well composed and fits the theme nicely. Can't help feeling tempted to take some secateurs to the bramble though :)
Definitely tall! A nice picture - strong composition and lines for a graphical image.

Thank you all for your comments.
I knew it would work as soon as I saw it.
Could not do much with the wall as there was not much room and giving the camera more angle just ment more sky over the top of the piccy.

Thanks

Pete.

Week05 Snapper Choice

This is always a difficult one, so I decided on a small still life using what equipment and bits and bobs I had, which is not much at the moment.

TP365 2021 Week5 Snappers Choice by Peter, on Flickr

Some may say it's a bit dark, I have 2 different monitors, on the better one it looks ok, and a bit dark on the older, cheaper monitor.

Thanks for viewing.
Pete

Back