weekly SiblingChris' 52 in 2013

Good work on space Chris(y)
Another who went the lego route too :LOL:

It is certainly bang on theme good composition with something happening in the scene for the viewer to look around.

Minor crit, I feel the red figure a little distracting as he is oof.
He obscures the flag a little too. I feel the image would benefit from his removal or perhaps further back on the same focal plane as the others. Iain

He obscures the flag a little too. I feel the image would benefit from his removal or perhaps further back on the same focal plane as the others. Iain

This. Nice bright colours, though, and I didn't notice the camp spaceman until it was pointed out. If you meant to do this...:clap:

Cheers.

blakester said:

Hmmm...well I did that on purpose tbh.
Without it the whole thing felt a bit flat to me, so I was trying to give it a bit more of a sense of depth.....the focus point was on the guy at the back in the space ship
I started by trying to get it all in focus but that close, even at the smallest aperture, the DoF of the 35mm is still really quite shallow

Hi Chris. Firstly I'd like to apologise for having not popped in before now, just very little time on my hands this year. But I saw your space shot and had to comment!
Sin, this made me chuckle. The shallow DOF really focuses the eye and makes what could be quite a boring view interesting!

Season, I prefer the cropped version of the icicle, lovely detail.

Gravity, no idea how you did it but it looks superb to me :clap:

Wild, not sure about the reflections in general here, awkward beggars those reflective surfaces. Good choice of music though (y)

Space, love it. Loving the little black character with the camp walk. I would like to see the red guy in flight in focus, but only a minor point!

Hd fun putting it together and I even followed some of the original instructions and don't have any pieces missing...considering this stuff is probably about 28 years old I was quite chuffed about that :)

Somewhere buried in my garage is an original 80's box kit of space Lego. The full sized space station ones with all the instructions. I was toying with the idea of building it for this weeks theme when I saw this! I may have to go digging for it next week if I don't get my shot this weekend.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane though, I loved my space Lego.

The goblin said:
Somewhere buried in my garage is an original 80's box kit of space Lego. The full sized space station ones with all the instructions. I was toying with the idea of building it for this weeks theme when I saw this! I may have to go digging for it next week if I don't get my shot this weekend.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane though, I loved my space Lego.

Yes I have that too. Spent more time with the Lego than I did the camera this week :)

I like that a lot, the DOF and lighting is spot on for me. Probably my laptop screen, but the black background might be a bit blotchy in places.

I like that a lot, the DOF and lighting is spot on for me. Probably my laptop screen, but the black background might be a bit blotchy in places.

No I think you are right
I used a black paper background...all the bits of dust attracted to it showed up.
When I took the background shot it was somehow lit slightly differently so as I cloned out the things I had the Lego pieces balanced on that's how it ended up

I tried to use the healing brush to fix the worst bits, but I do know at different angles to my monitor I could see this too....surprised you are the first to say anything to be honest :)

Season.....the first one fits the theme very well, the second too although you could have used it for gravity, I prefer the portrait version of the icicle.

Gravity......interesting take on the theme, without looking too close at the PP for levitation it comes off really well.

Wild..........You own an Erasure CD :puke: that is all....

Space.........I really need to find an excuse to buy some lego, as for the camp spaceman he must be listening to the Erasure CD :coat:

(y)

Nice idea, love Lego! I'm hoping to use mine later in the year for sure!
I quite like the OOF red one, although I think I can see where the edit was made on the grey underneath? I can see an area of the grey surface just below the red guy that looks a little different in colour - bit distracting, but I agree with the comment that the OOF works!
Nice shot! (y)

Nice idea, love Lego! I'm hoping to use mine later in the year for sure!
I quite like the OOF red one, although I think I can see where the edit was made on the grey underneath? I can see an area of the grey surface just below the red guy that looks a little different in colour - bit distracting, but I agree with the comment that the OOF works!
Nice shot! (y)

Thanks for the comments
Yes, as per my earlier note about the black background
Slightly different light /shadow between the shots also visible on the base as you say

If anyone cares to share some tips on how to selectively sort that out in pp rather than just pointing it out, that would be a great help thanks! :) :thinking:

Slightly different light /shadow between the shots also visible on the base as you say

If anyone cares to share some tips on how to selectively sort that out in pp rather than just pointing it out, that would be a great help thanks! :) :thinking:

It's not "that" bad tbh - I had trouble seeing it in order to select it......

If you select just the area you want to change with probably the polygonal lassoo tool for this as it's straight edges, adjust the feathering so you get a smoother transition between the selected and unselected parts.

You make the selection so you only change the areas you want to btw.

You just need to lighten the area under the red man by a tiny amount, I found the "dodge" tool set to midtones and about 3% to work, a nice large soft brush and just paint over in 3 or 4 passes until you have a match.

8454821848df6a04fd57cco.jpg

More info here, Don;t take offense at the "dummies" reference. ;)

Oh - and the "burn" tool in the same way will take down any blotches on the black background - I used that quite a bit on my background for my Buzz Lightyear! (original here).

Last edited:
I know this isn;t exactly original but after a few tries, I've settled on this
Adjusted the tones to take the bulk of the colour out and then up the red back up. Pretty sure folk will say I should have done it again without the car, but I sort of like it in there personally...

Work by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:
yeah - liking the edit - I think without the car definately works. Good job with the cloning, you'd never know something had been there!

Also liking the halfway to selective colour effect you've achieved, really draws attention to the sign, and the fact that the 'work' is round the corner, works really well. (y)

yeah - liking the edit - I think without the car definately works. Good job with the cloning, you'd never know something had been there!

Also liking the halfway to selective colour effect you've achieved, really draws attention to the sign, and the fact that the 'work' is round the corner, works really well. (y)

Thanks. I tried cloning but it didn't work out too well...
In the end I duplicated in another layer and slid the whole image to the left at an angle, so the bushes to the right then covered the area where the car was, then I used a feathered brush to erase out the rest of the layer and blend it in with the original behind

I took another shot of the work round the corner, which is on my Flickr account, but I preferred this as my entry...scratching my head over "gluttony" now :)

Last edited:
I really like the selective coloring of this image. Nice and sharp focus and the sign. So it seems work is just always around the corner. The edit also is miles better, good effort on the cloning out of the car.

Selective colour like HDR gets a bad rap, but sometimes it works, and I think it does here. Much prefer it sans car.

Liking the desaturated feel to this one. The composition is OK, but I think it might benefit from a crop to just below the branches?

Cheers.

As said, nice colours but needs something doing with the blackness of the top of the bush. Either lightening to bring out more detail or cropping out.

As said, nice colours but needs something doing with the blackness of the top of the bush. Either lightening to bring out more detail or cropping out.

I think the comment was about cropping the branches out, but as for the "blackness" I actually chose to do that in pp with a graduated filter effect...personally I'm ok with it, but each to their own I suppose! :)

As others have pointed out, the flat darkness at the upper left is a bit distracting. On theme for me though, and the processing makes it work really well.

ok, so for me this was an interesting one, maybe more so than for folk looking at it!

it took a while to settle on what to photograph, but as biscuits seem to disappear at a rate of knots in our house, there was really only one choice!

why is this interesting? well I took the photo in a darkened room and created my own little light box, or rather "dark box" from stuff I had lying around...a large cardboard box and a roll of black poster backing paper

there is no flash used in this photo, I couldn't really get it right as it reflected off the inside of the biscuit tin too much (and I only have the built-in flash on my D7k). as the room was not totally dark, exposure was still less than 2s

considering my "McGyver-ing" I'm pretty happy how this turned out.

Week 7 - Gluttony by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:
Like this, and with all the detail given about the shot its has great detail with sharp focus

Good composition, excellent detail and focus, with nice colour contrasts. Good job!

It was the lighting that caught my eye. Never easy with metal - blooming reflections :bat:

I like the perspective and depth, the muted blue works well also.

Crit, well, I'm not sure the empty packet adds, I'd prefer a more minimal photograph with the packet out. None the less, good photograph.

Cheers.

nice composition and the lighting works its a nice exposure which is surprising with what you say good work all round

Back