weekly SiblingChris' 52 in 2014 (Week 21 and 22 added)

I hope the dog went the right way :D Yep, common sense, sense of danger works well Chris (y) Prefer the 1st one composition wise, sign is better positioned :)

Hi, First pic is better than the second as you have got the sign blocking off the end of the coastline,
works for sense of danger and its a lovely dog

Hi Chris

#1 for me ,the Dog showing common sense works great :) Not sure but maybe could do with more space to the lhs & lose a little from the rhs ?

I agree.
In the edit I had the same thought, but I composed the shot working on rule of two thirds placing the subject to the left and therefore leaving no way to then crop it like that later. Problem is if I composed it differently there would have been a dirty great stinking modern pier building to the left taking over!

Hi, First pic is better than the second as you have got the sign blocking off the end of the coastline,
works for sense of danger and its a lovely dog

Thanks. Yeah I hadn't spotted that but I agree. It's a shame the sun hadn't come out for the first one like it did in the second, because I feel the light is much better and warmed the whole thing up a but.....I did try to cook it a bit in pp, but didn't like the result, so a slight gradient blue skylight filter effect was all I added

Ok I've got my Ending shot in the bag, but first I'm just going back a couple of weeks and slotting in Mineral. At the time I was somewhat uninspired, but the bright sunny afternoon presented an opportunity to get something sorted

...before anyone says my highlights are blown, that was actually my intention on this shot to have the sun blazing and creating a bit of lens flare

Week 6 - Mineral
by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Chris

blown highlights.....not sure why we get so hung up on these when looking at images with sky/sun in them....sometimes the sky really is THAT bright that it blows the clouds...we just take the pictures ! Nice slightly different pOV that works for me , focused ,sharp....like the flare on the side of the bottle (y) just not so sure on the bit to the top lhs of the bottle...the greeny streak coming in to the writing :thinking:

Hi Chris

blown highlights.....not sure why we get so hung up on these when looking at images with sky/sun in them....sometimes the sky really is THAT bright that it blows the clouds...we just take the pictures ! Nice slightly different pOV that works for me , focused ,sharp....like the flare on the side of the bottle (y) just not so sure on the bit to the top lhs of the bottle...the greeny streak coming in to the writing :thinking:

Well that green just came out a little more as I pushed up the saturation a tad.... I think it must have just been the light coming through the label. I certainly didn't make it that way on purpose....if it wasn't green then what? And how would I change it?

I looked back across all the different shots I took for this and each one of them has the green flare before I even edit them. b&w seems about the only thing that successfully removes the green without other parts of the image starting to look unnatural, but I'd rather stick with the blue sky :)

Last edited:
A different point of view on the few bottles of Mineral water that have been used in this theme. I know you said it was your intention to have the sun shining through the bottle. But I have to be truthful and say that the blown section spoils the image for me :(. But it does fit the theme and I do get what your trying to achieve just isn't for me.

Mineral, has a very vibrant feel to it with The colours and lens flare. Pity about the clipped bottom.

Cheers.
It's not actually clipped but cropped right along the edge. I had it slightly overhanging on a window sill ;)
Any lower and the sill would have been in the frame and that didn't really work either

Last edited:
I

It's not actually clipped but cropped right along the edge. I had it slightly overhanging on a window sill ;)
Any lower and the sill would have been in the frame and that didn't really work either

Fair point. I do sometimes struggle with clipped and cropped. Clipped = not good and cropped is purposeful :thinking:

Cheers.

Fair point. I do sometimes struggle with clipped and cropped. Clipped = not good and cropped is purposeful :thinking:

Cheers.

Yeah...granted your point is still the same. I get what you are saying :)
but not sure how to do much else unless I could have somehow suspended the bottle or held it from the side and come up with a composite?....

Just to echo what's been said, the green flare, pov, good sky, I like it, (y)

This one has been sat in camera for a while. I straggled greatly with the lighting on this, given that almost all lighting ended up with a really shiny area on the string somewhere or other.
So this is the best of them. I've been backward and forward over whether to rotate it and crop such that the shadow of the string goes straight into the top left corner, but couldn't really make my mind up over it, so left it as shot in the end.

it's the ball end of a bass guitar string by the way :)

Week 8 - Ending by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:
Lighting can be a bugger with shiny objects so you've done well there. Might have worked better with a different BG. I agree that a crop with the shadow going out of the top LH corner as this will also lose the darkness towards the top of the BG.

Sharp, crisp and well-lit. I like the the item and the shadow on the grained surface. There is nothing I can pick holes in with this photograph -- and believe me, as with everyone else's, I always try. Excellent

I like the way the shadow seems to fall at an impossible angle and the contrast between the dark shadow and shiny metal. Like the second crop best!

Back