weekly SiblingChris' 52 in 2014 (Week 21 and 22 added)

Mineral - I know you wanted a blown sky but I'm afraid this and the flare don't help the image. I'm with Andy on the clip/crop debate I'm afraid.

Ending - This I feel is a different class especially the crop with the shadow coming from the corner. The image is so simple but this is the beauty of it. Very nice.

OK, well I'm still here....just about! I set off OK this year, then quickly stalled, but hopefully just temporarily.

So for Positive, I was trying desperately not to reach for the battery draw, but in the end I gave in.

Positive spoke to me as a theme in terms of having a positive outlook on life....don't worry, be happy, every little thing is gonna be alright....so I mixed this thought in with the battery idea for a slightly different take on things.

OK, so not the best photo in the world, but as a learning exercise with my speedlight flash I achieved what I set out to do. Lit from the right and slightly in front, diffused flash pointing slightly towards the camera, causing some shadow on the object, but enough light then reflected back (from a white sheet) so the centre area behind the front row of batteries was not dark.
Need to get that focus point and DoF correct next time though....Don't worry :)

Week 9 - Positive
by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Hi Chris :)

Not sure on this one Chris, my OCD wants to even up the batteries and twist them all one way or another :D

Then I was going to mention the shadows, until I read that you put them there on purpose, so am going to say well done with the off camera flash, I know it's hard to get used to and get right, so this exercise has achieved your aim - well done mate (y)

thanks
yes I know about the batteries lining up ;) I went so far and couldn't be bothered, because really the purpose of this was for me starting to learn what to do with the flash, which I used with my D7K in commander mode.....although looking back I now see the built-in flash fired also which wasn't really my intention, so I need to go back and see how to do that on the camera settings.

That's a lovely picture of the internals of a clock. Sharp and interesting. The only thing that let's it down is the fault of the manufacturer and nothing you could do about it, they left a big black gap at the bottom, the buggers. I suppose you could have cropped in and lost some of the clock surround but I don't think that would work; all-in-all, I like it the way it is. Nice photograph.

Got to get my thinking hat on for swirl :)

oops - I thought this was your swirl shot!!

works well enough for time too, liking the movement in the pendulum, plenty of interesting shapes within it too, and lovely detail in the grain of the wood and the crack at the top.

Oh, guitar string edit with the shadow coming out the corner is lovely too.

Thanks everyone :)

Swirl.....how I missed that I've no idea!...never mind, I'm not going to do a reshoot, definitely want to find something different.
I'd like to start doing some more outside images of people and stuff, but don't fell themes worked in my favour for that yet..

Positive - I feel the lop left battery could do with come light on it but using this as an exercise in learning to use OCF is a really good idea. You get practice and feedback so well done

Time - I like this one. The blurring of the mechanism adds to the picture nicely.

Bugger, just delete all my comments!!

In brief...Positive, on theme, but just batteries...that said, nice lighting and I like shadows.

Time, good detail and tones.

Swirl....waiting :)

Cheers.

Hi Chris
positive... clever idea works well, pity there were no red batteries in the mouth but i like it (y)

Time... fir like everyone says for swirl too nice and sharp, maybe if you could get a bit more light at the bottom i think there might be something there to fill the gap (y)

Hi Chris
positive... clever idea works well, pity there were no red batteries in the mouth but i like it (y)

Time... fir like everyone says for swirl too nice and sharp, maybe if you could get a bit more light at the bottom i think there might be something there to fill the gap (y)

Thanks. There wasn't anything of interest in the dark area at the bottom, it's just an empty space. The inside is painted black, possibly some sort of oil or dye....because it was a little dusty and I went in with a damp cloth to clean it before I took the photo and it came out like I had dipped it in a bucket of black ink!

Positive is a cracker. Lighting a side, it works well and brings two interpretations to the table.

As for time, I like! I would be tempted to have dropped the bottom bit off the photo and concentrated more on the workings. This could be a prime candidate for a HDR bracketed shot. Great shot!

Positive is a cracker. Lighting a side, it works well and brings two interpretations to the table.

As for time, I like! I would be tempted to have dropped the bottom bit off the photo and concentrated more on the workings. This could be a prime candidate for a HDR bracketed shot. Great shot!

It was a HDR bracketed shot ;)

I did darken the empty area at the bottom inside of the clock afterwards though

Hi Chris

Time....I absolutely love that image , it looks kinda olde worlde & the pp suits it to a tee....plenty of detail , well lit ...one of your best so far this year IMHO :clap:

Positive - lots of positives in this, but lighting looks dull and colours flat.

Time - very nice image, Chris. Like the colour contrast between the parts and the wooden clock-case, and the blurred pendulum makes it for me.

Positive - very difficult to keep away from the battery drawer as you say :rolleyes: Needs some tidying up of batteries but as an exercise in lighting it is useful
Time - good idea , well handled. You have captured good detail , patina, grain and colour . The blurred pendulum is a good bonus

Sorry I have been AWOL recently. I;ve still had my camera in hand/mind though and so starts a bit of a mega catch up.

As I have not been around here much and not commented in what seems like ages, I don't expect everyone to comment on everything, but one or two might be nice :)

Week 11 - Swirl
by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:
Action well composed and great dof. Might be better if one string was vibrating or showing movement.
Mono g- good take on the theme especially with just one rail being visible. Great composition too.

Hi Chris......well that was a marathon.....well done for catching up :)
The two that stand out for me are Steps and Nature .... I love the the second steps one .... the aspect, the position of the bicycle and the colour, it looks almost unreal....like a painting.
Of the three blossom pics I like the first one the best....the dof and the colour of the blossom against the deep blue sky looks stunning. The softer images are nice, but for me they lack the wow of the first one.

Hi Chris

phew....too many !

The stand out ones for me....

Steps....both are really eye catching , have an almost Painterly look to them and I could see them hanging on the wall of a little rustic french cafe :clap:

Action...is it a guitar ? whats the link with the rule ? Like it anyway for it's sharpness & detail (y)

Hi Chris

phew....too many !

The stand out ones for me....

Steps....both are really eye catching , have an almost Painterly look to them and I could see them hanging on the wall of a little rustic french cafe :clap:

Action...is it a guitar ? whats the link with the rule ? Like it anyway for it's sharpness & detail (y)

Thanks. It's a bass guitar....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_(music)

Hi, Chris and welcome back.

Of the set I like the processing on Steps 2 and the composition.

Mono works well, especially with they eye contact from the gal on the phone.

Cheers.

Hi, Chris and welcome back.

Of the set I like the processing on Steps 2 and the composition.

Mono works well, especially with they eye contact from the gal on the phone.

Cheers.

LOL. She appeared to be an air stewardess and got conscious of me stood there with my camera and was stepping back to hide behind the column....hence with the little movement she looks a tad out of focus ;)

Back