Simon's 52 in 2022

Yep - horn of shoe well instrumented. Look slovely!

Week 35 - Snapper's Choice

With sorting stuff out on return from holiday, and a ropey forecast the next few days, there's limited opportunity for getting a shot in in the next day or two. I've therefore picked a couple of shots from our last full day in Corfu last week (Thursday, so sneaks into the correct timeline). Wish I was back there to be honest.....

This iPhone 13 Pro shop of the bench is one of a few benches on a headland close to our resort. It's there for the glorious sunsets out over the Ionian Sea. Unfortunately, the night we ent up there it was cloudy! However, I think both the lessening light with some hint of sun somewhere makes for a very evocative shot, and is just begging for someone to sit, and take a few minutes contemplating life, the universe and everything in this peaceful spot. This makes it my chosen shot this week.

Ionian view by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

There's a lovely beach at our resort, but it's challenging to get a really good shot because of the telegraph poles and telephone and electricity wires that run along the length of the beach. This is a close crop from my Sony RX100vi in early morning light

Ag Georgios beach early morning by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Two good shots Simon. I think that you've chosen the right one. The softness of the light as it fades in the distance contrasted against the sharp blacks of the bench make for a compelling image.

lovely image. The subtle color banding of the sea/sky is excellent.

The light on the sea and that hazy horizon are lovely Simon.

Two good shots Simon. I think that you've chosen the right one. The softness of the light as it fades in the distance contrasted against the sharp blacks of the bench make for a compelling image.

lovely image. The subtle color banding of the sea/sky is excellent.

Thank you folks - the light was just perfect for the image, and whilst it's a simple shot, its probably my favourite from the week, when I shot lots and lots!

Small. Well done on the shot and the walk.
Snappers choice. Two nice images... the light on the water is beautifully captured so the bench shot for me.

Week 36 - 'scapes

Another hurried and tardy submission. The weeks just come around so fast, and whilst I have the luxury of being retired, I just can't find the time to get quality time out with my camera. This week's submission was taken today with my iPhone 13 Pro whilst playing in the Seniors Open at Cradoc Golf Club just outside Brecon (that's why I don't have the time! :LOL:). Here looking down towards the 11th green with majestic views of the Brecon Beacons with Corn Ddu and Pen y Fan to the right of the mountain range here.

Brecon Beacons Landscape by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Last edited:
This makes for a good image Simon. I might have been tempted to crop out the patchy grass in the foreground.

What a lovely place to play and fits the bill very nicely. It must be hard to concentrate on the golf with those views.
Thanks Bee! I did stop rather w lot to snap images on a regular basis!!! :LOL:

Nice 'scape - but yeah lose half the grass :)

Ah, the drought…
On the plus side - Flatters the distance from most shots with such dry ground I find though

The edited version looks better - a nice moody shot. I know what you mean about time. I stopped working (avoiding the "r" word) a while ago and seem to have less free time than previously! Looks like a lovely location.

The edited version looks better - a nice moody shot. I know what you mean about time. I stopped working (avoiding the "r" word) a while ago and seem to have less free time than previously! Looks like a lovely location.

Thanks Helen - yes, the advice about cropping out the foreground was a good and correct call. It's a lovely spot - Brecon and the surrounding area is beautiful - about an hour or so from me, so don't get up here that often.

I was lucky enough to do a 5 day golfers holiday in Wales, we stayed in Swansea and the two favourites of the week were Pennard and Langland Bay.

I haven't played either of those (my brother in law has, and he liked both), but have done plenty of walks around the area of both. Beautiful part of the Welsh coast

Great shot of the Brecon B's Simon.
I agree with the others about cropping the grass.

Week 37 - Looking up

We’re in Austria this week, and ample chances of looking up at some big mountains! Also, in here is a pine log ladder up to what I think was a bird hide or other type of lookout point.

All but the second shot were taken today in the Hohe Tauern National Park not far from Rauris, the village we’re staying in about an hour south of Salzburg. Snow is not unheard of at this time of year, especially high up, but unusual.

Untitled by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

This is my chosen shot, taken from the balcony of our apartment. The Ritterkopf is just over 3,000m high, and it’s triangular sharp and the cloud streaming from the summit, just make it a lovely shot for me.

Ritterkopf by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

This ladder shot fits the looking up theme nicely, but frankly, it’s not as beautiful as the mountain shots.

Last edited:
Love these Simon, and the commentary as well.

I like the first and second shots the best but I think that you've chosen the right one of the two.

Love these Simon, and the commentary as well.

I like the first and second shots the best but I think that you've chosen the right one of the two.
Thanks Bill! It’s a beautiful part of the world. My sister in law has an apartment out here. Been a couple of times now.

You've captured some excellent shots recently.

Like both Snapper's Choice in particularly the emptiness of the sea with a lone bench.
Excellent comment by Bill @Darkslinger and the edited version is definitely a stronger image.
Much prefer the ladder shot for Looking Up. Fit the theme perfectly.

You've captured some excellent shots recently.

Like both Snapper's Choice in particularly the emptiness of the sea with a lone bench.
Excellent comment by Bill @Darkslinger and the edited version is definitely a stronger image.
Much prefer the ladder shot for Looking Up. Fit the theme
Thanks Stan! Lovely comments (y)

Did you climb the ladder?
:)

Fab set Simon!

I really like the perspective of the first shot, and the light on the mountain, the shapes in the cloud and the way the trees frame it. I think you're being a bit unfair on the ladder shot though, to me it's every bit as compelling as the rest.

I really like the perspective of the first shot, and the light on the mountain, the shapes in the cloud and the way the trees frame it. I think you're being a bit unfair on the ladder shot though, to me it's every bit as compelling as the rest.
Thanks Nick. I’m pretty pleased with the way #1 turned out, from the angle I had available. The cloud/ light was playing ball too. The ladder one turned out better than I’d hoped. Would have liked to climb up there but it was a bit slippery!!

Back