Spotted a togger : Part 3

T8Usp7E.jpg

Maybe the horses are thinking "Just get on with it and take the picture. I want to go paddle."

Last edited:
T8Usp7E.jpg

Maybe the horses are thinking "Just get on with it and take the picture. I want to go paddle."

Very nice candid style capture Alan, well seen & presented.

We went to the seaside and a cloud seemed to have descended. I'd never seen this before. Anyway, togger possibly with a mirrorless camera, something with a fully articulating screen.

FnsVJso.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen this at Broadstairs in Kent. I've always assumed it was something to do with the local weather systems and the shape of the bay.

I don't remember ever seeing this before. When we were in the car driving towards the coast we could clearly see the cloud moving over the land. It was surreal. I did ask an older person if they'd ever seen this before and they hadn't.

I don't remember ever seeing this before. When we were in the car driving towards the coast we could clearly see the cloud moving over the land. It was surreal. I did ask an older person if they'd ever seen this before and they hadn't.
It's usually called a "sea fret" .

It's usually called a "sea fret" .

I've seen fret a thousand times and I've posted pictures showing it at the coast before as I often see it at Saltburn but this looked radically different. Imagine fret turned up to 12 when the dial normally only goes to 10 :D Driving to the cost you could see it moving over the land, it was so well defined and looking just like a cloud. In it it was much thicker than I've ever seen. I've never seen anything like it.

Last edited:
Driving to the cost you could see it moving over the land, it was so well defined and looking just like a cloud.

This reminds me of when I was driving home from the Birchington, Kent area on Wednesday night and pretty much the same thing happened at some point along the A2/M2 route. I wasn't at all sure what was going on, whether it was mist, or junk on the windscreen, or what, but I had very reduced vision but using the windscreen washer cleared it up enough so that I could see what seemed to be a large patch of cloud all around the car. It happened at about four points along a short section of the route. I've had this before at higher altitudes, but not at something like 60m above sea level, probably not too far from Sittingbourne. As it was well inland, I didn't associate it with this discussion about clouds at the seaside until now.

I'd wondered if it was caused by a temperature inversion and asked my passenger who was more knowledgeable than me about these things but she wasn't sure if that would cause low-lying clouds. Any weather experts around?

Back