Stardust's 52 week challenge 2024

Name
Charlie
Edit My Images
No
Week 1 - close to home.

Week 1 - close to home.jpg

Toyed with several different ideas for this week's challenge but settled with this one. Taken on top of the hob with a bike light to get the reflection. Had to use a mask to make it a bit cleaner but after posting realised that I could have made it a bit neater.
CC welcome.

LOL being born in NYC and spending my entire life in the US, I had to search for hob. Dictionary said a metal shelf in a fireplace. I didn't think that was it.. So I added in the UK and voila, the stove top. Sorry it made me chuckle.

Great work on the picture

LOL being born in NYC and spending my entire life in the US, I had to search for hob. Dictionary said a metal shelf in a fireplace. I didn't think that was it.. So I added in the UK and voila, the stove top. Sorry it made me chuckle.

Great work on the picture
Hahaha, that's brilliant, think I'm going to call it that going forward.

Thank you :)

Toyed with
I see what you did there :) The tractor makes me curious. It's so incongruous that I'm writing a story in my head. makes me think therefore it works. nice!

Intriguing - toy tractor close to home. The connections could be manifold. So, I guess we need info, or you can leave us guessing....

I see what you did there :) The tractor makes me curious. It's so incongruous that I'm writing a story in my head. makes me think therefore it works. nice!

Thank you so much. I'm glad it works, I was trying something new and wasn't sure if it would work or not so I'm very happy to know that it does

Intriguing - toy tractor close to home. The connections could be manifold. So, I guess we need info, or you can leave us guessing....

Disappointingly there isn't a connection other than I live near fields. As others had put far better outdoor shots up then I could I thought I'd take a different view on it. Really wish I could have a better connection though :ROFLMAO:

Week 3 - Soft
These are 'Marsh' and 'Mallow', my Jellycat amuesable marshmallows which were given to me as a gift. Jellycat are incredibly soft so thought apt for this week.
Week 3 - Soft.jpg

We do like a Jellycat - cute and cuddly FTW!

Like the hard pic, stone Is a lovely colour and contrasts well against the background. Do you know if the rocks are secured or just sitting on each other? staining around the edge of the plinth Is a bit distracting once noticed
Soft - made me smile and suits the theme

Like the hard pic, stone Is a lovely colour and contrasts well against the background. Do you know if the rocks are secured or just sitting on each other? staining around the edge of the plinth Is a bit distracting once noticed
Soft - made me smile and suits the theme
Thank you. I hadn't noticed the staining at the bottom, Def something to keep an eye out for next time. I think they're sitting on top of each other, I didn't notice any straps or anything securing them, unless it's internal?
Thank you re the soft.

Hard; is that the Lloyds building in the background? Not been to London for many many years. The subject fits the theme but I, personally, can't see any artistic value in a lump of rock and I suppose that's Contemporary Art and probably worth millions. :)

Soft; those marshmallows are so cuddly and soft. ;)

Hard; is that the Lloyds building in the background? Not been to London for many many years. The subject fits the theme but I, personally, can't see any artistic value in a lump of rock and I suppose that's Contemporary Art and probably worth millions. :)

Soft; those marshmallows are so cuddly and soft. ;)
It is sort of, you can just make out the edge of Lloyds, the main backgound building is the cheese grater. I completely agree but liked the idea of 'stuck between a rock and a 'hard' place' for that week's photo. Also reminds me of the sorting hat from Harry Potter :ROFLMAO:

Thank you and you too @BobBCN re the 'soft' comments and Bob for your comment re the contrast.

I really want to take my photography to the next level this year so really glad to hear that I'm off to a good start :)

Week 4 - water.
I wanted to try something different this week with an ice cube but I lost motivation so wandered down to the Thames in my lunchbreak instead. I noticed that I had a long exposure option on my phone so decided to try it. It hasn't come out the best and I know it would have come out a lot better with a camera and tripod but I still like the results. I was focusing on the Cormorants with a boat transporting shipping containers going behind. For anyone who's interested it's taken opposite Hays Galleria. My main image for the week is the long exposure one but I've put the normal photo here too just so you can see it as it is.

Week 4 - water.jpg

Week 4 - water-2.jpg

I can't zoom in but for a long-exposure phone shot I reckon that's come out pretty well. The longer exposure is definitely my favourite of the two.

Interesting what a hand held shot with a phone can do - I suspect there's some clever stuff going on in the software there. That may be demonstrated by the water in front of the dolphin (I think that's what the wooden structure is called).

For my money, you definitely chose the right one.

Thank you all so much, you've all just made my Thursday!! Nog, I think it was 2 maybe 3 seconds. Felt like longer in the breeze with people walking past though

Week 5 - Snapper's Choice
I took this photo whilst at St. Jame's Park in London, I was there trying to take a photo for the NHM Wildlife Photographer of the Year (nothing like the deep end when it comes to building competition confidence - sadly my image, another one wasn't chosen). I adore swans and this fella was right by the edge of the lake. I loved the way the sun shone on his side and the single drip from his beak. I must admit, I loved it so much that I entered it into a competition which I should hear back on next month - fingers crossed.
Week 5 - Snapper's choice.jpg

Week 6 - Neat and Tidy

This week I decided to use my car boot for the photo. As I only have a small boot having this boot tidy is great. The compartment with the coat in it normally has my camera bag in it which stops it from moving about whilst I'm driving round twisty country lanes keeping my gear safe too.

Week 6 - Neat and Tidy.jpg

Camera kit nicely secured! Nice shot to boot :D

That's not a car boot as I know one, where's all the stuff you don't need to lug about needlessly using up petrol!! Wish mine was that tidy, time to set the child a task I think... ;)

Snappers: Lovely shot. Good luck with the competition
Neat and tidy: that's impressive. Mine mainly contains sand and mud...

Thank you all for your comments on the boot, I must admit it's not normally that tidy, normally coats and or shopping in the rest of it so made a change having it like this :giggle:

Week 7 - filthy
I was wracking my brain for a week trying to work out what to put in for this week. Everything I thought of was more messy then filthy. It finally came to me as I was going to bed on Wednesday night that I work near the Thames, which is filthy. There is so much stuff in there that it is anything but clean, so I'm hoping this will be acceptable.
Please forgive the quality of the shot, I used my phone whilst at lunch yesterday and it was tipping it down.
Week 7 - Filthy.jpg

Back on track - Week 8 - Whole

When I saw the topic for this week my first thought was to photograph a Jaffa Cake, just because of the advert 'full moon...' however I've given up both cake and buscuits for Lent and thought eating a whole packet on Sunday for 1 photo might be a bit piggy (Sunday's don't count in Lent otherwise it would be more than 40 days :giggle:). So, queue a made hunt around the City yesterday trying to find a bakery as I wanted to photograph a Belgium Bun with a full cherry on top. Sadly couldn't find one but I did find this white chocolate and lemon tart which I'm hoping will be acceptable for the topic (unfortunately the photo that I wanted to upload, which was slightly more in focus, was too large for the restrictions on here, regardless of what I did :ROFLMAO: )

Week 8 - Whole 2.jpg

That certainly works - and quick of the mark, especially with having to hunt the subject down.

With the other image being too large, I find that exporting from Lightroom and dialling back the quality generally has more impact than dialling back the size.

Back