weekly Susiejb 52 in 2015 Christmas ...and that's me finished for 2015

Hi susie, two good shots there, silhouette you can't argue with that perfect for the theme,
the pic of your grandson is great, nice expression on his face, would maybe have gone B+W and the top of his head seams a little strange doesn't distract too much though

Thanks Allan....yes I thought silhouette was fine too but since reading Graham and DK's comments I think I got that one wrong :oops: :$ is it just a shadow :eek:
You're right about my grandsons head ...grrrrr why didn't I spot that :runaway:I had to clone out a person behind him and obviously I strayed into his hair ...I was a bit rushed (that's my excuse but it is annoying) I'll try and clean that up a bit to keep the pic myself.

Aww thanks Susie. Sorry for quoting across threads but thought more suitable to reply here.

Lovely to see you back, it does get hard to stay away doesn't it. :)

Putting my awkward hat on.... Isn't a silhouette different to a shadow? Similar but different. Not that it matters to much though. Great shot in challenging conditions I should imagine.

Plenty of love for the one of your grandson too, completely mesmerised by the sight before him and you've done well to isolate him from the others.

I'm still cracking on with the POTY, one a month is suiting me nicely. :)

Hi Graham ...thank you for hopping by :) yes, it is addictive, the weeks just wern't the same without the challenge !

I think you're right about silhouette ...duh what a silly mistake :oops: :$

Good luck with the POTY I must take a look and see what everyone's up to in there.

Hi Susie :)

I was just going to say what Graham has, the circus act is a lovely image, but it is a shadow not a silhouette, still a good moment to capture it and just at the right angle too :)

Entertain - now I LOVE this photo, your grandson looks engrossed, the shallow depth of field is working it's magic here, really liking the lighting too, a keeper to look back on that one (y)

Hi DK, as mentioned above the silhouette one is a :oops: :$ shot ...I'll try and get something done later this week that fits the topic properly.

Glad you like the other one, I don't think he quite knew what to make of it all ...

Thank you for looking in, much appreciated :)

Nice catch-up images Susie - as everyone has already remarked, the intense concentration on your grandson's face makes a brilliant portrait for Entertainment. Priceless.

Silhouette, well spotted, looks a little soft, shot a 1/13 would explain that and at 1600 you've done well.

Entertain, again, looks like you were restricted to slow shutter speed with the low light but captured a wonderful moment.

Cheers.

Silhouette, well spotted, looks a little soft, shot a 1/13 would explain that and at 1600 you've done well.

Entertain, again, looks like you were restricted to slow shutter speed with the low light but captured a wonderful moment.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy the lighting and constant movement was a nightmare so I was pleased to get a couple of decent ones.

enough has been said about Silhouette ... just want to say Entertain is one for the album, love the moment, the light and OOF BG movement.

A proper Silhouette

I feel bad now. ;), what with you being behind already and then me making you feel like you have to do one over. :)

Really super work on your proverb... Beautifully executed composite, with a wonderful portrait image set at just the right opacity to be noticeable, especially the window catchlighhts in the eyes, echoing the text below. But still being a subtle image behind the clouds.

Looks great on the forum black background. :clap:

:agree: ... with Graham re Proverb ... love the intense thoughtful look, perfect. ... [except I don't know what Graham means about forum black BG]

and yes that's a proper Silhouette ... great colouring.

(y)

I feel bad now. ;), what with you being behind already and then me making you feel like you have to do one over. :)

Really super work on your proverb... Beautifully executed composite, with a wonderful portrait image set at just the right opacity to be noticeable, especially the window catchlighhts in the eyes, echoing the text below. But still being a subtle image behind the clouds.

Looks great on the forum black background. :clap:

Thanks Graham and d00d ....glad you feel bad Graham @overbez :D not really :) it's good, it challenges me to do things I've never tried before.

[except I don't know what Graham means about forum black BG]

Sorry David... You can change the forum theme to day or night or evening or dusk. Changing the BG color from white to grey or black.

Two excellent images Susie. Silhouette is brilliant - got to be one of the best and as for Proverb, love both the sentiment and the way you have presented it. Well done. :clap:

Hi Susie, great to see you back too :woot::woot::woot:

Fabulous shot of Entertain, he looks completely enthralled and you have nailed the shot in what I bet were difficult conditions :clap::clap:

Two excellent images Susie. Silhouette is brilliant - got to be one of the best and as for Proverb, love both the sentiment and the way you have presented it. Well done. :clap:

Hi Susie, great to see you back too :woot::woot::woot:

Fabulous shot of Entertain, he looks completely enthralled and you have nailed the shot in what I bet were difficult conditions :clap::clap:

Thank you Carl and Jill ...much appreciate you looking in. Catching up is a bit time consuming but I'll get there ...I hope !

A couple more to catch up:

ANIMAL was taken on my phone (sorry an oldie for this one) when I was on holiday, this little dog sat on the counter every day guarding the till. His name was Elvis which made him even more appealing :)

Animal Elvis the Guard Dog TP15 by Sue B, on Flickr

WORDS

Virtually every week for the last three years I've written a short story, I don't think I've quite used all the words in the English language yet, but I've printed out a lot of paper.

Words TP 15 by Sue B, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Susie.
Animal: #1 Elvis looks great a huh huh. Image is a bit too busy so hard to pick out the facial hair pin particular against that machine in the bg. #2 Yes I think the definition allows. Much the better of the two submissions. Colourful and nicely detailed.
Words: Nice blend of the two and love the words.

Hi Susie.
Animal: #1 Elvis looks great a huh huh. Image is a bit too busy so hard to pick out the facial hair pin particular against that machine in the bg. #2 Yes I think the definition allows. Much the better of the two submissions. Colourful and nicely detailed.
Words: Nice blend of the two and love the words.

Thanks Carl :) yes Elvis was a bit of a desperate one, I googled butterfly and apparently it can be classed as an animal. The shot was hand held across a flower border so I was pleased with the result, it's not too shaky.

Last edited:
Hi susie ... good catch-up

Animal ... I know it's only a phone snap and a bit of fun but .... harsh light, busy BG ... but yeah I wouldn't argue with him. ;)
Animal #2 ... Great shot ... lovely focus and like the inclusion of the whole flower head like that. (y)
Words ... Great saying/quote ... Oh yes, genius idea, very creative overlay, nice work. (y)

Hi susie ... good catch-up

Animal ... I know it's only a phone snap and a bit of fun but .... harsh light, busy BG ... but yeah I wouldn't argue with him. ;)
Animal #2 ... Great shot ... lovely focus and like the inclusion of the whole flower head like that. (y)
Words ... Great saying/quote ... Oh yes, genius idea, very creative overlay, nice work. (y)

Thanks d00d...Elvis was so cute he just had to be here :)
Words/language are always a fascination to me, so I enjoyed that one.
Next post and I've caught up ...much sooner than I hoped and a great relief.

Nice catch up Susie, I gave up on that idea, and just jump in now and again :D

I really like the dew on the spiders web (y)

Oooo look at you catching up :)

Silhouette - Ahhhhh THAT is more like it, great blacks and I like the transition of colour in the background :)

Proverb - Nicely put together and a nice choice of words too, like it :)

Animal - Hmmmmm not going for this at all, clipped, oof, fussy background....

Words - Again a nicely put together image, very effective with the keyboard background, liking the colour too :)

Butterfly - Now that is more like it, looks like some thought and effort has gone into this one (y)

Broken - A lovely image, you cant beat a cobweb with dew on it, a nice one this too, the background is very effective also :)

Spiral - Liking this one too, great blacks again :)

Medical - Would like slightly more DoF, but again a cracking background and text that certainly helps explain this one :)

Tear - The first one for me as the detail shows the tear much clearer, nice and bright too :)

And... what a great catch up :clap:

Well done Susie. Broken: Excellent detail and colour - maybe a tighter crop to exclude the bottom bit
Spiral: Nicely fits the theme but too dark for me as some of the detail is lost, especially that glass ball and droplet
Medical: Faultless - colour, composition, DoF - all there :clap: Striking image
Tear: I prefer #2 as your composition uses it to forma frame to the image beyond.
Support: Nicely abstract, definitely themed.

Hi Susie, you've got some really beautiful images in here since I last commented :clap:

Pale - a lovely shot and a much fresher-looking rose than the miserable one that I used :)
Silhouette - notwithstanding the comments about it being a shadow rather than a silhouette, it's still a really striking shot but the flower fairy is excellent! I love the bg lighting.
Entertain - just gorgeous :)
Animal - much prefer Elvis to the butterfly, he's so fierce-looking that I'm sure he made a wonderful guard-dog :D
Words - I really like the idea of layering the keyboard over the fanned out paper, another great image!
I think I'm starting to gush a bit here - so many lovely shots, so I'll just finish off with saying that of the rest, my favourites are Proverb and the first one for Tear.

Hi Susie, I think I preferred the first silhouette/shadow you did
Words is slightly scary a huge babies face coming out of the sky looks a little funereal :thinking:
Nice catch up like the butterfly for animal and the web for broken

Support works well in a abstract kind of way, nice use of DoF

Hi susie ... good catch up

Broken ... spiders web with water droplet, irresistible always. And this is a cracker.
Spiral ... some detail is lost as mentioned above, but I like that effect.
Medical ... a stunner, in the sunlight like that. Lovely DOF too.
Tear ... #1 for me.
Support ... wooo, nice idea, beautifully shot.

all & all not bad ...;)

Well done Susie. Broken: Excellent detail and colour - maybe a tighter crop to exclude the bottom bit
Spiral: Nicely fits the theme but too dark for me as some of the detail is lost, especially that glass ball and droplet
Medical: Faultless - colour, composition, DoF - all there :clap: Striking image
Tear: I prefer #2 as your composition uses it to forma frame to the image beyond.
Support: Nicely abstract, definitely themed.

Thanks for looking Carl...I think I'll do a reshoot for spiral when it comes up as I wasn't too pleased with it, I must admit it's really good to be up to date.

Hi Susie, you've got some really beautiful images in here since I last commented :clap:

Pale - a lovely shot and a much fresher-looking rose than the miserable one that I used :)
Silhouette - notwithstanding the comments about it being a shadow rather than a silhouette, it's still a really striking shot but the flower fairy is excellent! I love the bg lighting.
Entertain - just gorgeous :)
Animal - much prefer Elvis to the butterfly, he's so fierce-looking that I'm sure he made a wonderful guard-dog :D
Words - I really like the idea of layering the keyboard over the fanned out paper, another great image!
I think I'm starting to gush a bit here - so many lovely shots, so I'll just finish off with saying that of the rest, my favourites are Proverb and the first one for Tear.

Thanks Elaine, much appreciate your comments ...it is a marathon isn't it, but I needed to catch up, I'm glad you 'got' my picture of Elvis, I just had to sneak that one in :)

Back