Susiejb 52 in 2019 WHOLE

Susie

Wk1 new, I love the subtle lighting on the flower, really makes the Image
Wk2 Clean, One I had not thought off, B&W, what's not to like.

Pete

There have been some good takes on the theme this week, and this is another and really nicely executed. I did a double-take as I had a similar idea for 'Sharp' in last year's 52 (below) and liked the contrast of shiny metal on a black background, so this is a big thumbs up from me. You've got a tick in the B&W technique column too (y)

Thanks Andrea, great minds think alike :)

Susie

Wk1 new, I love the subtle lighting on the flower, really makes the Image
Wk2 Clean, One I had not thought off, B&W, what's not to like.

Pete

Thank you very much Pete.

Well fancy seeing you here :)

New......for me some light inside the flower might lift it a bit good thinking though
Clean.....works really well in B+W but isn’t the phrase “neat as a pin” :whistle:

I had thought about this phrase for last weeks theme but couldn't think of a good setup. Very much like what you have done with it this week.

Thanks for looking in Steve, much appreciated.

Well fancy seeing you here :)

New......for me some light inside the flower might lift it a bit good thinking though
Clean.....works really well in B+W but isn’t the phrase “neat as a pin” :whistle:

Hi Allan are you being controversial :bat:
Definition here
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/as-clean-as-a-new-pin

Good to see you here :)

Great mono image. A great choice for the theme. Just the right amount of lighting.

I like that, nice dof and works well in B/W

Thank you.

New - Beautifully lit! Lovely colours in the flower and a nice flat black background.
Clean - Not a saying I know I must say, but its a nice clean image. Tack sharp at the front with a good DoF.

Thank you for looking in Ross.

Great mono image. A great choice for the theme. Just the right amount of lighting.

Much appreciated Mandy.

Very good Susie, nice and sharp :exit:Good black bg and perfect dof (y)

Thank you Georgina.

I didn't really plan to use this one as I only took it quickly on my phone last night. But when I looked at it this morning I thought it suited the topic well. I hope the colours look okay as they vary a lot between the screen on my phone, my ipad and my computer :oops: :$

So here we have OPEN top,

45897815185_9c5686f614_c.jpg

Last edited:
Mmmm - looks good enough to eat! :D

Lovely fruity image Susie could just eat that. Colours are definitely fine.

would have preferred it straight on maybe so the tiles are running parallel, colours look fine to me by the way

Colours are beautiful and bang on Susie, mobile phones can be great sometimes and imo you nailed it (y)

Thanks Dave, I feel a bit lazy doing such a simple one but there's another 49 weeks to go for being creative. :)

Mmmm - looks good enough to eat! :D

Thanks Dave it was very tasty!

Chuck some cream on this and I’d be all over it ! Nicely thought out.

Greek yogurt for me Chris ....I'm on a diet :)

Lovely fruity image Susie could just eat that. Colours are definitely fine.

Thank you Mandy.

Colours work well. Suits the theme and looks delicious!

Thanks for looking in BOB.

Tasty image!!:D
Very nicely taken image...perfect example of how skill, a good eye and creative sense outweighs the choice of gear.
Love the colours and tones.
Nice composition too.
Very nice work Susie.(y)

Thank you Gareth ...you're so encouraging ....much appreciated
Very nice colours are spot on and looks yummy :)

Thank you for looking in Peter.

Did you have fun eating the props Susie?
Nicely done.

Thoroughly enjoyed them Tim :)

would have preferred it straight on maybe so the tiles are running parallel, colours look fine to me by the way

Thanks Allan, it was a bit of a lazy one really, I only took it as a quickie, I did try a few others on the beach but wasn't too happy with them so I just went for it. Will try harder next week :)

Last edited:
Looks very tasty, Susie :) Lots of lovely colours and textures there. It does look very slightly warm or yellowy here but that could just be my screen or my eyes. I hope you had fun eating the props afterwards!

Thank you Andrea, I think the colour is from the lights in the kitchen, to be honest it was a bit of a lazy entry, but it fitted the theme and yes thank you it was very tasty :)

Shoehorn on its way ...I did try, I braved the freezing cold and force nine gale of the headland yesterday to get a distance shot, but the sky was so washed out and hazy I didn't like any of them, so I came home and went into the garden, I really liked these thistle seed heads, hence this weeks offering.

When summer is just a DISTANT memory.

Distant TP19 by Susiejb, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice and sharp, lovely DOF too. :)

Nice shoehorn, very good dof I like the lack of colour, good lateral thinking

Love the muted colours and the use of the seed heads which would have been in flower a couple of months ago, fits with the distant theme for me
really nice image Susie (y)

Love this picture and it fits the theme perfectly. Great perspective

I actually thought I'd commented here, sorry, catch up time.....

New-The flower looks great against the dark background, but perhaps the flower itself could have been a bit brighter
Clean-Great idea for the theme, the pins stand out against the background and the dof is just right. Perhaps a few more pins would have added to the shot
Open-Nicely put together image, though my OCD would have preferred the verticals on the wall to be vertical. To me the WB looks a bit out.
Distant-When I saw the image on the main thread, I couldn't work out how it fit the theme, but your explanation of the shoehorn works. It's a lovely image.

Hi Susie

New - A lovely image. it looks back lit through the petals but I can't how the light source wouldn't be seen. Very clever and a nice effect.
Clean - Not a saying I have heard but it has inspired a very nice image. Well lit and composed. I like the way the pins fade into the background and the main pin in the foreground is very sharp.
Open - Wonderful vibrant colours. Good lighting and perfect for the theme (y)
Distant - No shoehorn needed! It fits with the title. You nailed the focus and the background colours are nice and muted and form a perfect non-distracting canvas for the seed heads. Nice :)

And what very good shoehorn it is too Susie, like the oof BG and little hint of colour while keeping the subject sharp.

Thank you for looking in Dave.

Nice and sharp, lovely DOF too. :)

Thank you Rick.

Nice shoehorn, very good dof I like the lack of colour, good lateral thinking

Much appreciated Lindsay.

With the caption it fits the theme perfectly. Distant is ok for time and space...
Love it

Thank you Bob, much appreciated.

Love the muted colours and the use of the seed heads which would have been in flower a couple of months ago, fits with the distant theme for me
really nice image Susie (y)

Thanks Allan, this really is my kind of image, I love macro and I think when you like what you're doing it always works for the better.

Love this picture and it fits the theme perfectly. Great perspective

Thank you for looking in Garry.

I actually thought I'd commented here, sorry, catch up time.....

New-The flower looks great against the dark background, but perhaps the flower itself could have been a bit brighter
Clean-Great idea for the theme, the pins stand out against the background and the dof is just right. Perhaps a few more pins would have added to the shot
Open-Nicely put together image, though my OCD would have preferred the verticals on the wall to be vertical. To me the WB looks a bit out.
Distant-When I saw the image on the main thread, I couldn't work out how it fit the theme, but your explanation of the shoehorn works. It's a lovely image.

Thank you for taking the time to write those comments Jon, much appreciated.

Hi Susie

New - A lovely image. it looks back lit through the petals but I can't how the light source wouldn't be seen. Very clever and a nice effect.
Clean - Not a saying I have heard but it has inspired a very nice image. Well lit and composed. I like the way the pins fade into the background and the main pin in the foreground is very sharp.
Open - Wonderful vibrant colours. Good lighting and perfect for the theme (y)
Distant - No shoehorn needed! It fits with the title. You nailed the focus and the background colours are nice and muted and form a perfect non-distracting canvas for the seed heads. Nice :)

Hi Lee, thank you very much for looking in and taking time to comment, much appreciated.

Great image Susie!
I have a fondness for these types of images too....I must have about 200-300 shots of bulrushes and assorted thistles taken in my local RSPB reserve.
Yours is superbly sharp with great detail and expert use of DoF.
Lovely, smooth background completes a terrific image!
Excellent!(y)

Shoe-horn? Seems on theme to me Susie.
Lovely use of DoF to include some colour in the background but making it completely non distracting and allowing the seed-heads to pop from the image.

I agree with Tim, it's not really a shoe-horn given your explanation. It's a lovely study of the seed heads though, with sharp close-up details and those lovely muted colours in the OOF background.

I sympathise as we've had gales here since Friday and no chance to go out and get what I wanted. Fingers crossed it blows itself out soon!

I really like this image, the DOF is fantastic.

Really interesting shot. Nice perspective and good use of DoF. There's so much detail, you can really spend a few minutes just looking at the texture and shapes of the sticky out bits (whatever their real names are!). Awesome stuff

Back