The 52 Weeks, The 8th Installment. COMPLETE! Thank You All!

Hi Michael,

Round - I like the balloon processing too, I do like cross processing (in fact I might have been stronger). Good contrast of the 2 complimentary colours there.

Cooking - No probs with the vignette here either, I like the way the bacon is emphasised by it.
Works well for me.

Cooking

I like the colours and light, I can almost hear the sizzling. I would like to see a bit more of the frying pan though.

Hi Michael,

Round - I like the balloon processing too, I do like cross processing (in fact I might have been stronger). Good contrast of the 2 complimentary colours there.

Cooking - No probs with the vignette here either, I like the way the bacon is emphasised by it.
Works well for me.

Thanks Tim.

Cooking

I like the colours and light, I can almost hear the sizzling. I would like to see a bit more of the frying pan though.

Thanks Dominic, I thought of more pan also, but a bit limited on space in the kitchen and couldn't get anything that I thought was usable, so stuck with the closer view for a bit of impact.

Now onto short, had a few options for this theme, rather surprisingly as I didn't have a clue.

Anyway after a bit of deliberating I am going to go with this one! Short in terms of attire and short in the period it all happened in!

M34A2558 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

We had been to the sealife centre in birmingham and as we were walking back I was looking at photographing the buildings and attempt a bit of street photography, As I was taking a picture this group of ladies came through, the one on the right put her opens open shouting photobomb! She immediately said go on, get a picture of me, grabbed her mate and said lets jump 1,2,3! This was the result! Never expected anything like it and quite happy for a spontaneous capture, with nex to know time to compose the shot, had a little laugh and on they went enjoying there evening!

Great capture and like the story, suits the theme, colourful and fun.

Short skirts - nowt wrong with that :)

That's a brilliant story and a really fun thing to happen.
Loving the action, the slightest of motion blur, the colours and that it happened.
Hope you got details from them so you could send them the shot, I suspect they'd love it.

lucky maybe but it makes an excellent picture great expressions on both of them

Thank you Allan.

Great capture and like the story, suits the theme, colourful and fun.

Thanks for commenting Roger.

Short skirts - nowt wrong with that :)

Indeed, thanks for looking Dave!

That's a brilliant story and a really fun thing to happen.
Loving the action, the slightest of motion blur, the colours and that it happened.
Hope you got details from them so you could send them the shot, I suspect they'd love it.

I would have loved to have sent them a copy, but they were off within seconds on there merry way! Thanks for looking in and commenting

Good opportunity for short, well done on the spur of the moment.

Thanks Chris!

Michael

Short - Good shot, like the story behind it as well. Lucky you.

Pete

Thanks for looking in Pete, much appreciated as always.

SO now on to a little catchup,

forked

This chap was hard at work today

M34A9295 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Refuse

M34A9247 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Dark

M34A9367 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Forked, like this shot, bit of fun and well composed, hits the theme, like the bright greens leaves contrasting with the brown dead ones.

Refuse, it looks like refuse and is well shot but I must confess to not being sure what it is!:oops: :$

Dark, great shot made me chuckle.

Hi Michael,

Forked - All very colour matching, but quite hard to see the lego chappie and it took an age to actually find the fork!
Possibly would have been more impactful if your 'model' and the fork were in complimentary colours rather than matching hues?

Refuse - I'm not actually sure I get what that is. Seems a bit dark to me, I can't really make it out.

Dark - Like the idea, like the reflection and use of the negative space below. But in my mind, the yellow subject should have been sharper, not the blue (light?) behind it.

All just my thoughts, others will have different critique.

Not really seeing anything “forked” in forked and I don’t really do Lego pictures
Need a bit more of the surroundings in “refuse” I can see they are sinks was it some kind of scrapyard?
Dark a bit of an odd composition the yellow thing isn’t in focus but you might have a reason for that?

Last edited:
Forked, I quite like the placement amongst the holly leaves which are an interesting range of colours and textures.

Refuse, disgarded sinks with the emphasis on the sink drain pipe works for me

The subject in dark does look a bit OOF and I'm not sure about the blue light behind.

Nice little catch up Michael, liking the refuse and dark shots with refuse being my choice as imo it goes well in mono.

Thanks Dave.

Forked, like this shot, bit of fun and well composed, hits the theme, like the bright greens leaves contrasting with the brown dead ones.

Refuse, it looks like refuse and is well shot but I must confess to not being sure what it is!:oops: :$

Dark, great shot made me chuckle.

Thanks for looking Roger, it is an old sink.

Hi Michael,

Forked - All very colour matching, but quite hard to see the lego chappie and it took an age to actually find the fork!
Possibly would have been more impactful if your 'model' and the fork were in complimentary colours rather than matching hues?

Refuse - I'm not actually sure I get what that is. Seems a bit dark to me, I can't really make it out.

Dark - Like the idea, like the reflection and use of the negative space below. But in my mind, the yellow subject should have been sharper, not the blue (light?) behind it.

All just my thoughts, others will have different critique.

Hi Tim, the forked shot was really tricky, I know what you mean about the fork being difiicult to see, but it involves the looking into the picture if that makes sense, complimentary colours would no doubt make a differnce, something to look out for in future shots.
Refuse is a sink unit, the village hall has been demolished and this was part of the stuff still on site.
Dark, I realised it was oof when I looked at it the next day, the blue is sky reflecting, it was a slide on the park, see below for an alternative.

Not really seeing anything “forked” in forked and I don’t really do Lego pictures
Need a bit more of the surroundings in “refuse” I can see they are sinks was it some kind of scrapyard?
Dark a bit of an odd composition the yellow thing isn’t in focus but you might have a reason for that?

Hi Allan, I couldn't get a wider angle on refuse, I was shooting through barriers, the village hall has had to be demolished due to being beyond repair and this was part of the remaining stuff.
Dark, I hadn't noticed until I looked at it again, I shall post an alternative below.

Forked, I quite like the placement amongst the holly leaves which are an interesting range of colours and textures.

Refuse, disgarded sinks with the emphasis on the sink drain pipe works for me

The subject in dark does look a bit OOF and I'm not sure about the blue light behind.

Thanks Chris for the comments, as noted above below is another image.

M34A9369 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Michael

Short - On Theme as a Fork is involed. Not my cup of tea. Focus and sharpness is good. Little man is hidden in shadow and of similar colour of leaves behind.

Refuse - I assume they are being chucked away. Plenty of horrid detail, yuk. good tones and exposure. A pleasing photo apart from the subject, blame mr snake for that.

Dark - I find this one odd with the blue light and the red and yellow reflection, are they meant to be there? The little yellow giraffe has a nice reflection but does appear to be a bit soft. Second Dark photo is much better, he is sharp, but oof background while appearing like clouds does not quite work for me, but there again I'm a fussy bugger.

Pete

Michael

Short - On Theme as a Fork is involed. Not my cup of tea. Focus and sharpness is good. Little man is hidden in shadow and of similar colour of leaves behind.

Refuse - I assume they are being chucked away. Plenty of horrid detail, yuk. good tones and exposure. A pleasing photo apart from the subject, blame mr snake for that.

Dark - I find this one odd with the blue light and the red and yellow reflection, are they meant to be there? The little yellow giraffe has a nice reflection but does appear to be a bit soft. Second Dark photo is much better, he is sharp, but oof background while appearing like clouds does not quite work for me, but there again I'm a fussy bugger.

Pete

Hi Pete, nothing wrong with being fussy :) The reflections I did want to be in there as I liked the colours as I looked at it, The giraffe is oof, annoyingly, most probably due to the angle I was at when taking the picture, I wasn't square on with the camera, I then altered my position to take the the other one. Perhaps I should have taken my 105 2.8 out with me to aid with the bokeh in the bg (which was light through gaps in the trees)

Thank you for looking and your comments, appreciated as always.

Sorry it's a catchup, been a very long few weeks with next to no energy and want to do anything. Managed to catch up with the pics over the last couple of days.

Splash, A good decision by my wife to go here today! On arrival I remembered there was a ford which always has a good number of veichles going through it each time we have been there. Took a while, but chasing rainbows I got one in the picture! So happy with that.

M34A1037 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Pull/pulled, Not quite the pic I wanted, these were meant to have a stop at York, but a last minute platfrom change put an end to that! Still I quite like the picture, especially with the moody late evening sky.

M34A0854 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Art, same place, Rufford Abbey Country park as for my splash picture.

M34A1161 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Splash I would have liked the car to be on the left or a bit more room at the front of it but well done for the rainbow and a good splash
Pull I get the train aspect but they don't seem to be pulling anything as they are in the station
Art I think needs a little more of its surroundings can't really tell what it is or what its for

Splash I would have liked the car to be on the left or a bit more room at the front of it but well done for the rainbow and a good splash
Pull I get the train aspect but they don't seem to be pulling anything as they are in the station
Art I think needs a little more of its surroundings can't really tell what it is or what its for

Thanks Allan,

This is a wider view of art, but settled on the close up as I preferred it.

M34A1160 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Splash, just think its an excellent shot, love it.
Pulled, would of been nice to of had a bit of action in the shot as Allan said but fits the theme and its got an old Class 47 in it.
Art, Like the processing and I think the close up works really well.

Hi Michael,

Splash - I do agree with Allan that it would have been nice to have a bit more space in front, but I suspect it took long enough to even get that one and possibly going wider would have lost some of the impact of the splash / rainbow.

Pull - I'm guessing you were going for the WCRC Brush 4 not the Class 91. Was the tour diesel hauled due to the steam ban (because obviously that's a bright blue sky ;) )

Art - Hmm, I think I prefer the second version. The first looks like it could be graffiti, whereas the second version is obviously an installation.

Hi Michael,

Splash - I do agree with Allan that it would have been nice to have a bit more space in front, but I suspect it took long enough to even get that one and possibly going wider would have lost some of the impact of the splash / rainbow.

Pull - I'm guessing you were going for the WCRC Brush 4 not the Class 91. Was the tour diesel hauled due to the steam ban (because obviously that's a bright blue sky ;) )

Art - Hmm, I think I prefer the second version. The first looks like it could be graffiti, whereas the second version is obviously an installation.

Hi Tim, there were lots of shots to get the rainbow! Also there were lots of people watching so couldn't really alter position much, this was as wide as I could go on my 18-135, I have other versions on flcikr, but stuck with this one as it had the best rainbow.
Indeed I was after the 47, and was a diesel throughout. I just decided to stick with wide as I was caught out by the last moment platform change!

Art, it may well be a theme I will consider redoing. I did take some pictures of a piece of artwork in the railway museum, but I then wasn't sure about uploading and posting (copyright and all that)

While I'm thinking about it, I did also photograph D9009 in the failing light, so iso 12800 and I went black and white, perhaps a little more pulling obvious as it's out of the station

d9009 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Arty Deltic is ace - could be a 70s film pic :)

Hi Micheal, I am so far behind with commenting again, I just don't seem to be able to get into the swing of things this year! I have tried, on other peoples, just commenting on a few but don't find that very satisfying, so anyway ignore if you wish :LOL:

Rural - I like the bright red train in the station, nice rural scene in the bg but not so keen on the big chunk of platform. I don't know if there was a different position you could have stood and lost the platform but retained the view, probably not
Bright - Very unusual. Love how the light catches the edges of the leaves. I might have cropped some of the black on the left hand side
Elegant - I'm torn btwn the two of the Flying Scotsman. I prefer the overall view with the building but love that you can see how shiny and black the engine is in the close up
Derelict - I like the line of the wall leading you unto the path and on to whats left of the castle. Not sure about the people. Maybe it would work better for me if they looked more like they were walking together
Home - Last one of the 4 for me on this set. I do like the one with the low pov but for me it would be better if the house was just square and stood btwn the pillars. I do appreciate this is not a fault with your photography and there was nothing you could do about it :ROFLMAO:
Short - Love this, great moment in time and well captured
Forked - Did take me a moment to see the fork but I do like a lego picture, so it works for me
Refuse - Couldn't really make out what this was, I guessed at sinks but it doesn't really say refuse to me
Dark - Absolutely love the alternate image. Very cute character and lovely reflection in the black and I like the smoke effect in the bg
Splash - Great idea, really like the rainbow created by the splash, would have been nice to have the car on the right of the picture but probably if you moved to get that angle you might not get the rainbow
Pull- Sorry trains are not really my thing but nice moody sky
Art - I prefer the first one. I like the close up and the b&w, makes it a bit grittier

:D

Well done for catching up, Michael. I love the Splash shot with perfect time and the rainbow just makes the image. Personally, I like to see more of the trains in Pull/Pulled but the evening golden sun and the moody sky make up for the slight shortfall. Black and white suit the Art shot and prefer the first close up shot.

Splash is a nicely timed shot but do agree about the space, still a great shot though. Art is a cool image and nicely theme.

Thanks Dave,

Arty Deltic is ace - could be a 70s film pic :)

Thanks Dave, only ever seen it light engine until this particular evening, it's a lovely loco indeed!

Hi Micheal, I am so far behind with commenting again, I just don't seem to be able to get into the swing of things this year! I have tried, on other peoples, just commenting on a few but don't find that very satisfying, so anyway ignore if you wish :LOL:

Rural - I like the bright red train in the station, nice rural scene in the bg but not so keen on the big chunk of platform. I don't know if there was a different position you could have stood and lost the platform but retained the view, probably not
Bright - Very unusual. Love how the light catches the edges of the leaves. I might have cropped some of the black on the left hand side
Elegant - I'm torn btwn the two of the Flying Scotsman. I prefer the overall view with the building but love that you can see how shiny and black the engine is in the close up
Derelict - I like the line of the wall leading you unto the path and on to whats left of the castle. Not sure about the people. Maybe it would work better for me if they looked more like they were walking together
Home - Last one of the 4 for me on this set. I do like the one with the low pov but for me it would be better if the house was just square and stood btwn the pillars. I do appreciate this is not a fault with your photography and there was nothing you could do about it :ROFLMAO:
Short - Love this, great moment in time and well captured
Forked - Did take me a moment to see the fork but I do like a lego picture, so it works for me
Refuse - Couldn't really make out what this was, I guessed at sinks but it doesn't really say refuse to me
Dark - Absolutely love the alternate image. Very cute character and lovely reflection in the black and I like the smoke effect in the bg
Splash - Great idea, really like the rainbow created by the splash, would have been nice to have the car on the right of the picture but probably if you moved to get that angle you might not get the rainbow
Pull- Sorry trains are not really my thing but nice moody sky
Art - I prefer the first one. I like the close up and the b&w, makes it a bit grittier

:D

Hi Georgina, thank you for taking the time to look through all of those, it really is appreciated.

Well done for catching up, Michael. I love the Splash shot with perfect time and the rainbow just makes the image. Personally, I like to see more of the trains in Pull/Pulled but the evening golden sun and the moody sky make up for the slight shortfall. Black and white suit the Art shot and prefer the first close up shot.

Many thanks Stan, did consider getting it in the same spot as d9009, but there wasn't enough time to do so.

Michael

Splash, great capture, love the rainbow.

Pulled, can't argue about fitting the theme, the cloud of brown exhaust fumes confirms it. I like the dark clouds and the evening glow in the colours. everything is as it should be.

Art, processing helps with the arty feel. I prefer the first.

Pete

Two nice images Michael both well processed looks like you had some nice light

I've seen quite a few fly agarics around, I suppose they like the warm dry weather, good choice for the theme. The bracken is well lit and nicely done.

Two nice images Michael both well processed looks like you had some nice light

Thanks Allan, the light was great.

Two good images Michael, but I really do like the wild shot as imo it`s beautifully taken.

Thanks Dave, I really like this one to.

I've seen quite a few fly agarics around, I suppose they like the warm dry weather, good choice for the theme. The bracken is well lit and nicely done.

Thanks Chris, I timed it right for once with the fungi.

Wild

Nice light, colour and composition.

Thanks Dominic.

Hi Michael,

Bizarre - Er, I don't know what it is, so counts as bizarre for me. I like the vibrant red against the greens.

Wild - A shot where being floaty on the black background doesn't matter, as foliage is expected to be in the air :)
Nicely controlled DoF and lighting, it really stands oout nicely from the background.

Michael

Bizarre, a nice image Michael, like the red against the green of the grass. Nice oof background.

Wild, very nice. did you use flash to get the background black?

Pete

Back