The 52 Weeks, The 8th Installment. COMPLETE! Thank You All!

Lovely 'shroom and fern. Nice light on both.

Hi Michael, sorry it's been so long. Like you, I've just had to do a catch-up but I'm almost there now and trying to catch up with the threads too. Looking back through your recent images I do like the rainbow you caught in your Splash image. It must have taken many attempts and it looks great, arching over the car. I understand the comments about wanting more room in front of the car but I'm guessing you would have done that if you could. In any case, the huge splash and the rainbow are the subjects here so well done :clap:

There have been lots of train images for Pulled, and I'm guilty too. I like the bold colours in this one.

Art - I thought this was graffiti until I saw the second image and I actually prefer that one as you can see more of the unusual subject. It's an interesting one either way and I like the processing of the first one.

Bizarre and Wild are both lovely nature images, well lit and sharp, with good colours and DOF in the first one and the bracken being particularly well lit in the second.

Hi Michael,

Bizarre - Er, I don't know what it is, so counts as bizarre for me. I like the vibrant red against the greens.

Wild - A shot where being floaty on the black background doesn't matter, as foliage is expected to be in the air :)
Nicely controlled DoF and lighting, it really stands oout nicely from the background.

Thanks TIm.

Michael

Bizarre, a nice image Michael, like the red against the green of the grass. Nice oof background.

Wild, very nice. did you use flash to get the background black?

Pete

The strong lighting helped darken the shadows, so i used shadow and blacks adjustment along with contrast and a few masks ehrtr I selectively reduced the exposure, took a bit of time to do, but pleased with the outcome!

Lovely 'shroom and fern. Nice light on both.

Hi Michael, sorry it's been so long. Like you, I've just had to do a catch-up but I'm almost there now and trying to catch up with the threads too. Looking back through your recent images I do like the rainbow you caught in your Splash image. It must have taken many attempts and it looks great, arching over the car. I understand the comments about wanting more room in front of the car but I'm guessing you would have done that if you could. In any case, the huge splash and the rainbow are the subjects here so well done :clap:

There have been lots of train images for Pulled, and I'm guilty too. I like the bold colours in this one.

Art - I thought this was graffiti until I saw the second image and I actually prefer that one as you can see more of the unusual subject. It's an interesting one either way and I like the processing of the first one.

Bizarre and Wild are both lovely nature images, well lit and sharp, with good colours and DOF in the first one and the bracken being particularly well lit in the second.

Many thanks for the catch up there Andrea, much appreciated as always.

I just need to sort through my pics from the holiday, I have loads to go through and I shall update with the latest themes as soon as I can.

Here comes the catch up, my plan of sorting pictures out during my holiday didn't quite work out. I am still on the look out for something filthy!

Autumn, I was going to go with an autumnal scene, but I have decided to go with this picture of a Ring Ouzel, which only visit the islands on migration as they leave there breeding grounds in the north of England, and this one turned up during my holiday to the Isles Of Scilly. Managed a quick picture as I was on my way to a boat trip and it disappeared out of sight seconds after getting the picture. It's also the first time I have managed a frcent enough picture of one too! It's not quite spot on but I like the image a lot.

ring ouzel by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Hollow, Pipers Hole, Tesco, Isles Of Scilly, taken from the coastal path. I would love to venture inside one day, but it is very difficult from what I understand,i

M34A6476 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Model, a simple image of a kinder surprise car out for drive around St Mary's

IMG_1774 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Corner, Part of the wreck of the RMS Mullheim, this was wrecked off Lands End in 2003. High winds caused it to split in to 2 and has ended up here between Lands End and Sennon Cove. Taken from the coastal path looking down with the 150-600. I could have got closer, but the sight is dangerous and my son especially wanted to follow, so stuck with the safe option.

rms mulheim by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Like what you have done with the processing on Filthy, particularly like the shadow.

Mark, well composed, bang on theme and poignant.

Like what you have done with the processing on Filthy, particularly like the shadow.

Mark, well composed, bang on theme and poignant.

Thank you.

Your last 2 pictures in Tuesdays post seem to be the same, I do like "filthy habit"

Thanks for pointing that out Allan, I had totally missed that, adjusted.

Mark - nice shot and bang on theme. Even more poignant for a German company!

Well done on your catch up, Michael - I know it can be very hard to get current again once you've slipped a couple of themes behind.

They're all spot on for each theme, and I especially like the last three; Corner is full of interesting details, angles and contrasts and the red rust really draws the eye. Filthy is a really good idea and I like your composition and the strong shadow, and Mark is a timely and striking image with the bright red colours and contrasting lines.

And now you've overtaken me! :)

Filthy
Nice one. I would like to have seen a bit of smoke rising from the tip. I do like the desaturated look.

Mark
Very poignant. It's simple, but in a good way.

Mark - nice shot and bang on theme. Even more poignant for a German company!

Thanks Dave.

Very apt for the Filthy. I kind of like the strong shadow and the usual shape of it.

Very poignant as a Mark of respect for the fallen heroes.

Thanks Stan, I was going for a strong shadow, so pleased I got it, I used my phone torch for this.

Filthy is the best of the bunch, totally filthy and disgusting habit.

Thanks for the comment Dave.

Well done on your catch up, Michael - I know it can be very hard to get current again once you've slipped a couple of themes behind.

They're all spot on for each theme, and I especially like the last three; Corner is full of interesting details, angles and contrasts and the red rust really draws the eye. Filthy is a really good idea and I like your composition and the strong shadow, and Mark is a timely and striking image with the bright red colours and contrasting lines.

And now you've overtaken me! :)

Hi Andrea, many thanks for the comments, much appreciated as always.

Filthy
Nice one. I would like to have seen a bit of smoke rising from the tip. I do like the desaturated look.

Mark
Very poignant. It's simple, but in a good way.

Hi Dominic, I tried to have a bit of smoke but trying to hard I think! I was happy with the outcome though. I liked the simplicity of the name plate too.

Hi Michael,

Autumn - Perhaps because I don't do ornithology, it doesn't really say Autumn to me. Though I guess the browns in the oof background are autumnal. Nicely captured if a perhaps slightly grainy?

Hollow - Kind of hard to pull off, as if you had recovered the shadows it would have blended in with the rest of the cliff face. So I think it works despite not being able to see into the cave. It give the impression of there being a cave, which is enough :)

Model - Nicely sharp with a sort of TS Effect going on. I may have been tempted to increase the saturation to give it a more toy like appearance?

Corner - The main thread is showing the model shot for Corner (which confused me a little).
Is this something like the Duke of Lancaster? I love the colours you've captured and the look of dereliction. (y)

Filthy - Bang on theme, nicely captured. Mono suits it.

Mark(ed) - I shall have to look out for that shed next time I'm near somewhere that DB work from (Eastleigh perhaps?)
Poignant, on theme and a train. Somehow though it doesn't really do anything for me. Sorry.

Hi Michael,

Autumn - Perhaps because I don't do ornithology, it doesn't really say Autumn to me. Though I guess the browns in the oof background are autumnal. Nicely captured if a perhaps slightly grainy?

Hollow - Kind of hard to pull off, as if you had recovered the shadows it would have blended in with the rest of the cliff face. So I think it works despite not being able to see into the cave. It give the impression of there being a cave, which is enough :)

Model - Nicely sharp with a sort of TS Effect going on. I may have been tempted to increase the saturation to give it a more toy like appearance?

Corner - The main thread is showing the model shot for Corner (which confused me a little).
Is this something like the Duke of Lancaster? I love the colours you've captured and the look of dereliction. (y)

Filthy - Bang on theme, nicely captured. Mono suits it.

Mark(ed) - I shall have to look out for that shed next time I'm near somewhere that DB work from (Eastleigh perhaps?)
Poignant, on theme and a train. Somehow though it doesn't really do anything for me. Sorry.

Hi Tim, many thanks for your comments and thoughts, appreciated as always. Tthe 7d2 sensor does come across noisy at times giving a grainy effect. Sometimes it can get in the way.
Ah, I fogot to edit the main thread with right picture, thought I had, sorry about the confusion, it is the rms mullheim wreck, 2 big pieces of it remain,
As its a nameplate shot I understand it not doing anything, there are a few others on my flickr, I did do this collection

DB Cargo 66100 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Really like your take on Lost, the strong colours of the poppy stand out well against the muted and oof leaves and detritus.

Michael

Autumn, I first thought that was a blackbird, need my glasses testing. Nice write up about it and I know you did not have time on your hands. I like the OOF Background, the focus is good on the eye, it looks better on flickr. Shame about the odd bit of grass, but nothing you could do about it.

Hollow, again it looks better on flickr, nice colours and contrast. To me, being picky I feel you should have made the hole more on lines of 3rds which would also give a bit more sea bottom left. (move it up a tad).

Model, Fits the theme. Im not keen on the oof foreground in this case.

Corner, a couple of nice weathered corners, like the detail in the rusty bits. I feel its too tightly cropped on the left.

Filthy, Nice details in the ash of the fag end and the angle of the box works for me. The picture on the box looks a bit strange.

Mark, nice sharp image, fits the theme. To me there seems a bit of distortion of the lines top and bottom. Could be my eyes.

Lost, Nice find, good use of DOF in this image, nice colours and very topical.

Really like your take on Lost, the strong colours of the poppy stand out well against the muted and oof leaves and detritus.

Good take on the theme, like the shallow dof and the sharp focus on the poppy. Good use of the vignette to attract the attention to the subject.

This is a really nice and powerful image for the theme Michael, very nicely taken and to have just one poppy really makes the shot.

Lost
Nice light, it really highlights the poppy.

A lost poppy commemorating those lost to the wars.
It almost has a Flanders Field feel to it.

Michael

Autumn, I first thought that was a blackbird, need my glasses testing. Nice write up about it and I know you did not have time on your hands. I like the OOF Background, the focus is good on the eye, it looks better on flickr. Shame about the odd bit of grass, but nothing you could do about it.

Hollow, again it looks better on flickr, nice colours and contrast. To me, being picky I feel you should have made the hole more on lines of 3rds which would also give a bit more sea bottom left. (move it up a tad).

Model, Fits the theme. Im not keen on the oof foreground in this case.

Corner, a couple of nice weathered corners, like the detail in the rusty bits. I feel its too tightly cropped on the left.

Filthy, Nice details in the ash of the fag end and the angle of the box works for me. The picture on the box looks a bit strange.

Mark, nice sharp image, fits the theme. To me there seems a bit of distortion of the lines top and bottom. Could be my eyes.

Lost, Nice find, good use of DOF in this image, nice colours and very topical.

Thanks very much everyone for the replies, it is appreciated very much as always. Apologies for not getting round to replying and commenting. I'm exhausted and feel pretty rough atm, my camera hasn't really seen the light either, hopefully I can somehow catch up and be on time for the final themes of 2018.

Er. Not sure what to say about these three really. I think my favourite is the last one with the detail and the white light behind. What theme is it though? Motion? (Is it a throttle pedal?)

Monstrous: spot on theme! Nicely processed....teeny bit hot under the chin, but I love the concept of that beastie peering out of the dark....scary!

Balance: Nice simple composition again, the B&W and DoF works well.

Crush: Beautiful image, perfect for the theme....I was going to do this myself, but couldn't find my garlic press! I love the DoF and toning....it's just right.

Motion: I'm always impressed with star trails, and this is no exception....it takes commitment to sit outside in the freezing cold to get these shots, nicely done and nicely processed.

(y)

Hi Michael,

Lost - what a cracking find for this theme. It conveys 'lost' in two different ways, and the image is spot on with the low POV, the various different colours and textures, and the greens contrasting perfectly with the red poppy. Really good :clap:
Monstrous, Balance and Crush are all very much the same effect and processing, and they all bring the eye straight to the subject. Monstrous gives a little glimpse of a monster's face looming out of the darkness, Balance has good details and contrast at the top of the images but seems to be fading OOF at the bottom, but that might be the effect you were after? The best of the set is Crush with good focus and details where it is important, and the OOF handle adding depth and a good clue to what we are looking at.
Motion - great idea! Well composed and processed and suits B&W too. Well done :clap:

Nice set of pix - crushed work very well!

Michael

Monstrous - it clearly is. I like the stark B&W treatment, something you don't want to meet in the dark.

Balance - you are on a roll with your B&W images. Fits the theme, they are balance on each other. Nice black background.

Crush - your galic here, good details, nice contrast, my favorite of the last 3 images.

Motion - someone had to do it. too cloudy here for star trails.

Pete

Monstrous: spot on theme! Nicely processed....teeny bit hot under the chin, but I love the concept of that beastie peering out of the dark....scary!

Balance: Nice simple composition again, the B&W and DoF works well.

Crush: Beautiful image, perfect for the theme....I was going to do this myself, but couldn't find my garlic press! I love the DoF and toning....it's just right.

Motion: I'm always impressed with star trails, and this is no exception....it takes commitment to sit outside in the freezing cold to get these shots, nicely done and nicely processed.

(y)

Hi Michael,

Lost - what a cracking find for this theme. It conveys 'lost' in two different ways, and the image is spot on with the low POV, the various different colours and textures, and the greens contrasting perfectly with the red poppy. Really good :clap:
Monstrous, Balance and Crush are all very much the same effect and processing, and they all bring the eye straight to the subject. Monstrous gives a little glimpse of a monster's face looming out of the darkness, Balance has good details and contrast at the top of the images but seems to be fading OOF at the bottom, but that might be the effect you were after? The best of the set is Crush with good focus and details where it is important, and the OOF handle adding depth and a good clue to what we are looking at.
Motion - great idea! Well composed and processed and suits B&W too. Well done :clap:

Nice set of pix - crushed work very well!

Michael

Monstrous - it clearly is. I like the stark B&W treatment, something you don't want to meet in the dark.

Balance - you are on a roll with your B&W images. Fits the theme, they are balance on each other. Nice black background.

Crush - your galic here, good details, nice contrast, my favorite of the last 3 images.

Motion - someone had to do it. too cloudy here for star trails.

Pete

A big thank you everyone for the comments! I do apologise once again,for not getting around to comments, half way through the holiday I started coughing really badly and the temp went up, I came back ill and only just about starting to feel like its going away,

And now for the final 2 themes of 2018 which bring my 8th 52 week project to a close!

Party, Going for this image I took on the coach en-route to our accommodation in Gran Canaria,

A coach party

IMG_2619 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

And showcase

Quite an apt theme, we did 2 whale and dolphin trips whilst away, expecting nothing as I always do when going to sea to look for wildlife! How lucky I was to get 4 new cetacean species! The canaries really showcased there!

Species include (going clockwise) Striped Dolphin, Blainville's Beaked Whale, Fin Whale and Brydes Whale. 2 exciting trips I will never forget and popped into a collage to show them all together

image by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Party: great use of leading lines, really takes you on a journey. Clever, inventive interpretation of the theme. Very good indeed.(y)

Showcase: superb, dynamic image, beautifully shot! Great detail in the water, especially as it streams off the back of the Striped Dolphin.
A fitting finale to your 52 challenge Michael, congratulations.
Look forward to your images for 2019, Happy New Year!:)

Party is a cool image looking down the bus at the people.
Showcase is a cracker to finish on, and well done too.

Many thanks Dave, Happy new year!

Party: great use of leading lines, really takes you on a journey. Clever, inventive interpretation of the theme. Very good indeed.(y)

Showcase: superb, dynamic image, beautifully shot! Great detail in the water, especially as it streams off the back of the Striped Dolphin.
A fitting finale to your 52 challenge Michael, congratulations.
Look forward to your images for 2019, Happy New Year!:)

Thanks for looking in Gareth, appreciate the comments.

Happy new year to you!

Well done Michael for finishing again. How lucky you were to see all those whales and dolphins :D and an excellent job of photographing them too :)

Hi Michael,

Party - Can't knock it for the theme. Coach travel = Colds incubation zone...
Not nice to be out there in the Canaries and suffering so not able to properly enjoy it :/

Showcase - Those are some great dolphin shots, good balance of the action on the left with the slightly more subdued images on the right. Great finish to your 52 and good to see you've succumbed to doing a 9th!

Hi Michael, the coach was a good idea for Party and it's a good image too, with the strong lines leading to the sunlight at the front, and the chap sharply in profile in the foreground.
You were so lucky to see all those whales and dolphins and I like the way you have arranged them, as Tim says, with the action in the main frame on the left and the more sedate ones in the set on the right. What a great way to finish the year/

Well done on finishing AGAIN and see you in 2019!

Well done Michael for finishing again. How lucky you were to see all those whales and dolphins :D and an excellent job of photographing them too :)

Thanks Georgina, I was over the moon on the 1st trip and it was amazing to connect with them on both trips!

Hi Michael,

Party - Can't knock it for the theme. Coach travel = Colds incubation zone...
Not nice to be out there in the Canaries and suffering so not able to properly enjoy it :/

Showcase - Those are some great dolphin shots, good balance of the action on the left with the slightly more subdued images on the right. Great finish to your 52 and good to see you've succumbed to doing a 9th!

I was very pleased with them, considering I only took the little m50, and borrowed my dads 70-300, leaving the big kit at home with not knowing what to expect nature wise!

Hi Michael, the coach was a good idea for Party and it's a good image too, with the strong lines leading to the sunlight at the front, and the chap sharply in profile in the foreground.
You were so lucky to see all those whales and dolphins and I like the way you have arranged them, as Tim says, with the action in the main frame on the left and the more sedate ones in the set on the right. What a great way to finish the year/

Well done on finishing AGAIN and see you in 2019!

Thank you Andrea, the person on the coach made it for me in the position I managed to capture. Very lucky indeed, I didn't expect anything as good as this! See you in 2019!

Happy new to you all!

Back