The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

1. I love primes. I'm planning on buying the 18mm Fuji if it ever gets an update. I'm reluctantly going to get a 23mm with whichever body I chose.

The 18mm has been updated! with an F1.4 version. I think its unlikely we will see a low cost wider aperture 18mm lens, so its either the original F2 or the new F1.4

It really was/still is a close call for me between the X-S10 and X-T3. I love the deep, deep grip on the S10. That's a big selling point for me. The IBIS is also a bonus although I'm ok without. I love the size of the S10 too. PASM - I don't really know how I feel on that.

Now I feel I'm on the fence again!!! Looks like I'm off to Youtube to watch more stuff on the S10!!

Any advice from seasoned Fuji users please?

Bear in mind the following:

1. I own the Sony a9 and Ricoh GR3 and won't be parting with either (well, that's the plan!!)
  2. I never, ever do video. Ever. I have no plans to do so either.
  3. I mainly shoot street nowadays. 99% of what I do is this genre. My Ricoh, for me, is a dedicated street camera. The Fuji and Sony will both do street plus everything else I want them to if I ever need to shoot outside of street. I'm trying to say my bases should be covered by Fuji and Sony.
  4. I'm ok if a camera is weather sealed or not. That doesn't faze me.
  5. I love primes. I'm planning on buying the 18mm Fuji if it ever gets an update. I'm reluctantly going to get a 23mm with whichever body I chose.

X-S10 PASM vs X-T Dials - remember I've used PASM on all my digital cameras so I'm not yet using something that you all love. Of course, I love the idea of dedicated dials for speed, ƒ and ISO, but, it's not yet ingrained in me like you all.

TIA
The X-S10 is a cracker. I dismissed it as a bit of a toy when I first saw the FujiFilm launch adverts but curiosity got the better of me and as I was thinking of an X-E4 to replace my trusty X-E3, I did a back to back test with a selection of lenses and bought the X-S10 on the spot.

It has fast become my go-to body over my X-H1, X-T3 and X-T4 because it is so light and compact. There is absolutely no IQ difference with the X-T4, the grip is superb and the PASM dial is fine (I have a Sony RX10 iv so nothing new). IBIS is excellent and as I use it with a 14mm f2.8, a 16mm f1.4 and the fantastic 90mm (all non IOS) it really does make a difference, especially so with the 90mm. The only thing I wish FujiFilm had upped on the X-S10 is the EVF which is eclipsed by the others but still very useable.

Where I have really noticed a difference is when want to take out a long telephoto lens. My back is eternaly grateful when the X-T4 and the 100-400mm are left behind and the superb 70-300mm with the teleconverters is mounted on the X-S10. It is a lovely combination.

If I had to choose between my X-H1/X-T3 and T4 bodies were I starting out again, the diminutive little X-S10 would be the one I would pick.....until the X-H2 comes out that is........................

It really was/still is a close call for me between the X-S10 and X-T3. I love the deep, deep grip on the S10. That's a big selling point for me. The IBIS is also a bonus although I'm ok without. I love the size of the S10 too. PASM - I don't really know how I feel on that.

Now I feel I'm on the fence again!!! Looks like I'm off to Youtube to watch more stuff on the S10!!

Any advice from seasoned Fuji users please?

Bear in mind the following:

1. I own the Sony a9 and Ricoh GR3 and won't be parting with either (well, that's the plan!!)
  2. I never, ever do video. Ever. I have no plans to do so either.
  3. I mainly shoot street nowadays. 99% of what I do is this genre. My Ricoh, for me, is a dedicated street camera. The Fuji and Sony will both do street plus everything else I want them to if I ever need to shoot outside of street. I'm trying to say my bases should be covered by Fuji and Sony.
  4. I'm ok if a camera is weather sealed or not. That doesn't faze me.
  5. I love primes. I'm planning on buying the 18mm Fuji if it ever gets an update. I'm reluctantly going to get a 23mm with whichever body I chose.

X-S10 PASM vs X-T Dials - remember I've used PASM on all my digital cameras so I'm not yet using something that you all love. Of course, I love the idea of dedicated dials for speed, ƒ and ISO, but, it's not yet ingrained in me like you all.

TIA

There is an update to the 18mm, f/1.4 and weather resistant.

Remember the first rule of buying new kit is to set a budget, then double it :)

The X-S10 is a cracker. I dismissed it as a bit of a toy when I first saw the FujiFilm launch adverts but curiosity got the better of me and as I was thinking of an X-E4 to replace my trusty X-E3, I did a back to back test with a selection of lenses and bought the X-S10 on the spot.

It has fast become my go-to body over my X-H1, X-T3 and X-T4 because it is so light and compact. There is absolutely no IQ difference with the X-T4, the grip is superb and the PASM dial is fine (I have a Sony RX10 iv so nothing new). IBIS is excellent and as I use it with a 14mm f2.8, a 16mm f1.4 and the fantastic 90mm (all non IOS) it really does make a difference, especially so with the 90mm. The only thing I wish FujiFilm had upped on the X-S10 is the EVF which is eclipsed by the others but still very useable.

Where I have really noticed a difference is when want to take out a long telephoto lens. My back is eternaly grateful when the X-T4 and the 100-400mm are left behind and the superb 70-300mm with the teleconverters is mounted on the X-S10. It is a lovely combination.

If I had to choose between my X-H1/X-T3 and T4 bodies were I starting out again, the diminutive little X-S10 would be the one I would pick.....until the X-H2 comes out that is........................
Many thanks for the reply. Hugely appreciated.

Park Cameras have accepted my description of my Sony 16-35 and have now offered me their initial price (same £ as before seeing the lens). This will almost cover the cost of either a brand new X-T3 and lens, or an X-S10 and lens.

I've looked at the S/H market and there's no bargains to be had.

Park and LCE are offering 2 year warranties on Fuji so that rules out Grey for me. LCE are chucking in the £100 hand bracket for free too with both the S10 and T3.

So after reading your reply, that's threw a spanner in the works once again!! I'd decided yesterday evening to settle on the 3. Now I'm unsure once again. My biggest concern with the S10 is the ability (or lack of) to reassign the command dials. I'm sure Fuji may do a firmware update to fix this but I wouldn't want to hold my breath. I came to the conclusion I could live with PASM, although separate controls would be very welcome. The grip on the S10 is a biggie for me. I have large hands and I know that would suit me massively. Ergonomics are a big deal for me. The smaller size of it too is pulling me.

Enough ramblings from me. I'll be back soon once I make up my mind.

Park Cameras have accepted my description of my Sony 16-35 and have now offered me their initial price (same £ as before seeing the lens). This will almost cover the cost of either a brand new X-T3 and lens, or an X-S10 and lens.

Park and LCE are offering 2 year warranties on Fuji so that rules out Grey for me. LCE are chucking in the £100 hand bracket for free too with both the S10 and T3.

So after reading your reply, that's threw a spanner in the works once again!! I'd decided yesterday evening to settle on the 3. Now I'm unsure once again. My biggest concern with the S10 is the ability (or lack of) to reassign the command dials. I'm sure Fuji may do a firmware update to fix this but I wouldn't want to hold my breath. I came to the conclusion I could live with PASM, although separate controls would be very welcome. The grip on the S10 is a biggie for me. I have large hands and I know that would suit me massively. Ergonomics are a big deal for me. The smaller size of it too is pulling me.

There is no wrong answer here. Either one is going to make you very happy.

For what it's worth, I have big hands too, and love my X-T3. If I wanted a deep grip and PASM, I'd buy a DSLR. The only draw the XS10 had for me was the IBIS, and in the end that just wasn't very important to me.

Pleasure Mark,

Here is another spanner! The FujiFilm Refurb shop have the X-S10 body for £749 and both silver and black X-T3 bodies for £799. Everything I have bought off them has been 'as new'.

Not sure what grip LCE have offered with the X-S10 as FujiFilm do not list one. I have SmallRig grips on all my Fuji's and they are superb bits of kit. The X-S10 one was £31 on EBay after making an offer.

Fair comment regarding the Command Dials which did annoy me at first and I too hope that FujiFilm will consider a future firmware update. But in all honesty it doesnt bother me now.

If you think that the PASM/Command dial features or lack thereof are deciders then the dual card slots, far superior EVF and tilting LCD of the X-T3 are compelling features. Add in the command dials etc and it may be that the lure of those features may swing it. If you do go for the refurb bodies then £50 extra for the X-T3 may be money well spent.

"I used to be indecisive, but now I am not so sure"!

Good luck, you cannot go wrong with either body.

Pleasure Mark,

Here is another spanner! The FujiFilm Refurb shop have the X-S10 body for £749 and both silver and black X-T3 bodies for £799. Everything I have bought off them has been 'as new'.

Not sure what grip LCE have offered with the X-S10 as FujiFilm do not list one. I have SmallRig grips on all my Fuji's and they are superb bits of kit. The X-S10 one was £31 on EBay after making an offer.

Fair comment regarding the Command Dials which did annoy me at first and I too hope that FujiFilm will consider a future firmware update. But in all honesty it doesnt bother me now.

If you think that the PASM/Command dial features or lack thereof are deciders then the dual card slots, far superior EVF and tilting LCD of the X-T3 are compelling features. Add in the command dials etc and it may be that the lure of those features may swing it. If you do go for the refurb bodies then £50 extra for the X-T3 may be money well spent.

"I used to be indecisive, but now I am not so sure"!

Good luck, you cannot go wrong with either body.
Thank you so much for all your help, and to everyone else who contributed.

In the end, I plumped for a brand new, all black, X-T3 and the 18-55. I'm no zoom fan but I thought I'd give it a go. I also don't want to do it disservice by calling it a kit lens. I know there's love out there in the tons for Fuji glass. Saying that, I'll definitely be buying some primes in the next few weeks.

I got the metal hand grip chucked in and Park kindly matched LCE there. Because I didn't take the cash for my lens, the X-T3 is already on its way to me. Bonus!

I do street and bought an all-black camera. Sorry to say, I am not one of those who believe a black camera makes you stealth! Both finishes are lovely, I just slightly prefer the black over silver. If the grey was available, I'd have most likely gone that route!

I looked on the Refurb Shop, thanks for the heads-up. In the end, the maths of Park won. £800ish body, plus £600ish lens and £100 metal grip, 2 year warranty and free delivery for £1199 came up trumps.

Reasons for the X-T3 over the S10 - not many tbh. It was really, really hard choosing. Having never tried Fuji before, PASM wasn't an issue as such for me. However, where PASM was, was that Fuji owners do love the independent controls - that had some tiny sway. The weather sealing went some way to swaying me - I know I still need to use WR lenses though and the 18-55 isn't. I just wanted the option/security of some protection. I know it's not waterproof, but I do sometimes shoot in damp/wet conditions with a camera rain coat.

I have IBIS on my GR and a9. IBIS definitely has its place when videoing - something I'll never do. For what I shoot, I can get easily away with not having it and that played no part in my decision making.

Dual card slots - I used to get paranoid when I started using 2 slots when I was a Nikon man. The world was ok before 2 slots, its still ok now! The single slot on the S10 played no part in my decision making. I see an extra slot on the X-T3 as a bonus now, nothing more.

The deep grip and smaller form of the S10 lured me. I know that it's an excellent camera and in the end, it's actually the camera that pulled me (finally) into Fuji. The marketing men of Fuji can pat themselves on the back as I believe that was one of the main aims of dropping on PASM on the S10 - to lure in new punters! Ok, I didn't come because of that, but I still did join Fuji because of the X-S10 (in a roundabout way!!!

I firmly believe I'd have been extremely happy with the S10. Reading my decisions, there was nothing in it in the end.

Peace out!!

Quick update.

Really enjoying the X-T3

Obviously muscle memory is a problem but they will subside soon.

Took it out for a spin around Coventry yesterday and Leicester today.

Hated all my shots yesterday !! But, it was mostly to try to get to know the camera than be successful with the actual photos.

I had a problem trying Aperture Priority but managed to get it going once I got home!!

I keep accidentally pressing the Fn button on the front (below the shutter) ! I’ve now set it to Histogram so it may as well be useful if I accidentally press it!

Not pushed ISO hard but used 2000+ today and 3.2k yesterday. I’m very happy with how clean the images are at those figures . I’ve not tried 6k yet but I’m sure I’ll be fine with that when I use it.

Definitely something about the sky, in the mono that is really captivating (y)

Had a look but couldn't find anything online, are there any Fuji store discount codes in use?

I had trouble with my 70-200 this morning and couldn't get the aperture to change, no matter how many times I turned the aperture ring. I got home worried, until I found a button on the top of the lens that must be the auto aperture and guessing I moved it - doh!!!

With the low cost of cards these days, just buy extra cards, and swap them out every few days. To be honest, I never go on a trip, overnight or longer, without a laptop and my portable drive.
I use a RavPower File hub and Sandisk portable SSD drive in addition to dual cards in the camera.

Out today for a five mile walk in Griffin Forest, near Aberfeldy, Central Scotland, first time using the trusty old X-Pro1 in anger for ages.

Alfie

Alfie by APM Photography, on Flickr

Viltrox 85 @ f/1.8

mac

Last edited:
Back