weekly TPDK's 52 of 2017 - Wk 49 to 52 Added and COMPLETE

With such a black background I might have been tempted to remove your sleeves just leaving a pair of hands like Thing on Addams Family for a little fun.

(y)

Thanks for the background info on bringing out the colour in your structure shot - it works really well. I would never think of doing something like that. I really like routine as well - something slightly surreal about it on all that black. Very creative!

haha keep up the sterling work ;) Nice set up too.

Good idea for the theme, slight nit-pick is that the monitors look a bit floaty to me but nicely lit with good details.
Thanks Chris :)

Very true mate yes they do, I did try and keep some of the stands in but then the clutter of cables, speakers, expansion drives and gloss black desk reflections became a nightmare :D

Blimey ... that's how it's done. Keep at it you multi taskers. :D
Ahhh yes it is, behind the scenes secrets out :D

Hey DK ... all fits the frame, all kind of minimal, all good result.
Cool - Cheers David :)

Hey :)

Routine, great POV, symmetry and detail.

If you could have got blurred movement in your hands that would have been super.
Hmmmm never even thought of that mate, nice idea but too late :D

Two monitors, hmmm, might investigate :)

Cheers.
DAMN mate... its a MUST, LightRoom takes full advantage of it, close in editing on one screen and can have the full image on the other seeing what the changes do to the whole pic, I would be without two now (y)

Routine of sorting out spreadsheets and updating, clever take on theme and like the two screens :)
Thank you David :)

Whole - A peaceful, subdued scene, it looks like wall art
Cheers Nick :)
Structure - In conrast to the previous shot, love the vibrant colours and the way you've brought them out aginst the rest of the scene
Thanks again Nick, I was hoping it wasn't too false looking :)
Routine - Very effective processing - I was wondering how you got such a black BG
Thanks Nick... not the quickest of ways of doing it, but very effective for me :D

its a good POV well done for getting it must have been difficult, it reminds me of something, a bit 1984 the novel not the year maybe something authoritarian :thinking:
Hmmm now that sounds deep :D... Thank you Allan :)

Hey Mark :)

Great image for Structure (funnily enough I have a similar one!) defiantly need a return visit in the better weather. There were some great structures there.
Ahhh cool would like to see your shot... sounds a good plan to visit when the light is a tad better, wish I had a crystal ball for that :)

Routine - Great take on the theme love the PoV I agree with Andy if your fingers had been slightly blurred then it would have added that extra but to the image.
Thanks again David, I wish I had thought of it :D

whole - really peaceful, almost looks like a painting. colours feel all washed out, but that adds to the feels
Thank you Dom :)

Now... washed out, have you seen the North Sea in February :D
structure - nice colours, looks almost superimposed the way you've edited it together, so vibrant!
Thanks... I will take that as a compliment :D
routine - now we know how it feels :) i like the distinct separation of the monitors and the hands/keyboard against black background. must have been quite hard to frame and take?!
Thank you again... and yes it was a tad of a pain to set up, but hey the 52 for you :)

Haha Dean, very good.
Works well for the theme. As others have already said, you've got symmetry, you've got a strong black background and it does tell a story.
:)
Cheers Tim :)

if only my desk were so clutter free! full marks for use of tripod, timer, and getting into position. i like this a lot.
Thank you :) - I wish mine was that clutter free too :LOL:

With such a black background I might have been tempted to remove your sleeves just leaving a pair of hands like Thing on Addams Family for a little fun.

(y)
Hahaaaa yes that would have been cool :D

Love the angle DK and all that blackness ...is that a word ?? anyway I think it looks great.
Thank you Susie :) and as for Blackness, hell yes if not I like it anyway :)

Thanks for keeping up the spreadsheet ... it must be a bind at times so well done to you :)
Awwwwe thank you Susie, not a bind, but much easier when on my PC, Google sheets are sometimes a pain in the rear on my laptop :(

Thanks for the background info on bringing out the colour in your structure shot - it works really well. I would never think of doing something like that. I really like routine as well - something slightly surreal about it on all that black. Very creative!
Thank you Em, on both lots of feedback :)

haha keep up the sterling work ;) Nice set up too.
Haaaa thanks Paul :)

Well it certainly is a Routine :p
Ohhh yes, no shoehorn to be seen here :D

Love the pov and all the blackness too. As Emma says, very creative :clap:
Cheers much so Jill :)

And time again for a quick catch up...

A shot taken on Sunday, and the best I could get to fit the theme with the location and 'props' available... I give you Cathy :)

Wk 9 - a musical 'Number'

Week 9 - Number by TP DK, on Flickr

I thought the above young lady was your attractive shot, what has numbers got to do with it.:thinking:

Both very nice images and each fitting for the theme. Nothing to criticise!

First pic is fine for both foe me too Dean.
I like the model and the background in the second,I just feel the lighting OCF (?) is a little harsh and maybe not mounted quite high enough, as the bottom of the dress is quite dark....

Hey DK ... Have you broken out into a whole new style? Excellent, kept them coming. (y)

#2 ("attractive") .... class act. (y)

Last edited:
Both nice images but the first one for me could work for both themes its a great photo
Thank you Allan...I think so too, but thought better of just doing one :D

Both very nice images and each fitting for the theme. Nothing to criticise!
Thank you Bernd :cool:

Great photos and fine models. I wouldn't no where to start with studio/portrait type of work.
Thank you Chris :)

To be honest I did have to wing it a bit to say the least :D
Attractive, and yes Jess is lovely. I like this one a lot, as Jess is in a great pose, lovely eyes and like the shadow and paint peeling off the walls :plus1::plus1:
Thank you Dave, agreed, she was great to work with :)

First pic is fine for both foe me too Dean.
I like the model and the background in the second,I just feel the lighting OCF (?) is a little harsh and maybe not mounted quite high enough, as the bottom of the dress is quite dark....
Thank you Mark :)

Yes it was OCF, I hadn't noticed to be honest, but I did deepen the blacks to try and make them as dark as possible without losing detail :)

Hey DK ... Have you broken out into a whole new style? Excellent, kept them coming. (y)

#2 ("attractive") .... class act. (y)
Hahaaa yes thank you David, I am trying to broaden my abilities, it was a great day and plan to do much more of this type of image :)

Ooh - both really attention grabbing shots. Love the styling and bg in the first and the shadow works brilliantly in the second :clap:
Ooo Thank you Em :) :)

Great work for both shots. The numbers one edges it for me, the smoky background, lighting, pose and space in the shot all work very well. The second shot is very good but not quite up to the first for me, the shadow of her face gets a little lost on the window which is a shame.

Great work for both shots. The numbers one edges it for me, the smoky background, lighting, pose and space in the shot all work very well. The second shot is very good but not quite up to the first for me, the shadow of her face gets a little lost on the window which is a shame.
Thank you Steve... yes I see what you mean, that would have been cool to get, maybe I can PP some shadow in that pane - AND lighten the bottom of the dress that I also didn't spot :thinking:

Hey DK.
Numbers - Stunning shot DK, nicely framed by the smoke, sharp, perfect colour.
Thank you Tim :)
Attractive - Great counterpoint of the beautiful Jess against the run down background.

Both are excellent shots :)
Thanks again :)

Two very eye catching shots DK ...both beautifully posed in great settings but I think image #1 just has the slight edge for me :clap:
Cool, thank you Susie, I enjoyed doing these a lot, made a nice change :)

Right...

It has been a busy week, so although I took my shot last Saturday, I have been editing other stuff in the evenings and ran out of time to do these bits, but hey, good to be busy :)

When last weeks theme 'Dark' was announced I had an idea what to do, having already planned the Saturday evening out with my camera, I decided to have a play around with my cameras settings and check its capabilities, nothing special I just set myself a goal to stay in Manual for the whole evening for a change rather than my usual Aperture Priority mode, the following was shot at the same settings as the rest in the evening, give or take a tweak every now and then, but for this shot I just made sure my Speedlight did not fire.

Here is the histogram...

Histogram by TP DK, on Flickr

Here is the RAW image...

Wk 11 - Dark RAW by TP DK, on Flickr

And here is the recovered image, not brilliant I know, but being around 5 stops under exposed I am really impressed with todays sensors and the amount of detail captured and able to be recovered (if you don't look too close)...

Wk 11 Dark - with a 'few' tweaks in PP :D

Wk 11 - Dark edited with +5 stops by TP DK, on Flickr

Is that your 5d4 DK?
The recovery is pretty good isn't it. It's not going to win awards, but if the shot was a once in a lifetime event, and the settings happened to be wrong, then it's brilliant to know what can be recovered.
I don't think my 5d3 is anywhere near that.
Works perfectly for the theme.
(y)

Always good to do something different DK, and this is an interesting experiment with amazing results.

Its amazing what LR can save these days isnt it ?
It certainly is Mark :)

Well the raw file is definitely dark and it certainly shows what can be recovered
Yup :)

Is that your 5d4 DK?
It is Tim yes :)
The recovery is pretty good isn't it. It's not going to win awards, but if the shot was a once in a lifetime event, and the settings happened to be wrong, then it's brilliant to know what can be recovered.
Certainly not an award winning shot no :D but that wasn't the idea as you know, it does make me now think, that I will have to check images out a bit more now before I delete them :)
I don't think my 5d3 is anywhere near that.
Works perfectly for the theme.
(y)
Thank you Tim :) The 5d3 was okay for recovery but nowhere near as this in my opinion, I did some high 32,000 iso shots as well, and detail was recoverable in them too :)

Always good to do something different DK, and this is an interesting experiment with amazing results.
Thank you David, yes it is good to do something different for sure :)

Back