What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

While others waited patiently for the Collared Pratincole, I took a walk to avoid the crowds and was rewarded by a lovely bittern, though the light was poor - typical, never had one fly this slow and low before. Oh, for the sunshine..... I did eventually spot the Praticole, and it’s been a rare bird week.. we had 9 Bee Eaters locally a few days ago, which I was also lucky enough to spot. 374A3E67-D183-4731-BAEE-11FE42218460.jpeg7BCEF75B-6EC9-4A6B-9C16-257C9A94C2D1.jpeg

Last edited:
When you have had a bit of an iffy day with difficult light, uncoperative birds, lovely marsh harriers that won't come nearer than 200 yards and people saying ' oh yeah 5 marsh harriers up this morning and 2 bitterns ' - when you were not there in the morning - it is good to know that Robins still love the paparazzi

Robin- by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

Been there lol... though I have had my fair share of lucky birds this week to redress the balance. I think there's a chasm between what a birder with a scope and a photographer find acceptable though, any greyer and the bittern would've been bitterness....
for what it's worth, finally looked at LR and dragged as much out of the Collared Pratincole as I could. Flighty, fast small bird on a grey mizzle morning!2A3A8518-FEB0-49E6-88A6-061BA668D0F3.jpeg

Last edited:
An unexpected Barn owl yesterday, unfortunately that close I clipped its tail feathers and taken through vegetation and one a little distant with his tea.

perched.jpg

barn owl.jpg

Not the best photo but where do you point the focus point when there are four Green Woodpeckers on a pole, three juveiles and the male adult. Nefyn in the hills, Gwynedd.

Attachments

• 4 in all.jpg
    4 in all.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 14
Today we have 2 young Blue Tits stopping for a quick chat.... late in the afternoon so pushed iso to 2200 @ f6.3 1/1000th. Unfortunately the rope in the background is a bit distracting and my attempt at PP has not helped !H Blue Tits.jpg

Very lucky to find a Merlin nest in our local recording area yesterday with 4 chicks, fantastic to see :love:

Edit- Anyone with concerns about how I got these photos, please see this post here, thanks :)

Merlin chick 1024 SS.jpg

Merlin chicks 1024.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of days over at Flamborough Thursday/Friday and news came through the Black-browed Albatross was back on the sea off Bempton, having not been seen since Tuesday morning.

There's been some stunning shots of it on the net but this was the best I got from 400yrds out, at least if I never see it again I can say I was there :LOL:

BBA.JPG

Also an obliging young Kestrel and flyby Fulmar

Immature Kestrel.jpg

Fulmar.jpg

Don't normally take pictures on feeders, but when you see this

51311224706_2834581b3f_o.jpg

and a gobby juvenile magpie

51310478072_a916d463d1_o.jpg

Back