SamuelSlade's Photo52 4 2011 : Week 52 Glass + Nature added

Record - Interesting idea, it's a shame the last half is over exposed. Is it photography though :thinking:

a video camera would have compensated for the light changes...and considering 3600+ PHOTOS ... i exposed for light on a green background, set shutter speed and aperature... define photography...?? :razz:

young neil...its defo Wagner at full volume... what time do you usually rise on a saturday? :D

:nono::nono::nono::nono:

You had to correct him....now that would have been funny. Kev stood in a field saying, "Yyyesss, I'm the first here.....then after several hours.....:thinking:, eerrr, I guess I'm a tad early:nuts:"

I just spat my tea out. :LOL:
Do you think he's seen it yet, I could edit my post :LOL::LOL:

Kev

Sorry it's taken me so long to comment on your Mono rock shot for Blur.

Being honest I don't like it... and it's taken me a few looks to decide that. The rocks themselves look truly amazing... but the blurred bit at the front... I simply just find really annoying... It gets in the way for me of a scene that shouts ansel adams work... and deserves a sweeping sharp landscape shot. I may have liked this shot a bit better if the foreground was sharp and the background blurred... but then that would be a waste of the scene too....I just love the look of that location... want to go!!!!

God I really love the sharpness and tones of your B and W conversion... I just really would prob prefer to see your other shots from this location (which is???? BTW!) without the blurred foreground....

If im being honest though I have never liked blurred foreground shots. My wife will concur with this as she has taken a few over the years which she loves... but I just dont get it....

Sorry to be so negative on both your blurred shots... I just know you have a better shot in you!

Mark

Kev

Sorry it's taken me so long to comment on your Mono rock shot for Blur.

Being honest I don't like it... and it's taken me a few looks to decide that. The rocks themselves look truly amazing... but the blurred bit at the front... I simply just find really annoying... It gets in the way for me of a scene that shouts ansel adams work... and deserves a sweeping sharp landscape shot. I may have liked this shot a bit better if the foreground was sharp and the background blurred... but then that would be a waste of the scene too....I just love the look of that location... want to go!!!!

God I really love the sharpness and tones of your B and W conversion... I just really would prob prefer to see your other shots from this location (which is???? BTW!) without the blurred foreground....

If im being honest though I have never liked blurred foreground shots. My wife will concur with this as she has taken a few over the years which she loves... but I just dont get it....

Sorry to be so negative on both your blurred shots... I just know you have a better shot in you!

Mark

thanks again mark. i can slightly see where you're coming from re: the blurred foreground...but i used the ladder support (for thats what it is) to gframe the shot, opposed to PP it myself..and in truth ..i wanted to do something other than motion blur etc that many TP52 have submitted (which isn't a bad thing surely) ... because i am trying to be different :naughty:

thank you for the compliment though, [I just know you have a better shot in you!]...but i thinks i'll carry on running askew to the pack (y)(y)

Err, it's in three weeks Kev; Saturday 24th September!

:nono:

You had to correct him....now that would have been funny. Kev stood in a field saying, "Yyyesss, I'm the first here.....then after several hours.....:thinking:, eerrr, I guess I'm a tad early:nuts:"

I just spat my tea out. :LOL:
Do you think he's seen it yet, I could edit my post :LOL::LOL:

guys... :D ...

1) you really think i hadn't put a highly encrypted note on the calendar that even i can't read :thinking: for the 24th ...and nothing for the 17th??? ...

and

b) you REALLY think i'll be the sort to stand in a field ... exposing myself like that... you chaps are a tad funny at times

ps ...least now i know what those three strange hieroglyph on the calendar are... :naughty: i had been wondering.....thought maybe it was the wife's birthday ... least i remember that these days , not

Hi Kev

apologies for missing so many of your images :crying:

Work...really like this image...graininess works wonderfully well...where did you get this shot ?

Blur...liking the waterfull shot but not half as much as the Rocks image .B&W suits t perfectly & think it would look great as a poster or canvas:clap:

your image for Evolution is stunning...really envy your pp ability :clap:

Record...truly amazing...brilliant idea & really well executed...watched it several times...fascinating:clap:

Hi Kev

apologies for missing so many of your images :crying:

Work...really like this image...graininess works wonderfully well...where did you get this shot ?

Blur...liking the waterfull shot but not half as much as the Rocks image .B&W suits t perfectly & think it would look great as a poster or canvas:clap:

your image for Evolution is stunning...really envy your pp ability :clap:

Record...truly amazing...brilliant idea & really well executed...watched it several times...fascinating:clap:

thanks lynne for all your comments. the WORK shot was at a 1940s weekend, boy that took me back ... there was a German unit set up camp and this shot beckoned taking...

wow..what an idea..on canvas... (y)

evolution was hell to take...trying to get the angle of the camera was the worst bit.

as for Record..i'm still watching it... :shrug: love it..

Evening stroll through city centre revealed new restaurant...and how fitting for the theme..i love it... might go back tomorrow and take some more of the live music in the front.

Like it. You did well with the exposure.

What would really make it for me, was having just the couple on the left in the restaurant, and just a bit more of the guy's head.

For some reason, it reminded me of a favourite Hopper painting of mine

Cheers and I look forward to some more...(y)

Like it. You did well with the exposure.

What would really make it for me, was having just the couple on the left in the restaurant, and just a bit more of the guy's head.

For some reason, it reminded me of a favourite Hopper painting of mine

Cheers and I look forward to some more...(y)

Time : great photo - so apt!

A moment captured in time....

thanks guys.. (y) ... my main worry was being level.. as i have a habit of being on the slant due to a worrying case of the cooking sherry

Hiya Kev,

Hope you are keeping well!

Have to say I love your photo for 'Time' .... I like the way you have captured the warmth, relaxation and natural feel to the place which makes it look very inviting.

My only tiny niggle is that the lights hanging from the ceiling look a tad blown, but considering the lighting conditions you probably had to work with, you have done well.

Well spotted and right on theme!

Good one (y)

Cheers

Dawn :)

thanks dawn....i'm gooood... and thanks for the detailed critique... yes the lights do look blown..though i guess because of their type perhaps... if theyd have been defused sorts maybe been different..but i think they are clear glass???... tried to go back last night... but rain stopped play and it wasn't open like it was here... :( ...and clouds meant no moooon.... (y)

Wow, you have been busy :)
I love the work shot, looks great in B&W, but I think the grain is a bit heavy to convey OLD photo. To me it looks like a heavily pushed B&W (which is not a bad thing). I think a few scratches and a bit of fading could really age the shot.

The blurry waterfall doesn't work for me, not point of interest and the water is not blurry enough (Some good ND filters could have really held back the light giving a really slow shutter speed), but the B&W rocks shot is fantastic!!!! Love the natural frame you made using the features of the landscape. :clap::clap:

The time shot i'm in two minds over. :thinking: Well shot, well exposed and processed, but I find it hard to latch onto anything. I think it might be the squareness of the shot and the way the pillar dissects the photo into two.

Anyway, great stuff, and looking forward to your next lot of work.

Kind rgds

Adie

Wow, you have been busy :)
I love the work shot, looks great in B&W, but I think the grain is a bit heavy to convey OLD photo. To me it looks like a heavily pushed B&W (which is not a bad thing). I think a few scratches and a bit of fading could really age the shot.

thanks adie..i see what you mean about grain, maybe it was too large..and fading...didn't think of that..:thinking: mmm?

The blurry waterfall doesn't work for me, not point of interest and the water is not blurry enough (Some good ND filters could have really held back the light giving a really slow shutter speed), but the B&W rocks shot is fantastic!!!! Love the natural frame you made using the features of the landscape. :clap::clap:

yeah..i'm glad i took the second shot for this... i was happy with the blurred water, and for hand held + water i liked it..BUT not as much as the rocks... seeing it through the frame of the ladder instantly bit me and said take me...:bat:

The time shot i'm in two minds over. :thinking: Well shot, well exposed and processed, but I find it hard to latch onto anything. I think it might be the squareness of the shot and the way the pillar dissects the photo into two.

Anyway, great stuff, and looking forward to your next lot of work.

Kind rgds

Adie

i know what you mean about the squareness.. but i think thats what i had in mind.. the mind sees perhaps two rooms yet you know its one. i wanted to go back and perhaps focus in on some diners or the musician? just for my own pratice but it wasn't to be with the rain we've been getting..

thanks muchly. (y)

6199017354_e7d1c77dee_b.jpg

SOTC ... i wanted to do handheld...but think about the shot..so took a variety of rides at different shutter speeds and ap to see what effect the different combinations had on the outcome.. and this was the result of my FUN ...

WHY SOTC ... because i love the colour and the motion...and i didn't want to have the foreground straight, this ride was going fast, the colour vibrant..the Name of the ride to stand out in perspective. I like it... (y) nuff said..

6198500753_81f91d7050_b.jpg

Volume....you're thinking..how? ... i thought body of water..volume of water... but then we've been having dense foggy mornings that simply wiped away the lovely fen landscape... so i thought of this as a different type of 'body of water' .. droplets suspended in the air, when looked through was thick enough to obscure the view.

this is practically SOTC again... i love the brown/sepia tone to the shot, the sun muted by the layers of water....at one point the sun resembled the moon, a white circular disc in the sky???? the fag making it possible to stare right at it... and wonder :thinking:

Nice fun shot, real good colours and nice and sharp. What shutter speed was that one?

I like the volume shot alot, I don't particuarly relate it to the theme but it's a great photo. Lovely composition and I like the colour alot. If only that car in the distance wasn't there.
(y)

Hi Kev, liking the colours of the fun shot, and I love your volume photograph! everything about it is spot on for me. Well done.

thanks michael, must admit that wasn't the worst i had gotten round here.. but he who dares ... etc.. (y) well..he who worries the fog would be underexposed and the sun halo too bright.. :shrug:

Nice fun shot, real good colours and nice and sharp. What shutter speed was that one?

I like the volume shot alot, I don't particuarly relate it to the theme but it's a great photo. Lovely composition and I like the colour alot. If only that car in the distance wasn't there.
(y)

Thanks Joe, Fun was f11 at 1/4 sec at ISO 800 ... so for handheld i love the result.

...and ssshh about volume... its lateral thinking, i thought body of water = lake/river .. but you invert that body of water and you get waterfall, still volume of water cascading down, just in freefall.. then you separate that water into droplets small enough to become moisture vapour, but large enough to be suspended in the air ..NOW...the interesting point of fact is that FOG appears near bodies of water, lakes, streams..rivers...and this distinguishes it from those fluffy white things you see in the sky ... flying sheep..thats right...thus ... Lake = Volume = Fog ...and so ends todays lesson :rules:

For a first effort at light trails you've done good Kev, trails at the same level as the vehicles IMO are harder than those taken from above as you can have issues with the headlights over powering the red tail lights, but you have balanced it well, with great focus too (y) I'm guessing you used an aperture somewhere in the region of f/22 which is exactly what I would have done :clap:

That last photo is a little unnerving :LOL: but well thought out :D

Matt
MWHCVT

For a first effort at light trails you've done good Kev, trails at the same level as the vehicles IMO are harder than those taken from above as you can have issues with the headlights over powering the red tail lights, but you have balanced it well, with great focus too (y) I'm guessing you used an aperture somewhere in the region of f/22 which is exactly what I would have done :clap:

thanks Matt... coming from some'one whose LTs i admire this is great. (y) ... but i've checked the EXIF for it.... f13 @ 30 secs ISO250

maybe i'll go out there again and use a smaller f :thinking: ..see how it makes a difference.

(y)

That last photo is a little unnerving :LOL: but well thought out :D

i had to think there for a moment..i'm told there's been a few like that... :thinking:

Last edited:
Hi Kev,

Love the colours in fun, and I love the colour of your volume too.
Fun hits the theme no problem, but I'm struggling with volume, without your comments it doesn't say volume. Still love it though.

see young neil..its like the film Inception..seen it?? :geek: .. thought about.. laid awake at night thinking that damn top IS going to stop spinning???

but.. without a title volume is a lorry about to be enveloped by fog, you accept it as is ... but was i trying to photograph something IN the mists of the fog, not the lorry...

with a title .. its a strange concoction of colour, a lorry disappearing into fog with no link to title , unless you really think about the less than obvious..volume ....

with an explanation it gives the game away as to what i was thinking....next time i'll leave you, the viewer, thinking :thinking: ... like nolan leaves us ... :bang::bang::bang::bang:

Back